Author Topic: ESPN article on MR OLYMPIA contest 2006  (Read 4735 times)

the shadow

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • THE FLAG OF THE ZAPATISTA ARMY OF LIBERATION
RATM RULZ THE WORLD

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: ESPN article on MR OLYMPIA contest 2006
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 09:13:26 AM »
Mike Fish is an investigative reporter for ESPN.com. He can be reached at michaeljfish@gmail.com.

Very one-sided and negative piece.

slayer

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 09:25:29 AM »
Mike Fish is an investigative reporter for ESPN.com. He can be reached at michaeljfish@gmail.com.

the article was on point, no problem with it at all,,,, it wasnt about bodybuilding  it was about victor conte!

basically old news!

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 09:31:08 AM »
At the Olympia Expo late Saturday afternoon, Mike Tyson, another ex-con, poses at a supplement company's booth, surrounded by a trio of topless models whose torsos are painted in Thermolife's colors of orange, black and gray. Amid the steroid-enhanced musclemen patrolling the Expo, Tyson looks sad and puny.

Dennis "The Menace" James, another bodybuilder who pleaded guilty to the same misdemeanor charge in the steroid case last year, hastily waddles away when approached by a reporter. But Sarcev, who argues that steroids have been unfairly demonized, stays put.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 09:42:20 AM »
Agreed that it was about Conte/Balco, but they always manage to rub that little bit of negativity and condescending attitude about bodybuilders in the process trying to put it down.

Its what people do when they do not understand something that intimidates them. They ridicule it.
Theres people out there walking around with their eyebrows, noses, nipples and cocks pierced, dubious sexual preferences have been condoned, interracial relationships have got acceptance, I could go on and on(you get the point)society has become more open and understanding, but not with regards to boybuilding.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 09:44:42 AM »
At the Olympia Expo late Saturday afternoon, Mike Tyson, another ex-con, poses at a supplement company's booth, surrounded by a trio of topless models whose torsos are painted in Thermolife's colors of orange, black and gray. Amid the steroid-enhanced musclemen patrolling the Expo, Tyson looks sad and puny.

Dennis "The Menace" James, another bodybuilder who pleaded guilty to the same misdemeanor charge in the steroid case last year, hastily waddles away when approached by a reporter. But Sarcev, who argues that steroids have been unfairly demonized, stays put.

Unnecessary use of derrogatory language.

Where the pics of the topless chicks?

Kaliym73

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 09:46:10 AM »

I TOTALLY AGREE.

Childish///AMG

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 09:58:19 AM »
I sat next to those "Chicks" and they were hot!!!!! 8)
Thanx for posting the article

bcrizzy

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 10:05:44 AM »
Agreed that it was about Conte/Balco, but they always manage to rub that little bit of negativity and condescending attitude about bodybuilders in the process trying to put it down.

Its what people do when they do not understand something that intimidates them. They ridicule it.
Theres people out there walking around with their eyebrows, noses, nipples and cocks pierced, dubious sexual preferences have been condoned, interracial relationships have got acceptance, I could go on and on(you get the point)society has become more open and understanding, but not with regards to boybuilding.
i mean do u really expect bodybuilding to be taken seriously.......its a freakshow with homosexuall undertones, shemales and gay for pay.............its not a sport it takes no athletic ability and has no popularity, what type of article did u expect

mrsirjojo

• Getbig II
  • Si vis pacem, Para bellum.
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006, 10:28:18 AM »

What would you have written that was positive?

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2006, 12:21:21 PM »
Sarcev, a self-described steroid expert, trainer and gym owner, created weight lifting programs for several BALCO athletes, including sprinter Tim Montgomery. He told ESPN.com that he supports Olympic doping control, but only because steroids work too well

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2006, 12:23:48 PM »
"I'm going to tell you this, they [are] absolutely crazy," Sarcev says of the government's crackdown on performance-enhancing drugs. "The government is feeding the media wrong information, that anabolic steroids are destructive drugs. Anabolic is a word; it means 'constructive.' Not 'destructive.' Anabolic steroids can be very healthy medications. They are used for critically catabolic patients -- HIV, after injuries, burn victims. [When] everybody is dying, feeling ill, weak, cannot function -- that is when doctors give them steroids and they revive.

figgs

• Getbig IV
  • from realization to infinity
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2006, 12:24:48 PM »
That's my lifestyle that asshole is insulting. I'd knee him in the face if I ever met him.
~

jesusbod

• Getbig IV
  • Bite Me!
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2006, 12:24:56 PM »
I like Milos's take on the Media's demonation of steroids.

