Author Topic: Over 45 training  (Read 415562 times)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: Over 45 training
« Reply #1525 on: April 01, 2016, 08:30:16 AM »
Doing leg curls this way really hits not only the "Hammy"  ;D but calves. Been experimenting with these and doing a Superset with jumping rope. Of course you need full range calf raises but just mixing it up.  ;D

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1526 on: April 01, 2016, 08:33:31 AM »
no like pointing your toes away and staying in that position. sounds weird but works.  :)
I THOUGHT U MEANT EXTENSIONS  :P

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1527 on: April 01, 2016, 08:42:51 AM »
I THOUGHT U MEANT EXTENSIONS  :P
i probably brought it over wrong... :) but it is a great little Tip.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1528 on: April 01, 2016, 09:27:41 AM »
delts/bi forearms...

supersetted 1st movements

fr press with side laterals I like this superset...135/135/145/145 with 25/30/30/30 sides

cable rear delt'i do theses with no handles just cable with front raise holding 45 plate in front x3

upright rows premade bar 60/70/80

cable lateral again no handle and raise sideways out due to grip so it turns delt in different direction kinda..

bi'
curls big bar 85/95/95..nice sets....105'these were forced and heavy sloppy set type felt heavy'been using premade curl bar lately so lost some power with the bigger bar..

seated curl machine padded and pitched single arm at a time..x3

seated low pulley curls elbows in lean back a bit curl to face..these fell good..x3

hammer across body db 45/50 x2

forarms
seated wrist curls x3 rest arms on leg..
same version x3 but wrists curl up other way'reverse
old school reverse curls x3

treadmill

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1529 on: April 01, 2016, 04:06:36 PM »
Trained back and chest:

Pull ups 3 x max
Low V handle lat rows 2x 12 170
Dumbbell rows off a bench 2 x 10 85lbs
Reverse pulldowns 2 x 10

Flat dumbbell bench 2 x 8 85lbs
Incline dumbbell bench 2 x 6
Flat flies 2 x 10 45lbs
Machine flies 2 x 10

deadlifts 2 x 4 300lbs then 1 x 1 325lbs
weighted hyper extensions 2 x 15 25lbs plate behind my head

ab coaster 2 x 22 60lbs
Ab machine crunch 2 x 20

Gym Observations:

Some guy was doing dumbbell flat benches and his butt was sliding all over the bench because he was wearing silky runny shorts.  That guy was me. Had trouble stabilizing because I was sliding all over the place.

Saw a guy load up 275lbs in the decline press and it was like a feather for his reps. Yes, all the way down and not a cheat partial rep.  I know this isn't world beater stuff but I was impressed.

Saw an old lady maybe 75 making up crazy moves with a dumbbell. Don't get me wrong I give her all the props in the world. She started off punching with the little dumbbells they doing a strange lateral move and other stuff.

Big dude had his 6 year old in the unsupervised play room. I don't think I have ever seen a kid in that room. I felt for the guy because his kid kept popping out with a big smile on his face running around the gym.  At one point his father pulled the pin out of the seated V handle lat pull and the kid did almost perfect lat rows with a big smile on his face. Made me feel good seeing the guy's son so enthusiastic to follow in dad's footsteps.

Another knockout is working out in the gym.  The girls keep coming.  ;D

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1530 on: April 02, 2016, 01:27:23 PM »
Doing leg curls.. do you guys find pointing your toes away from your legs brings your calves into play? Just a random question :) I like doing this myself.

Never thought about it. I'll have to check this out when next I work my "hammies". I do both seated and lying leg curls. I'll try it on both. It would seem like you'd know if your calves are brought into play by how they feel.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1531 on: April 02, 2016, 01:30:16 PM »
Trained back and chest:

Pull ups 3 x max
Low V handle lat rows 2x 12 170
Dumbbell rows off a bench 2 x 10 85lbs
Reverse pulldowns 2 x 10

Flat dumbbell bench 2 x 8 85lbs
Incline dumbbell bench 2 x 6
Flat flies 2 x 10 45lbs
Machine flies 2 x 10

deadlifts 2 x 4 300lbs then 1 x 1 325lbs
weighted hyper extensions 2 x 15 25lbs plate behind my head

ab coaster 2 x 22 60lbs
Ab machine crunch 2 x 20

Gym Observations:

Some guy was doing dumbbell flat benches and his butt was sliding all over the bench because he was wearing silky runny shorts.  That guy was me. Had trouble stabilizing because I was sliding all over the place.

