Author Topic: Guitar question for BSB or Captain Equipose  (Read 2525 times)

liberty

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Guitar question for BSB or Captain Equipose
« on: September 26, 2006, 05:05:57 AM »
So...as you may or not know....I'm a newb
I suck so bad I'm starting to learn christmas songs now  ;D
So I'm trying to learn to play please come home for christmas by the eagles
I know most of it but a few chords I don't get
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/e/eagles/please_come_home_for_christmas_crd.htm

How do you play B7/D#     A/G#    and  F#/E
Probably already know this but if you put your cursor on the chord its shows you where to fret
SOme of the diagrams show 5 strings being fretted or are these barre chords?

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
Re: Guitar question for BSB or Captain Equipose
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 07:13:45 AM »
I'm not an expert by far but B7/D# looks like it's a regular chord, just a little weird on beginners fingers. A/G# looks like just and A that goes to G# and I couldn't see F#/E but if it's the F#m/E that's a barre chord.

I think there are others who might be able to better explain.
$

YoMamaBeenLurking

• Getbig IV
  • The Black Knight
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 07:37:53 AM »
So...as you may or not know....I'm a newb
I suck so bad I'm starting to learn christmas songs now  ;D
So I'm trying to learn to play please come home for christmas by the eagles
I know most of it but a few chords I don't get
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/e/eagles/please_come_home_for_christmas_crd.htm

How do you play B7/D#     A/G#    and  F#/E
Probably already know this but if you put your cursor on the chord its shows you where to fret
SOme of the diagrams show 5 strings being fretted or are these barre chords?

What do you mean by how do you play them, where to place your fingers?  Each chord has a tab shot for you when you hover over them.  Simply place your fingers on the strings where there is an x.  Do you understand how to read tab?  http://guitar.about.com/library/blhowtoreadtab.htm
BKS - Guardian of Truth

liberty

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 08:11:21 AM »
for example
is this two shapes--->http://www.8notes.com/guitar_chord_chart/Gx.asp

When I see this I say...ok i DON'T HAVE SIX FINGERS
So do you fret the EAD or an option is the GBE ??or do you barre the B AND E STRING and play the G string all together as a chord ?

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 08:29:53 AM »
Buy yourself a Mel Bay guitar book.
The House that Ruth built

YoMamaBeenLurking

• Getbig IV
  • The Black Knight
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 11:44:15 AM »
for example
is this two shapes--->http://www.8notes.com/guitar_chord_chart/Gx.asp

When I see this I say...ok i DON'T HAVE SIX FINGERS
So do you fret the EAD or an option is the GBE ??or do you barre the B AND E STRING and play the G string all together as a chord ?

That's a bar chord.  Use your index finger to make the bar, and your second, ring and pinky on the rest of the shape.  You can slide that same shape up and down the fretboard and change the chord, 5th fret A, 3rd fret G chord etc.  Learn the basic bar chord shapes and you will expand your playing by leaps and bounds as a beginner.
BKS - Guardian of Truth

YoMamaBeenLurking

• Getbig IV
  • The Black Knight
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 11:47:06 AM »
Here...

BKS - Guardian of Truth

liberty

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 01:52:23 PM »
Thanks man....totally appreciate the help

YoMamaBeenLurking

• Getbig IV
  • The Black Knight
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 03:04:37 PM »
No problem.  :)
BKS - Guardian of Truth

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2006, 07:02:02 PM »
i know a great guitar website for useful information ;)
$

liberty

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2006, 04:23:02 AM »
Yo liberty....finally found the answer to your simple question...
How do you play B7/D#.....
The answer is xx1202   ::)

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2006, 03:21:59 PM »
When you see a chord symbol such as B7/D#, that just means a B dominant 7 triad, with a D# note in the bass. So, a B7 triad contains the notes B (root), Eb (third), F# (fifth) and A (Dominant 7th). So, you can do those notes anywhere on the neck...

11-9-9-8-10-x (I would omit the fifth, it's not important of a note in the chord...and you need your fingers elsewhere)

Or another inversion/voicing:

x-6-9-8-7-5

Try to learn the names of the tones (intervals such as 3rd, dom7 or Maj7) within each chord. That way, you will know what chords contain what note/interval.
I could take up pages and pages with this stuff.

liberty

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2006, 06:16:47 AM »
Thanks youngblood!
any info is good info for me...
I'm pretty happy with playing xx1202 fits pefectly for that song where it says play B7/D#
Although the difference from B7 and xx1202 is barely audible.
So when you see a slash chord ,is the second part played by the bass or by the rhythm ?
For example...the rhythm plays B7 and the bass plays D# or xx1202 ?
Amazing why I can't find this ,specifically how to finger this, on the web.
I finally found how to play D# (xx1202) on an old message board on a christian guitar web site!!!
Now I'm at A/G# .....again I think the rhythm (me) plays the A and the bass takes the G# which I believe is one string
Low E on the fourth fret or if the rhythm plays it I guess you have to barre the A and pinky the E fret 4
Now with  F#m/E ....in my notes...the illustration for it is xx2222 which is simple but that goes against everything that I thought I now know about slash chords!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHH
As you know the F#m is a lot more complex than xx2222

Man I have tons of questions.....gonna be taking some lessons soon....really love it ...except the parts where you have to know all the theory.I just want to get better so I can upgrade to a better Axe....I got the money just not talented enough to justify getting a strat
Thanks again man...THANKS!!!

