Author Topic: What is a pro bodybuilder?  (Read 9464 times)

JaggyShortBuff

• Getbig IV
  • Art Work In Motion
Re: What is a pro bodybuilder?
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2006, 10:46:35 PM »
appreciate that as well, ms. karen!!

WoW, humble support from a sarcastic supporter...Keep up the good rep Bob...Your career is far from the positive on what you goals were....Douche...Not negative only wondering why Bob had to shoot for the "War of the Worlds" Instead of comparing himself to all top level athletes even in his age range and be owned....Ummmm Ronnie Coleman ring a bell...How much younger than you is he????
Watching The Haters

JaggyShortBuff

• Getbig IV
  • Art Work In Motion
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2006, 10:52:57 PM »
I hate to post after my own post, but Toney Freeman would steal your lunch money in the school yard too Bob....The sad thing is he is almost as "old" as you are.....
Watching The Haters

El_Spiko

• Getbig III
  • The freaky-geeky
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2006, 11:05:33 PM »
WoW, humble support from a sarcastic supporter...Keep up the good rep Bob...Your career is far from the positive on what you goals were....Douche...Not negative only wondering why Bob had to shoot for the "War of the Worlds" Instead of comparing himself to all top level athletes even in his age range and be owned....Ummmm Ronnie Coleman ring a bell...How much younger than you is he????
Hey, Bob may not be the best bodybuilder on the planet, but he's still a pro bodybuilder, and he paid his dues and then some getting to the pros. He might be a douche sometimes on the boards, but not all the time, and whether you agree with him or not, love him or hate him, he has done way way more to help expand the sport and get it more mainstream than any other recent or current bodybuilder. More exposure has meant more money out there for other bodybuilders. Bob markets himself and bodybuilding very well. Even if he is an assclown on the boards sometimes ;D
I min/max my physique

JaggyShortBuff

• Getbig IV
  • Art Work In Motion
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2006, 11:12:58 PM »
Hey, Bob may not be the best bodybuilder on the planet, but he's still a pro bodybuilder, and he paid his dues and then some getting to the pros. He might be a douche sometimes on the boards, but not all the time, and whether you agree with him or not, love him or hate him, he has done way way more to help expand the sport and get it more mainstream than any other recent or current bodybuilder. More exposure has meant more money out there for other bodybuilders. Bob markets himself and bodybuilding very well. Even if he is an assclown on the boards sometimes ;D

You mean in that statement that Bob promotes that which benefits himself the most...Nothing has really changed in bodybuilding and lets not kid ourselves that it has....I hear what Bob is preachin, but I only see his pockets fillin....Not a conspiracy only the truth....Propaganda is a bitch that you will follow around to death hoping to get a piece of....The truth is what it is - an un-marketable dead end street......
Watching The Haters

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2006, 11:15:02 PM »
definition of a pro=someone who gets paid for a job/activity............most pro's don't get paid for anything. i'd say 5% of pro's actually get paid for anything even related to bodybuilding. so what constitutes a pro? a card from the ifbb that costs money (dues).  i'm curious what the total amount of purses is for all ifbb sanctioned shows in a given year. i would put the number at 1,500,000 total. that's not a lot of money up for grabs. when you factor in all the effort, and money involved in preparing for just one show, why would anyone want to do this for a living. anyone of them aside from ronnie coleman and maybe jay cutler would be better of being a bus driver and doing this as a hobby lol

Right. I've asked these very questions before, and was flamed for it.

I would love some insight as to why ANYONE would think of this (por bbing) as a career choice.
HAHA, RON.....

El_Spiko

• Getbig III
  • The freaky-geeky
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2006, 11:29:47 PM »
You mean in that statement that Bob promotes that which benefits himself the most...Nothing has really changed in bodybuilding and lets not kid ourselves that it has....I hear what Bob is preachin, but I only see his pockets fillin....Not a conspiracy only the truth....Propaganda is a bitch that you will follow around to death hoping to get a piece of....The truth is what it is - an un-marketable dead end street......
Hey, it worked for Arnold. He did it by kissing ass and promoting the hell out of both himself and bodybuilding. And he made himself a millionaire doing it.  I'm not going to hold wanting to make money against Bob. Sure I don't agree with him on some things, but just because he makes money off of the ways that he promotes the sport, doesn't mean he still isn't promoting it. How much publicity has Ronnie given bodybuilding compared to Bob?

