Author Topic: Congressman resigns after former page questions e-mails  (Read 919 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Congressman resigns after former page questions e-mails
« on: September 29, 2006, 01:46:39 PM »
Congressman resigns after former page questions e-mails
POSTED: 4:22 p.m. EDT, September 29, 2006
From CNN's Dana Bash
CNN Washington Bureau

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Rep. Mark Foley, a Republican from Florida, resigned Friday from the House, a day after a former congressional page questioned e-mails Foley had sent to him.

Foley apparently sent the e-mails in August 2005, when the male page was 16 years old.

"Today I have delivered a letter to the speaker of the House informing him of my decision to resign from the U.S. House of Representatives, effective today. I thank the people of Florida's 16th Congressional District for giving me the opportunity to serve them for the last twelve years; it has been an honor," Foley said in a written statement.

"I am deeply sorry and I apologize for letting down my family and the people of Florida I have had the privilege to represent."

According to ABC News, the young man who received the e-mails called them "sick, sick, sick."

A spokesman for Foley told CNN the congressman acknowledged he had an e-mail exchange with the former page but flatly denied that it was anything inappropriate.

According to GOP sources, Foley is concerned there may be other potential politically damaging e-mails or information out there and has concluded it's best not to run again for office.

Foley, who is considered a moderate, has been in office for six-terms.

His Democratic opponent in the race, Tim Mahoney, called for an investigation into the matter Thursday. Mahoney's campaign denied having anything to do with the information getting out.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/09/29/congressman.e.mails/index.html

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Re: Congressman resigns after former page questions e-mails
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 02:12:14 PM »
This is all Bill Clinton's fault!  :'(

Faust

• Getbig IV
  • It's a league game, Smokey
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 03:02:36 PM »
What's a "male page"?

And were the mails sexual in nature? I don't understand the controversy...
$

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 11:31:23 PM »
What's a "male page"?

And were the mails sexual in nature? I don't understand the controversy...

"ABC’s Brian Ross was the person who broke the story of Rep. Mark Foley. Tonight on ABC News, Ross gave a more indepth report, including the text of instant messages that Foley allegedly exchanged with these minors."

Video - WMV   Video - QT

MaF54:  What are ya wearing?

Teen: Tshirt and shorts

MaF54: Love to slip them off of ya.

"Ross goes on to say that the messages 'become much graphic - too graphic to be broadcast' and gone on to describe internet sex."