Author Topic: Funny Quote - For Football Fans  (Read 1987 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Funny Quote - For Football Fans
« on: September 21, 2006, 03:50:38 PM »
Ever seen a 300 pound RB? Last year, UH converted D-lineman Reagan Mauia to RB for the last game of the season. He was 360. He lost about 60-70 pounds since then and is now about 290, give or take. Runs extremely well. Ran a 4.8 in the Spring. Great feet. Absolutely punishes people. Here is what UNLV safety Jay Staggs said after "tackling" Mauia on Saturday night:

"'My helmet completely turned sideways,' he said. 'I looked through my ear hole, and I heard what kind of sounded like dry pasta breaking. I wasn't sure if it was my neck or my nose. Then I started to taste the blood, and I was like, 'Thank God, it's my nose.'"

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2006/Sep-18-Mon-2006/sports/9713145.html

Broke his nose.   :o

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
Re: Funny Quote - For Football Fans
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 03:26:18 PM »
OH, SNAP!!!!  :o

I remember at the end of my jr. year the head coach said that the university was trying to schedule a game against Pitt.  At the time, Pitt has a 280lb. tailback by the name of Craig "Ironhead" Heyword.  I was NOT looking forward to that game.   :o  Heyword (he died earlier this year at the young age of 39 due to a brain tumor, may he RIP) was only listed at 5'9-5'10, so he would have been a load to bring down.  He ran like a 4.6 or something crazy like that.  Circa 1988-89, that was unheard of.  Thank the Lord, we ended up scheduling Navy instead.  SPHEW!!!!

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 03:29:57 PM »

I remember at the end of my jr. year the head coach said that the university was trying to schedule a game against Pitt.  At the time, Pitt has a 280lb. tailback by the name of Craig "Ironhead" Heyword.  I was NOT looking forward to that game.   :o  Heyword (he died earlier this year at the young age of 39 due to a brain tumor, may he RIP) was only listed at 5'9-5'10, so he would have been a load to bring down.  He ran like a 4.6 or something crazy like that.  Circa 1988-89, that was unheard of.  Thank the Lord, we ended up scheduling Navy instead.  SPHEW!!!!

I remember that "ironhead" nickname . . . was this guy in commercials for soap or something?

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 03:41:03 PM »
I remember that "ironhead" nickname . . . was this guy in commercials for soap or something?
Yeah, they made a joke about him in some Senate hearings back in the day.  here's a pic of him.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 03:42:31 PM »

June Jones has Mauia wearing No. 34 in honor of Ironhead.  He's actually bigger than Ironhead.  When he runs people over there is a collective "ooooohhhhhh" throughout the stadium.  Love it!  Gives me chicken skin.   :)

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 03:45:03 PM »
Jamar Toombs, played for A&M, had similar dimensions . . . he is famous for dragging like 4 sooner defenders (they won the natl championship that year) into the endzone w him. i'll see if i can find a pic later.

One of my boys wound up playing semi-pro ball w him . . . Toombs had all the talent in the world, but didnt have the character

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 03:56:59 PM »
June Jones has Mauia wearing No. 34 in honor of Ironhead.  He's actually bigger than Ironhead.  When he runs people over there is a collective "ooooohhhhhh" throughout the stadium.  Love it!  Gives me chicken skin.   :)
LOL!  I bet there is!  It's certain that Mauia will make ESPN highlights with him mashing up some poor LBs or DBs.  :D

Jamar Toombs, played for A&M, had similar dimensions . . . he is famous for dragging like 4 sooner defenders (they won the natl championship that year) into the endzone w him. i'll see if i can find a pic later.

One of my boys wound up playing semi-pro ball w him . . . Toombs had all the talent in the world, but didnt have the character
I remember him!!!!  Man, that cat used to mash up some defenders.  Big boy!   :o

Biggest skilled player I ever had to tackle was Eric Green.  Don't know if you guys remember him or not.  But he was HUGE. He played for Liberty University, and played for the Steelers and the Jets, I think.  I remember b-l-a-s-t-i-n-g him on a pop pass in my zone.  He fumbled the ball, and we recovered.  I was still celebrating with my hands up in the air towards the crowd, and expecting him to still be layed out!!!  Next thing I know, I get a pat on the shoulder pads and a deep voice goes, "good hit, brah" and his shadow goes by me....

I dropped my hands and thought to myself...."this is gonna be a LONG day"!  LOL

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 04:53:52 PM »
i know some aggie alums, and they tell me how Kyle field (which is supposed to be one of the loudest stadiums in the nation b/c of its design) would erupt w "TOOOOOOMBS" every time he touched the ball . . . I've actually seen him up close . . . his wrists were about the size of a woman's knees.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006, 04:57:00 PM »
I think The Refrigerator was probably the biggest RB in human history.   :)

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 05:01:42 PM »
that would make Warren sapp the biggest receiver in human history.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2006, 11:19:20 PM »
Sapp could also vie for the biggest idiot in recorded human history.  I can't stand that guy.

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2006, 11:22:14 PM »
Sapp could also vie for the biggest idiot in recorded human history.  I can't stand that guy.

hahahaha . . . why? i'm not a big fan either. but he was a very good ballplayer.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2006, 11:26:02 PM »
hahahaha . . . why? i'm not a big fan either. but he was a very good ballplayer.

How much time do you have?   :)  He's not very bright.  He has very little common sense.  He's obese.  He chews tobacco.  He has a foul mouth.  He's immature.  And worst of all, he caused the greatest WR in NFL history to miss a season by illegally grabbing his face mask and causing him to tear up his knee (and refused to apologize about it). 

The fact that I'm a lifelong 49er fan has NOTHING to do with my opinion.   :)

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2006, 11:32:52 PM »
ah . . . Jerry Rice. I thought they wound up on the same team. Didn't patch things up?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2006, 11:35:13 PM »
I don't think Jerry ever held it against Sapp, being the class act he is and always has been. 

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2006, 11:36:18 PM »
I thought I remember Jerry saying some things in the media . . . could be wrong though. this was quite a while ago, right?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2006, 11:40:02 PM »
Week 1 of the 1997 season.  Geeze.  Seems like it was just yesterday. 

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2006, 11:53:28 PM »
not . . . I couldn't yet drink legally.  ;D

It's funny how some moments seem so fresh in the memory, and others fade fast. Oklahoma still sucked back then. Now they've been to the top and humiliated again. Had Clinton not had sexual relations with that woman in 1997? We knew about Al-Quaeda, but we were still dreaming of dot com fortunes . . . actually on the leading edge of that boom-bust. Gas was like a buck thirty a gallon.

some things stay the same though: Brett Favre was qb of the Packers.  ;D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2006, 12:06:40 AM »
Yeah.  Cowboys were 6-10, Niners were 13-3.  My kids didn't cost me an arm and a leg.  I was closer to 200 than 250.   :'(  My son didn't eat as much as I do.  He's freakin 10 years old.   :-[

Hawaii was actually in a recession in 97, but the dot com industry affected us.  There was some trickle down increases in salaries in some professions.  Lots of dot millionaires bought property over here.