Author Topic: competing in bbing is for a very small % of people  (Read 5742 times)

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
Re: competing in bbing is for a very small % of people
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2006, 03:56:47 PM »
WRONG.
Stage lighting is EXTREMELY bright.  It is not from a single plain (overhead in your case) it is from all angles, designed to prevent shadowing.
In the 70's, overhead lighting was employed.  But, not now. 
Check out the '99 Grand Prix everyone goes crazy over. 
People WERE NOT in better shape at that show.  The lighting was better. 

You have never been on a bbing stage.  You have no idea. 

You know I speak the truth.  And you KNOW you were not that lean. 

How's that navel fat feel? 

Epic belly button depth.
Doison, im just wondering....are most shows equipt with lighting like that? even small ones like local shows?
bodybuildersreality.com

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2006, 03:58:15 PM »
WRONG.
Stage lighting is EXTREMELY bright.  It is not from a single plain (overhead in your case) it is from all angles, designed to prevent shadowing.
In the 70's, overhead lighting was employed.  But, not now. 
Check out the '99 Grand Prix everyone goes crazy over. 
People WERE NOT in better shape at that show.  The lighting was better. 

You have never been on a bbing stage.  You have no idea. 

You know I speak the truth.  And you KNOW you were not that lean. 

Epic belly button depth.

Clueless. Just like the rest of them.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2006, 04:00:41 PM »
you gotta take criticism. good and bad.
bodybuildersreality.com

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2006, 04:01:04 PM »
Doison, im just wondering....are most shows equipt with lighting like that? even small ones like local shows?

Yes, most of hte shows are set up that way.  

This is a large reason why everyone says "I looked better the day after."

No, they looked better in their bathroom with favorable lighting.  They would look even worse on stage.  

This is why kamali looks so insane in his hotel room and kitchen.  And also why people wonder why people didn't "nail it" on stage, when they looked so good at the gym.  

Y

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2006, 04:02:23 PM »

Do the Elite then. 

They don't judge gaping belly buttons favorably though....
Y

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2006, 04:03:30 PM »
Dude, why would you pic a handle like "Pet Shop Boys"? They were the most blatant bunch of queers in 80's rock and thats saying a lot.

Maybe they are,  "in the projects" you live in.....

Woooooshhhhhhhhhh

Alex23

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2006, 05:07:55 PM »
TA loves the dark and will never get on a real BB stage.

wwooooooaaaaaain !!! The Tigress has spoken the Truth. AdoWarts, why do you allways bring everything back to you? Some attention you need.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2006, 05:09:37 PM »
Yes, most of hte shows are set up that way.  

This is a large reason why everyone says "I looked better the day after."

No, they looked better in their bathroom with favorable lighting.  They would look even worse on stage.  

This is why kamali looks so insane in his hotel room and kitchen.  And also why people wonder why people didn't "nail it" on stage, when they looked so good at the gym.  

No idea what contests you are looking at but all the ones I have been to and watched, the stage lighting makes everyone look Great!

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2006, 05:34:37 PM »
Tons of people compete worldwide, but end up looking like complete shit.  I personally think that when most people get to a very low bf% they look real bad.  Take TA for example.  Just not pleasing to the eye. Mike Arvilla.  Looked bad very lean.  I mean I had friends who played soccer whos legs kill "bodybuilders" physiques and they dont work out.  They had a higher bf% but quads especially where twice the size as these guys.  I think 99.99% of lifters should be happy being 7-10% bodyfat, maybe try competing once, and if you look like shit, be happy just being an avid weightlifter. 
I'm not saying this because I think I'm a better bber that you.  NO, I don't have the genetics and would look absolutely terrible at 4% bf.  I would end up looking like a swimmer.  Layne Norton even looks bad in my eyes.

