Author Topic: training for 500 raw  (Read 10848 times)

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
training for 500 raw
« on: September 29, 2006, 07:07:22 AM »
can someone possibly write me up something for this? to hit 500 on the bench raw? right now i'm sitting at a 435 single that keeps getting easier.

numbers are as follows

315x12
365x10
385x6
400x3
425x1
435x1
i've never done anything past 400 for a single...

with those numbers do you think it could be feasible to hit 500lbs by march or so?  ???  should i just focus on triples and doubles after 315?

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
Re: training for 500 raw
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 09:17:06 AM »
How about trying this for the rest of the year:

Week 1:

Workout 1 (Monday or tuesday)
2-4sets* 5 reps heavy Regular benchpress
1 set * 3 reps heavy

Workout 2 (Friday or Sat)
3 sets * 5 reps board presses heavy
3 sets * 5 reps close grip BP

Week 2:

Workout 1
4-5 sets* 5 reps light regular benchpress (approx 60% of 1RM)

wk 2

Week 3:

Workout 1
4-5 sets* 5 reps moderate regular benchpress (approx 75% of 1RM)

Part two of this training would start in January, when you would start to do 1-3 repetitions. Pretty much the same layout, but 1-3 repetitions instead of 5'ers.

Your 1RM with a shirt and 1RM may go down slightly temporarily during the fall, but you would become stronger in the end.

Lemme know if you want further details.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 09:41:05 AM »
looks good to me! i'll go with this for awhile...would it be too much to expect progress within 3-4 weeks?  ???

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 02:34:26 PM »
looks good to me! i'll go with this for awhile...would it be too much to expect progress within 3-4 weeks?  ???

Definitely not.

You should be getting stronger right away.

But, as I mentioned, if you previously did a lot of singles and doubles, your 1RM may go down.

If that is the case, it is an indicator that you're actually training right.

That is, if you're getting stronger in the particular excersises.

One thing though: The Workout 1 light week and the medium week, you shouldn't increase those weights, especially not the light weight, keep that weight the same for the rest of the year. It's in the heavy week where you will go all out in the workout 1.

Also, rest plenty between the heavy sets. I don't mean 3-4 minutes. I'm talking about 8-15 minutes here.

Keep some warm up gear, sweatpants and sweatshirt or similar at hand to put on between sets, if it's cold in the gym.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 08:13:32 PM »
tonight i maxed out with another guy that competes in powerlifting here at teh local gym...dude is 135 and benched 315 for a triple! i was shocked!  :o  he wanted someone to workout with and asked me...so i told him what i was doing and what i was going for....he was maxing to i decided to do it too since i haven't done it in two months.  last time it was 435

now it's 460! 25lb increase! now remember i've been on the juice for 4 weeks now so i know that's playing a big part in the strength gain.

the session went like this...

135x15x1,225x15x1,365x8x1,385x6x1,400x4x2,425x2x1,460x1x1

his went like this...which impressed me more  135x10x1,225x10x1,275x5x1,315x3x3,330x1x1 at 135lb!  :o puts things into perspective :(  he's built like a tank at 5'6"

now i know that it's not exactly like you discussed hedge...i was workign with someone so i tried to stick with what i want and listen to him at the same time since he's a competitor...

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 01:13:28 AM »
tonight i maxed out with another guy that competes in powerlifting here at teh local gym...dude is 135 and benched 315 for a triple! i was shocked!  :o  he wanted someone to workout with and asked me...so i told him what i was doing and what i was going for....he was maxing to i decided to do it too since i haven't done it in two months.  last time it was 435

now it's 460! 25lb increase! now remember i've been on the juice for 4 weeks now so i know that's playing a big part in the strength gain.

the session went like this...

135x15x1,225x15x1,365x8x1,385x6x1,400x4x2,425x2x1,460x1x1

his went like this...which impressed me more  135x10x1,225x10x1,275x5x1,315x3x3,330x1x1 at 135lb!  :o puts things into perspective :(  he's built like a tank at 5'6"

now i know that it's not exactly like you discussed hedge...i was workign with someone so i tried to stick with what i want and listen to him at the same time since he's a competitor...

I didn't know you were on.

In that case, I don't think I'm qualified to give advice on training.

The layout may be good, but there may be others that work even better for your situation.

I cannot say.

Just want to be honest with you.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 04:15:12 AM »
yeah..but i do like the layout that you did give me...and i'm thinking i'm gonna stick with it. seems pretty solid enough...

i've got this and wolfy's regimen too...

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2006, 08:08:47 AM »
Hedge's advice is good for "enhanced" lifters as well...it is very similar to what i have done in the past and i had good results.

A 25 pound increase is insane, you are barely taking any juice bro...your cycle is a bare minimum.

