Author Topic: Amish ethics  (Read 6757 times)

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
Amish ethics
« on: October 04, 2006, 11:25:13 PM »
A grieving grandfather told young relatives not to hate the gunman who killed five girls in an Amish schoolhouse massacre, a pastor said on Wednesday.

"As we were standing next to the body of this 13-year-old girl, the grandfather was tutoring the young boys, he was making a point, just saying to the family, 'We must not think evil of this man,' " the Rev. Robert Schenck told CNN.

"It was one of the most touching things I have seen in 25 years of Christian ministry."

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
Re: Amish ethics
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 11:27:11 PM »
They don't show anger either. I was watching some movie(quite some time ago) and people were throwing rocks at them and they were just smiling and talking about churning butter ???
E

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 11:29:52 PM »
i want to say something racist right now (not about the Amish, but about certain other groups of people), but I'll honor the Amish and hold my peace.

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 11:30:58 PM »
i want to say something racist right now (not about the Amish, but about certain other groups of people), but I'll honor the Amish and hold my peace.

Just say it, you and I are like the only ones up at this hour.
E

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 11:35:09 PM »
Just say it, you and I are like the only ones up at this hour.

I'm thinking about the Middle East mostly, and how they react there . . . but I guess the point of my original post was that maybe hatred and anger are not the solutions.

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 11:36:20 PM »
Jack Meyer, a member of the Brethren community living near the Amish in Lancaster County, said local people were trying to follow Jesus' teachings in dealing with the "terrible hurt."

"I don't think there's anybody here that wants to do anything but forgive and not only reach out to those who have suffered a loss in that way but to reach out to the family of the man who committed these acts," he told CNN.

Sam Stoltzfus, 63, an Amish woodworker who lives a few miles away from the shooting scene, told The Associated Press that the victims' families will be sustained by their faith.

"We think it was God's plan, and we're going to have to pick up the pieces and keep going," he told AP. "A funeral to us is a much more important thing than the day of birth because we believe in the hereafter. The children are better off than their survivors."

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 11:42:32 PM »
I went to a college in northern Michigan thisclose to an amish community, I never hung out with them or anything, but they were friendly enough and always waved and exchanged  hellos. That killer was a nutcase, I hope he burns in hell personally.
E

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 11:45:38 PM »
That killer was a nutcase, I hope he burns in hell personally.

yeah, what the fuck was his deal? it's like he just came out of the blue with this shit.  that's scary . . . his dad was a police officer and his mom was like a church lady.

the grandfather i quoted in my first post actually met with his family.

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 11:46:50 PM »
yeah, what the f**k was his deal? it's like he just came out of the blue with this shit.  that's scary . . . his dad was a police officer and his mom was like a church lady.

the grandfather i quoted in my first post actually met with his family.

It was a 20 year grudge. Also, what kind of a man lets the boys go and murders the girls? weird dude.
E

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006, 12:09:30 AM »
Allow teachers who legally carry a weapon in real-life to carry in school.  Hold them to very high standards.  But the police take 8 minutes to get there, 5 minutes to get organized, and then will either wait outside or slowly advance, room-by-room.  A teacher or administrator who works there will hear the ruckus/be alerted and know his/her way around.  He'll get there in a minute or less.  He'll possibly instinctively recognize the man who doesn't belong in the classroom, or be able to more quickly identify the bad egg of a child based upon past experiences.

Plus the deterrance factor-  If the students and genpop know that some teachers carry, but they don't know which teachers carry, they're going to find someplace else to start capping people. 

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2006, 12:13:52 AM »
Allow teachers who legally carry a weapon in real-life to carry in school.  Hold them to very high standards.  But the police take 8 minutes to get there, 5 minutes to get organized, and then will either wait outside or slowly advance, room-by-room.  A teacher or administrator who works there will hear the ruckus/be alerted and know his/her way around.  He'll get there in a minute or less.  He'll possibly instinctively recognize the man who doesn't belong in the classroom, or be able to more quickly identify the bad egg of a child based upon past experiences.

Plus the deterrance factor-  If the students and genpop know that some teachers carry, but they don't know which teachers carry, they're going to find someplace else to start capping people. 

Or the teachers would be the first to be slaughtered. Maybe the goth freaks should be expelled at the high school level? OT but, You guys remember in Bowling for Columbine when that dude in the wheelchair tried to return the bullet pulled out of him to K mart? Pretty cool scene, even if that fat liberal Mike Moore filmed it.
E

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2006, 12:23:36 AM »
Or the teachers would be the first to be slaughtered. Maybe the goth freaks should be expelled at the high school level? OT but, You guys remember in Bowling for Columbine when that dude in the wheelchair tried to return the bullet pulled out of him to K mart? Pretty cool scene, even if that fat liberal Mike Moore filmed it.

