Author Topic: What would happen nowadays?  (Read 1972 times)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
What would happen nowadays?
« on: September 13, 2006, 07:25:44 AM »
If you were on a flight and the plane was hijacked, what would you do?  My guess is we would see more of what occurred on flight 93. 

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
Re: What would happen nowadays?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 07:49:45 AM »
If you were on a flight and the plane was hijacked, what would you do?  My guess is we would see more of what occurred on flight 93. 

you mean disappear into a underground top secret government bunker where the bodies were offloaded and then remotely to crash in a field...OK that was for 240..:)

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 08:10:56 AM »
Planes don't get hijacked anymore.  After 9/11 all pilot's cabins are locked and bolted and wouldn't be opened during flight under any circumstance or threat.  The only potential danger these days is of terrorists somehow managing to detonate explosive devices.  In this case if the plane doesn't explode and go down in a fiery ball of flames, vaporizing all the passengers immediately, there would at least be a hole big enough to suck half the people out (who would thankfully pass out without seconds) and send the rest hurtling to the earth at unimaginable speeds to a messy grave of twisted steel and bodyparts. Either way, I don't think you'd have time to do much more than scream hysterically and mess your clothes.  (I travel alot and have ample time to ponder about these things.)

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 08:14:43 AM »
explode and go down in a fiery ball of flames, vaporizing all the passengers immediately, there would at least be a hole big enough to suck half the people out (who would thankfully pass out without seconds) and send the rest hurtling to the earth at unimaginable speeds to a messy grave of twisted steel and bodyparts.

Holy shit DeeDee. I am glad you got that off your chest! :o
The House that Ruth built

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 08:32:44 AM »
 ;D . Sometimes there isn't a whole lot to do during a long stopover...

(If it were my misfortune to be on such a flight, I think I would go for the instant vaporization... )

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 08:46:50 AM »
;D . Sometimes there isn't a whole lot to do during a long stopover...

(If it were my misfortune to be on such a flight, I think I would go for the instant vaporization... )

I think it may be cool to be sucked out a hole in the cabin. :P

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 08:57:07 AM »
I think it may be cool to be sucked out a hole in the cabin. :P

Well, if you really think about it, at a high enough altitude, you would lose consciousness within minutes, so maybe it isn't so bad to go that way after all.  You'd experience this last feeling of freefalling and total weightlessness, then you blissfully fall asleep and so you'd be long gone before the impact sends your body splatting and shattering into a hundred little bits and pieces when it slams into the earth.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 09:40:34 AM »
If I knew I was going to die and it was a given that the hijackers were killing everyone then I would go down swinging. Take them out with me.

PB

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 10:36:15 AM »
Well, if you really think about it, at a high enough altitude, you would lose consciousness within minutes, so maybe it isn't so bad to go that way after all.  You'd experience this last feeling of freefalling and total weightlessness, then you blissfully fall asleep and so you'd be long gone before the impact sends your body splatting and shattering into a hundred little bits and pieces when it slams into the earth.

God DeeDee, you have such a literal way with describing this. :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 10:45:18 AM »

I think a lot of flights have air marshals.  Still, I'd bum rush a hijacker in a New York minute. 

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 11:13:45 AM »
God DeeDee, you have such a literal way with describing this. :)

Lol, well in all honesty, although I do fly a lot, I've really come to hate it in the last few years and often have claustrophobic flutters, especially on long flights. (And yes, I imagine plane crash deaths all the time when I'm in the air)

........................ .....

I think it's very difficult to say what you would do in such a shocking, dire situation. (Although the chances of being successfully hijacked these days are zero.) I was a lucky passenger on one flight where a violent air rage fight broke out between two men and one girlfriend, and it's frightening to be stuck in a small, rather vulnerable space, when people are screaming and throwing things and having to be pulled apart physically. It''s not like a bar, where you can just leave. Anyway, there were several large male passengers who didn't move out of their seats to help. Everyone was in shock and just sat there. I think it's very difficult to say what you would or wouldn't do until you are actually faced with a life or death situation.

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2006, 02:34:24 PM »
DeeDee are you an american citizen? is it difficult for Canadians to come over the border and get decent jobs in the US . . . or is that only reserved for our neighbors down south?

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2006, 02:53:34 PM »
I think a lot of flights have air marshals.  Still, I'd bum rush a hijacker in a New York minute. 

Today hijackers wouldn't stand a chance. Every able bodied person on the plane would bullrush them. They would have to be armed with more than boxcutters those scumsucking losers.

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2006, 07:46:37 AM »
DeeDee are you an american citizen? is it difficult for Canadians to come over the border and get decent jobs in the US . . . or is that only reserved for our neighbors down south?

No, I'm a Canadian... can't you tell, I'm so kind and gentle.  :)

To answer your question, as is the case in every westernized country, if you're a model, poet, or dishwasher, it's relatively easy to get in because every country values beauty, art and menial labor. But for the rest, it's rather difficult, as it should be.  Why should a Canadian accountant take away a job from an American. In my case, I was invited  :), but there are lots of Canadian expats i.e. painters, writers, actors, models, living illegally in the states... mostly NYC and LA.