Overall my point is this: Unless your genetics are unreal.  You WILL look very unimpressive on a bbing stage.

that is very true...people that think these top bodybuilders are just a product of drugs are completely clueless.

there are tons of guys in gyms all over the world who load up on drugs as much or more than any pro yet they would still look like complete garbage on a bodybuilding stage.

elite bodybuilders are genetically gifted...there is a very small percentage of people in the world who have what it takes to become a pro no matter how many drugs they take.

TheGoldenPrince

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2006, 10:28:42 PM »
Yeah right.
Team Goodrum!

Sir William Idol

• Getbig IV
  • you got a fight comin
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2006, 10:33:46 PM »
Tons of people compete worldwide, but end up looking like complete shit.  I personally think that when most people get to a very low bf% they look real bad.  Take TA for example.  Just not pleasing to the eye. Mike Arvilla.  Looked bad very lean.  I mean I had friends who played soccer whos legs kill "bodybuilders" physiques and they dont work out.  They had a higher bf% but quads especially where twice the size as these guys.  I think 99.99% of lifters should be happy being 7-10% bodyfat, maybe try competing once, and if you look like shit, be happy just being an avid weightlifter. 
I'm not saying this because I think I'm a better bber that you.  NO, I don't have the genetics and would look absolutely terrible at 4% bf.  I would end up looking like a swimmer.  Layne Norton even looks bad in my eyes.

Overall my point is this: Unless your genetics are unreal.  You WILL look very unimpressive on a bbing stage.

dude dont be a dick to kamali, you know he reads the boards
its comin today

TheEgoCrusher

• Getbig III
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2006, 11:16:26 PM »
There are lots of delusional people out there.  Some people just can't come to terms with the fact that they aren't bodybuilders...they just lift weights.  To make matters worse, these idiots will use a little bit of gear, think they are pharmacists and give out bad advice to everyone they can.

A little bit of knowledge in the wrong hands is dangerous.

There comes a point in someone's life when they have to make an honest assessment of themselves and say, "You know, I was not MEANT to be a bodybuilder.  I don't have the genetics to compete."  Some guys wake up and see reality...some don't.  These delusional guys make me laugh.

SWOLETRAIN

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2006, 11:23:50 PM »
Competing for me is a contest with myself. I live and breathe bodybuilding. If grown accustomed to this lifestyle and will never change. I want to be pro more than anything in the world and I'm going to continue to work my ass off in order to make it happen. When looking great just isn't cutting it anymore, maybe its time to take it to the next level. Get bigger and then diet back down and see what the finished product looks like. Thats what this weird ass sport is all about for me.
-

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2006, 11:32:47 PM »

There comes a point in someone's life when they have to make an honest assessment of themselves and say, "You know, I was not MEANT to be a bodybuilder.  I don't have the genetics to compete."  Some guys wake up and see reality...some don't.  These delusional guys make me laugh.

C'mon guys, I thought we were gonna stop picking on Kamali!

CF

• Competitors
  • Getbig II
  • Ready or not!
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2006, 12:11:19 AM »
Stage Lighting is even better!

ITs brighter and brings out detail.

You are clueless.

If I can just chime in hear for a second. Yes the lighting can or cannot help with how you look on stage, but the bottom line is you need to be in excellent, not good condition to look good on stage.  And, in most cases, it's not the lighting that brings out a competitors flaws, but the competitor next to them.  It's really not that difficult to look good when you are standing by yourself.  Granted you are in shape, you will photograph well.  Standing next to a competitor who may be 4 inches shorter than you, at the same weight with a waist 3 inches smaller than yours, better legs sweeps, wider clavicles, fuller arms..... You get the picture. Yes, you wont look that damn good anymore.   I've learned this through experience.  Often time guys in the gym look great, but they are standing next "average joe's" when they wind up onstage next to a bonafide competitor, it's a different story.  Unless you've been onstage, please, don't talk about what you CAN do.  Go ahead and do it.  Don't leave anything to speculation. ;)

I think the initial point of the post was that most people really do not have what it takes to become "great" bodybuilders.  Though this may be true, it does not hurt to try.  I think anyone who has a desire to try, should.  At the very least they will learn not only the amount of discipline necessary to compete, but how difficult it is to become a top-level bodybuilder.  Also, when a competitor does get on stage, he (assuming he is not delusional) will understand whether or not he has worked, dieted and trained hard enough in comparison to his peers.  I've seen many instances when young competitors have been so enthusiastic and confident of their work ethic, only to realize that the guy next to them has trained and dieted twice as hard.  It is a nice but rude awakening, one that is at times needed.

