Author Topic: State - Of - Denial  (Read 1697 times)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
State - Of - Denial
« on: September 29, 2006, 10:57:28 PM »
 :o 

Ooooh.... talk about an "October Surprise"

"State of Denial" by Bob Woodward

http://video.msn.com/v/us/msnbc.htm?g=51e49049-63ba-404b-8168-27ad67fcf76d&f=00&fg=copy

I love how at the end Bush says it is "the terrorists propaganda", ...but it's "The National Intelligence Estimate, a document that was classified as Top Secret.

http://video.msn.com/v/us/msnbc.htm?g=097632ea-50d6-467b-af2d-1197910492c6&f=00&fg=copy
w

24KT

• Getbig V
Re: State - Of - Denial
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 05:49:14 PM »
“State of Denial” sheds light on White House crisis over Iraq lies
10/1/2006 10:15:00 AM GMT

In his “State of Denial” book Bob Woodward is removing the veil over a new episode of Bush’s series of scandals involving lying to the American public about costs of his so-called "war on terrorism" as well as reasons to launch the illegal and unjustified war on Iraq in March 2003.

The book also sheds light on Bush’s administration's efforts to hide crucial Iraq intelligence from UK.

The first television interview on the Iraq book written by one of the two Washington Post reporters who uncovered the Watergate scandal that engulfed the Nixon administration, will be shown this evening on the CBS show 60 Minutes. Analysts expect it to fuel the already heated debate over the American President’s policies in Iraq, as it provides new details concerning how Bush and his aids deliberately covered up the truth about the extent of violence in the war-ravaged country.

“State of Denial” describes the rift between Colin L. Powell, Mr. Bush’s first secretary of state, and Mr. Rumsfeld: When Mr. Powell, following 2004 elections, told Andrew H. Card Jr., the White House chief of staff, that “if I go, Don should go,” referring to Mr. Rumsfeld. Mr. Card attempted to lobby support to oust Mr. Rumsfeld but was overruled by the President, who feared such decision would disrupt the Iraqi elections.

In his book, Woodward, who initially backed the decision to go to war in Iraq, accuses Bush of keeping the American public in the dark about the real situation in the country.

“There's public [information] and there's private. But what did they do with the private? They stamp it secret. No one is supposed to know,” Woodward says.

Woodward moreover suggests that rebel attacks in Iraq are now running at a rate of about four an hour, noting that officials warn that the situation may get worse by next year, revelations that could prove to be a major setback to Bush’s efforts to win public support ahead of his mid-term elections, scheduled to be held next month.

Woodward’s book also challenges Republicans’ claims that the American troops are achieving great progress in the warn-torn country.

“State of Denial”, based on “interviews with President Bush’s national security team, their deputies, and other senior and key players in the administration responsible for the military, the diplomacy, and the intelligence on Iraq,” as described Mr. Woodward, uncovers how Iraq war caused deep division inside the White House.

President Bush is quoted as saying of the situation in Iraq in November 2003: “I don’t want anyone in the cabinet to say it is an insurgency. I don’t think we are there yet.”

The book is the third that Mr. Woodward has written discussing debates within the White House following Sept. 11 attacks that shook the U.S. in 2001, the invasion of Afghanistan, and the occupation of occupation of Iraq.

According to the 537-page book, Robert D. Blackwill, then the top Iraq adviser on the National Security Council, sent to Condoleezza Rice warning about the need for more troops, suggesting that as many as 40,000, were desperately needed in Iraq.

Also Mr. Blackwill and L. Paul Bremer III, then the top American official in Iraq, are said to have briefed Ms. Rice and Stephen J. Hadley, her deputy, about the urgent need for more troops in Iraq. But the White House didn’t take any action.

