Author Topic: Yahoo Sports Pound for Pound Ranking...  (Read 9805 times)

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
Re: Yahoo Sports Pound for Pound Ranking...
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2010, 01:09:30 PM »

QFT!!
bump...
can't wait for the usual UFC guy response ;D

Do you think that Fedor fighting Werdum. a UFC reject, really defends Fedor's #1 status?

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2010, 01:39:02 PM »
Do you think that Fedor fighting Werdum. a UFC reject, really defends Fedor's #1 status?

once again that "UFC reject" was (Just one year ago) one fight away from a title fight in the UFC...So 1 single loss to Jr dos santos takes someone from #2 heavyweight in the UFC to a can huh?epic logic...
DAWG

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2010, 03:44:01 PM »
once again that "UFC reject" was (Just one year ago) one fight away from a title fight in the UFC...So 1 single loss to Jr dos santos takes someone from #2 heavyweight in the UFC to a can huh?epic logic...
His overall performance in the UFC on top of his loss was why he was cut. He was never close to being #2 HW in the UFC. Remember 'performance' is also more than just winning a fight. Regardless, this was more than a year ago as well.

Now please answer my question that nobody wants to....

Is fighting Werdum really enough to prove that Fedor is deserving of his #1 status?

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2010, 04:27:05 PM »
His overall performance in the UFC on top of his loss was why he was cut. He was never close to being #2 HW in the UFC. Remember 'performance' is also more than just winning a fight. Regardless, this was more than a year ago as well.

Is fighting Werdum really enough to prove that Fedor is deserving of his #1 status?

yes
DAWG

gmflex

• Getbig V
  • The Empire lives...you rebel scum!!!
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2010, 05:19:40 PM »

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2010, 06:32:40 PM »

oh and lol at his "performance" being an issue he knocked out Vera and gonzaga in the firsts and second Rd's...and that was when they were both in winning form...how is that performance based...And yes it was said that if he beat dos Santos he would be in line for a title shot....so he KO's back to back opponents then suffers one loss at the hands of a guy everyone is/will lose to...and goes from title contender to a UFC reject...all in the course of a single fight...yea epic logic right there...you guys will believe anything Dana wants you to believe...

and yes..werdum has a far superior resume than carwin or brock at this point in time theres no denying it...
DAWG

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2010, 08:34:14 PM »
oh and lol at his "performance" being an issue he knocked out Vera and gonzaga in the firsts and second Rd's...and that was when they were both in winning form...how is that performance based...And yes it was said that if he beat dos Santos he would be in line for a title shot....so he KO's back to back opponents then suffers one loss at the hands of a guy everyone is/will lose to...and goes from title contender to a UFC reject...all in the course of a single fight...yea epic logic right there...you guys will believe anything Dana wants you to believe...

and yes..werdum has a far superior resume than carwin or brock at this point in time theres no denying it...
People like you are so anti UFC that you can't give credit where credit is due, all you want to do is whine about how great Fedor is and that the UFC doesn't have the best fighters.

Hater. ::)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2010, 10:40:34 PM »

Epic speculation right there...Vera should never have  been a HW anyways. Just like Werdum would not stand a chance against the current UFC monsters.

Still stands. Werdum cut not cut it in the UFC. He is a UFC reject. But maybe he will beat Fedor. Then you will have to come up with some new excuses for Fedor.

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2010, 10:47:19 PM »
As opposed to Mindspin and WeightPSHR, two of the most uninformed fanboys on this board, sucking Dana White dick every chance they get?

It's amazing how these fighters are so "amazing" and then cans the second they leave the UFC.

The UFC HW division is not good, has never been good, and will never be good. It's bad, and that's an understatement.

So you telling me Werdum left the UFC by choice? What happened to Sylvia's and Arvloski's careers after they left the UFC? Although it was somewhat their choice....

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2010, 10:54:09 PM »
How is it that someone who goes 2-1 against the top UFC competition at the time a UFC reject? You can't be that retarded, can you?

Your constant waxing of Dana's balls makes me nauseous.

