Author Topic: a priest i used to know accused of stealing $ from his church parish!  (Read 1625 times)

G.R.H.

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
i don't know how many of you live in n.j., but there was an article in todays star ledger about a priest who stole over $600, 000 from his church parish in raffel ticket $.  i know this priest very well and i went to europe with him last year! i am devestated. he seemed like such a nice person and priest. he even heard my confession once or twice.  has this ever happened to any one else out there? i am almost to the point of leaving the catholic church because of this. i am really upset! :(

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: a priest i used to know accused of stealing $ from his church parish!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 03:57:49 PM »
i don't know how many of you live in n.j., but there was an article in todays star ledger about a priest who stole over $600, 000 from his church parish in raffel ticket $.  i know this priest very well and i went to europe with him last year! i am devestated. he seemed like such a nice person and priest. he even heard my confession once or twice.  has this ever happened to any one else out there? i am almost to the point of leaving the catholic church because of this. i am really upset! :(

I've known pastors who have left their wives for other women and done other bad things.  I've never left church because of it.  I try and keep in mind that I'm not a Christian and do not attend a particular church because of a man. 

You shouldn't leave the church because the priest might be a crook.  He's human and all of us are imperfect and make mistakes.  For every bad apple there are ten others who aren't like that.  You cannot go anywhere to escape imperfect people.   

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 04:08:04 PM »
Maybe leaving the church and thinking for yourself might not be a bad idea...

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 12:00:01 AM »
Who gives a shit about religion these days anyway? I am a man of science and proven fact and that is what I believe in until someone can prove to me otherwise.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 06:24:54 AM »

I'm sorry that happened GRH, but as Beach Bum said, we are all fallible human beings who make mistakes and also do wrong things on purpose.  Heck, there are even blood family members that will screw you over for their own gain.

I don't think leaving the Catholic Church is a bad thing at all though (for other reasons), but I don't think you should stop attending church all together.  Find a new one that believes and teaches the bible.
R

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 06:27:34 AM »
I don't think leaving the Catholic Church is a bad thing at all though (for other reasons), but I don't think you should stop attending church all together.  Find a new one that believes and teaches the bible.

why is it not a bad idea?

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 06:48:49 AM »
why is it not a bad idea?

I would probably have to PM you or put my reasons on the relig. board.  I guess I'm referring mostly to the Catholic Churches in my town too...I'm sure they are not all exactly like these.....
R

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 06:52:33 AM »
Yes PM me, i am very curious as to this statement

G.R.H.

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006, 03:59:17 PM »
guys, don't get me wrong here! i used to be very involved in my church parish and i attended church every sunday and on holy days.  however, i used to go to church drunk or hungover . after sobering up, i didn't go to church as much anymore, but i still believe in god and my catholic religion.  yes, i know people make mistakes and are human.  once, a priest told me to "hurry up, there's a line" when i went to confession with him.  i never usd him again for confession. anyway, i try to do what is right and good, and i do not hold it against him.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 04:45:54 PM »
All religious officials steal in the name of god, this ain't nothing new!

Going to a house of worship while drunk, sounds fun!

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2006, 08:56:49 PM »
All religious officials steal in the name of god, this ain't nothing new!

Going to a house of worship while drunk, sounds fun!
Would be the only way I could get through it!