I'm fine with kicking out the goth assholes that don't do any work and show violent tendencies.  heck, I think society would be smarter to put 1/3 of kids into votech trianing in 8th grade automatically.  They'd be a lot more prepared for life, they'd have a skill, and schools could be better funded per student- only kids who wanted to be there and could do the work, would be there.

That being said, if the pricks are going to shoot 30 people, they're going to shoot 30 people. I'd MUCH rather have a cafeteria worker, the principal, a gym teacher, and two history teachers running into the room where the trenchcoat asshole is playing COlumbine, than wait for the police to assemble a SWAT team and devise a plan.  Immediate action would save lievs.  Sure, those teachers might be the first to die. But they die with a gun in their hands and a nice chance.  13 little girls, bound, and shot in the head one by one have zero chance.

Plus, if goth kids knew that some teachers carried and they'd be immediately faced with resistance, they might take the fun elsewhere.

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2006, 12:31:10 AM »
I'm fine with kicking out the goth assholes that don't do any work and show violent tendencies.  heck, I think society would be smarter to put 1/3 of kids into votech trianing in 8th grade automatically.  They'd be a lot more prepared for life, they'd have a skill, and schools could be better funded per student- only kids who wanted to be there and could do the work, would be there.

That being said, if the pricks are going to shoot 30 people, they're going to shoot 30 people. I'd MUCH rather have a cafeteria worker, the principal, a gym teacher, and two history teachers running into the room where the trenchcoat asshole is playing COlumbine, than wait for the police to assemble a SWAT team and devise a plan.  Immediate action would save lievs.  Sure, those teachers might be the first to die. But they die with a gun in their hands and a nice chance.  13 little girls, bound, and shot in the head one by one have zero chance.

Plus, if goth kids knew that some teachers carried and they'd be immediately faced with resistance, they might take the fun elsewhere.

Valid points. I am getting sick of all these innocent kids being killed for no good reason. The amish thing just baffles and infuriates me. But the goth kids? When I was in school people got picked on, and went on with their lives. Nowadays, some of these punks think that murder is the answer? I would just like an oppurtunity to explain to these punks that high school, while fun, is such a small part of life. To ruin so many lives cuz you are unhappy at the awkward ages of 13-17 is a fuckin shame.
E

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2006, 03:08:12 AM »
Admirable people the Amish, forgiveness is more than I could do

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2006, 03:44:21 AM »
Admirable people the Amish, forgiveness is more than I could do

It's also the only way to truly heal
w

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2006, 04:42:02 AM »
Yes, I like the sound of these Amish people - we could all take a leaf out of their books in terms of coping with this sort of thing.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2006, 06:26:44 AM »
A old Cherokee chief once told his grandson:

"A terrible fight is going on inside me - a fight between two wolves. One is evil, and represents hate, anger, contention, arrogance, selfishness, intolerance, and superiority. The other is good, and represents joy, peace, love, humility, kindness, mildness, generosity, and compassion. This same fight is going on inside you, inside every other person too."

The grandson then asked: "Which wolf will win?"

The old man replied simply: "The one you feed."

- A Native American Folk Tale
w

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2006, 06:44:32 AM »
I know someone who dropped everything and moved to Amish country to open a b&b.  She said they're quite literal people who don't joke much.  It took her over a year to get used to them.

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2006, 07:39:28 AM »
I know someone who dropped everything and moved to Amish country to open a b&b.  She said they're quite literal people who don't joke much.  It took her over a year to get used to them.

I bet you couldn't ask for better neighbours though

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2006, 07:53:06 AM »

I haven't had much personal contact with alot of Amish people. Those I have met I found to be soooo pleasant.
I met one Amish couple in Toronto, ...on the subway of all places. Really, really nice couple.

One of my friends has had many encounters with the Amish and he's terrified of them.
They spooked him that badly{lol}
w

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2006, 08:00:58 AM »
I haven't had any contact with them either. My gf told me it was difficult dealing with them in the sense that they took everything, even the slightest nicety (sp) seriously. For instance, if she said, thanks have a great day, they would say, well it's raining and there's so much work to do, so I don't think it's going to be a great day, why do you think it's a great day? kind of thing. Anyway, my gf and her husband lasted about 3 years then moved to the Caribbean.

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2006, 08:15:41 AM »
Seems like they are serious type, but never thought of them as being that serious as to say something like that to such a common comment

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2006, 07:51:08 PM »
who the fuck shoots little girls? i hope that there is a hell, and that the asshole rots in it.

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2006, 08:18:22 PM »
My step-daughters best friend was killed at 15 by a drunk driver. Her parents, very religious people, forgave the guy instantly.

They are better people than me, as I would honestly want to kill anyone who harmed my step-daughter.

Admirable people the Amish...that crime was simply horrendous :-[

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2006, 08:20:30 PM »
I'm thinking about the Middle East mostly, and how they react there . . . but I guess the point of my original post was that maybe hatred and anger are not the solutions.
the jews are indeed a horrible people  ;D
follow the arrows