Author Topic: NBC Censors VeggieTales  (Read 2739 times)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
NBC Censors VeggieTales
« on: October 02, 2006, 07:27:20 AM »
NBC: Bible Verses In Veggie Tales Offensive, But Not Madonna's Mockery Of The Crucifixion Of Christ

NBC anti-Christian bigotry continues. This time NBC censored Bible verses and expressions of Christian love from the children's cartoon Veggie Tales being shown Saturday mornings on NBC.

NBC says comments such as "God made you special and He loves you very much" were offensive and censored them from the show.

In response to the outrage over the allegations that NBC was ordering the removal of any references to God and the Bible from the animated series, the network first issued a flat denial. As reported in Broadcasting & Cable, NBC said they had to "clip off the beginning and ending tags, which are Bible verses, but they were also arguably the easiest cut to make."

The creator of Veggie Tales, Phil Vischer, said NBC's excuse for censoring the Bible verses was not true. Vischer said, "Well, that's kinda funny, because as the guy required to do all the editing, I know that statement is false...The show wasn't too long, it was too Christian. The show was already cut down to the proper length, so timing had nothing to do with it."

NBC then backpeddled: "NBC is committed to the positive messages and universal values of Veggie Tales. Our goal is to reach as broad an audience as possible with these positive messages while being careful not to advocate any one religious point of view." Evidently NBC considers not being truthful as one of their "universal values."

Vischer said had he known how much censorship NBC would exercise, he would not have signed on for the network deal.

Censored were comments such as: "Calm down. The Bible says we should love our enemies." And "the Bible says Samson got his strength from God. And God can give us strength, too."

NBC says using Bible verses or referring to God is offensive to some non-Christians. But NBC doesn't hesitate to offend Christians by showing Madonna mocking the crucifixion of Christ. Neither do not mind offending Christians in their new program Studio 60 with a segment called Crazy Christians.

blueeyes35148

• Getbig I
  • 6'3" - 240
Re: NBC Censors VeggieTales
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 08:41:03 AM »
This is just stupid - It is another case of pumping up publicity. >:(

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 08:57:18 AM »
Stupid is right.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 10:01:08 AM »
Just wanted to keep you updated on this.  NBC will be running an NBC special next month (Nov.) that will mock the crucifixion.  But this isn't offensive to anyone, right?   ::)  You gotta see the pictures from the "Madonna's special in November" link.  NBC is full of it! >:(

http://www.theconservativevoice.com/articles/article.html?id=19061

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 11:11:16 AM »
Just wanted to keep you updated on this.  NBC will be running an NBC special next month (Nov.) that will mock the crucifixion.  But this isn't offensive to anyone, right?   ::)  You gotta see the pictures from the "Madonna's special in November" link.  NBC is full of it! >:(

http://www.theconservativevoice.com/articles/article.html?id=19061

It is amazing how brazenly prejudice (or is it prejudiced?) the networks can be against religion.  The networks are full of knuckleheads.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 01:25:52 PM »
I know. I can't lie, man, it ticks me off!!!  Yet we're (Christians) the hypocrites!   ::)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 07:36:07 AM »
Sorry guys,  i have to say the networks aren't full of knuckle heads.........they are full of businessmen.  It the dollar that's all.  What ever will bring in advertising revenue.....  if mock crusifiction brings it in, then yes,  if veggie tales with religious undertones doesn't then no.  Ethics always take a back seat to money and explains nearly all motivations in business.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 10:26:23 AM »
Sorry guys,  i have to say the networks aren't full of knuckle heads.........they are full of businessmen.  It the dollar that's all.  What ever will bring in advertising revenue.....  if mock crusifiction brings it in, then yes,  if veggie tales with religious undertones doesn't then no.  Ethics always take a back seat to money and explains nearly all motivations in business.

That is by and large true, but I don't think decisions are made based strictly on the numbers when it comes to Hollywood and religion.  Many in the industry probably believe they might offend non-religious viewers, which affects programming.  Hollywood is also full of people with questionable morals, which explains the plethora of gratuitous sex and violence on the screen.  There is also just a lack of respect for religion in general by many in Hollywood.  I think all of these factors play into programming.   

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 11:42:51 AM »
To add to what BB is saying, isn't this why they have pilots? How about all the duds that were spin-offs from Seinfeld.  Michael Richards (Kramer) had a show that bombed big-time, as did Julia Louis-Dreyfuss (Elaine), yet they ran with it anyway.  They've not run one single episode of Veggie-Tales yet.  Not One!!!  Yet, they didn't want to offend some audience members?  Sorry, I call bull on this one.  You're telling me that prior to running those pilot spin-offs that NBC didn't know those shows would suck?  I think not. 

How about running the show first before you decide you need to edit it? 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 11:46:57 AM »
To add to what BB is saying, isn't this why they have pilots? How about all the duds that were spin-offs from Seinfeld.  Michael Richards (Kramer) had a show that bombed big-time, as did Julia Louis-Dreyfuss (Elaine), yet they ran with it anyway.  They've not run one single episode of Veggie-Tales yet.  Not One!!!  Yet, they didn't want to offend some audience members?  Sorry, I call bull on this one.  You're telling me that prior to running those pilot spin-offs that NBC didn't know those shows would suck?  I think not. 

