Author Topic: Was Vince Basile The Steve Reeves Of The '70s?  (Read 10229 times)

TheGoldenPrince

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
Was Vince Basile The Steve Reeves Of The '70s?
« on: September 10, 2006, 12:33:48 AM »
Monster symmetry and classic lines on Basile! Lousy legs (though okay calves) but enough to match the great Reeves in the upper torso?
Team Goodrum!

amoney86

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: Was Vince Basile The Steve Reeves Of The '70s?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 12:49:27 AM »
umm no

ali23

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 12:58:13 AM »
just because he's white doesn't mean he's Steve. If you mean greatness than duh, Arnold.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 02:25:51 AM »
I opened this thread expecting to see someone bagging me! That is the first time anyone has compard me to the great Steve Reeves! I was surprized when I found that some French bodybuilder had a photo of me on his online site and said I had an ideal physique as far as he was concerned. That is all very flattering but I have never considered I had a great physique or was anyone's ideal. At best, I managed to look okay in a few poses. I wrote in 1970 that my aim was to beat Frank Zane and perhaps if I had gone to live in LA instead of Australia I might have got a bit bigger. When Frank came to my place in Sydney with Robert Nailon he told me that I won't have to go to Disneyland. I asked him why not. He said, "Because you have been in Fantasyland all your life!" He obviously had written my statement in the article I wrote after winning the Mr Canada title. I didn't laugh and I swear had I been in LA and a guy said something to me like that I would have trained my butt off. I never pulled out all the stops because bodybuilding never did seem to be worth all the risks and effort that is required to be the best.

TheAnimal

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 04:24:22 AM »
When your life is bodybuilding wouldn't it justify that extra mile?

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 05:04:21 AM »
I opened this thread expecting to see someone bagging me! That is the first time anyone has compard me to the great Steve Reeves! I was surprized when I found that some French bodybuilder had a photo of me on his online site and said I had an ideal physique as far as he was concerned. That is all very flattering but I have never considered I had a great physique or was anyone's ideal. At best, I managed to look okay in a few poses. I wrote in 1970 that my aim was to beat Frank Zane and perhaps if I had gone to live in LA instead of Australia I might have got a bit bigger. When Frank came to my place in Sydney with Robert Nailon he told me that I won't have to go to Disneyland. I asked him why not. He said, "Because you have been in Fantasyland all your life!" He obviously had written my statement in the article I wrote after winning the Mr Canada title. I didn't laugh and I swear had I been in LA and a guy said something to me like that I would have trained my butt off. I never pulled out all the stops because bodybuilding never did seem to be worth all the risks and effort that is required to be the best.

This is what I've been saying to you for quite some time.  You had the opportunity to become more but you played it safe  and retiring instead of seeing how far you could go in the sports.

Unfortunately, that's what separates you from Frank Zane and many other honored bodybuilders.  Frank went all the way, won the highest bodybuilding title 3 times and retired in stellar glory.  And even with his use of steroids, he still maintains a great physique to this day, has a successful business, and commands a well deserved fee for every seminar he does.

You could have been part of the era and had your name draped in gold.  But you played it safe.  That was your choice that you now have to live with
A

Farcry

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2006, 06:39:25 AM »
just curious what exercises did you do for your legs?

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2006, 06:39:33 AM »
Only "Golden Shower" would even think to make this comparison. Monster symmetry? Good upper body? He tends to get carried away, falls in love with certain white guys.  :-X
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=73618.50

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2006, 06:44:43 AM »
Good phisic! Except legs.

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2006, 07:03:43 AM »

Were you natural in that pic? Are you a lifetime natural?

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2006, 07:26:34 AM »
Very nice physique Vince!
just push some weight!

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2006, 07:52:33 AM »
hahahahaha, not even close to Reeves, Vince had a decent upper body there but let's be real, his arms looked to be 15 inches and his legs are horrible.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2006, 07:57:21 AM »
hahahahaha, not even close to Reeves, Vince had a decent upper body there but let's be real, his arms looked to be 15 inches and his legs are horrible.

