Author Topic: Did your Parents Make you close minded?  (Read 2137 times)

Wombat

• Getbig IV
  • Your name tattooed to my ass!
Did your Parents Make you close minded?
« on: September 23, 2006, 02:12:20 AM »
Do you believe that if your parents were into a certain religion and you study that said religion and embrace it like so many do, wouldn't most people who refuse to study or even look into other religions be selling themselves short???

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Re: Did your Parents Make you close minded?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 07:47:11 AM »
Yes. 

Some people blindly accept as true what the religion their parents have told them is true w/o even looking into the belief system they claim to follow.  In other words, some people don't even know what their own religion teaches.

People that blindly follow one belief system w/o looking into the possibility that another may be true could be "selling themselves short" as you say.

Even if you were brought up to believe in one in particular as true, studying other ones can strengthen your faith that your initial belief system is the truth.
R

Purge_WTF

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 08:40:40 AM »
Did your Parents Make you close minded?

No--I was born that way. :)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 09:12:21 AM »
NAH,  they made me open minded.  But they've acted closed minded as they got older.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 09:45:07 AM »
Do you believe that if your parents were into a certain religion and you study that said religion and embrace it like so many do, wouldn't most people who refuse to study or even look into other religions be selling themselves short???

I think so.  Regardless of what religion your parents forced you to accept as a child, you should always investigate other faiths and reach your own conclusions when you become an adult (like I did).  Keeping an open mind and educating yourself will help strengthen your convictions IMO. 

I was actually just thinking about that yesterday.  I'm going to call my mother (when she returns from her Alaskan cruise) and thank her (again) for bringing me up in the Christian faith (even though she is a bit dogmatic).  I'm glad I didn't have to find my way as an adult, and that I only needed to confirm that I was on the right track. 

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 11:42:33 AM »
My mom is very liberal and she told me to follow my emotions.

My mind told me that religion was bullshit and not give a fuck and my mom is cool with that.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 11:49:46 PM »

My mind told me that religion was bullshit and not give a f**k

Uh, dude, that was da debil talking to you. . . .  Don't listen.