Author Topic: Dogs Kill Horse  (Read 4036 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Dogs Kill Horse
« on: September 22, 2006, 04:25:53 PM »
Steelers' Porter cited in incident with his dogs 

NFL.com wire reports 

WEXFORD, Pa. (Sept. 21, 2006) -- Two dogs owned by Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Joey Porter got off his fenced property and killed a miniature horse on a nearby farm, leading to citations that carry several hundred dollars in potential fines.

Porter's dogs, a pit bull and a mastiff, got loose Sept. 19 and killed the horse that was less than three feet tall. The dogs were still in the dead horse's corral when police and animal control officials arrived, Northern Regional Police Chief Bob Amann said.

Porter helped police get the dogs off the property and back to his home. Because Porter's yard is fully fenced, police did not know how the dogs got loose.

"It was an accident and I am not sure how the dogs escaped," Porter said in a statement. "I have reached out to the owners of the horse and will do whatever I can to help them get through this very unfortunate situation."

The horse's owners have so far declined comment.

Porter was cited for harboring dangerous dogs, failure to confine the dogs, and failure to have the dogs licensed. The fines carry several hundred dollars in potential fines.

Porter said he raised the dogs as pets and not as attack animals and plans to send them to a kennel in California for safe keeping.

Porter lives in Pine Township, north of Pittsburgh, but officials with the Northern Regional Police said Porter's dogs were licensed in his hometown of Bakersfield, Calif., not in Allegheny County.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/PIT/9676571

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
Re: Dogs Kill Horse
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 04:43:35 PM »
What is it with people and owning these vicious dogs?

They are putting others at risk with these animals.

I know some assholes will start whining and start blaming the owens, but is it funny when someone who's done nothing wrong gets mauled just because you fancy raising some animal?

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 05:26:47 PM »
they shouldv'e kept that horse locked in a barn

E
E

body88

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 06:00:59 PM »
What is it with people and owning these vicious dogs?

They are putting others at risk with these animals.

I know some assholes will start whining and start blaming the owens, but is it funny when someone who's done nothing wrong gets mauled just because you fancy raising some animal?

Don't even get me started...... I went ape shit in the last pit thread and I will do it again. Any large dog is very capable of doing what both these dogs did. The funny thing is you have a 1 million times better chance to be killed by lightning than a pitbull or any other dog for that matter.

You may not like these breeds but it has nothing to do with there lineage.

My puppy is considered a "dangerous" breed. he is a pure bred American bulldog.... Most people who meet him think he is cute as hell. he is large. 80 lbs at 8 months..... He is also trained and has had extensive socialization. He is a form of mastiff. Do you think I should not be able to own him? If he was to meet you on the street ( forget the internet shit) and happly greet you how would you react?

My point is, you cannot just write off an entire breed due to a few unfortunate events a year. There are literally millions of pitbull and mastiff owners who live peacefully without incident year after year. The ratio is much greater towards the peaceful side than not. Even with all the tough guy assholes abusing pitting and training pits to act tough the numbers are still minuscule of attacks compared to the amount who own them.

There should be sanctions and legislation. Not Innocent breeds being exploited to get votes and bail out the assholes who turn them into weapons. Like i said go ahead and ban pits... Next year you will be banning rots..... then Dobermans etc etc etc

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 06:23:12 PM »
My giant dog has a head the size of a TV and shark teeth but he's a big baby.   :)  But my little 11 pound miniature Schnauzer is a fucking maniac.  :o

I'll take pics of them.
S

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 06:32:27 PM »
My giant dog has a head the size of a TV and shark teeth but he's a big baby.   :)  But my little 11 pound miniature Schnauzer is a fucking maniac.  :o

I'll take pics of them.

I have to agree.

Big dogs seem to be push-overs where as dog like a Chi are vicious ankle biters.

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 07:11:55 PM »
All dogs are capable of being vicious, big or small thats not the point. how many times have you heard of a poodle killing or mauling a little child. im a huge dog lover but the bottom line is owners have to be responsible of their dogs. the larger the dog and more responsibility, its pretty simple.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 08:46:35 PM »
There was a story here back in the 90's where on kauai a couple Pit Bulls got away from its owner and was chasing a horse around in a field.  After over an hour the horse got very tired.  The dogs cameup close and charged the horse.  The horse was on the edge of a cliff and fell off the cliff down to the rocks and ocean below.  They ended up killing the two dogs and fined the owner

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006, 11:14:25 PM »
There was a story here back in the 90's where on kauai a couple Pit Bulls got away from its owner and was chasing a horse around in a field.  After over an hour the horse got very tired.  The dogs cameup close and charged the horse.  The horse was on the edge of a cliff and fell off the cliff down to the rocks and ocean below.  They ended up killing the two dogs and fined the owner

Seems like there is a pretty bad pit bull attack here about once a year.  Not saying they're the only dogs who attack people here, but they're the only ones that seem to make the headlines. 