Saw a guy load up 275lbs in the decline press and it was like a feather for his reps. Yes, all the way down and not a cheat partial rep.  I know this isn't world beater stuff but I was impressed.

Saw an old lady maybe 75 making up crazy moves with a dumbbell. Don't get me wrong I give her all the props in the world. She started off punching with the little dumbbells they doing a strange lateral move and other stuff.

Big dude had his 6 year old in the unsupervised play room. I don't think I have ever seen a kid in that room. I felt for the guy because his kid kept popping out with a big smile on his face running around the gym.  At one point his father pulled the pin out of the seated V handle lat pull and the kid did almost perfect lat rows with a big smile on his face. Made me feel good seeing the guy's son so enthusiastic to follow in dad's footsteps.

Another knockout is working out in the gym.  The girls keep coming.  ;D

Have you tried peel and stick Velcro strips on the butt of your silkies?  ;D

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1532 on: April 02, 2016, 01:36:31 PM »
Last Thursday I worked shoulders. Although it's been awhile since I'd done delts at the gym, I haven't lost any strength. I guess the push-ups at home kept them up to par.

On Friday I worked chest at the gym. Once again, there was no noticeable loss of strength here. Hooray! I did break with my routine and worked out midday. The weather being great, the gym was all but empty. Nice.

Today I am going to work quads and calves. It will be interesting to see if the squats at home helped me retain strength in my legs. I'll let you know after the workout.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1533 on: April 03, 2016, 06:35:27 PM »
     leg day  ....leg press started i warmed up few plates a side there was a 25 on each side there already so i started throwing 45's over them my work sets
 were 5 plates and 25 per side,6 plates and 25 per side,7 and then i added a 25 on ;last set so total 16 plates were on the sled ,i repped 12/10/10/10/8

i then close foot squatted 225/275/315/315 12/10/10/10 ,,on a heavy day i hit 405x8

extensions sets 12 always 205/220/235/250

i will lunge usually as well ,,nit this workout

hams
i did stiff legged dead lifts 135/185/225/235
single leg curls standing 80/90/100

calves
leg press 'raisesx5..heavy low reps usually 10
standing calf raises x3x12

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1534 on: April 04, 2016, 02:12:19 AM »
yesterday went for an easy run in the woods...they are really cutting down trees in some areas... :( i feel sad.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1535 on: April 04, 2016, 05:20:22 AM »
yesterday went for an easy run in the woods...they are really cutting down trees in some areas... :( i feel sad.
snowing here can't believe it its 40 degrees and wet..

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1536 on: April 04, 2016, 05:47:55 PM »
Legs:

Squats 3 x 8 went up to 275lbs (tried to go deep but I could do better)
leg press 3 x 12
stiff leg dead 2 x 6 205lbs (used a block and went deep. Great for hammies)
leg extensions 2 x 12
Standing leg curls 2 x 12

standing calf raises 2 x 15 195lbs
seated calf 2 x 15 95lbs

4 way neck 2 x 15

ab coaster 2 x 28 40lbs
seated ab crunch 2 x 15

Gym Observations:

Damn is this gym becoming popular. Just packed. Really getting tired of the delusional guys. One 60 year old trains with his wife on the machines. He puts the pin in the bottom of all the machines and does partial reps acting like he's the strongest guy in the world. He also trains in a button down shirt and blue jeans. Here's one example. A big armed young guy is using the preacher scott curl machine. He puts the pin in the middle of the weight stack and does perfect curls. Here comes muscleless wonder guy in jeans. Pin on the bottom jerking up the weight stack with his whole body doing quarter reps.  I don't know why I care but this stuff but it just bugs the hell out of me. He actually goes home thinking he is stronger than this young buck.

I said how this gym is stuck in time with old equipment.  The owner though just got two new pieces. It's a hammer strength pull down and a hammer strength incline press.  I think the hammer pull down machine is incredible from my experience in another gym. Can't wait to use it again.  

