Author Topic: Would You Convert For Love...?  (Read 3639 times)

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
Would You Convert For Love...?
« on: September 08, 2006, 05:06:49 PM »
I'm always curious since I was faced with this prospect and thought I could do it (Lutheran Protestant > Judaism), went to classes for three months, but finally couldn't go through with it, as I felt I was lying to myself and couldn't live with my conscience. But I'm always amazed when, in my circle of friends, I hear of someone who is willing to go through circumcision or some other emormous sacrifice, like dis-ownage by family, to be with the person they love. (This includes Catholics who marry non-Catholics and vice-versa, who seem to be conscience-stricken as well, in many instances. At least in my experience)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Re: Would You Convert For Love...?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 06:59:04 AM »
I'm always curious since I was faced with this prospect and thought I could do it (Lutheran Protestant > Judaism), went to classes for three months, but finally couldn't go through with it, as I felt I was lying to myself and couldn't live with my conscience. But I'm always amazed when, in my circle of friends, I hear of someone who is willing to go through circumcision or some other emormous sacrifice, like dis-ownage by family, to be with the person they love. (This includes Catholics who marry non-Catholics and vice-versa, who seem to be conscience-stricken as well, in many instances. At least in my experience)

I couldn't convert unless I stopped believing that Jesus is my Savior.   That will never happen.
R

Martin1981

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 02:41:35 AM »
I have nothing to convert from... I don't believe in any kind of religion or god.
However, I was able to turn a couple of people from their religious beliefs to agnosticism (sp?), and even atheism in some cases.

bjorn_fairhair

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 04:28:37 PM »
Would you believe the earth is flat for love?

Would you believe the moon is made of cheese for love?

Would you believe there is a magical man living in the sky who made the world for love?

I believe the real question to ask here is could you?

The answer at least for me as well as any other rational thinker would be most absolutely no.

bjorn_fairhair

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 05:29:09 PM »
Would you lie on an online messageboard, claiming to speak perfect Norwegian when you really don't know the language nor what's going on in the country, for approval on an online meassageboard?  ;D

Good try at least.. ahahahaha

My Norwegian is perfect. The only reason it comes out jumbled for you is because you're using an online translator which converts incorrectly.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 06:19:02 AM »
I have nothing to convert from... I don't believe in any kind of religion or god.
However, I was able to turn a couple of people from their religious beliefs to agnosticism (sp?), and even atheism in some cases.

That's an interesting claim Martin1981.

IMO, if you truly were "able to turn a couple of people from their religious beliefs to agnosticism and even atheism in some cases," they probably didn't really believe in their previously chosen religion in the first place.

How did you convince them?

How do you feel about your "accomplishments?"

Also, your sentence phrase is interesting:  you "turn[ed] a couple of people to agnosticism and even atheism in some cases."  So by "a couple" people, do you mean more than "a couple (which is 2)?"  Because even if you turned one to agnosticism, you would only have one left to turn to atheism....there aren't enough people left in your claim to turn to "atheism in some caseS."

R

Martin1981

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 03:44:11 PM »
That's an interesting claim Martin1981.

IMO, if you truly were "able to turn a couple of people from their religious beliefs to agnosticism and even atheism in some cases," they probably didn't really believe in their previously chosen religion in the first place.

How did you convince them?

How do you feel about your "accomplishments?"

Also, your sentence phrase is interesting:  you "turn[ed] a couple of people to agnosticism and even atheism in some cases."  So by "a couple" people, do you mean more than "a couple (which is 2)?"  Because even if you turned one to agnosticism, you would only have one left to turn to atheism....there aren't enough people left in your claim to turn to "atheism in some caseS."

Well, as to the phrasing, english isn't my first language, so I though that by "couple" I could imply a "certain number" of people... sorry if I mislead anyone there, but it's not actually that relevant anyways.

As to "how" I did it, it wasn't really an intentional thing, I talked to them about contemporary philosophy (not that I'm a professor or anything, just enjoy philosophy), and they found it a lot more interesting to get through life asking questions, rather than getting all their answers from god (the ultimate answer to everything).
I don't know how much they believed, I really don't care.

I don't actually feel anything in particular about my "accomplishment", it's those people who feel different, and get to live their lives with a whole new perspective of things.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 06:14:11 PM »
Well, as to the phrasing, english isn't my first language, so I though that by "couple" I could imply a "certain number" of people... sorry if I mislead anyone there, but it's not actually that relevant anyways.

As to "how" I did it, it wasn't really an intentional thing, I talked to them about contemporary philosophy (not that I'm a professor or anything, just enjoy philosophy), and they found it a lot more interesting to get through life asking questions, rather than getting all their answers from god (the ultimate answer to everything).
I don't know how much they believed, I really don't care.

I don't actually feel anything in particular about my "accomplishment", it's those people who feel different, and get to live their lives with a whole new perspective of things.

Thank you for answering.
R

Martin1981

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 10:30:28 PM »
Thank you for answering.

You're welcome  :)

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 05:25:34 AM »
i've been to curch before...girl i'm seeing is greek orthodox...it would be pretty petty of god to have me fall in love and then throw a shitfit if i convert to another religion...

of course..thats hypothetical ..if i did believe in the first place..
carpe` vaginum!

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 06:27:29 AM »
i've been to curch before...girl i'm seeing is greek orthodox...it would be pretty petty of god to have me fall in love and then throw a shitfit if i convert to another religion...

of course..thats hypothetical ..if i did believe in the first place..

Be careful with Greek, Italian, Syrian, Paki women. Those fuckers like to plump up after they've secured their man (marriage).

Word of advice... I've seen it happen with my friend, who is a tall lanky streak of piss, married a once hot paki chick, now she's a human balloon..., all in the face too, which was her best feature... :'(
الاسلام هو شيطانية

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2006, 06:28:19 AM »
it would be pretty petty of god to have me fall in love

Toxy, why do you think that would be God's doing?
R

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2006, 06:31:10 AM »
Would you believe the earth is flat for love?

Would you believe the moon is made of cheese for love?

Would you believe there is a magical man living in the sky who made the world for love?

I believe the real question to ask here is could you?

The answer at least for me as well as any other rational thinker would be most absolutely no.

But then it would seem to me that if you don't believe in God to begin with, and have no real conviction one way or another, it would be a simple matter to convert to another religion if it were that important to your beloved one.