Author Topic: Icelandic powerlifter  (Read 4016 times)

Niswonger

• Getbig I
  • Who's a llama?
Icelandic powerlifter
« on: October 05, 2006, 09:38:23 AM »
There was a video of a young guy from iceland deadlifting 800+, it was a great pull, I was wondering if anyone could tell me his name/stats.

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
Re: Icelandic powerlifter
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 09:41:20 AM »
I know exactly who you're talking about....magnus something...

runs around snorting like a mad bull and knocking shit over in the video?

Niswonger

• Getbig I
  • Who's a llama?
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 09:48:12 AM »
Yep, it was a small, maybe local gym and knocks over the chalk stand.  I was wondering his age and how he is doing now as a powerlifter?

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 12:25:19 PM »
[ Invalid YouTube link ]Benedikt+Magnusson&search=Search

I think he is 23?

8)

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 06:47:41 AM »
it always looks like he's got a bad case of the "stink finger"

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 08:52:06 AM »
it always looks like he's got a bad case of the "stink finger"

lol...

he has a small ammonia cap behind his ear and he snaps it and sniffs it before he lifts...due to the quality of the video it is hard to see such a small cap. i use them at meets.

8)

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 05:33:25 PM »
I think Benedikt Magnusson is 21 or 22 years old.

Both he, Phil Pfister, Glenn Ross and Brian Siders lifted less in the Hummer Deadlift than the greatest strongman in the world, Zydrunas Savickas at this years Arnold.

The display of power through all of the events from Savickas... As Arnold put it: Savickas has taken it to a entirely new level.

He's on a different level than everyone else.

Including the winner of this years WSM, Phil Pfister.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 05:40:38 PM »
I think Benedikt Magnusson is 21 or 22 years old.

Both he, Phil Pfister, Glenn Ross and Brian Siders lifted less in the Hummer Deadlift than the greatest strongman in the world, Zydrunas Savickas at this years Arnold.

The display of power through all of the events from Savickas... As Arnold put it: Savickas has taken it to a entirely new level.

He's on a different level than everyone else.

Including the winner of this years WSM, Phil Pfister.

YIP
Zack
Phil is not very strong on the gym lifts Zack, he was here in town a few years ago and me and a couple of friends went to a bar where him, Whit Baskin, Johnny Perry and a few other strongmen went and we asked him what his lifts were and he said "395 bench, 550 rock bottom squat and 600 deadlift", now this is around 5 years ago and i'm sure he's a bit stronger now but he's an animal on the actual events.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 06:01:28 PM »
Phil is not very strong on the gym lifts Zack, he was here in town a few years ago and me and a couple of friends went to a bar where him, Whit Baskin, Johnny Perry and a few other strongmen went and we asked him what his lifts were and he said "395 bench, 550 rock bottom squat and 600 deadlift", now this is around 5 years ago and i'm sure he's a bit stronger now but he's an animal on the actual events.

One has to give it to Pfister though: Great athletisism, and great shoulder strength. Gigantic hands to booth as well, part of the reason why he does the Inch Dumbbell and Apollon's Axle so well.

Reason I'm mentioning the ASC competition, is because I saw a re-run of it tonite, the first time I've seen the whole thing. Savickas... The guy's just too fcuking massive. The others are great, but Savickas is on a different planet.

He seems to have added a lot of size, while still holding on to adequate stamina. Unreal.

Pudzi, who looked his biggest ever, and Vasiluyk, also in good shape, both were miles behind.

There is only one man in history that may be comparable to Savickas IMO, and that man is Rezazadeh. We'll see at the Olympics in Beijing. I predict that Reza will break the all time best lifts in both categories. His current technique is shit, but his strength is through the roof due to his recent gain in weight.

Kazmaier could've been just as good. But he never fulfilled his potential.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

sarcasm

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 06:12:36 PM »
One has to give it to Pfister though: Great athletisism, and great shoulder strength. Gigantic hands to booth as well, part of the reason why he does the Inch Dumbbell and Apollon's Axle so well.

Reason I'm mentioning the ASC competition, is because I saw a re-run of it tonite, the first time I've seen the whole thing. Savickas... The guy's just too fcuking massive. The others are great, but Savickas is on a different planet.

He seems to have added a lot of size, while still holding on to adequate stamina. Unreal.

Pudzi, who looked his biggest ever, and Vasiluyk, also in good shape, both were miles behind.

There is only one man in history that may be comparable to Savickas IMO, and that man is Rezazadeh. We'll see at the Olympics in Beijing. I predict that Reza will break the all time best lifts in both categories. His current technique is shit, but his strength is through the roof due to his recent gain in weight.

Kazmaier could've been just as good. But he never fulfilled his potential.

YIP
Zack
yeah Phil is unreal on sheer strength and athleticism and the guy has hands the size of a catchers mitt, i also agree that Zydrunas is easily the strongest man in the world and it would be VERY interesting to see how Kazmaier, Reinhoudt or Paul Anderson in their respective primes would compare against him, it would also be interesting to see how Reza and Savickas would compare on the standing still static strength events like deadlifts and overhead presses, one question though Zack, how do you think OD Wilson would compare to Savickas?
Jaejonna rows 125!!

sarcasm

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2006, 06:22:15 PM »
also how do you think the big three superheavy Olympic lifters of the 80's, Taranenko, Kurlovich and Krastev would do in that type of event, Zack?
Jaejonna rows 125!!

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2006, 06:21:45 AM »
also how do you think the big three superheavy Olympic lifters of the 80's, Taranenko, Kurlovich and Krastev would do in that type of event, Zack?

Don't really know much about Krastev, though Bulgarians tend to have less brute strength and train more sport specific (competition lifts only). Doubt he would've done well at all.

Of the Soviet lifters, I think Kurlovich would've done fairly well. Taranenko could've been one of the top guys, ie top 6-8 in the world, possibly contend for the WSM title depending on the events.

OD Wilsons big problem was stamina. That's how he was robbed from one WSM title, forget which. Some kind of medley, where he just ran out of steam. I think it was back in 1991? And Magnus Ver Magnusson was able to pass him.

Shame really.

OD could probably match Savickas in one or two events, maybe even beat him. But no way he would be able to hang with Savickas through a series of events.

The way Savickas was able to defeat Magnusson in the Hummer deadlift... That was some kind of statement...

YIP
Zack

As empty as paradise

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2006, 07:01:51 AM »
OD Wilsons big problem was stamina. That's how he was robbed from one WSM title, forget which. Some kind of medley, where he just ran out of steam. I think it was back in 1991? And Magnus Ver Magnusson was able to pass him.
I think you are referring to his loss by half a point to Sigmarsson. He lost it in the final event (brick race). IIRC he actually won the medley (anvil loading, I think).

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2006, 01:42:22 PM »
I think you are referring to his loss by half a point to Sigmarsson. He lost it in the final event (brick race). IIRC he actually won the medley (anvil loading, I think).
that brick race was bullshit od got robbed >:(