I keep to myself working out but this is a relatively small gym. I find myself saying hello to some of the regulars. I'm sure many of them think I'm some kind of scum bag. I don't go to the gym to chat. It seems so many do. I have seen guys stop working out for 20 minutes to bull shit about working out or some other topic.  I try to go from set to set.

I don't know if I told this one before. There is a regular who just uses the cardio equipment. He must blast the music in his ear buds. He makes the loudest grunting noises, moans, and yelps when he is on the elliptical. I'm sure he doesn't even realize it. Made me think. Do I make noises on the treadmill?  He is working hard but sounds like a lunatic.  ;D

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1537 on: April 04, 2016, 07:39:47 PM »
Guys,

Thought I would post a picture of my routine. This is what helps me remember what to do and whether or not I'm making any improvements. Had to start a new sheet today because the previous one was full up. I add different things to this routine just to mix it up. This is just the basis I work from. I was doing cable curls when the next paragraph transpired.

I didn't get to abs which are an add-on because I fucked up my leg by getting my foot caught in a stool which someone left in the middle of the gym floor. It hit my shin so hard that it immediately swelled up with water to the point that it was the size of a tennis ball. After a half hour ice pack, it was starting to shrink some. Here is just how insane I am. When this happened, I continued doing my routine. If anyone saw it and my leg, they likely thought I was a nut job....which I am of course.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1538 on: April 05, 2016, 05:50:53 AM »
cool prime.....just keep it going ,adapt to what you can do pro/con at your age and still strive for your best shape,if ur healthy and have good joints and tendons why not,,,

rich,,,i like your observations always funny/insightful,,i have same guys at my gym I should post what I see.enjoy that hammer strength stuff there great ,I se the pulldown underhanded grip version awesome.

ok on to me...my shoulder at this point is 90 pct better almost chest press and shoulder work at full strength,,i might fatigue rep wise a bit short at times but other than that very good.
gym was packed tho chest nite all benches 'for db work'were taken 'sucks,,

hammer seated press grips start lower and extend to mid point,,warmed with 45 a side,then 45 and 25 a side...2 plates/2 and a quarter x2..last set dropped to 2 plates again for a burn set

seated chest press again but stacked version 3 sets @150 grips here are at or close to upper pecs 'good smooth ride'

cable crossovers x4 sets 12 60/65/70/50 this was 15 reps set'

inc flyes..really getting there in these 35/40/45 I got tired on this set but good pump ...I usually get to 50/55's so i'm close again

finished with inc presses 135 x12 just burned theses nice fluid reps and squeezed..

tris
pushdowns 120/130/140/150..12/12/12/10 was failure on these
seated dip machine 170/180/185 sets 12-10
lying skull crushers premade curl bar 70/70/70 last set did close grip presses to finish
single arm rope extensions x3

abs
supersetted seated crunch machine weighted with roman chair leg raises x3 30-40 rep sets

treadmill

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1539 on: April 05, 2016, 04:49:21 PM »
Cardio day: Ran 3.1 miles in heavy wind and cold. Came home and hit the heavy bag. It was about 29 degrees.  Weather in NJ keeps going warm and cold. Sometimes from day to day.

Park Observations:

I've been seeing this Portuguese looking over weight milf for about 2 years in the park. Just saw her again and she is no longer over weight. Took her a long time but she got it done. She wore the same black colors every time she runs. Black tights, black shirt, black jacket and black hat.  

Old lady was holding a big dog as I was running toward her. I thought this isn't going to end well. The dog jumped up on me but was playful.  The best part was the old lady didn't fall down from holding the lease.  

I was running on an oval on a one mile paved trail.  How could the wind be in my face both ways? What's next? It's going to be uphill both ways?

I run in Asics.  I ordered them online. What made me order the orange color?  I feel self conscience every time I run in them.  I feel I should be wearing a clown nose and a flower that squirts water. Next time it's back to black running shoes.

Running use to be a simple thing for me. Now it's turn on the ipod and find the perfect playlist.  Turn on the GPS watch and wait 4 minutes for it to triangulate the satellites.  Put on gloves and hat then pin the car key to my clothes.  I ran track in high school and college. I just remember wearing any type of crap and getting it done. Never had any music to run to back in the day and now I feel I can't run without my tunes.    