Keep training hard, i have also used Wolfy's routine for bench and shirts with great success...hit a PR in the RAW bench last week and the shirt lifts are getting easier...

8)

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2006, 08:20:46 AM »
i know..

i have yet to hit 400 for 6  :-\

wolfy's training log was in fucking sane..to the point where no matter what i would eat or do i'd always feel like i've way overtrained in everything.  So i played with it to get it where it worked for me since no one training log is the same for everyone.  Hedge's is more my speed and i'm liking the ideas and thoughts that he has to go along with them...

hedge what would you do different if you were on vs. off? i can see getting big gains in strength from your routine..not necessarily rep wise but big gains in my doubles and singles REALLY fast.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2006, 08:45:52 AM »
Wolfy's routine is alot and i also modified it to work for me. that is the part of training SO many people don't understand. YOU need to decide how many warm up sets you do and how many total work sets. every person needs to figure out how they adapt to certain exercises and loads but it's nice to have something laid out to get you on the right track.

i believe Hedge is a lifetime natural so he won't give out advice for juicers because has has no experience with it.

8)

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2006, 08:48:11 AM »
i can see the weight going up fast with the routine...just the reps will apply to the weights as they go up! :D

and i stress that to alot of people that ask me for training advice...i give them a base platform and tell them to just play with it and find out what suits their bodies the best...instead of getting it out of the back of some magazine.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2006, 08:52:10 AM »
i know..

i have yet to hit 400 for 6  :-\

wolfy's training log was in fucking sane..to the point where no matter what i would eat or do i'd always feel like i've way overtrained in everything.  So i played with it to get it where it worked for me since no one training log is the same for everyone.  Hedge's is more my speed and i'm liking the ideas and thoughts that he has to go along with them...

hedge what would you do different if you were on vs. off? i can see getting big gains in strength from your routine..not necessarily rep wise but big gains in my doubles and singles REALLY fast.

Nothing personal, but I won't give advice to someone who's on.

It's not only the fact that I have no experience on the whole thing, I don't feel qualified. It's also about my personal beliefs. I try not to get involved in that scene.

As I said, nothing personal, as you seem like a nice bloke and all.

I'm sure there are plenty of guys here that could comment on this routine, tell you if it's good as it is, or if the volume should be slightly increased, guys that has the experience of being on.

I cannot, for the reasons stated, comment any further.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2006, 08:53:37 AM »
If I was juicing I would be doing 500+ benches like it was nothing. texasRush you are a puss.

STFU alexxx.

We don't need that shit here.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2006, 08:55:25 AM »
i appreciate what you've said so far hedge...thankyou for your input sir.   :)

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2006, 11:15:36 PM »
Alexxx is one of those clowns who think steroids are going to add 250 lb to his bench. What a dolt. ::)
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2006, 08:45:11 PM »
safe to say that bragging about 315 natural is just about as lame as braggin about a 50lb dumbbell curl to the ladies on the gym floor...

you're a big dude and on your way...but 315? you should be hitting 365 already for a max if you're moving 315

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2006, 10:35:30 PM »
Considering I have bench 315 all natural, it is safe to say I would do 600 juiced.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2006, 06:59:31 AM »
for those that read this and were interested in how well it's working out...

after following hedge's advice, i'm hitting 400 for 5 reps now instead of 3 for TWO sets

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2006, 10:19:42 AM »
hit 470 on the second attemtp...the first time i wasn't mentally ready and prep'd for that kinda weight to sit on top of me...the 470 wasn't paused but a touch and go...so i got some boo's from a few people.  Almost there!

I notice that when I added a couple of reps to my top working sets my max typically goes up 5-10lbs! My current goal as of now is set at 500..but i want to hit 405 for 8 reps too! that would make me feel pretty good about my capability!  I've stopped shoulder training twice a week and brought it down to just once a week to see if that helps some and maybe let my shoulders recover from two chest and back days which are pretty big considering...and not fatigue them the day before my next chest day!

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2006, 04:21:28 PM »
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Is that a yes? Or maybe if I suck some dick for the extra protein suprise, then I could hit 600!!!
just push some weight!

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2006, 08:36:07 AM »
hit 470 on the second attemtp...the first time i wasn't mentally ready and prep'd for that kinda weight to sit on top of me...the 470 wasn't paused but a touch and go...so i got some boo's from a few people.  Almost there!

I notice that when I added a couple of reps to my top working sets my max typically goes up 5-10lbs! My current goal as of now is set at 500..but i want to hit 405 for 8 reps too! that would make me feel pretty good about my capability!  I've stopped shoulder training twice a week and brought it down to just once a week to see if that helps some and maybe let my shoulders recover from two chest and back days which are pretty big considering...and not fatigue them the day before my next chest day!