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2006, 12:28:55 AM »
I am the worlds biggest dog lover.. I have a Golden and a yellow lab. i plan on rescueing  a Berner (Bernese Mountain dog) when i get back from Afghanistan.  That said..this is completely f'd up. There is something wrong with those type of dogs. It does not matter how Porter trained em,  they may have been bread like that before he got them. I feel terrible for the horse folk. I'm sure he's doing all he can but what can u really do for those people... I'm sure they loved that horse.
L

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2006, 02:41:43 AM »
A good friend of me had a Stafford-shire. Lived an astonishing 18 years, and was by far the most reliable dog I've ever met. Not a hunch of aggression against adults or children. Only had a minor problem with Shepherd's, because he was bitten by one when he was a pup. When he saw one, he was looking silently for an opportunity to fight, so you had to keep him close. If you let him loose, he would go for  the kill. Besides that, a good dog, and very social.

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2006, 06:46:14 AM »
Why is it that when there is a shocking pit bull attack that the pit bull loving crowd gets defensive? Shocking pit bull attacks that make the news happen about 3 times a year here in the north east. They would be better served by agreeing that pit bulls can be incredibly aggressive and dangerous than pretending that pit bulls are persecuted without reason.

Yes, there are good pit bulls but there's a whole hell of a lot of bad ones too, partly because moron thug owners like having a badass dog and partly because they're an aggressive and dangerous breed.

newmom

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2006, 06:48:52 AM »
I'm scared of little dogs..to me they are unpredicatable..i love big dogs..and body88 yours is just adorable...

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2006, 06:56:02 AM »
Why is it that when there is a shocking pit bull attack that the pit bull loving crowd gets defensive? Shocking pit bull attacks that make the news happen about 3 times a year here in the north east. They would be better served by agreeing that pit bulls can be incredibly aggressive and dangerous than pretending that pit bulls are persecuted without reason.

Yes, there are good pit bulls but there's a whole hell of a lot of bad ones too, partly because moron thug owners like having a badass dog and partly because they're an aggressive and dangerous breed.

U said it better then I did... :)
L

scooter

• Getbig III
  • the fvckin priest deserved to die
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2006, 09:51:57 AM »
I dont think that any one breed is viscious I have been attacked by a bunch of dogs (german sheppard chow pit bull and 2 others that were mutts)
it just depends pn the situation and the owners the german sheppard used to be a police dog and I hit his owner we were playing football o he did what he was supposed to do. The other attacks were for the most part my fault. I dont think that any breed of dog should be banned that is crazy. I do think that when someone gets attacked or something like that then the owners should be fined and depending on the severity of the attack maybe the dog should be put down

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2006, 09:54:03 AM »
I would bet my cat can be more vicious than most dogs out there....

then again.....

what kind of damage can a 10lb cat really do?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2006, 10:04:31 AM »

then again.....

Your cat avatars are really funny.   :)

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2006, 10:13:01 AM »
Actually.....the more I think about it....pound for pound....she is pretty damn vicious

;D

body88

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2006, 11:58:16 AM »

There a millions of pit owners. There are more cocker spaniel attacks per year than pitbulls. you don't hear about those do you? It is useless arguing with people like you anyway. I argue with statistics and facts. Yo think what you want and make outrageous claims since you saw 3 attacks glorified in the news.

Bring me scientific studies proving pitbulls are more aggressive than any other dominant breed. You cant. They temper score higher than most all dogs. You critics know nothing about the breed and claim things because you see these dog on the news. You can thank all the hip hop thug loser shitbags for the hell this breed goes through. It will be funny in 5 years when all you guys are crying about the next dangerous breed. No dog is born aggressive or mean. Then learn that behavior.

You take two dogs.. A 75 lb pitbull and a 70 lb lab and raise them wrong. You know which dog will be more aggressive? Neither. They will both act the exact same way. Like untrained unaltered dominant males. Pits are no more aggressive than any other dominant breed of dog. And there are a ton of breeds classified as "dominant". Funny how none is calling mastiffs aggressive and dangerous but automatically attach that to the pit. Weird? I thought a mastiff was one of the attackers also?

Pitbulls are the new tough guy dog. They are extremely strong and agile. They are also tough as nails and fight to the death for whatever it is they are protecting or willing themselves to do. They are used as weapons. They are forced to fight. They are purchased by people who want to be "tougher". The attributes that make them a superdog are exactly what attracts all the fools who own and abuse them. Pitbulls are extremely good natured. Have extremely stable temperaments and are some of the most caring and gentle animals in the world.

Here is a list of myths most people think are true. Laughable really.

Pitbulls are more aggressive than other dominant breeds
Pitbulls lock there jaws and are unable to unlock them once attached to something
Pitbulls turn on there owners for no reason all the time
Pitbulls have a drive to hurt things and humans

Every single one of those is false. But you watch the news and seems to me the are looking for shock and not facts. Punish the idiots who turn these animals into weapons.They are not BORN that way.

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2006, 12:45:43 PM »

There a millions of pit owners. There are more cocker spaniel attacks per year than pitbulls. you don't hear about those do you? It is useless arguing with people like you anyway. I argue with statistics and facts. Yo think what you want and make outrageous claims since you saw 3 attacks glorified in the news.

