Author Topic: Lee Priest Run for Athletes' Rep?  (Read 4353 times)

dorkeroo

• Getbig IV
  • I need steroids for the brain.
Lee Priest Run for Athletes' Rep?
« on: September 22, 2006, 07:57:20 AM »
If things with the IFBB don't get too ugly, does anyone else here (Lee included) believe he would make a good rep? His agenda is quite obviously different from that of Bob's and he wouldn't be afraid to take the good fight to the suits. Anyways, just a thought.

Adam Empire

• Getbig IV
  • Gobias Industries
Re: Lee Priest Run for Athletes' Rep?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 08:01:57 AM »
Four more years!  Four more years!

Wait, that line doesn't work here...
Motherboy (the band).

Original Sin

• Getbig IV
  • You fucking disappoint me!
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 08:04:51 AM »
 ::) ::)

<waiting for TheBlockHead to ahve a run at Lee over this>
Just Bad Bad Blood!

artie

• Getbig II
  • Let's roll!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 08:17:38 AM »
I'm not really familiar with the situation, but what leverage do the rep and the athletes actually have ? If the rep would really be on the bbers side and started demanding things, why wouldn't the dictators just laugh?

I mean apart from the unrealistic action of pros boycotting the IFBB in mass numbers.

dorkeroo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 08:23:02 AM »
I am not sure either as to what a rep can actually do.

Quite a few people on here disagree with many things Bob has done however, and believe that he represents the IFBB and not the guys competing in it. I am not sure if he is meant to represent the women either as when women's bodybuilding was getting a raw deal with their competitions, he could only talk about how much of an economic loss it was to the IFBB to do it any other way.

Anyways, as you asked, I can't answer your question, however, if Lee does indeed take them to court over this last thing he got involved in and wins, it might help the athletes stay healthier longer and make more money as they would have more power (maybe) and wouldn't risk everything they had on one show.

I am aware that making a living from bodybuilding is a choice, however, many things about the IFBB seem very unfair and it is unlikely it could get much worse than it already is.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 08:33:26 AM »
The role of the athletes rep is to echo the opinions and concerns of the athletes as a group...to give them a voice where we had none before.

I present proposals to the Board, and work within the system (chain of command) to properly submit to get changes made that will benefit the athletes...both men and women.

I've also helped many athletes individually, by working in their best interest to secure work/ contracts...and be a mediator.

artie

• Getbig II
  • Let's roll!
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 08:40:40 AM »
What this whole thing boils down to is this:

1. There is a framework (IFBB/Weider-AMI/their magazines, etc)
2. There are rules within this framework

Problem 1.: The whole IFBB bodybuilding framework is wrong. It's a dictatorship and it's like slavery. You don't start to bargain about how much food the slaves get, or whether they can sleep 4 or 5 hours a night. You abolish it and set up a new framework where the profit/work is shared fairly. So you can't argue that the IFBB has rules and you can choose to not joint the club. The IFBB achieved a monopoly in this sport exploiting the talent pool and they should have a moral obligation to the sport to allow bodybuilders to prosper (they do most of the work and take the risks).

Problem 2.: The IFBB rules are not adhered to. (They disregard the doping rules because that brings them the dollars because the fans demand "muscle". You go to a non-sanctioned event: rule applied, you're banned)

dorkeroo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 08:46:34 AM »
I appreciate you giving your opinion Bob.

I think what bothers people here is that from day one it appeared that instead of encouraging Lee to compete and seeing anything at all good from the PDI, you promised him a suspension. It did not seem you were representing him as an individual.

There never seemed to be much sympathy and it seemed that you were merely quoting the rulebook instead of maybe telling Lee you would be doing whatever you could to help him in his plans. If you are powerless for some other reason, sometimes it isn't a bad thing to tell people that.

If I or the people here have been misinterpreting what did/ are trying to do, maybe if you clarified things might not be so heated around here and I will apoligize in advance if that is the case. Also, thanks for clarifying a bit what it is you do, but, understand that we as fans only want what is best for the sport that has brought us all together here.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006, 08:49:09 AM »
What we have is an elite group of professional bodybuilders within and somewhat separated from the larger IFBB. Bob delights in telling ignorant people like me that I know nothing at all about how it all works. So I presume it is indeed insider stuff and that has always been a part of bodybuilding. Those at the top don't communicate with those trying to get there.

