Author Topic: Made in Montana - what's your relationship to Steve Reeves?  (Read 36467 times)

w8m8

Re: Made in Montana - what's your relationship to Steve Reeves?
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2008, 08:23:22 AM »
AVBG, I'm glad you and some others might enjoy looking at them. That's why I post them...so people remember and think about what it was like at the beginning of the sport.

Thank you it's enjoyed by more than let you know I'm sure  ;)

I also agree you are beautiful !!

Made in Montana

• Getbig II
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2008, 05:31:10 PM »
Thank you Calmus, AVBG and w8m8.

Steve inspires me because he worked very hard and overcame adversity by positive thinking and having a strong spirit. His father died when he was two. He and his mother struggled through the great depression in Montana. He started lifting scrap metals in his garage when he was in his teens because he didn't have money for a gym membership. Ed Yarrick saw him passing by his physical culture studio and saw his potential and let him train for free. He graduated highschool and entered the service and became known as "The Shape." He served the front lines through WWII and got malaria and lost his health and strength and had to rebuild everything again when he came home. He didn't allow anything to break his spirit...and that's what I admire most. He never gave up.

He never made a dime bodybuilding because bodybuilding wasn't really a developed sport when he was doing it. He borrowed money to travel to compete and won a few trophies in the late 1940's. It cost him money to do bodybuilding because there were no careers or prize money back then, but he did bodybuilding because he loved to train with weights and it made him stronger in body, mind and spirit.

When Steve tried acting in Hollywood, no one wanted him because he was too muscular for most roles at the time. And Gary Cooper, Clark Gable, Rock Hudson...and a few other leading men didn't want him in the picture standing next to them and told the directors this. So for 10 years, he worked various gyms/jobs until an italian director's 13 year old daughter saw him and told her father and he knew Steve had to be Hercules.

The moral of Steve's story to me is clear and simple: Never give up. Use the weights in the gym as a metaphor for the weights in life. Resistance can make you stronger when you learn how to use it to your advantage. And do what you love...because it will help you in whatever work you choose to do.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2008, 09:13:26 PM »
Awesome pics! Steve had the crazy narror waste, great chest development, wide shoulders, vascular and muscular forearms. Just a real man body, that is what I aim for every time I go into the gym. A lean 6'1 215 pounds is perfection imo. Great inspiration to get into the gym.

Made in Montana

• Getbig II
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2008, 01:35:43 AM »
I'm glad you are inspired, Polychronopolous. There are more pictures here:
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=203169.0

AVBG

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2008, 02:04:17 AM »
I'm glad you are inspired, Polychronopolous. There are more pictures here:
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=203169.0
great pics on that thread. 8)

CrockettLives

• Getbig I
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2008, 11:49:26 AM »
Dear Ms. Montana~

I am a longtime admirer of Steve Reeves and I really enjoy all the pictures and info that you post. I come to this thread often, but this is the first time I've ever posted.  Can't thank you enough!

Peace,
Rick

Made in Montana

• Getbig II
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2008, 10:49:58 AM »
Thank you very much, Rick. Your comment and comments like yours are exactly the reason why I post Steve pics. He inspires people still. His training and life philosophies are useful for everyone...so he cannot be forgotten.

I wasn't sure about posting my picture because I don't plan to compete so it's kind of silly to post it, but...a photographer friend of Steve's who took some pictures of me and Steve when I was 7 saw this thread and contacted a friend who contacted me and he sent me pictures of me and Steve I had not seen before...so I know now that was the reason for me to post my picture...because I look the same as when I was younger (except my hair was almost white)...so he recognized and remembered me.
Years before Steve was ever offered the role of Hercules, he posed for an artist friend as Hercules for a series of drawings. Steve said he didn't know why he did it at the time, but he just did it. Steve said everything you send out there comes back to you. So, if I put up pics of Steve, I get pics of Steve sent to me...and the comments that come with them are as priceless as the photos. It's part of the circle of life...and the main principle of his strength training...what you put into something...you also get out of it.

CrockettLives

• Getbig I
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2008, 09:38:36 AM »
Has anyone picked up the new issue of "Reps" yet?  It has a nice feature in it:
• STEVE REEVES: HIS FINAL INTERVIEW:
The original bodybuilder who successfully made the jump from the posing stage to the silver screen looks back on his Herculean career.

