Author Topic: Betil Fox DVD - benching!  (Read 6685 times)

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
Re: Betil Fox DVD - benching!
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2006, 08:52:31 AM »
Here's the picture of Bertil with 505:

Looks like he shot for parallel and not below:

Not sure what he could do for one deep rep below parallel, but with a power suit on I don't see why he couldn't hit 700 for a single.  Even wraps add lots of bounce to a lift and with that, a lot of weight.  For deads, I have no idea.  By the sheer strength of the rest of his body I would assume he could pull at least 600.  Coupled with a bench of at least 550 in contest form, I think his total would be at 1,850 or more.  When you think about it, Johnnie Jackson's contest total was 2,172 and Ronnie's would probably not be higher than 2,300 at most.  Granted, even 50 pounds to the total means a lot by powerlifting standards.
Bodybuilding Pro.com

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2006, 08:56:32 AM »
Probably best genetics ever.

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2006, 09:00:35 AM »
did bertil perform these lift raw? Im thinking he could have gotten 725 on the squat, atleast a 650 dead (John Cena has done more than that apparently) and a bench in the region of 575
Scouser on Tour

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2006, 09:03:35 AM »
did bertil perform these lift raw? Im thinking he could have gotten 725 on the squat, atleast a 650 dead (John Cena has done more than that apparently) and a bench in the region of 575
i disagree, Bertil probably could hve squatted around 600 for 1 below parallel, he squatted very high, maybe 600 on the deadlift like Matt said and maybe 525-530 bench, ther is NO WAY that Cena has deadlifted or squatted 650 plus.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

ronrico

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2006, 03:39:10 PM »
Matt C, I'm not to sure about your opinion on his form. Maybe you could explain it to us one more time. To answer the question about his dead-lift strength, he did not do these while he lived here in Calif. Back workouts were typically  weighted wide grip pull-ups to the front, pull-downs behind the neck, barbell bent rows, one arm db rows and low pulley rows. The weights used in both of those videos were NOT the heaviest he could do,ie..trying to show off, they were merely representations of a typical workout, if anything, some of the poundages were a little on the light side for what he normaly used. I remember one bench workout 3 days before the Night of the Champions were he benched 525 for 3 or 4 reps. He really never counted what the weight was on the bar, just knew the number of 35's on each side. 35's were used because on stripping sets it gave the weight reduction he wanted. They were also the incriments used to build up the bar on squats and on the press behind the neck.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2006, 12:50:00 AM »
bertil fox was one of those pros who had a narrow structure...he looked like shit to me..too narrow,no delts,no back and no verall width..he guys like haney and mike quinn were were wider than him..fox in my opinion had big ass arms though but overall fox was just a bitch...he was not big enough
Ya, he looked horrible.  ::) Overall he always looked better than Haney, with better balance and without Haney's 17" arms & putrid legs but then there's something called politics.  ;D

the shadow

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • THE FLAG OF THE ZAPATISTA ARMY OF LIBERATION
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2006, 01:26:04 AM »
Ya, he looked horrible.  ::) Overall he always looked better than Haney, with better balance and without Haney's 17" arms & putrid legs but then there's something called politics.  ;D
blah blah blah blah blah blah...wat ever fox sucked and so do you
RATM RULZ THE WORLD

Fletch

• Getbig II
  • You must be very proud of yourself
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2006, 02:46:51 AM »
.....my life is so incomplete if i dont know exactly what fox lifted every day! and also exactly haw far down he squatted and how his bench form was!....

pathetic. go to the gym and stop pissing over what anybody else, pro or not lifts. Fvcking tools.

truth

Word
Put it on the Underhills

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2006, 02:50:43 AM »
wat ever fox sucked and so do you
Your judgement on BB's as good as your spelling-try golf.

sandstone

• Getbig II
Re: Bertil Fox DVD - benching!
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2006, 02:51:07 AM »
I hate watching most pros work out. The only one I really liked was Dorian on the bench because it at least looked like he had decent form. I know it works for them and they are all bigger than I am, however, if I saw a guy lift like most pros in the gym without their size, I really wouldn't think they were doing it correctly.  :-\

You gotta watch Levrone bencing, he has the most perfect form ever.

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2006, 03:17:06 AM »
now that is impressive benching! Every rep he does up to 405 looks so easy its unreal. Even the first 2 on the 495 look no bother to him, i never realised he was THAT good at benching
Scouser on Tour

dorkeroo

• Getbig IV
  • I need steroids for the brain.
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2006, 06:43:03 AM »

Wow. I guess what mom said about monsters coming out at night was true  :o That was very impressive, thanks for the clip. Any idea what year that was from?