The idea to have one professional represent the concerns of athletes is a fair idea. However, if that position is not an elected one then how do we remove that person if we are not satisfied with the job he is doing? Seems to me it is business as usual with the IFBB. If Bob doesn't like what anyone says about the IFBB he gets nasty or short with them. How on earth is one professional supposed to be objective if he was appointed to his position? Sure he might have volunteered but clearly he is using that position to further his career and status. That doesn't mean he is doing a bad job or that he hasn't done many good things. He just has a conflict of interest as has been pointed out by Dorkeroo and others. Clearly Dorkeroo is no dork or a dope.

The way Bob dismisses other well-meaning people demonstrates his attitude to those he doesn't approve of and that is not a good quality for any political figure. Instead of kissing butt higher up in the IFBB he should be siding with Lee and anyone else who feels they didn't get a fair go. We are wasting our time debating with Bob because, clearly, he can affect virtually no change at all. His position is there to make the IFBB appear that they are fair-minded. The truth is the whole organization is a dictatorship and everyone is supposed to follow orders and not upset the system.

dorkeroo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 09:48:31 AM »
Very good post and thank you for the kind words  ;D

Lee_a_priest

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2006, 10:56:46 AM »
I'm not really familiar with the situation, but what leverage do the rep and the athletes actually have ? If the rep would really be on the bbers side and started demanding things, why wouldn't the dictators just laugh?

I mean apart from the unrealistic action of pros boycotting the IFBB in mass numbers.

See if i was rep i would take the proposal to the Committee and say these are some chanbges we would like.Some get changed some don't.But i would have some in there were we don't compromise.It gets chanbged or no athlete will compete in the shows coming up.Why can't they see we have the power so why not use it.The IFBB uses it(abuses)it  i mean.So as rep i would tell the guys these are what we want we will compromise on this and that,but this one gets changed or we dont compete understand?We all and united on this.Yes i would be polite and listen the the board but there are sometime we as the bodybuilding group take a stand and tell them NO we get this changed or no contest.This is when the athletes as a group need to unite and agree to take a stand.Cuase without the athlete what do they have?Like Bob said there are other places to compete and if the IFBB stop shows then the next federation would get all the guys so what does the athlete have to loose=NOTHING but the IFBB does :)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2006, 10:57:38 AM »
Bob, on a scale from 1 to 10, how would you rate your performance as Athlete's Rep thus far?

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2006, 11:09:12 AM »
See if i was rep i would take the proposal to the Committee and say these are some chanbges we would like.Some get changed some don't.But i would have some in there were we don't compromise.It gets chanbged or no athlete will compete in the shows coming up.Why can't they see we have the power so why not use it.The IFBB uses it(abuses)it  i mean.So as rep i would tell the guys these are what we want we will compromise on this and that,but this one gets changed or we dont compete understand?We all atnd united on this.

You keep failing to see the obvious, Lee...there is no "we". Other than yourself (and Valentin), no one else seems to be concerned with competing elsewhere...As you are well awware, I tried to get all the guys on the same page a few years ago, with the same rhetoric you're using now...YES, in theory and on paper it would absolutely work.

In real life...it doesn't. As you yourself answered somee time ago when I asked you why YOU didn't attend the Union meeting for this same cause...your reply was "I was getting ready to compete, putting on color, etc..." Bottom line is, you were concerned about yourself, and only yourself. You didn't see any value in standing up for the other guys, or the cause.

Well, guess what...here we are 3 years later with you on the other side of the coin...and guess what the oother guys are doing? Getting ready for a competition, putting color on, etc..just like you were.

As I've stated 100 times now..If there was an interest level, I'd would certainly express the concerns of the athletes to the powers that be...as of this time, you're a 2 man army.

leycus 101

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2006, 11:10:38 AM »
See if i was rep i would take the proposal to the Committee and say these are some chanbges we would like.Some get changed some don't.But i would have some in there were we don't compromise.It gets chanbged or no athlete will compete in the shows coming up.Why can't they see we have the power so why not use it.The IFBB uses it(abuses)it  i mean.So as rep i would tell the guys these are what we want we will compromise on this and that,but this one gets changed or we dont compete understand?We all atnd united on this.

