Author Topic: What is a pro bodybuilder?  (Read 9462 times)

bcrizzy

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
  • Getbig!
What is a pro bodybuilder?
« on: September 25, 2006, 09:56:58 AM »
definition of a pro=someone who gets paid for a job/activity............most pro's don't get paid for anything. i'd say 5% of pro's actually get paid for anything even related to bodybuilding. so what constitutes a pro? a card from the ifbb that costs money (dues).  i'm curious what the total amount of purses is for all ifbb sanctioned shows in a given year. i would put the number at 1,500,000 total. that's not a lot of money up for grabs. when you factor in all the effort, and money involved in preparing for just one show, why would anyone want to do this for a living. anyone of them aside from ronnie coleman and maybe jay cutler would be better of being a bus driver and doing this as a hobby lol

Figo

• Getbig V
Re: what is a pro bodybuilder?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 10:07:55 AM »
I think a lot of them are doing normal day-to-day jobs, anyway, out of necessity.

The rich get richer, and the saps, I mean pros, put their lives more and more on the line, taking bigger risks to please the fans and the powers-that-be, taking nothing or not even half the drug-bill home. No health-care, and what sport do you think needs it most?

I'm not saying f**k the IFBB, but the PDI is a good development, and I wish them all sucess, not only as a federation, but also to give the Weider Empire a wake-up call. The sport has grown, but has it really?
I get the feeling its actually regressing sometimes.

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 10:19:31 AM »
I think a lot of them are doing normal day-to-day jobs, anyway, out of necessity.

The rich get richer, and the saps, I mean pros, put their lives more and more on the line, taking bigger risks to please the fans and the powers-that-be, taking nothing or not even half the drug-bill home. No health-care, and what sport do you think needs it most?

I'm not saying f**k the IFBB, but the PDI is a good development, and I wish them all sucess, not only as a federation, but also to give the Weider Empire a wake-up call. The sport has grown, but has it really?
Agreed!
Há pouco cuidado com a saúde dos atletas!
S

Lee_a_priest

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 10:21:30 AM »

VERY TRUE ........ :(

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 10:37:55 AM »
BTW, congrats, Lee. Our very own first PDI Champion!

Hope you do the O.

bcrizzy

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 12:00:33 PM »
what does the average pro make anually, net, after expenses, food bills ,drugs?  95% of them probably lose money. not a very smart business to be in. normally you could say maybe they are sacrificing now for future success, but even if you are the top guy in the sport at best you are going to make 500 000 which is decent but everyone else from the top spot down is struggling. trust me there are lot easier ways to make 500 k a year than slowly killing yourself with drugs   just my opinion

bigbiceps

• Getbig III
  • Team Levrone
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 12:04:54 PM »
what does the average pro make anually, net, after expenses, food bills ,drugs?  95% of them probably lose money. not a very smart business to be in. normally you could say maybe they are sacrificing now for future success, but even if you are the top guy in the sport at best you are going to make 500 000 which is decent but everyone else from the top spot down is struggling. trust me there are lot easier ways to make 500 k a year than slowly killing yourself with drugs   just my opinion

Let us know how to make 500k easily.  If I have a $1 million dollars how can invest that money to get 500k a year?

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2006, 12:10:47 PM »
Exactly the reason I have zero aspirations to be a "pro".  Luckily, my genetics agree. ;D
Most pros have serious health issues down the road and for what, a trophy and low rent contract?  There are more important things in life.  It's a shame the sport is based on drug use and not just work ethic.
N

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006, 12:14:00 PM »
Yeah, thats why I never went pro... ;D

bcrizzy

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2006, 12:17:13 PM »
Let us know how to make 500k easily.  If I have a $1 million dollars how can invest that money to get 500k a year?
i didn't say it was easy to make 500 k a year, all i said is that there are much easier ways to make 500k a year then attempting to be the number one bodybuilder in the world when only one person can hold that title and everyone else attempting it is losing money doing so...................... ....there are many ways to make  about 500 k  a year with 1 million to invest.........one quick way is to buy a boars head coldcut route there is one for sale on routebrokers.com right now....the total cost is 1.3 million  your net is 6900 per week if u work it yourself u'll earn about 375000 a year and still have your health

bigbiceps

• Getbig III
  • Team Levrone
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2006, 12:24:13 PM »
i didn't say it was easy to make 500 k a year, all i said is that there are much easier ways to make 500k a year then attempting to be the number one bodybuilder in the world when only one person can hold that title and everyone else attempting it is losing money doing so...................... ....there are many ways to make  about 500 k  a year with 1 million to invest.........one quick way is to buy a boars head coldcut route there is one for sale on routebrokers.com right now....the total cost is 1.3 million  your net is 6900 per week if u work it yourself u'll earn about 375000 a year and still have your health

I went the Hospitality Industry Route and make about 300 thousand net a year.  Only I have a loan for 400k that I'm paying off in addition to the 1 million I've invested.  But, you still have to work but you do not have to be number 1 like you said in Bodybuilding.  So, I agree bodybuilding is not the smartest thing to do.  It just feels good doing it.  :)

bcrizzy

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2006, 12:30:41 PM »
I went the Hospitality Industry Route and make about 300 thousand net a year.  Only I have a loan for 400k that I'm paying off in addition to the 1 million I've invested.  But, you still have to work but you do not have to be number 1 like you said in Bodybuilding.  So, I agree bodybuilding is not the smartest thing to do.  It just feels good doing it.  :)
good for i'm glad to see your successful but i'm sure you break ur ass but to make great money we all do right lol.....i agree bodybuilding/ working out  is a great hobby just a shitty business lol  continued success to u

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2006, 12:46:37 PM »

That was a good post. I agree 100% I hope the PDI kicks some serious ass and helps the athletes where the help should be. In Medical and proper pay checks.
bodybuildersreality.com

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2006, 01:03:30 PM »
Speaking of which, I was joking with my workout partner that most pros take a cab or the city bus to the Arnold Classic lol.

