Author Topic: Protein Shakes  (Read 2661 times)

Steve

• Getbig I
Protein Shakes
« on: July 10, 2008, 01:03:18 PM »
Can anybody point me in the right direction I know for mass gain, I need to be looking for powders that are high in carbs/protein. But what else. Was just wondering what peoples opinions were regarding the best ones on the markey for value and quality. Thanks

Markoni

• Getbig II
  • trueprotein discount code MOU110
Re: Protein Shakes
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 01:24:34 PM »
buy protein powder , buy carbs ,(all depends on what you want ) and mix them as you want or order from online stores where is possible to create own mix , like trueprotein.com or protein factory

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 01:26:31 PM »
you want a mix of fast and slow proteins. like whey and casein. you want to have some complex carbs. most protein/carb combos have only simple carbs. your better off buying straight protein powder and throwing a cup of oats into your shaker cup.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 04:20:18 PM »
Can anybody point me in the right direction I know for mass gain, I need to be looking for powders that are high in carbs/protein. But what else. Was just wondering what peoples opinions were regarding the best ones on the markey for value and quality. Thanks

Stick with your basic whey first thing in the morning, pre-workout add some slow burning carbs to your whey (wheat germ, fruit), post work out splash in some simple carbs (dextrose, maltodextrin), before bed go casein based, or blend cottage cheese with some whey and splenda.

dustin

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 04:24:39 PM »
Buy a few kilos of oatmeal and a coffee grinder. It shouldn't cost you more than $15-20 and you'll save fuckloads on all the shitty gainers out there.

ALLMAX Nutrition sells a gainer that has oats for the carb source, but most others are loaded with sugar. All hair splitting aside, I don't consider maltodexterin to be a "complex" carbohydrate. If it tastes like sugar, looks like sugar and makes your body react the same way as sugar... I'd say it's sugar. Don't make the same mistake a lot of people make.

My insulin sensitivity felt like it went down the drain. Thyroid was a little down after the years of sugar bulking but I think I've corrected it. Still, oats are cheap as fuck. With the money you save, you can buy some good protein blends. A little whey with oats and/or casein (don't by ON casein, it's like cement mix), is good post workout. Other than that, eat whole foods and only rely on protein powder to fill in the gaps.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 04:28:22 PM »
Buy a few kilos of oatmeal and a coffee grinder. It shouldn't cost you more than $15-20 and you'll save fuckloads on all the shitty gainers out there.

ALLMAX Nutrition sells a gainer that has oats for the carb source, but most others are loaded with sugar. All hair splitting aside, I don't consider maltodexterin to be a "complex" carbohydrate. If it tastes like sugar, looks like sugar and makes your body react the same way as sugar... I'd say it's sugar. Don't make the same mistake a lot of people make.

My insulin sensitivity felt like it went down the drain. Thyroid was a little down after the years of sugar bulking but I think I've corrected it. Still, oats are cheap as fuck. With the money you save, you can buy some good protein blends. A little whey with oats and/or casein (don't by ON casein, it's like cement mix), is good post workout. Other than that, eat whole foods and only rely on protein powder to fill in the gaps.

People think maltodextrin is a complex carb???  Really?  Hard to believe-- there are a million posts on GetBig talking about the right percentage of maltodextrin and dextrose to use as a post work out simple carb.

dustin

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 04:59:13 PM »
People think maltodextrin is a complex carb???  Really?  Hard to believe-- there are a million posts on GetBig talking about the right percentage of maltodextrin and dextrose to use a post work out simple carb.

I'm not in the business of splitting hairs anymore - did that on bodybuilding.com too much. But in a nutshell, yes. lol don't ask me why...

I've come to really love the taste of oats in my protein shakes. It took a long while to abandon milk (not in PWO shakes though). ON cookies and cream tastes great with oats in it. It also tastes great with plain water. I used to love the chocolate mint flavor but after like 100lbs of the shit I don't really dig the flavor anymore. I used to literally live off shakes because I started off at 100lbs and spent my days bitching about being a "hard gainer" :D

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 06:47:22 PM »

You don't need powders.  ::)  Eat food.  Problem solved.

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 07:52:12 PM »
You don't need powders.  ::)  Eat food.  Problem solved.

Great Advice.

Texan listen to this man :)

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 07:53:56 PM »
this guy has another thread where we gave him advice to eat more, and he needs powders for convience qand because of lack of appetite.

of course whole food has soem benefits over MRP'S, but mrp is better than nothing at all thats 4 damn sure !

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 08:21:19 PM »
this guy has another thread where we gave him advice to eat more, and he needs powders for convience qand because of lack of appetite.

of course whole food has soem benefits over MRP'S, but mrp is better than nothing at all thats 4 damn sure !