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2006, 07:08:56 AM »

17" arms and putrid legs, hahahahaha, you really lost all credibility with that statement. ::)
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2006, 07:10:26 AM »
17" arms and putrid legs, hahahahaha, you really lost all credibility with that statement. ::)
hahahaha, you can't handle the truth, you worship Haney because your arms are only 14 inches after 10 years of training.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2006, 09:18:51 AM »

in all fairness Haney had small arms and chicken legs. He was ALL chest, that is what made him famous. His back was probably the best of his era but nothing else jumped out, well atleast IMO
Scouser on Tour

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2006, 10:26:27 AM »
Haney only looks good in shots that emphasize the torso; anything that makes the arms or legs too prominent he gets killed. One of the worst ever MMs.

Wide lats and incredible taper to a tiny waist distract from the obvious imbalance of the torso with puny arms & legs; it's comical. Both of the guys in this pic look better overall despite bigger waists-their arms are bigger and the difference in quad size is a joke-Haney has chicken legs.

Fox, Robinson and Padilla have no Sandows and Haney has 8-maybe the IFBB's a commercial enterprise with agendas?  ;D

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2006, 10:40:00 AM »
it's also interesting how on his big barbell lifts he uses 35lb. plates after the first two 45's, i wonder what that was about.

That happened allot.  Back then we didn't have an unlimited number ofplates like today.  So if anyonewas squatting or whatever there just might not have been enough plates.  Also, at time if he isworking up and he adds a 35 it takes less time and energy to add just another 35 instaed of walking around trying to find a 45.  Nothing odd about it back then.  I know I used to do it because seeing all 45's on the bar would pysche me out.

The one thing I find funny is how anyone can say anything negative about Bertils strength.  No matter if the video shows him doing half reps or whatever, that was not the case in most of his lifts.  The one thing about how we lifted back then (most of the time) is we had good form.  I learned it from the beginning.  It was more important back then to do the exercise correctly than to put a ton of weight on the bar to showoff to increase video sales or impress others.  More pride in lifting back then today.  The gym was fun and a classroom at the same time.  NO personal trainers.  If you wanted to know something you walked up to Louie or Arnold or Franco or whoever and ask them.  Then you would find yourself doing sets with a professional BB and an idol for FREE.  It is shitty nowadays.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2006, 10:47:56 AM »
That happened allot.  Back then we didn't have an unlimited number ofplates like today.  So if anyonewas squatting or whatever there just might not have been enough plates.  Also, at time if he isworking up and he adds a 35 it takes less time and energy to add just another 35 instaed of walking around trying to find a 45.  Nothing odd about it back then.  I know I used to do it because seeing all 45's on the bar would pysche me out.

The one thing I find funny is how anyone can say anything negative about Bertils strength.  No matter if the video shows him doing half reps or whatever, that was not the case in most of his lifts.  The one thing about how we lifted back then (most of the time) is we had good form.  I learned it from the beginning.  It was more important back then to do the exercise correctly than to put a ton of weight on the bar to showoff to increase video sales or impress others.  More pride in lifting back then today.  The gym was fun and a classroom at the same time.  NO personal trainers.  If you wanted to know something you walked up to Louie or Arnold or Franco or whoever and ask them.  Then you would find yourself doing sets with a professional BB and an idol for FREE.  It is shitty nowadays.

Yup. I look back at the vintage video's and I wish I was in the scene back then. these new guys have zero personality. As adonis would say  ALL DRUGS

zed

• Getbig II
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2006, 11:47:39 AM »
Haney only looks good in shots that emphasize the torso; anything that makes the arms or legs too prominent he gets killed. One of the worst ever MMs.

Wide lats and incredible taper to a tiny waist distract from the obvious imbalance of the torso with puny arms & legs; it's comical. Both of the guys in this pic look better overall despite bigger waists-their arms are bigger and the difference in quad size is a joke-Haney has chicken legs.

Fox, Robinson and Padilla have no Sandows and Haney has 8-maybe the IFBB's a commercial enterprise with agendas?  ;D

whos the guy on the far left he looks better than both yates and haney

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2006, 11:55:56 AM »

My guess is that Levrone was at his all time strongest in 96-97, when he also was at his biggest. Only Levrone (and Earl) knows though.

This clip is from "M3", a few years after. 2001?

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2006, 01:44:51 PM »
whos the guy on the far left he looks better than both yates and haney

Sonny Schmidt
Scouser on Tour