How about running the show first before you decide you need to edit it? 

Studios kill all sorts of shows before they ever air.  So that's not a bunch of BULL. 

Somewhere some group of "Experts" decided what ever veggie-tales wanted to do was going to be detremental for the show and advertising revenue...............  Now, understand all these experts in every network and studio have been wrong many times before. 

I just hope you understand that it is far less about religion and so much more about the all mighty dollar.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2006, 12:02:53 PM »
Studios kill all sorts of shows before they ever air.  So that's not a bunch of BULL. 

Somewhere some group of "Experts" decided what ever veggie-tales wanted to do was going to be detremental for the show and advertising revenue...............  Now, understand all these experts in every network and studio have been wrong many times before. 

I just hope you understand that it is far less about religion and so much more about the all mighty dollar.
I still call bull, bro.  Christians are the butt of many jokes as of late.  Take the show Studio 60 for prime example...look at how the Christian character is depicted? 

Actually, I think there's more spiritual warfare going on than you may want to admit, bro, and not so much the all-mighty dollar.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2006, 12:13:11 PM »
I still call bull, bro.  Christians are the butt of many jokes as of late.  Take the show Studio 60 for prime example...look at how the Christian character is depicted? 

Actually, I think there's more spiritual warfare going on than you may want to admit, bro, and not so much the all-mighty dollar.

You might be right...  it may be a spiritual war.   But it also may be that the "stereo typing" of a typical Christian may be more an indication of real life and the attutudes towards christians due to their behavior than a spiritual war tactic.

The message being sent here may be is many "Christains"  live hypocritical lives  or are overbaord in thier zealot behavior.

Maybe there are many Christians that need to clean their act up.

(Not you, from what i see, of course, as you seem most consistant in your views and integrity)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2006, 01:09:30 PM »
You might be right...  it may be a spiritual war.   But it also may be that the "stereo typing" of a typical Christian may be more an indication of real life and the attutudes towards christians due to their behavior than a spiritual war tactic.

The message being sent here may be is many "Christains"  live hypocritical lives  or are overbaord in thier zealot behavior.

Maybe there are many Christians that need to clean their act up.

(Not you, from what i see, of course, as you seem most consistant in your views and integrity)
Thanks, bro.  But I'm just as guilty as the next guy who's a hypocrite. You're right, Christians are hypocrites, some more so than others. But what gets me is the people calling Christians hypocrites appear to be immune to the fact that they, themselves, are hypocrites. I'm no less of a hypocrite as one who loves God than the next guy who hates Christ and doesn't accept Him.  There's this sense of ignorance amongst non-believers that Christians are supposed to be perfect.  We're no different than the non-believer save for the fact that we accept Christ as being the one who'd died and saved us from our hypocrital and sinful lifestyles.  They just don't understand that part of it.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2006, 01:19:01 PM »
Thanks, bro.  But I'm just as guilty as the next guy who's a hypocrite. You're right, Christians are hypocrites, some more so than others. But what gets me is the people calling Christians hypocrites appear to be immune to the fact that they, themselves, are hypocrites. I'm no less of a hypocrite as one who loves God than the next guy who hates Christ and doesn't accept Him.  There's this sense of ignorance amongst non-believers that Christians are supposed to be perfect.  We're no different than the non-believer save for the fact that we accept Christ as being the one who'd died and saved us from our hypocrital and sinful lifestyles.  They just don't understand that part of it.   

What he said. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2006, 01:20:14 PM »

My Pastor friend is fond of saying "Christians aren't perfect they are just forgiven"   

But at some point how many times can you committ a sin over and over again and ask for forgiveness before it is appearent that in your heart you have no intention of stopping it? 

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2006, 01:41:33 PM »
Quote from: OzmO
My Pastor friend is fond of saying "Christians aren't perfect they are just forgiven"   
I love that quote! Never heard it said that way.   ;D

Quote from: OzmO
But at some point how many times can you committ a sin over and over again and ask for forgiveness before it is appearent that in your heart you have no intention of stopping it? 
Only God knows that answer, bro.  He's the only one that knows our true hearts.  Remember the parable of the unmerciful servant?  I think it's in the book of Matthew, where Peter had asked how many times he should forgive his brother, "seven times?", and Jesus said, "not seven, but seventy-seven times".  And then Jesus went on and told about the servant who owed the king some crazy amount of money, but he begged for his life and the king had mercy on him.  Then the servant went out and found out that one of his fellow servant owed him basically chump change, and he tried to choke the dude out because he didn't have the money to pay back.  When the king found out about this, he took back his merciful heart and brought some major heat on the servant who owed him mad loot. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2006, 04:36:17 PM »
I love that quote! Never heard it said that way.   ;D
Only God knows that answer, bro.  He's the only one that knows our true hearts.  Remember the parable of the unmerciful servant?  I think it's in the book of Matthew, where Peter had asked how many times he should forgive his brother, "seven times?", and Jesus said, "not seven, but seventy-seven times".  And then Jesus went on and told about the servant who owed the king some crazy amount of money, but he begged for his life and the king had mercy on him.  Then the servant went out and found out that one of his fellow servant owed him basically chump change, and he tried to choke the dude out because he didn't have the money to pay back.  When the king found out about this, he took back his merciful heart and brought some major heat on the servant who owed him mad loot. 

Well said.