Author Topic: cong to Bush: no permanent bases or control of oil industry in Iraq.  (Read 1304 times)

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
Hope al-jazeera carries this tonight:

U.S. Congress restricts Bush on Iraq spending

1 hour, 3 minutes ago

The U.S. Congress on Friday moved to block the Bush administration from building permanent U.S. military bases in Iraq or controlling the country's oil sector, as it approved $70 billion for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The restrictions included in a record $447 billion military funding bill were a slap at the administration, and Republicans have stripped them out of legislation in the past.

Democrats and many Republicans say the Iraqi insurgency has been fueled by perceptions the United States has ambitions for a permanent presence in the country.

The administration has downplayed prospects for permanent military bases in Iraq, but lawmakers have called on President George W. Bush to make a definitive statement that the United States has no such plans.

U.S. officials have predicted a lengthy U.S. military presence in Iraq.

The Senate unanimously passed the military spending bill, sending it to Bush for his signature. The House of Representatives passed it earlier in the week 394-22, as Congress rushed to leave town to campaign for November 7 elections that will determine control of Congress.

Bush had complained the bill's funding fell short of his request. But he issued a statement saying he would sign the legislation that "will provide our men and women in uniform with the necessary resources to protect our country and win the War on Terror."

With this bill, Congress has approved about $507 billion for the wars, with the bulk of that spent in Iraq where costs are averaging $8 billion per month, according to the Congressional Research Service.

Lawmakers called the $70 billion a "bridge fund" to last about halfway through the next fiscal year, which starts on October 1. About $23 billion of that is to replace and refurbish equipment worn out in the harsh environments of the two conflicts.

The military spending bill provides $377.6 billion for the Pentagon's core programs, $4.1 billion less than Bush wanted but $19 billion above current levels.

It funds a 2.2 percent military pay raise, and provides $557 million more for the Army Reserve and Army National Guard than Bush sought.

The House also passed a bill setting out policies for the Pentagon and the Energy Department's nuclear weapons programs, but the measure was stalled in the Senate.

The $533 billion in programs outlined in the bill comes in appropriations bills for defense and energy.

With the military stretched by the Iraq war, the defense policy bill recommends raising the Army's forces by 30,000 to a force level of 512,400, and the Marines by 5,000 to a level of 180,000.

The bill blocks a move by the Pentagon to increase health care payments by service personnel.

Congress usually passes the defense policy bill before the spending bill. But the policy bill was stalled in a conference with the Senate over a bid by House Republicans to let military chaplains offer denominational prayers at nondenominational events. That eventually was struck from the bill.

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
Re: cong to Bush: no permanent bases or control of oil industry in Iraq.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 05:24:30 PM »
fucking great...now its REALLY a waste....
carpe` vaginum!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 05:37:46 PM »
U.S. Congress restricts Bush on Iraq spending

The U.S. Congress on Friday moved to block the Bush administration from building permanent U.S. military bases in Iraq or controlling the country's oil sector, as it approved $70 billion for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Good find Al G.

There's been a lot of people on here who have mocked the notion that the US would ever set up permanent bases or try to gain control of the oil mgmt.

Looks like a few people in congress are a little worried about it too.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 06:07:24 PM »
We can't steal the oil?  Our government won't profit off Iraq's oil???  That's the whole reason we started this dang war!  Back to the drawing board.  Maybe we'll have better luck in Iran. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 07:42:19 PM »
Seriously, something big has happened in the last month.  Monster hatred for the iraq war.  Venez prez gets big balls in NYC.  Iran Prez challenges for debate.  both call bush for inside job on 911.  Musharraf says US threatened bombing to get paki cooperation.  brutal torture bill.  smells like something weird is going on lately.

Does congress still trust bush?

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 11:07:16 PM »
I guess it depends on ur definition of permanent..they look pretty damm permanent now. I'm glad the pricks were able to give me a 2.2 pay raise...
L

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 04:49:23 PM »
Filmmaker Robert Greenwald joined Keith tonight to talk about his new movie Iraq for Sale and the egregious war profiteering of Halliburton and subsidiary Kellogg Brown and Root in Iraq. Keith starts the segment off by reporting on the story of Ray Stannard -- the Halliburton employee wounded in a convoy attack in Iraq who was offered the Defense of Freedom Medal on the condition that sign away his right to sue Halliburton. Of course, Halliburton misled Stannard by saying that the document was a medical disclosure form when, in fact, it frees them from all legal liabilities.

Greenwald, who held a press conference with Democratic Policy Chairman Byron Dorgan (D-ND) yesterday on the lack of war profiteering accountability, talked briefly about Henry Waxman -- the Ranking Member on the Committee of Government Reform -- who, if the Democrats take the House in November, will use his newfound subpoena power to hold these people accountable.

Some of the highlights -- or, more appropriately, lowlights -- of Senator Dorgans hearing on Iraq Contracting Practices can be seen here 

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 05:08:35 PM »
I guess it depends on ur definition of permanent..they look pretty damm permanent now. I'm glad the pricks were able to give me a 2.2 pay raise...

HH, not trying to pry into your personal finances, but what type of money do the guys in Iraq make? Do you make more serving in Iraq and possible getting killed than guys who are sitting all cozy in some base in the US? Do dead soldiers families get money?

Educate me please :)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 05:47:02 PM »
combat pay, right?  I don't know why I am in such a hurry to sign up for this kind of abuse

you're entering the military, meddy?