He was CUT from the UFC. REJECT. CAN.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2010, 05:17:38 AM »
So you telling me Werdum left the UFC by choice? What happened to Sylvia's and Arvloski's careers after they left the UFC? Although it was somewhat their choice....

what happened is they ran into Fedor and he destroyed them physically and mentally to the point they wont recover...When you take fighters such as this that were very successfull in the UFC and you see them get handled outside the UFC it tells me there is plenty of competition outside the UFC thats more than capable of beating UFC champions...

DAWG

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2010, 05:22:01 AM »

It's amazing how these fighters are so "amazing" and then cans the second they leave the UFC.

exactly bro...I'm sure when Dos Santos or Anderson Silva or any other successfully fighter leaves the UFC they will just magically turn into a can when they were so dominate in the UFC all because Dana says so....you cant tell these retards nuthin they got Dana's dick so far up there ass there spewing his jizz out there mouths...
DAWG

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2010, 06:53:41 AM »
exactly bro...I'm sure when Dos Santos or Anderson Silva or any other successfully fighter leaves the UFC they will just magically turn into a can when they were so dominate in the UFC all because Dana says so....you cant tell these retards nuthin they got Dana's dick so far up there ass there spewing his jizz out there mouths...

When the UFC fails to re-sign a fighter, there is usually good reason. They only want to keep the best. Afterall, the UFC has the biggest fight roster and best talent overall in MMA ;D

Still I have no answer....

Does a win over Werdum really help justify Fedor's #1 status?

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2010, 07:58:33 AM »
Does a win over any of the multitude of cans currently making up the "talent" in the HW division justify your hero Brock's #1 status?  ::)

Just as expected...No answer to my question. Is a win over Werdum enough to validate Fedor's #1 ranking?

But to answer your question, I think Carwin is the better figher compared to Brock. I actually hate Brock, but he is powerful and does have the skills to put down most HW's. What you fail to realize is that although Carwin and Brock are not the most technical, they have unbelievable size and power that is hard to handle by most HW's.

All I am saying is that Fedor not signing with the UFC is really bringing his #1 ranking into questionable status. He is making himseld 'unavailable' to fighting the best in the world currently.

He could fight anyone of these UFC guys and it would be a bigger test than Werdum.

These are rankings from Sherdog:http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/2/Sherdog-Official-Mixed-Martial-Arts-Rankings-23617

1. Fedor Emelianenko (31-1, 1 NC)
It seemed fairly straightforward that Emelianenko would stake his heavyweight supremacy against Brazilian Fabricio Werdum at Strikeforce’s second CBS offering on April 17. However, a contract squabble between Strikeforce and M-1, which represents Emelianenko, means early summer is the likely time for the bout.

2. Brock Lesnar (4-1)
While no one knows exactly how Lesnar will look in his return to the cage after his bout with diverticulitis, we do know his foe. Come July 3, he will take on Shane Carwin to unify the UFC heavyweight mantle in what should be a blockbuster match for the UFC.

3. Cain Velasquez (8-0)
Whether one wants to call it a passing of the torch or a coming-out party, Velasquez’s performance against Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira at UFC 110 was short and brutal. In less than half a round, Velasquez destroyed one of MMA’s most historically outstanding heavyweights in easily his most impressive performance to date.

4. Shane Carwin (12-0)
It took almost four minutes -- an eternity by his usual standards -- but at UFC 111 in Newark, N.J., Carwin blew off Frank Mir’s doors in the first round to claim the UFC interim heavyweight title. However, the real championship will be contested July 3, when Carwin meets Brock Lesnar at UFC 116.

5. Frank Mir (13-5)
Mir entered his March 27 bout with Shane Carwin as a slight betting favorite. However, he looked none the part in the cage, as Carwin bashed him with left hands in the clinch and decimated the former UFC champion to take the promotion’s interim title. With it, Carwin took Mir’s chance for a rubber match with Brock Lesnar.