Yeah, I'm sure your legs are a LOT bigger. ::)
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2006, 08:00:03 AM »
Well, times have changed, as have the fashions. Lavender Trunks!    :o   

/cue Getbig's homo-bashing squad in 4, 3, 2... ::)

sarcasm

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2006, 08:00:24 AM »
Yeah, I'm sure your legs are a LOT bigger. ::)
actually they are but i know yours aren't because you don't squat, hahahahahaha, monster light bulb body.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2006, 08:11:08 AM »
Here is a better comparison for those of you who are visually challenged like my friend sarcasm.
just push some weight!

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2006, 08:16:37 AM »
I could pump my arms and calves to 18 1/2 inches in that photo. I could do 10 to the floor full squats with 400 pounds but my thighs never got very big. I am impressed at how big the guys get their legs nowadays. If you look back at Arnold and the others their legs weren't huge, either. Bigger than mine, of course.

Like a lot of sports we really should be compared to our contemporaries. In sports like swimming guys who can't place in an Olympic final would have set world records 30 years ago. Arnold was huge for a guy 6 1 1/2 but was 235 or less in contests. Shorter guys, today, outweigh him by 50 pounds in contest condition. Who would have believed that possible?

Melvin is right about one thing. There is a point that some will not cross to win. The price is too high. In the old days we were all afraid of using steroids because it was believed you could trigger cancer, etc. I didn't use anything for over 11 years and when I did it was 2 Dianabol a day for 3 months. Mike Walzack, a doctor who advised bodybuilders on steroids, told me in Vancouver in 1970 that if I came to LA and he supervised me I could win Mr Universe within 6 months. I declined his invitation. No trophy was worth that risk or even what you had to do to win. I felt I cheated taking any steroids and Hans Gensow who inspired me to train was disgusted in 2004 when he learned about Dianabol. That was very humiliating for me and I was ashamed to ever have taken any drugs. Perhaps it is overstated about the dangers of steroids but we really have gone too far in this whole enterprise such that bodybuilding now has a really bad name to just about everyone.

dorkeroo

• Getbig IV
  • I need steroids for the brain.
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2006, 08:19:47 AM »
Nice physique eh? :P

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2006, 08:21:39 AM »
Here is a better comparison for those of you who are visually challenged like my friend sarcasm.
I don't see any similarities. Nice pasty look to go with the poor structure. Vince reminds me of Katz.  :P

sarcasm

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2006, 08:21:43 AM »
these guys don't outweigh Arnold by 50lbs. you delusional old jackass, these clowns today exaggerate their weight, Ronnie told Adonis that he was 255 on stage no matter what they claim in the magazines, there isn't one competitor on the stage today over 260lbs. no matter what they claim.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2006, 08:24:39 AM »
these guys don't outweigh Arnold by 50lbs. you delusional old jackass, these clowns today exaggerate their weight, Ronnie told Adonis that he was 255 on stage no matter what they claim in the magazines, there isn't one competitor on the stage today over 260lbs. no matter what they claim.

Interesting, yet what do you then think of the Ironman weight in? If the weight is adjusted, some of the competitors weighting in at around 200 pounds should really be + -  180 on stage..

sarcasm

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2006, 08:26:50 AM »
Interesting, yet what do you then think of the Ironman weight in? If the weight is adjusted, some of the competitors weighting in at around 200 pounds should realy be + -  180 on stage..
is that the one where they weighed in wearing the huge Max Muscle football jerseys, sweats and shoes?
Jaejonna rows 125!!

Farcry

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2006, 08:29:14 AM »
400 pounds is a big squat, what would u say contributes to bigger legs? the development of the 45 degree angle leg  press or just that legs have become more importants in modern bodybuilding?

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2006, 08:29:20 AM »
is that the one where they weighed in wearing the huge Max Muscle football jerseys, sweats and shoes?

Yep. The clothes can not account for all that weight, and some of the competitors weight in at over 270+. John Balik don't seem like a liar that would have fixed the weight in order to make the competitors heavier. If so, they must have a real time calibration device in the weight or some programming, if not, some competitors would in reality weight less than 180.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2006, 08:29:53 AM »
The 50 pound thing was because Arnold was 225 or so at his best in contest condition. I suppose you could add about 10 pounds for depletion. I have no real idea what the guys weighed in contest shape. I weighed about 200 pounds in that photo above and competed at about 190 and still wasn't cut in my thighs. I could do a strict bench press with 400 pounds then.