Exactly correct!!!  If you were truly the atheletes rep and were for the bb's you would be making some demands . Sometimes you have to skip over the chain of command in order to get somewhere, kinda have to have the take no prisoners approach.  If the civil right movement went up the chain of command there would still be white/black only bathrooms; you smell me  :) ?  From reading your posts i think you coroperate a little too much with the heads of the ifbb and do not have the backs of the bb's as much as you should.
pump'em dump'em

Lee_a_priest

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2006, 11:12:07 AM »
You keep failing to see the obvious, Lee...there is no "we". Other than yourself (and Valentin), no one else seems to be concerned with competing elsewhere...As you are well awware, I tried to get all the guys on the same page a few years ago, with the same rhetoric you're using now...YES, in theory and on paper it would absolutely work.

In real life...it doesn't. As you yourself answered somee time ago when I asked you why YOU didn't attend the Union meeting for this same cause...your reply was "I was getting ready to compete, putting on color, etc..." Bottom line is, you were concerned about yourself, and only yourself. You didn't see any value in standing up for the other guys, or the cause.

Well, guess what...here we are 3 years later with you on the other side of the coin...and guess what the oother guys are doing? Getting ready for a competition, putting color on, etc..just like you were.

As I've stated 100 times now..If there was an interest level, I'd would certainly express the concerns of the athletes to the powers that be...as of this time, you're a 2 man army.

And Bob i brought this up years before then from day one in 94 i have been saying what you said then and no one listened so you know past is the past move on.Take a stand and just tell them like it or not this is what we are doing.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2006, 11:20:33 AM »
Take a stand for WHO??

Didn't you notice when you exclaimed "OK, BOYS...HERE WE GO, WHO'S WITH ME?!?"...and looked behind you, there wasn't anyone there??

I can only pass along the wishes of the masses...last time I checked, 2 guys wasn't considered the overwhelming majority.

If you want support, you'll have to get all the other guys to agree with your stance...good luck.

Shawn Ray

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • Digital Muscle Media
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2006, 11:26:06 AM »
 ::)

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2006, 11:34:34 AM »
Lee thinks like a union man and thus sees how powerful the competitors can be if they work together. Bob and Shawn have been there, done that and know the majority will do nothing to change things.

Here is something you cannot deny. Who benefits by changing the status quo? Ronnie, Jay or Dexter? Nope. Those guys like the way the system works. Well, Jay might be annoyed that he hasn't won but they are still in the money. Will the guys down the placings dare upset the applecart and cry foul? Nope. Because they will never place higher than eighth. Case closed. The only people willing to listen are those out of the placings and out of the loop. These people may benefit by changes. Then you have the example of what happened to the guys who did that wrestling gig. It was a one-way street and no one returned successfully.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2006, 11:38:10 AM »
Does an "athletes rep" need to spell?

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2006, 11:41:08 AM »
Bob.    Lee.     There's only one way to settle this......two words fellas:   dance battle.

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2006, 11:41:30 AM »
The role of the athletes rep is to echo the opinions and concerns of the athletes as a group...to give them a voice where we had none before.

I present proposals to the Board, and work within the system (chain of command) to properly submit to get changes made that will benefit the athletes...both men and women.

I've also helped many athletes individually, by working in their best interest to secure work/ contracts...and be a mediator.

Oh yea? ::)
No Worries 4 me

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2006, 11:47:18 AM »
I know the answer to this, but Bob do you send out to every IFBB member a ballot or anything on your proposals. Or do you just submit the ones you want.  Have you contacted every pro and said guys we need to unite and act as one.  See no matter how scared you are, you can with numbers.  Think about Bob.  And I know the answer is no especially since you didn't even have Lee's phone number.
No Worries 4 me

sgt. d

• Getbig V
  • Don't tase me bro
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2006, 11:55:08 AM »
Does an "athletes rep" need to spell?

sorry lee  ;D

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2006, 11:57:58 AM »