If you would train with lower reps during working sets for a month or two, you would hit 500 immediatly.

However, if you stick with 5 reppers for the rest of the year, and THEN make the change to training low repetitions, you will get an even higher 1RM.

I don't know if you're training any additional triceps training, but if you are, I suggest you cut it down to one additional excersise, and 3-6 sets every week?

The shoulder workout, do a slightly heavier work one week, then slightly lighter the next. And personally, I think you should be doing it on the middle day workout, also train your lower body with a few moderate sets here.

How about 4-5 sets of heavy BB presses one week, the next week 4-5 sets of side lateral extensions?

JMO, I think you should also train back with your second benchpress workout, if you're on a three workouts per week schedule.

Tue
Bench, Arms, Back(Always light/moderate lower back workout - deadlifts 5*5, vary between 50-60%)

Thu
Shoulders, Legs

Sat
Bench(board, close grip), Back (Back workout is heavy when tuesday bench is light, moderate same week, light when tuesday bench is heavy, you pick the excersises you want use, deadlifts-latpulldowns-DB rows is a good combo though, 1-2 sets of each)

Just some suggestions.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2006, 08:47:58 AM »
i appreciate you sticking with me hedge...

since i've started hitting my back and chest ALOT heavier i've noticed my bi's and tri's are starting to LOSE strength..so on their respective days i only do 3 heavy sets for them and that's it. For tri's I'm doing heavy press downs or dips...gaining alot of weight recently has helped me keep my feet on the floor when doing heavy cable pressdowns...right now i'm hitting 260 for 3 sets of 8..which is what i did for tuesday tricep workout...today i'm doing 3 sets of heavy hammer strength pressdowns.  The leverage machine allows me to be secured and strapped in and move about 460lbs on it...i know it's a leverage machine so it takes alot of the weight out..but loaded down that's the total.

I'm wanting to hit 365 for 10 reps easily again...and i know alot of you have read my past posts about not coming past 90*...i'm touching my chest now.  I go RIDICULOUSLY slow for 135,225, and 315 and pause for a couple of seconds at the bottom to feel the stretch and explode up....before i make my 365 and 405 attempts.  I can do doubles all day long up to 440 but my rep range on my lower weights isn't increasing  :-[

i've done partials in the cage with 500...but only for lockouts. I want to get my body used to at least picking up that kinda weight...

30 more lbs to go boys and girls.

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2006, 08:50:48 AM »
current week is layed out like this

monday: chest,bi's,abs
tuesday: back, tris', calves
wednesday: legs and shoulders/traps
thursday-saturday are repeats of the previous...

I'm thinking my delts are getting obliterated during chest and back days and have cut down their workouts to just 4 sets of seated overhead presses for day one and day two for them is just 4 sets of power cleans...and am leaving it at that for now. 

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2006, 09:48:16 AM »
i appreciate you sticking with me hedge...

since i've started hitting my back and chest ALOT heavier i've noticed my bi's and tri's are starting to LOSE strength..so on their respective days i only do 3 heavy sets for them and that's it. For tri's I'm doing heavy press downs or dips...gaining alot of weight recently has helped me keep my feet on the floor when doing heavy cable pressdowns...right now i'm hitting 260 for 3 sets of 8..which is what i did for tuesday tricep workout...today i'm doing 3 sets of heavy hammer strength pressdowns.  The leverage machine allows me to be secured and strapped in and move about 460lbs on it...i know it's a leverage machine so it takes alot of the weight out..but loaded down that's the total.

I'm wanting to hit 365 for 10 reps easily again...and i know alot of you have read my past posts about not coming past 90*...i'm touching my chest now.  I go RIDICULOUSLY slow for 135,225, and 315 and pause for a couple of seconds at the bottom to feel the stretch and explode up....before i make my 365 and 405 attempts.  I can do doubles all day long up to 440 but my rep range on my lower weights isn't increasing  :-[

i've done partials in the cage with 500...but only for lockouts. I want to get my body used to at least picking up that kinda weight...

30 more lbs to go boys and girls.

Stay in the 4-8 reps range for all the work that is related to your benchpress IMO right now. After new years, most of it will change to 1-3 reps too.

The reason why you may not get up as much weight for 10 reps, is because you're not training high rep training.

And you shouldn't either.

It's not an endurance sport.

Look for heavy but controlled reps, you don't want to injure yourself. As fast as possible in the pushing part though.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2006, 10:17:43 AM »
so as of right now things are looking good as far as my layout?

AND i've been told by numerous top ams and even a few pros with those huge guns everyone wants..they they hardly EVERY train bi's or tri's anymore..and if they do it's just a couple of sets here or there! none of this 9 sets this or that... :o