If I'm not mistaken there were a few pictures of Serge in there as well.  I din't read that yet I went right to the Reeves interview!  Some great pics as well. One in a million Steve was.

Peace,
Rick

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2008, 10:09:44 AM »
MiM,

With all the interest in Steve and his big box office draw in the 60s, I'm surprised that no one ever did a  biography on Steve.  The only ones I have ever heard of is the hard to find books by Milton T. Moore and Chris LeClaire. 

Any ideas whether anyone in the Reeves extended family or anyone else is working on a bio? 

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2008, 12:14:45 PM »
MIM,

Did you see the Reps magazine article on Steve?  It was written as if Steve was writing his bio, based on one of the last interviews with him.  Pretty interesting article and worth a look.

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2008, 08:29:17 PM »
Steve with Clarence (Clancy) Ross, owner of the first gym I ever joined in 1979-Clancy Ross' Mr America Club, Walnut Creek, CA.

Clancy was one of only two men who beat Steve in competition, and Clancy beat Steve twice.

Clancy was a geat guy.......

Made in Montana

• Getbig II
Clarence Ross Physical Culture Studio
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2008, 02:17:29 PM »

4 Mr. America's: Alan Stephan, George Eiferman, Steve Reeves, Clarence Ross

Made in Montana

• Getbig II
Re: Steve Reeves Interview in REPS mag
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2008, 02:51:08 PM »
Thank you Rick and Dan. It's great REPS did an article on Steve. There are words written in it in ways I think Steve would have said a little differently (maybe the interview questions were removed and his responses edited to fit the length they wanted for the article), but what is good is that the magazine and writer showed an appreciation for Steve's life and work. People enjoy looking at Steve's pictures and hearing about his life...not just about his bodybuilding...but his film and personal life working all over the world. He was inspiring because he had the strength to overcome obstacles and setbacks in order to achieve goals while still keeping down to earth and humble after becoming famous and the #1 box office movie star in the world. Steve had a way about him that was interesting; fans have said that something strong in his spirit as well as his appearance always came through in the characters he played in films. People enjoyed watching him so much that directors always offered him the starring role; he headlined all his films over in Europe (all of which were big budgeted epic sized films and he became the highest paid actor in the world in late 50s/early 60s). European film directors and producers had no problem with the size of his muscular physique and he was never told to look differently or lose weight like Hollywood directors wanted him to do.

One of the greatest compliments someone ever gave him was "Steve was beautiful because he saw the beauty in others." It's one reason people liked being around him.

Thank you Paolo at schwarzenegger.it for hosting Steve pics.

JOCKTHEGLIDE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2008, 04:57:59 AM »
I want to know how steeve got that cool ass facial hair thats near damn perfect?  Did he trim that thing everyday?  ;D :D

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2008, 07:29:08 AM »
I want to know how steeve got that cool ass facial hair thats near damn perfect?  Did he trim that thing everyday?  ;D :D

I highly doubt that is Steve's facial hair....more like "movie magic"....lol.  ::)

JOCKTHEGLIDE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2008, 06:56:49 PM »
I highly doubt that is Steve's facial hair....more like "movie magic"....lol.  ::)
dude no way because he has one off screen also in everyday pics it seems......

Made in Montana

• Getbig II
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2008, 10:33:54 PM »
Steve always grew his own beard for a role. He sometimes kept the beard in between films because he would finish one film that required one and needed one for the next film. Fans would see him walking around town with a beard. He started a trend in Europe. Young men started lifting weights AND growing beards after watching his films. Steve grew his own beard/mustache for Hercules, Hercules Unchained, The Trojan Horse, The Avenger, Sandokan the Great, Pirates of the Seven Seas, Thief of Bagdad, Son of Spartacus, Goliath and the Barbarians, The White Warrior, Morgan The Pirate...that's 11 films right there. His beard/moustache was trimmed/shaved/looked different in various films.

Off the set...before a film.