6. Junior dos Santos (11-1)
Dos Santos’ March 21 bout with Gabriel Gonzaga was supposed to be a sterner test for the hot Brazilian prospect. However, it was business as usual for “Cigano,” who used his boxing ability to turn out the lights on “Napao” and firmly entrench himself in the UFC heavyweight title race.

7. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (32-6-1, 1 NC)
“Minotauro” had an army of backers who felt the former Pride and UFC heavyweight champion would put on a vintage performance against Cain Velasquez at UFC 110. However, post-fight discussion centered on whether or not Nogueira still has the physical tools to hang with young, elite heavyweights after Velasquez polished him off in a little more than two minutes.

8. Brett Rogers (10-1)
Despite the fact that Rogers was taken out by Fedor Emelianenko in November, “The Grim” will get the chance to vie for the Strikeforce heavyweight crown on May 15. Rogers will take on champion Alistair Overeem, who makes his long-awaited return to the promotion after capturing its heavyweight title in November 2007.

9. Andrei Arlovski (15-7)
The former UFC champion has not seen action since June, when he lasted just 22 seconds against Brett Rogers. However, Arlovski has inked a deal with Strikeforce that will get him back into the cage soon. “The Pitbull” will take on Antonio Silva on May 15 in St. Louis.

10. Fabricio Werdum (13-4-1)
Werdum will have to wait another couple of months to fight for MMA’s heavyweight mantle. He expected to meet heavyweight kingpin Fedor Emelianenko in April, but the Russian’s contract dispute with Strikeforce means that “Vai Cavalo” will have to sit pretty until the early summer.

[/color]

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2010, 08:53:43 AM »
This is such a stupid argument.

Lesnar was out with a life threatening injury until now. Fedor beat Arlovski, he beat Noguerra twice, he's fighting Werdum next. Frank Mir is nothing but a glorified Tomato can.

Your only legitimate arguments are Carwin, Dos Santos and Velasquez who have exactly the same record combined as Fedor and who do not have anywhere near the resume of Werdum. (Maybe combined they do)

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2010, 09:18:05 AM »
Frank Mir is nothing but a glorified Tomato can.

lol

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2010, 09:30:03 AM »

The UFC HW division is not good, has never been good, and will never be good. It's bad, and that's an understatement.
According to every top ten list I have ever seen posted, the majority, in the case of the original post by gmflex 7 of the top 10 HW's, are in the UFC, if that's not a good HW division, then answer the question I've asked a thousand times, WHO HAS THE BEST HW DIVISION IF NOT THE UFC?

Even the Sherdog list has 6 of the top ten in the UFC.

Like I've stated many times, I just want to see good fights, don't care about the org, but I think some people get so caught up in hating on the UFC and think that they are "hardcore" by supporting the little guy, they lose focus on who/what a good fight(er) really is.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2010, 09:36:29 AM »
This is such a stupid argument.

Lesnar was out with a life threatening injury until now. Fedor beat Arlovski, he beat Noguerra twice, he's fighting Werdum next. Frank Mir is nothing but a glorified Tomato can.

Your only legitimate arguments are Carwin, Dos Santos and Velasquez who have exactly the same record combined as Fedor and who do not have anywhere near the resume of Werdum. (Maybe combined they do)

You just summed up what I am getting at. By being afraid not signing with the UFC, Fedor is fighting cans. Guys that are meaningless in his #1 ranking.You just named multiple guys yourself that would be a bigger challenge than Werdum. Records are only part of the equation. It is all about CURRENT performance.

Again I will ask....

Is Werdum ranked anywhere near the top of the HW division in any poll? Is Werdum a fight that verifies Fedor's #1 ranking?

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2010, 10:58:37 AM »
You just posted a poll that had him ranked number 10.

By your logic, every time a fighter fights someone in the top 10 of his respective weight class, he is fighting legit competition. Fedors last 3 fights  (Rogers, Arlovksi, Silvia) have all been against guys that were ranked as top 10 HW's. His next fight is also against a top 10 HW.

What is your point exactly?