Bring me scientific studies proving pitbulls are more aggressive than any other dominant breed. You cant. They temper score higher than most all dogs. You critics know nothing about the breed and claim things because you see these dog on the news. You can thank all the hip hop thug loser shitbags for the hell this breed goes through. It will be funny in 5 years when all you guys are crying about the next dangerous breed. No dog is born aggressive or mean. Then learn that behavior.

You take two dogs.. A 75 lb pitbull and a 70 lb lab and raise them wrong. You know which dog will be more aggressive? Neither. They will both act the exact same way. Like untrained unaltered dominant males. Pits are no more aggressive than any other dominant breed of dog. And there are a ton of breeds classified as "dominant". Funny how none is calling mastiffs aggressive and dangerous but automatically attach that to the pit. Weird? I thought a mastiff was one of the attackers also?

Pitbulls are the new tough guy dog. They are extremely strong and agile. They are also tough as nails and fight to the death for whatever it is they are protecting or willing themselves to do. They are used as weapons. They are forced to fight. They are purchased by people who want to be "tougher". The attributes that make them a superdog are exactly what attracts all the fools who own and abuse them. Pitbulls are extremely good natured. Have extremely stable temperaments and are some of the most caring and gentle animals in the world.

Pitbulls lock there jaws and are unable to unlock them once attached to something

Every single one of those is false. But you watch the news and seems to me the are looking for shock and not facts. Punish the idiots who turn these animals into weapons.They are not BORN that way.

People like me? You don't know anything about me yet you're making wild assumptions.

And the thing you seem to be missing is that the reason you hear about pit bull attacks is because whatever is attacked is often killed when you're talking about pit bull attacks. I don't know about you but I don't know of any cocker spaniels that have killed a human being or a horse, but I may be wrong.

You're too intelligent for this kind of debate body.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2006, 01:23:10 PM »

then again.....

Well thank goodness you didn't say "My kitty" again.
~flower~ was right, ...there's something disturbing about a grown man who uses the phrase "My kitty"
w

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2006, 02:16:24 PM »
Well thank goodness you didn't say "My kitty" again.
~flower~ was right, ...there's something disturbing about a grown man who uses the phrase "My kitty"

Well....

I doubt I used the phrase "my Kitty".

See my cats name is "Kitty".

So by saying Kitty did this or Kitty did that makes sense.  It's no different than saying George did this or George did that.  Saying My George did this or that could also be appropriate....but I doubt that I did.

Make sense Judy?

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2006, 02:42:11 PM »

Well said, and 100% correct.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2006, 03:10:20 PM »
Why the homo sapien gotta hold the pitbull down?  :D

body88

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2006, 04:12:45 PM »
People like me? You don't know anything about me yet you're making wild assumptions.

And the thing you seem to be missing is that the reason you hear about pit bull attacks is because whatever is attacked is often killed when you're talking about pit bull attacks. I don't know about you but I don't know of any cocker spaniels that have killed a human being or a horse, but I may be wrong.

You're too intelligent for this kind of debate body.

I just read what I wrote. I wrote this quickly on break from work. I take back my statement "people like you". You have every right to your opinion and granted what you hear and see on the news I cannot blame you for that.

I hope to change peoples mind on a breed that gets a bad name due to the media and also the people who turn them into the weapons you see on the news.

I was going to argue an analogy I thought of on the drive to work. If the average human is 155 lbs. Then you have a person born who grows to be 200 lbs with superior strength toughness intelligence and drive. Both people are the same species just different races. But both share the same testosterone levels and basic genetics makeup. Both go through puberty the same way and mature at the same time. One just grows to be stronger tougher and more agile than the other. My question is since the second person has the ABILITY to hurt someone more if they where to both lash out should he be blackballed outlawed and punished from birth if he is no different than the others? Pitbulls are not born mean. Pitbulls are stable creatures. Alot of times you see inbred abused pits "attacking" people or animals. Sometimes you do not. I think these two dogs formed a pack mentality and followed there nautral urge to hunt smaller "game". Pits where used to bait bulls. Mastiffs to guard farms and catch livestock. When instincts take over and dogs go into a "pack" mentality no matter the breed these things  happen. if you read some k9 behavioral studies most serious attacks or bites occur when dogs are formed in a pack. They whip each other into a frenzy. Much like when humans fight in numbers and things get out of hand very fast. The only difference is we are using fist and these animals teeth. They do not understand when enough is enough.They get a primal urge and follow it. the results are often tragic.This horse storywas in the news because both animals where "tough guy" breeds and star football player Joey Porters dogs.You guys think if this waws joe blo from texas on a farm this would have been covered? Cocker spaniels have been credited with several child deaths and mauling. Along with Akita's huskies and many other non mastiff or terrier breeds. The dogs with the most bites yearly are labs I believe. There needs to be much tougher laws to discourage people from acting irresponsible with animals. Poeple need to be held accountable for there actions. Freak dog attacks happen daily. You only hear about the pitbulls since it is a contraversy.

I do agree there should be much tougher penalties for people negligent or abusing and turning animals of any breed into weapons.