Bottome line guys, seriously you can not compare how you look at home and in the gym to how others look on stage.  If your that confident, do it, there are plenty of shows all year round for you guys to jump into.

Carlo Filippone

btw, this is not a personal attack on you Adonis, i'm relatively new to the boards and have never seen your pics.

LASTREP72

• Getbig III
  • STANZO-20 stayin crisp, tight, and strong!!!
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2006, 12:25:02 AM »

You right bb isn't for most people - because most people don't have the dedication to lift weights, do cardio, and maintains a strick diet - PERIOD!! Most of the time folks will be able to stick maybe one or two of the three!!
I'm Rick James BITCH!!!

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2006, 01:12:29 AM »
Negative read ya post you are the one saying people look like shit when dieted down.What the f**k are you talking about me negative I said as if they the competitors give a shit what you clowns think. OK fUCKSTICK.
constructive criticism....u are negative...by the way...hows your yeast infection? ;)

brad_74

• Getbig II
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2006, 01:24:28 AM »
Who cares????.If somebody wants to compete they compete, as if what you think bothers them.
Well what I think isn't going to bother them, nor should it.   What should bother these "bbers" is that they are sacrificing so much in the diet (money, pleasure, freedom, muscle, and if you are juicing your health) that you don't enjoy the regular things in life.  All for what.....to tell people your a bodybuilder, maybe write advice on bodybuilding.com.  When in reality your phsique is nothing to ride home about.

I guess what my point is that for the HUGE majority of the population, bodybuilding is not something they should try to do.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2006, 02:09:01 AM »
If I can just chime in hear for a second. Yes the lighting can or cannot help with how you look on stage, but the bottom line is you need to be in excellent, not good condition to look good on stage.  And, in most cases, it's not the lighting that brings out a competitors flaws, but the competitor next to them.  It's really not that difficult to look good when you are standing by yourself.  Granted you are in shape, you will photograph well.  Standing next to a competitor who may be 4 inches shorter than you, at the same weight with a waist 3 inches smaller than yours, better legs sweeps, wider clavicles, fuller arms..... You get the picture. Yes, you wont look that damn good anymore.   I've learned this through experience.  Often time guys in the gym look great, but they are standing next "average joe's" when they wind up onstage next to a bonafide competitor, it's a different story.  Unless you've been onstage, please, don't talk about what you CAN do.  Go ahead and do it.  Don't leave anything to speculation. ;)

I think the initial point of the post was that most people really do not have what it takes to become "great" bodybuilders.  Though this may be true, it does not hurt to try.  I think anyone who has a desire to try, should.  At the very least they will learn not only the amount of discipline necessary to compete, but how difficult it is to become a top-level bodybuilder.  Also, when a competitor does get on stage, he (assuming he is not delusional) will understand whether or not he has worked, dieted and trained hard enough in comparison to his peers.  I've seen many instances when young competitors have been so enthusiastic and confident of their work ethic, only to realize that the guy next to them has trained and dieted twice as hard.  It is a nice but rude awakening, one that is at times needed.

Bottome line guys, seriously you can not compare how you look at home and in the gym to how others look on stage.  If your that confident, do it, there are plenty of shows all year round for you guys to jump into.

Carlo Filippone

btw, this is not a personal attack on you Adonis, i'm relatively new to the boards and have never seen your pics.

Welcome to the board, Carlo.

You've done National level shows, right? And did good.

At what point, and time did you realize you had what it takes? Was it a rude awakening for you too, or did you assess the situation and do your homework before-hand?

jr

• Getbig V
  • No homo of peace
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2006, 02:17:24 AM »

Epic belly button depth.