For mass gain Id recommend a protein shake ( MRP ) that consisted of the following.

40-50g of protein ( whey isolate preferably )

40 gram of carb

15 gram of fat

Thats about a 500 calorie bomb there, and drinking two of those or so per day should help pack on the mass.

Now this is assuming that you are fairly lean and can handle all those carbs. If your a fatass dont eat that many carbs :) But if your an ecto who is fairly muscular ( which im purely assuming )  you can do the above.

Heres an example of that shake

2 scoops weigh isolate

3/4 cup of dry oats or 1 cup of sliced banana

2 tablespoons of smuckers natural peanut butter

Thats actually a really good shake, and it feels u up like no other.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 08:24:17 PM »
ok how about this

20 grams whey isolate
20 grams calcium casienate
1 cup oats (50g carbs)
splash of cinnamon
four tablespoons flax seed (10 g fat)
crystal light flavoring of choice

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 10:37:23 PM »
ok how about this

20 grams whey isolate
20 grams calcium casienate
1 cup oats (50g carbs)
splash of cinnamon
four tablespoons flax seed (10 g fat)
crystal light flavoring of choice

wouldnt crystal light make that kinda NASTY tasting???

It looks ok to me cept i dont like flax as a source of omega 3's, fish oil is FAR better.  :)

Markoni

• Getbig II
  • trueprotein discount code MOU110
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 11:17:31 PM »
Milk Protein Isolate    50%
Swedish Oat Starch  50%
premium chocolate flavor
price $6.30/lb
+ fish oil from carlson  or alimentnutrition if you are in EU

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 04:06:07 AM »
Fuck all those carbs,  Get a good blend and mix it with heavy cream and peanut butter.  This site is called get big, not get fat.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 06:05:27 AM »

With protein prices growing like weeds, some weight gainers are actually a better bargain than some protein powders.

The quality of weight-gainers today is higher than they were 10 years ago. The new one by Ultimate Nutrition, IsoMass Xtreme Gainer is a pretty good one. My favorite weight gainer was N-Large2. I'd recommend that as well. But, this is under the assumption that you are an ectomorph (and a fairly young one at that), with a flame thrower for a metabolism.

I'm an ectomorph, too. But, I've dropped my use of weight gainers over the last three years, as I find I don't need as many calories as I once did.

Should weight gainers be too high in calories, go with MRPs. As I posted in another thread, ON Whey Gold Meal makes for an excellent choice, especially, if you can get it at the marked-down price from GNC.

Match your liquid meals with your solid one. Usually, I have two liquid meals and one solid meal at work, with breakfast and dinner consumed at home. Give that a shot. If you're in school, then have your shakes between classes.

Eat, Drink, Be Massive, and God Bless!!!

MCWAY

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2008, 08:57:28 AM »
wouldnt crystal light make that kinda NASTY tasting???

It looks ok to me cept i dont like flax as a source of omega 3's, fish oil is FAR better.  :)
i use crystal light powder in my OATMEAL  :D so to me it would be god (i use classic orange powder along with flavorless protein powder _cinnamon +fat free mil)

yup, fish oil is better; fo sho... dha/epa is what the body uses to make prostaglandins; and the turnover from ala to epa/dha is not effecient. however ala is STILL omega-3, and it still boosts fat burning, bmr, and insulin sensitivity.  i would have put fish oil, but drinking a shake with a few capsules in it doesnt seem very practical LOL

d0nny2600

• Getbig V
  • http://i.imgur.com/mCzI3N5.jpg
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2008, 09:02:24 AM »
i use crystal light powder in my OATMEAL  :D so to me it would be god (i use classic orange powder along with flavorless protein powder _cinnamon +fat free mil)

yup, fish oil is better; fo sho... dha/epa is what the body uses to make prostaglandins; and the turnover from ala to epa/dha is not effecient. however ala is STILL omega-3, and it still boosts fat burning, bmr, and insulin sensitivity.  i would have put fish oil, but drinking a shake with a few capsules in it doesnt seem very practical LOL

Gayer than saying fo sho when you are white

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2008, 09:00:59 PM »

more power to ya bro, but orange flavoured oatmeal...........EWWWW GROSS!

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2008, 09:02:36 PM »
more power to ya bro, but orange flavoured oatmeal...........EWWWW GROSS!
dude it aint bad ! i suggest you try it just one time. if its bad when we meet i will bring you a box of oatmeal to replace what you wasted.

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2008, 09:23:47 PM »
dude it aint bad ! i suggest you try it just one time. if its bad when we meet i will bring you a box of oatmeal to replace what you wasted.

Ill just take your word for it  ;D