The stunning revelations included in Woodward’s book could not have come at a worse time for the American President, now preparing for November elections while both the Democrats and the Republicans fight over how his policies addressed national security. Woodward's book challenges those who still believe that the ruling party is best at prosecuting the war.
w

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 05:52:19 PM »
I wanted to straight up ask those gebiggers who said Bush never lied -
Is Woodward lying, or is Bush lying?
But I think they'll run from that one.

Jag - did you get/read it yet?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 05:52:53 PM »
YAWN.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 05:59:25 PM »
It describes how, on July 10, 2001, CIA Director George J. Tenet met with his counterterrorism chief, J. Cofer Black, at CIA headquarters "to review the latest on Osama bin Laden and his al-Qaeda terrorist organization. Black laid out the case, consisting of communications intercepts and other top-secret intelligence showing the increasing likelihood that al-Qaeda would soon attack the United States. The mass of fragments made a compelling case, so compelling to Tenet that he decided he and Black should go to the White House immediately."

Tenet called Condoleezza Rice, then national security adviser. "For months," Woodward writes, "Tenet had been pressing Rice to set a clear counterterrorism policy… that would give the CIA stronger authority to conduct covert action against bin Laden…. Tenet and Black hoped to convey the depth of their anxiety and get Rice to kick-start the government into immediate action.

The result? "Tenet and Black felt they were not getting through to Rice. She was polite, but they felt the brush-off. President Bush had said he didn't want to swat at flies.

In a separate story, the Post's Peter Baker reveals: "The July 10 meeting of Rice, Tenet and Black went unmentioned in various investigations into the Sept. 11 attacks, and Woodward wrote that Black 'felt there were things the commissions wanted to know about and things they didn't want to know about.'

"Jamie S. Gorelick, a member of the Sept. 11 commission, said she checked with commission staff members who told her investigators were never told about a July 10 meeting. 'We didn't know about the meeting itself,' she said. 'I can assure you it would have been in our report if we had known to ask about it.'

"White House and State Department officials yesterday confirmed that the July 10 meeting took place, although they took issue with Woodward's portrayal of its results."

Later Saturday, writing at the ThinkPress.org site, Peter Rundlet, the former 9/11 Commission counsel, wrote of the meeting with Rice, "If true, it is shocking that the administration failed to heed such an overwhelming alert from the two officials in the best position to know. Many, many questions need to be asked and answered about this revelation — questions that the 9/11 Commission would have asked, had the Commission been told about this significant meeting. Suspiciously, the Commissioners and the staff investigating the administration’s actions prior to 9/11 were never informed of the meeting....

"The Commission interviewed Condoleezza Rice privately and during public testimony; it interviewed George Tenet three times privately and during public testimony; and Cofer Black was also interviewed privately and publicly. All of them were obligated to tell the truth. Apparently, none of them described this meeting, the purpose of which clearly was central to the Commission’s investigation. Moreover, document requests to both the White House and to the CIA should have revealed the fact that this meeting took place. Now, more than two years after the release of the Commission’s report, we learn of this meeting from Bob Woodward.

Woodward's 9/11 Bombshell suggests "CoverUp"

No wonder Tenet freaked when the attacks came. He knew all along something big was happening, but couldn't wake these people up.

other interesting links include: Miers Briefed Bush on Bin Laden PDB, But Papers Handle Photo From That Day Quite Differently
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 06:03:16 PM »
YAWN.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 04:44:10 AM »
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 09:02:40 AM »
care for a pillow?

I'll need one if you keep posting summaries of a book you apparently haven't read.   :)

We need a yawn icon. 

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 09:16:43 AM »
I'll need one if you keep posting summaries of a book you apparently haven't read.   :)

We need a yawn icon. 

Hahaha yeah, can't count the number of times I've had to resort to a rolley eyes icon instead of a yawn icon
الاسلام هو شيطانية

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006, 09:34:14 AM »
Hahaha yeah, can't count the number of times I've had to resort to a rolley eyes icon instead of a yawn icon

It is definitely a problem. I myself have overused the rolley eyes icon due to our inadequate smiley selection.