And yes, I realize his stance on the PDI can be viewed as hindering the sport. I totally agree there, I think the PDI is a good thing for bodybuilding if it can stay alive long enough. Like I said, he's an asshat sometimes, but a popular asshat ;)
I min/max my physique

gordiano

• Getbig V
Re: what is a pro bodybuilder?
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2006, 11:32:16 PM »
Thanks, yes in order to make money you need to break your ass and sacrifice long hours of work.  None of that I need my 2 days off and real expensive cars and useless stuff.  My motto is if you can't deduct as a business expense don't buy it.  Work, work, work until you have sufficient money to pay someone to make money and work for you!  Then buy as you please with a conscience.  Too many people want to live rich without being rich.  The rich are stingy and the poor are not hence the rich stay rich and the poor stays poor.

Amen.

For some people, it's all about apperances........
HAHA, RON.....

gordiano

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2006, 11:35:02 PM »
That makes no sense

Technically....if you receive a money placement in any contest or sport....wouldn't that separate you from being a novice?

You're thinking of real Sports......... :-\
HAHA, RON.....

JaggyShortBuff

• Getbig IV
  • Art Work In Motion
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2006, 11:39:56 PM »
The sad fact is that Bob is lost in thinking he has the swagger to be anything remotely close to what Arnold is....Yes, he has had a few very brief appearances on film, but he is starting much to late and trying to beat a dead horse on his views that he claims he is doing anything about....Please....
Watching The Haters

AVBG

Re: what is a pro bodybuilder?
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2006, 11:42:19 PM »
Amen.

For some people, it's all about apperances........

All about apperances..  ;D

El_Spiko

• Getbig III
  • The freaky-geeky
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2006, 11:50:47 PM »
The sad fact is that Bob is lost in thinking he has the swagger to be anything remotely close to what Arnold is....Yes, he has had a few very brief appearances on film, but he is starting much to late and trying to beat a dead horse on his views that he claims he is doing anything about....Please....
I wasn't trying to say he is near Arnold's caliber of self promotion. Sorry if I came off that way. No one's matched Arnold's promotion skills. Arnold did Pumping Iron to get both bodybuilding and himself out into the public eye more. The more bodybulding grew, there more money there was for him to make. And by the time Pumping Iron was made he was already a millionaire from his real estate investments. That's what he did with most of the money he made. Sorta like Jay these days, he's made a lot of money from real estate. Bob may be making money, but he's putting a lot of work into marketing himself and creating these opportunities for himself, and the more positive publicity there is of bodybuilding and bodybuilders the better.
I min/max my physique

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2006, 12:43:07 AM »
It's interesting when pros like Tom Prince get off the juice then say they are happy to be lighter because it's healthier.  It's as if every pro knows full well that what they are doing is extremely unhealthy yet they do it anyway.  Why not just lose the weight and not compete to begin with?  I don't think any dream is worth fulfilling if it's not a healthy one.
Bodybuilding Pro.com

bcrizzy

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2006, 05:39:33 AM »
if any bodybuilder who has an ifbb pro card put half the effort that it took to become a pro into any other profession they would most likely be extremely successful.............. of course maybe they have a passion for bodybuilding and wouldn't derive as much joy from doing something else but i just don't see the joy in stuffing urself full of drugs and food to become a professional with almost no monetary rewards to show for it. i don't know any ifbb (or pdi) pros personally but it seems to me if u were to take a glimpse into there daily lives its a pretty miserable experience,,where's the upside? whats the exit strategy? whats the long term plan?  thats what i think about i guess that and shitty genetics will save me   lol

Mobil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2006, 06:29:01 AM »
I knew you were one of the smart ones Chick anyone over 40 and doing Pro shows with their health in check and not worried about money are the True winners.

???

real men= no rubbers

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2006, 10:15:57 AM »

brad_74

• Getbig II
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2006, 01:38:41 PM »
I think 9,99 out of every 1,000 bodybuild not for the income but because it is what they love doing.  I mean I guess that is more than what most ppl can say about their jobs.  Most would probably even admit that it gets them nowhere financially.

bcrizzy

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2006, 06:23:33 AM »
I think 9,99 out of every 1,000 bodybuild not for the income but because it is what they love doing.  I mean I guess that is more than what most ppl can say about their jobs.  Most would probably even admit that it gets them nowhere financially.
well for the average person thats great but for a pro who is supposed to make his living at bbing thats just not acceptable......thats like me saying i became a stockbroker for the love of stocks, no i do it for the money just like everyone else who has a job , bills, life lol