Even if Fedor had been in the UFC, he wouldn't have fought Lesnar because he was injured- 

Your only legitimate arguments for UFC HW's for Fedor to fight are three up and comers that have the same record as Fedor combined. These three up and comers have not fought each other yet. You talk about current performance being the biggest indicator yet those three guys have fought who exactly? Carwins only impressive win was over Mir ( a can). Velasquez's only impressive win was against Noguerra ( a beat up old man). JDS's only impressive wins have been against Gonzaga (yawn), and Fabricio Werdum. As far as current performances go, your argument doesn't hold much water.

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2010, 11:19:53 AM »
You just posted a poll that had him ranked number 10.

By your logic, every time a fighter fights someone in the top 10 of his respective weight class, he is fighting legit competition. Fedors last 3 fights  (Rogers, Arlovksi, Silvia) have all been against guys that were ranked as top 10 HW's. His next fight is also against a top 10 HW.

What is your point exactly?

Even if Fedor had been in the UFC, he wouldn't have fought Lesnar because he was injured-  

Your only legitimate arguments for UFC HW's for Fedor to fight are three up and comers that have the same record as Fedor combined. These three up and comers have not fought each other yet. You talk about current performance being the biggest indicator yet those three guys have fought who exactly? Carwins only impressive win was over Mir ( a can). Velasquez's only impressive win was against Noguerra ( a beat up old man). JDS's only impressive wins have been against Gonzaga (yawn), and Fabricio Werdum. As far as current performances go, your argument doesn't hold much water.

Still no answer....all it requires is a 'Yes' or 'No' followed by a simple explanation. Is Werdum a fight that verifies Fedor's #1 ranking?

All the UFC HW's you mentioned are CURRENTLY ranked above Werdum in most polls. I never said Fedor had to fight Brock. All I am saying is that it's quite obvious that by avoiding the UFC, Fedor is avoiding tougher fights. Regardless, his #1 ranking will be stripped if he keeps fighting sub-par talent.

I will admit that besides Overeem, who by the way Fedor dodged by making drug excuses, Werdum is the best anyone has to offer outside of the UFC.

I truly wonder how long the rankings will allow Fedor and his management to continue this Charade as #1 HW without proving it ::)

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2010, 11:49:06 AM »

I will admit that besides Overeem, who by the way Fedor dodged by making drug excuses, Werdum is the best anyone has to offer outside of the UFC.

It's a little late to be complaining about him not fighting UFC guys. He's on fight 2 of a 3 fight contract. His next 2 fights are most likely the two guys you just stated above. What do you want?

You'll get your chance to complain when he wins the next two and his contract is up.

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2010, 11:55:57 AM »

It's a little late to be complaining about him not fighting UFC guys. He's on fight 2 of a 3 fight contract. His next 2 fights are most likely the two guys you just stated above. What do you want?

You'll get your chance to complain when he wins the next two and his contract is up.

So until then, even though he is fighting sub-par talent, he will maintain #1 status ::)

This is what I am complaining about. Fedor needs to DEFEND and EARN his #1 status.

Besides....we will never see Fedor in the UFC. That is an unfortunate reality.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2010, 12:07:07 PM »
So until then, even though he is fighting sub-par talent, he will maintain #1 status ::)

This is what I am complaining about. Fedor needs to DEFEND and EARN his #1 status.

Besides....we will never see Fedor in the UFC. That is an unfortunate reality.

Let me ask you a question.

In the spirit of this "pound for pound" thread, do you think Broc Lesnar would stand a chance against Fedor if he dropped to 230 lbs?

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2010, 12:31:12 PM »

In the spirit of this "pound for pound" thread, do you think Broc Lesnar would stand a chance against Fedor if he dropped to 230 lbs?

Pointless question....This is not a 'Fantasy MMA' thread. Brock was ill, bedridden for 15 days and still weighed more then 230 lbs.

Brock and Carwin both weigh 280 lbs. in the ring. What's your point?

A better question would be how would Fedor do against Anderson Silva if he shed some fat and fought at 205 lbs. We all know Fedor could make 205 lbs.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2010, 01:26:35 PM »

brock doesnt stand a chance against fedor at any weight...true story...
DAWG