Author Topic: power cleans...  (Read 2922 times)

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
power cleans...
« on: October 05, 2006, 07:44:46 AM »
i realized last night that i'm in need of this exercise  :-\..i have hell getting weights up to the point where i can press them up overhead...once there there's no problem.

anyone have any good demostration vids or good tips on performing this exercise?  ???

Parker_Boy

• Getbig II
  • Lifting helps!
Re: power cleans...
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 08:11:49 AM »
What's up Rush!

Here is a link I had showing a clean.... http://www.uwlax.edu/strengthcenter/videos/exercisevideos/Power%20Clean.mpg

Here is the home page.... http://www.uwlax.edu/strengthcenter/videos/video_index.htm

I know you have experience with weights but I would recommend starting out by getting comfortable with the lift first if you haven't done so already. Going too heavy too fast could lead to injury. I do cleans every two or three weeks for higher reps (12), 4 sets. I think this flies in the face of conventional heavy lifting but I use them more for athletic performance than muscle size.

Where you from in Texas?

Regards,

Parker Boy
If it is to be.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 09:33:58 AM »
Do u feel it is neccessary to kind of bounce the weight of upper legs on the 1st part of the lift, i have always tried to avoid that?!

texas i clean every week i love it, i used to perform them so that at the end of each rep i wouldnt let the weight rest on the floor, kept constant tension on muscles,but now i know its supposed to start from the floor at its more effective.
I also perform hang clean and presses which i love, but are very tuff wen done for sets of 10 reps. On this exercise the weight starts and finishes from just above the knee so u never put bar down during the set.
ALSO just started doing unilateral Db snatches.

Good luck there awesome for everything.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 09:39:41 AM »
what kinda hand spacing do you guys use?

PB i'm in fortworth! what about yourself!  ???

i plan on using 25's on each side to get the form and motion down.

Parker_Boy

• Getbig II
  • Lifting helps!
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 10:02:15 AM »
I keep my hands just outside my shoulders, any further and I feel like I lose a little bit of control.

If you're pulling 400 for stiff leg deads then cleans with 25's will feel almost like nothing. That being said, once you have incorporated them into your workouts for a while you will really notice a difference in your overall strength.

Davie, I never bounce the weight off my upper legs, probably because I never go that heavy.

Have you guys tried power shrugs for your traps? Good stuff there...

Good luck fellas!

Regards,

Parker Boy
If it is to be.

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 10:05:39 AM »
what is a power shrugs?

i sld for all my deadlifting...last sunday i hit 535 for a triple no problem.

it's not for the bottom half as much as it is for the top half..i'm trying to build up my shoulders apart from seated presses. i've got a shoulder right now that's starting to have an issue that i'm trying to avoid and build back up. 

Parker_Boy

• Getbig II
  • Lifting helps!
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 10:55:43 AM »
A power shrug is essentially the middle motion of a power clean. It is intended to be a power move for the traps. You start out with the bar resting on your thighs (the weight should be heavy) and then power shrug your shoulders. You use some momentum from your legs to help you get the weight moving up, you arms remain straight, you don't clean the weight up to your shoulders. I'm not sure I explained that very well...

It's a move that I started using when the ol DB shrugs lost their shine and I could tell a difference in a couple of months, now I cycle them in once a year for three or four months.

Anyway, I mentioned them because Davie asked about resting the weight on the upper thighs. Oh, if you're pulling 535 for stiff legged deads, you're pretty dang strong. Congrats.

BTW, I'm from Round Rock, just north of Austin.

Regards,

Parker Boy
If it is to be.