buffbodz

• Getbig V
  • It's only a board
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2006, 07:37:59 AM »
Have you herd Michael Jackson is writing Classical Music now?  The first piece is called "Movement In A Minor" ;D
6 meals lift heavy and 1/2 hr cardio

liberty

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2006, 08:20:12 AM »
nyuk nyuk nyuk   ;D

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2006, 02:23:48 PM »
Thanks youngblood!
any info is good info for me...
I'm pretty happy with playing xx1202 fits pefectly for that song where it says play B7/D#
Although the difference from B7 and xx1202 is barely audible.
So when you see a slash chord ,is the second part played by the bass or by the rhythm ?
For example...the rhythm plays B7 and the bass plays D# or xx1202 ?
Amazing why I can't find this ,specifically how to finger this, on the web.
I finally found how to play D# (xx1202) on an old message board on a christian guitar web site!!!
Now I'm at A/G# .....again I think the rhythm (me) plays the A and the bass takes the G# which I believe is one string
Low E on the fourth fret or if the rhythm plays it I guess you have to barre the A and pinky the E fret 4
Now with  F#m/E ....in my notes...the illustration for it is xx2222 which is simple but that goes against everything that I thought I now know about slash chords!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHH
As you know the F#m is a lot more complex than xx2222

Man I have tons of questions.....gonna be taking some lessons soon....really love it ...except the parts where you have to know all the theory.I just want to get better so I can upgrade to a better Axe....I got the money just not talented enough to justify getting a strat
Thanks again man...THANKS!!!

The chord you now talk about- A/G# would be an Amajor (not major 7th!) with the Maj7 note (G# in the bass. This may sound very dissonant to your ears, since the G# in the bass and the A you have in the triad above it are a minor 2nd/9th apart-just means that your hitting two notes a half-step apart right next to one another without an octave inbetween. What I mean, you can play 4XX655 and it will not be as dissonant ("bad" sounding or to be more correct, tense sounding) as this chord 4X765X (or 4X7655...doubling up on the root note). Or, use the maj7 in the same octave as the root, but have the fifth inbetween to soften the harshness: 4776XX or 477655. Again, you can omit the fifth and use this chord, much different "spelling" though: XX6655 of XX6X59.
The F#m/E chord: Just mean you have a F# minor chord, but in the fourth inversion *means the dom/min 7th is in the bass*. So your chord will look like this: 004222....or XX2222....or 0X4252 or a different sound will be 0X4250...in a different position higher up on the fretboard try X7797X.

While you may NOT want to learn theory, at the very least learn which tones are involved in each chord, which are important to that chord (in other words, what makes it that chord and not another chord) Example: the G13 chord is "spelled" 3X3455...you have the root (G), dom7 (F), third (B), sixth/thirteen (E), and ninth (A), in that chord. Now, a lot of chord books tell you that you can use this voicing for the 13th I just mentioned: 3X345X, but this is not true. While this chord is not wrong it is NOT a G13. It is a G7/6. Why? The ninth tone (or interval) is omitted. The A note, is missing. A G13 must have a dom7, 9th and 6/thirteenth tones. Again, you can use the G7/6 chord, it is just incorrect to notate as G13.
Anyway, PM me if you have any other questions. I rarely view this forum, just happened to see this thread as I popped over here one day bored as hell.

liberty

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2006, 03:06:22 PM »
Thanks youngblood.....I'll be going thru this info in the next hour...
Man......did you go to Berkley or something??!!
Your not in the boston area are you?

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2006, 03:29:53 PM »
Nope, and nope.
Once you learn your instrument, I've been playing for 17 years but really REALLY hunkered down on the theory aspect for the last two, you will be able to know these things in your head.
You want to be able to visualize the fretboard in your sleep. This comes, not from luck or just being  a natural (though that helps too!), but from three things; practice, determination and experimentation.
Learn your major scale, on the guitar it's easy to do in all twelve keys, because once you learn it in one position, then it's the same in all other 11. Learn the names of the notes and where they are located on the fretboard. Then, learn their relation to the chord your playing.
For instance, the cycle of fifths (or fourths if you go the opposite direction), is a great tool for many reasons. Take a simple melody like "All The Things You Are" written by Jerome Kern. There the thrid bar of the head I think, over the Eb7 chord, where the melody note is four quarter notes of G. So, you can now go around the circle of fifths, using the melody note. G is the fifth of C7, the root of G7, 4th of D7 and dom7 of A7. This will help you learn the relations to the chords. Also, try using the same method chromatically....G is the fifth of C7, #5 of B7, 13th/6th of Bb7, and dom7 of A.
All this will eventually open new doors. I never understood what that meant, exactly, till a year or so ago. When you start actually APPLYING these things, then your ears just start hearing them and you suddenly start doing different things in the same songs you've been playing. In other words, new doors open up.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2006, 03:36:41 PM »
you can learn to be a master guitarist without knowing a single shred of chord names, learning scales, or musical terms.

liberty

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2006, 03:38:12 PM »
Thanks for the advice...I need to do more reading and studying....
The wifes gonna throw me out if I play 'Horse with no name 'anymore! ;D

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2006, 03:41:14 PM »
you can learn to be a master guitarist without knowing a single shred of chord names, learning scales, or musical terms.

This is true. But for those without much direction, it can help to learn certain aspects. It will also help in explaining what you do to others, instead of just saying "Um, I play this note here and that note there."
As Charlie Parker once said "Learn the rules, then forget them."

liberty

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2006, 04:23:25 PM »
Love Charlie Parker....seen some of his stuff on YouTube  and putfile