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1540 on: April 06, 2016, 04:31:39 PM »
Delt and arms:

Press behind the neck 3 x 6 up to 135lbs ( pressed from the traps each rep)
dumbbell laterals 2 x 10 30lbs
rear dumbbell laterals 2 x 10 35lbs
barbell shrugs 2 x 10 260lbs
machine delt laterals 2 x 10 70lbs

Weighted dips 2 x 10 25lbs (went all the way down. No shallow reps)
traditional tricep pushdowns 3 x 12
rope tricep 2 x 12

Alternate dumbbell curls 2 x 8 45lbs
machine scott curls 2 x 10
concentration curls 2 x 12

forearm wrist curls 2 x 25 90lbs
reverse grip pulley curls 2 x 12

ab coaster 2 x 29 40lbs
seated crunch machine 2 x 20

Gym Observations: 

Found out why the gym is so crowded.  A gym about 5 miles away suddenly shut down.  All these knuckle heads are flooding this place. I can't stand working out in a crowded gym.

Gaining weight.  I have to cut back on snacking. I won't give up beer though.  ;D

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1541 on: April 07, 2016, 12:00:30 PM »
BACK DAY/TRAP/ABA/CALVES/TREADMILL FAST PACED WORKOUT 1.5 HRS

HAMMER STRENGHT UNDERHAND PULLDOWNS..X4 1 AND 25 PER SIDE,2 PLATES.2 PLATES AND A 10/2 PLATES AND 2 10'S SINGLE ARM AT A TIME
BENT OVER ROWS X4 185/205/225/135 10/8/6/15 REPS
LOW CABLE ROW DONE WITH WIDE PULLDOWN BAR 165/180/185 10/10/10
UPPER PULLDOWN' STANDING 'WIDE BAR UNDER HANDED GRIP PULL TO UPPERCHEST X3
CHINUPS WIDE X2 INNER GRIP X2

HYPERS X3 WEIGHTED

TRAPS..185/225'NO STRAPS X12,,275/295 STRAPPED 10/10..225X15 STRAPPED

ABS 4 SETS 30 LYING CRUNCH MACHINE

TREADMILL

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1542 on: April 07, 2016, 12:56:15 PM »
Tuesday's workout didn't happen. I forgot to go to bed until 3:00 a.m. Tuesday morning.  ::) Needless to say, I was tired most of Tuesday. So, Tuesday's hammy workout became Wednesday's hammy workout, which went well. Instead of working abs at the end of my routine, I did 15 minutes of cardio. It felt good.

My abs are tight and solid. There is a little flab on my lower back. I suspect doing cardio will help get rid of this than ab work will. Probably nothing will tighten the loose skin on my belly at this point other than surgery.  :'(

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1543 on: April 07, 2016, 04:19:29 PM »
Cardio:

8 x 220 yard repeats.  Hit the bag for two rounds. In my younger days I had a few amateur fights in the ring. No, I never was a contender. LOL.  Wacking the bag now I think I can still fight sometimes but I know the truth. If I got in the ring with a young fighter I would no longer have my good looks.  ;D  I have no delusion that I would have the defense or reaction time that it would take.  At least I have a good workout slamming the bag.  When someone compliments me saying something like you're fast or that I hit the bag hard I know the truth.  A young buck fighter would beat the hell out of me. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1544 on: April 07, 2016, 06:08:49 PM »
Almost quit the gym for today because I didn't feel like going. Glad I went though when all is said and done. I lightened up on the weights because the last few times I've worked my back, it has been sore for almost a week. Like with yesterday's workout, I did cardio, which I upped to 20 minutes. It was an excellent finish to what turned out to be a really good workout.

I'm on for dinner tonight I'm fixing artichoke and spinach quiche made with egg whites from Costco accompanied by a green salad. Sounds really healthy, doesn't it? I'll have haagen dazs coffee ice cream later just to keep my cholesterol up.  :D

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1545 on: April 08, 2016, 04:00:47 AM »
Almost quit the gym for today because I didn't feel like going. Glad I went though when all is said and done. I lightened up on the weights because the last few times I've worked my back, it has been sore for almost a week. Like with yesterday's workout, I did cardio, which I upped to 20 minutes. It was an excellent finish to what turned out to be a really good workout.