People like King are delusional enough to think we are jealous of his lifestyle.  Jealous of what exactly?  ???  Compromising your physical health to get paid peanuts (rightfully so - supply and demand) and look horrible?

/ reality check.  Don't want to get too worked up here.

You know why pros get so worked up over what we say around here?  Because they are in no better of a position in life than we are and probably doing a whole lot worse.  If pro bodybuilders were making millions like pro football players they would laugh at what we post on here.  But they are going through the same ups and downs and struggles as everyone else.  I would say a lot of us here have much better lives than most pros.  THAT is why they take everything so personally.  People wonder why football players don't care about what is said in forums - if you were making millions a year you wouldn't care either.
are you saying that you aren't impressed by Kamali's just about to be repossesed H3 Hummer, his 140,000 dollar home with "italian marble" floors, his shoddy website, his 46 inch waist, his "wife", his knock off Versace sunglasses and his membership to NY Sports Clubs, Matt?
Jaejonna rows 125!!

HUGEPECS

• Getbig V
  • School of Hard knocks Gym
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2006, 01:46:34 PM »
the funniest thing about being a pro bodybuilder is most of the time after they retire, they ended up broke as shit. specially those who dont manage their little pocket change well
Get Big, or Die Trying

bigbiceps

• Getbig III
  • Team Levrone
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2006, 05:29:39 PM »
good for i'm glad to see your successful but i'm sure you break ur ass but to make great money we all do right lol.....i agree bodybuilding/ working out  is a great hobby just a shitty business lol  continued success to u

Thanks, yes in order to make money you need to break your ass and sacrifice long hours of work.  None of that I need my 2 days off and real expensive cars and useless stuff.  My motto is if you can't deduct as a business expense don't buy it.  Work, work, work until you have sufficient money to pay someone to make money and work for you!  Then buy as you please with a conscience.  Too many people want to live rich without being rich.  The rich are stingy and the poor are not hence the rich stay rich and the poor stays poor.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: What is a pro bodybuilder?
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2006, 05:44:37 PM »

A pro bodybuilder is someone that has attained the title of Pro, from winning a contest or via designation of their home country, in winning the contest back home. It does not mean that you immediately get money in return.

One needs to market yourself, promote yourself, get the deals you want by doing it yourself. It will not come to you unless you are in the top 15. Some amatuers do a lot better than some pros because of this.

But there is always companies looking for someone out there - the question is what is the price.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2006, 05:49:56 PM »
A pro bodybuilder is someone that has attained the title of Pro, from winning a contest or via designation of their home country, in winning the contest back home. It does not mean that you immediately get money in return.

That makes no sense

Technically....if you receive a money placement in any contest or sport....wouldn't that separate you from being a novice?

SWOLETRAIN

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2006, 05:57:09 PM »
I think it boils down to the contests and contest money. The IFBB makes little effort to go mainstream with bodybuilding. Expansion of the sport does not seem to be a major priority. Without further expansion, the sport is stuck on a financial plateau. Professional bodybuilders are the best in the world. They have proved throughout the amateur ranks that they are able to compete at the pro level. Its a crying shame that the sport doesn't want to expand and bring more youth into the sport. But, we can always have faith that one day things will change.
-

HRDCOR

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2006, 06:14:29 PM »
For most parts Male Pro bodybuilders are extremely good looking , very well endowed , amazing lovers whom have sculptured there beautifull physiques to represent that of a Demi God and are seen by the female species as the ultimate in sexual attraction and prowness !! ;D ;D ;D

HRDCOR IFBB PRO

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2006, 07:25:38 PM »
Thanks, bro...I appreciate that!!

Bob Cicherillo- fellow IFBB Pro

Miss Karen

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2006, 09:36:59 PM »
Some of the Pros who finish out of top 10 are the rich and healthy ones that don't need to win at all costs.They call them the Smart ones.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2006, 09:38:26 PM »
appreciate that as well, ms. karen!!

Miss Karen

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2006, 09:42:14 PM »
I knew you were one of the smart ones Chick anyone over 40 and doing Pro shows with their health in check and not worried about money are the True winners.

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2006, 10:38:02 PM »
For most parts Male Pro bodybuilders are extremely good looking , very well endowed , amazing lovers whom have sculptured there beautifull physiques to represent that of a Demi God and are seen by the female species as the ultimate in sexual attraction and prowness !! ;D ;D ;D

HRDCOR IFBB PRO

NZ pro = US gym member, they are similar in size the US guy probably has better shape upon joining the gym, 12 months later hes well past the NZ pro stage. ;D