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2008, 09:30:45 AM »
Steve always grew his own beard for a role. He sometimes kept the beard in between films because he would finish one film that required one and needed one for the next film. Fans would see him walking around town with a beard. He started a trend in Europe. Young men started lifting weights AND growing beards after watching his films. Steve grew his own beard/mustache for Hercules, Hercules Unchained, The Trojan Horse, The Avenger, Sandokan the Great, Pirates of the Seven Seas, Thief of Bagdad, Son of Spartacus, Goliath and the Barbarians, The White Warrior, Morgan The Pirate...that's 11 films right there. His beard/moustache was trimmed/shaved/looked different in various films.

Time to bring that trend back!  Wouldn't it be great to see some of the pros onstage with beards and mustaches?  It'd be a sharp contrast to the full shaven bodies.

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2008, 09:34:42 AM »
Well, all I can say is that Steve had some cool and crazy facial hair!  ::)

I could never get that type of facial hair.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2008, 02:12:17 PM »
Not to sound gay but I have to admit Steve reeves was very good looking.  I missed meeting him several times and now wish I had.

CrockettLives

• Getbig I
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2008, 02:07:42 PM »
Dear Ms. Montana ~

If you've already answered this question, please forgive me. But whatever happened to Ed Yarrick?  I've looked around online some and have found some stuff here and there on him, not much though. Can you help on that one?  Your posts are always a pleasure and I don't always post, but I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the pictures and information you share with us. After all these years, Steve is still an incredible inspiration.
Peace,
Rick from NYC

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2008, 07:37:52 PM »
Dear Ms. Montana ~

If you've already answered this question, please forgive me. But whatever happened to Ed Yarrick?  I've looked around online some and have found some stuff here and there on him, not much though. Can you help on that one?  Your posts are always a pleasure and I don't always post, but I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the pictures and information you share with us. After all these years, Steve is still an incredible inspiration.
Peace,
Rick from NYC

Joe Roark will know, send him a PM and then post here what his reply is.

Joe Roark

• Expert
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2008, 07:41:42 AM »
In response to a PM:

From my files about my phone conversation with Barton Yarick:

[ I talked to Bart Mar 21, 1992 a Saturday from about 2:55 to 3:00. He
        has just moved into the house his mother owned before she died.
        Some years ago she sold about $4,000 worth of magazines and other
        materials to John Grimek... she basically gave up lifting in the
        mid 1960s and would instead walk for exercise- usually with her
        dogs along the canal banks in Modesto, Ca. She and Ed would also
        jog; Ed continued to lift until late in his life and rode a sta-
        tionary bike and a BMW into his 70s ]

So far as I know, no muscle mag contained any detailed mention of Ed's passing, which was in November 1988 (born June 11, 1910). Wife Alyce died December 4, 1991 (born April 18, 1916). Bart was born February 1, 1954.

I have not followed up on that phone call.

There are some natural bodybuilding mags that may have in recent years published an article about Ed (I just don't know). I have no cause of death for Ed, but at age 78, he had a long life. So if anyone is aware of an article published about Ed after his passing, please share that info.

There are some threads about Ed and Alyce on my forum.

CrockettLives

• Getbig I
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2008, 12:24:11 PM »
Joe -

That was fast!  Thank you. Ed Yarrick seemed very interesting and way ahead of his time as well.

Peace,
Rick

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2008, 02:16:04 PM »
With all due respect to Mr Yarick and his family, I don't believe that he would have been as famous as he is today within the BB community if Steve had never trained at his gym. Back then you had to be an extremely exceptional  bodybuilding individual to get acknowledge in any way whatsoever.

In fact most people involved in the game back then were merely considered as oddballs and eccentrics. But Steve was the exception due to the fact that he always looked and dressed like every kid wanted to look like and dress like and get the girls' attention.

When he came to the Russian River during the summer months which was not too very often, everyone talked about this new kid down at the beach that was damn impressive and such a polite kid to one and all.

Any other gym owner in the Bay Area was mostly unknown unless he sought publicity by doing publicity seeking stuff. Jack LaLanne was a great example of that and eventually made him famous worldwide, but I can name a few others who passed through life relative obscurity.

I'll also go so far to state that the photographers who shot physique photos of the young Steve Reeve can attribute their success to Steve himself. Steve made many people famous just by his association with them.