He has a good head on his shoulders. I feel unless you have first hand knowledge of Steroids you have no right to knock them.

HUGEPECS

• Getbig V
  • School of Hard knocks Gym
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2006, 12:32:14 PM »
those muthafcukers at ESPN never liked bodybuilding anyway. It's nothing new
Get Big, or Die Trying

IceCold

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2006, 01:10:15 PM »
espn is so hypocritical.

they dis bbing but show 'world's strongest man' every single day.

espn was bitching when their ratings went through the roof when all the baseball players were using drugs and hitting all those home runs.  eveyone knew what they were doing.  including espn.

besides, victor conte was never really involved with the bodybuilding scene anyways. 

FUCK THE MAINSTREAM. 
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL ABBOTT (1966-2004)

leycus 101

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2006, 01:23:57 PM »

Very one-sided and negative piece

I before E except after C... class dismissed  ;)
pump'em dump'em

bic_staedtler

• Getbig IV
  • That is all.
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2006, 01:52:00 PM »
Patrick Arnold is going to jail?

I thought he was the brains behind the pro-hormone movement....what's he got to do with BALCO?

dknole

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2006, 03:28:02 PM »
Pat designed the drugs that Victor gave to the athletes (in violation I believe of various FDA laws and federal law) along with making other drugs (non-detectable) for other athletes  - Rick Collins got him 3 months I think on what could have been 10 or 11 years in jail.

HERACLES

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2006, 03:30:10 PM »
Funny how those guys in strongman contests are even more juiced up than BB pros... and strongman to be more mainstream than pro BB..imagine that.

bic_staedtler

• Getbig IV
  • That is all.
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2006, 09:34:04 AM »
Funny how those guys in strongman contests are even more juiced up than BB pros... and strongman to be more mainstream than pro BB..imagine that.

...not entirely strange.  People, the "mainstream" in general will usually be in favour of sports, other things that actually PRODUCE, or display some sort of effort or skill.  Since the average person doesn't see the work it takes to get in that shape for a bb'er, they just see the end result.  That skews their perception....as a matter of fact one of the loudest ovations I've ever heard was when I saw a strongman comp a few years back when a dude got the LAST Atlas stone in place.....I was like, man, if bb'ing had this kind of following!

And yes, those guys were CRANKED to the gills!...and no need to diet!

thisiskeith12

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2006, 09:42:57 AM »
Mike Fish is one of those assholes who doesn't think his shit stinks and acts like he's never broken the law or anything bad. He's a fluke who got his big break during the 96 Olympics, since then he's been to about 5 different newspapers. He's brought NCAA sanctions against many college athletic programs and arrests and sanctions of sports agents/investment brokers.

Jerryme7

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Check out www.muscleshoppe.com for the best prices
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2006, 09:43:28 AM »
Damn...I cant believe I missed Mike Tyson! I would have taken a pic for you guys

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2006, 10:19:10 AM »

they dis bbing but show 'world's strongest man' every single day.

Thats because people who can compete in the "world's strongest man" events ARE athletes, bodybuilders are NOT!

As one sided as that artical was, I totally agree with the author!

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2006, 03:54:24 AM »
i mean do u really expect bodybuilding to be taken seriously.......its a freakshow with homosexuall undertones, shemales and gay for pay.............its not a sport it takes no athletic ability and has no popularity, what type of article did u expect

Those things do exist, but if you really think bbing is just a freakshow with homosexual undertones, shemales and g4p ,then that either questions what your reasons for being involved on this board are, or just goes to illustrate the typical fan/follower's negative attitude towards the "sport", and that negativity has to be the first to go,in order for wider acceptance to take place.
Look at wrestling WWE, is that a sport? Or is it a freakshow with homosexual undertones, shemales, and gay for pay, is it a sport or entertainment? Is it popular?