I'm on for dinner tonight I'm fixing artichoke and spinach quiche made with egg whites from Costco accompanied by a green salad. Sounds really healthy, doesn't it? I'll have haagen dazs coffee ice cream later just to keep my cholesterol up.  :D

Why do you use egg whites? It seems there are so many studies out there that egg yokes do not raise cholesterol. 

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1546 on: April 08, 2016, 06:54:52 AM »
Why do you use egg whites? It seems there are so many studies out there that egg yokes do not raise cholesterol. 
Just eaten a big bowl of spagetti.. i feel like a prize Hog  ;D Training wise i trained early this morning full body and a cycle for cardio. I was really hungry later on. I used "power" leg extensions ala Gironda style in my workout, lying leg curls and Barbell Hack squats for legs.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1547 on: April 08, 2016, 07:01:42 AM »
Back and Chest day:

Pull ups 3 x max
Seated V handle lat long pulls 2 x 12 170lbs
Dumbbell row off bench 2 x 10 80lbs (all the way down and up)
Hammer strength pull downs 2 x 10

Incline dumbbell bench 2 x 8 (all the way down)
machine flies 2 x 10
Hammer strength inclines 2 x 10
Push ups 2 x max

deadlifts 2 x 4 300lbs 1  x 1 330lbs (off the floor not raised)
weighted hypers 2 x 15 25lbs plate behind head

ab coaster 2 x 29 40lbs
seated ab crunch 2 x 20

Gym observations:

A young power lifter complimented me. He said I was deadlifting a good weight at the end of my workout for my age. I guess with my head of grey hair he is amazed I'm walking.  ;D

Private personal training is not allowed in the gym.  All the private trainers know what time the owner shows up and they rearrange their schedule around it. I know he would kick them out but his workers that are there couldn't care less about it.

You know you are getting old when you are checking out a guy's mother working out. Hell, she is younger than me.  

I think yelp,moan and groan man on the elliptical must have been spoken too.  He didn't have ear buds today and he was quiet. I like hearing the crazy noises coming out of him. Makes me laugh.  

I was lifting weight today thinking this is one of the stupidest activities on earth. Sometimes I think I would be healthier, more lean and better off joint wise if I just did body weight exercises and running.  Seen many guys that only do that who look amazing. Maybe not in the steroid water retained muscle look but ripped dense physique that can kick ass.  

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1548 on: April 08, 2016, 07:09:38 AM »
Back and Chest day:

Pull ups 3 x max
Seated V handle lat long pulls 2 x 12 170lbs
Dumbbell row off bench 2 x 10 80lbs (all the way down and up)
Hammer strength pull downs 2 x 10

Incline dumbbell bench 2 x 8 (all the way down)
machine flies 2 x 10
Hammer strength inclines 2 x 10
Push ups 2 x max

deadlifts 2 x 4 300lbs 1  x 1 330lbs (off the floor not raised)
weighted hypers 2 x 15 25lbs plate behind head

ab coaster 2 x 29 40lbs
seated ab crunch 2 x 20

Gym observations:

A young power lifter complimented me. He said I was deadlifting a good weight at the end of my workout for my age. I guess with my head of grey hair he is amazed I'm walking.  ;D

Private personal training is not allowed in the gym.  All the private trainers know what time the owner shows up and they rearrange their schedule around it. I know he would kick them out but his workers that are there couldn't care less about it.

You know you are getting old when you are checking out a guy's mother working out. Hell, she is younger than me.  

I think yelp,moan and groan man on the elliptical must have been spoken too.  He didn't have ear buds today and he was quiet. I like hearing the crazy noises coming out of him. Makes me laugh.  

I was lifting weight today thinking this is one of the stupidest activities on earth. Sometimes I think I would be healthier, more lean and better off joint wise if I just did body weight exercises and running.  Seen many guys that only do that who look amazing. Maybe not in the steroid water retained muscle look but ripped dense physique that can kick ass.  

yes nothing wrong with Bodyweight training..

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1549 on: April 08, 2016, 01:28:26 PM »

If I were making the quiche from scratch, I would use whole eggs like the recipe I use calls for. The recipe also calls for cream, since it is basically a custard with additions and poured into a pie shell.  This was a pre-made Costco quiche. I didn't notice it was yoke free until I went to cook it. It tasted okay and it was easy to fix.