TA suffers from a condition called belly button gyno. No matter how lean someone who suffers from this affliction becomes, there will remain a layer of fat encircling the navel. The only option is to get the gyno removed, by a medical procedure known as liposuction. Belly button gyno has been known to cause epic ranting on internet forums, due to the extremely estrogenic nature of these stubborn fat cells.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2006, 06:21:14 AM »
everybody needs drugs to look good on stage

you could have a natural physique that looks great on a beach but on stage it just looks wrong

E
E

CF

• Competitors
  • Getbig II
  • Ready or not!
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2006, 07:03:51 AM »

Welcome to the board, Carlo.

You've done National level shows, right? And did good.

At what point, and time did you realize you had what it takes? Was it a rude awakening for you too, or did you assess the situation and do your homework before-hand?

Thanks!  Yes, I do compete nationally.  I placed 3rd last year at the nationals and won the 2004 N.A. Championships.  Funny you ask that question.  I began competing in 1992, basically on a dare.  I was young and accepted the challenge.  After doing well in my first few shows, I never would have imagined becoming a pro or a top level amateur.  I trained in some gyms with some HUGE guys!!  That being said, I never felt I would be or could be, big enough.  Through the years I took time off to establish my business.  In the process I kept training when I could.  There were times were I would be out of the gym for months because my schedule did not allow it, as a matter of fact I once took off for 11 months.  In 2000 I competed at the Jr. USA's after a 4 year lay-off and finished 3rd.  I felt at the time that I got screwed, many thought I had won.  Now, 6 years later I look at the video and realize that the judges probably weren't all that wrong. I can see how they placed me 3rd.  I had decided after that show that I would train to improve my physique, not to compete.  That's what I did, concentrating on all my weak points.  In 2002, after not taking any layoffs, I began preparing for national level shows.  I placed 2nd at the Junior Nationals and 5th at the USA's.  This was rewarding, but I still did not believe I could be a pro, or even close.  Since then, my physique has improved every year, however, it was not till last year that I realized I could in fact be a pro!!  13 years of training and many, many contests later, I realized that I had the potential to be a pro.  I've always been honest with myself.  I analyze my physique in comparison to others.  I try to understand why a competitor like Jose Raymond beat me last year and not be bitter that he did.  I try to make improvements so that every time I hit the stage, less people have the opportunity to beat me.

It's taken me a long time to get here.  For someone just starting out, just set your goals and go get em.  Be realistic however, this way you will not be disappointed if you fall short.  Just having competed is a great accomplishment, every time you move up a level, it's a bigger accomplishment.  Being a pro isn't for everybody, as a matter of fact, for many years I wouldn't even discuss it, I just wanted to be amongst the best in the country.  There is nothing wrong with never having made it to the national level or become a pro.  BUT.....  if you've never been onstage, please do not believe for one second that it is easy.

Sorry to be lengthy.

Carlo

btw, my rude awakening came in 2003 at the junior nationals where I did not make the top 15, after having placed 2nd and 5th at 2 national shows the year before.  However, that being said, I did not look good enough nor was I big enough to place in the top 15.  A shitty feeling nonetheless, but, I worked harder because of it.

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2006, 09:35:05 AM »
No idea what contests you are looking at but all the ones I have been to and watched, the stage lighting makes everyone look Great!

I'll simplify it for you then Adam. 

YOU won't look good on stage.  Not even a little bit in the condition you were in for the Mr. Getbig. 
You know this.  That is why you won't get on stage. 
Y

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2006, 09:47:53 AM »
Oh Jesus, he mentioned Arvilla in his post. Incoming post from Arvilla with 383973878983 regurgitated pictures and 453 posts from Cheri proclaiming him Zeus and better than Ronnie.

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2006, 09:51:32 AM »
I agree with the topicstarter, they both looked pretty good before their contest but like shit dieted down.
Arvilla especially looks much healthyer and bigger on a higher bf.