Author Topic: Increased gun control in the future? 2nd amendment repeal?  (Read 7495 times)

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
Increased gun control in the future? 2nd amendment repeal?
« on: February 16, 2008, 12:02:38 PM »

The breaking point for a lot of parents has got to be near. 

Wonder what the legislation will look like?  And how do you enforce it?  Everybody I know owns multiple guns.

Seems like there is a link between mental illness and these shootings.  Maybe that's a place to start.  Still will be difficult though. 

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
Re: Increased gun control in the future? 2nd amendment repeal?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 12:22:02 PM »
Seems like there is a link between mental illness and these shootings.

That and prescription drugs it seems.

Guns aren't the problem.

S

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 12:23:37 PM »

Wonder what the legislation will look like?  And how do you enforce it?  Everybody I know owns multiple guns.

Seems like there is a link between mental illness and these shootings.  Maybe that's a place to start.  Still will be difficult though. 

You think, Einstein?  ;D

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 12:25:59 PM »
You think, Einstein?  ;D

I sure as hell hope you don't own any guns.  :-X

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 12:30:08 PM »
My uncle gave me a pistol for my Birthday when I was 14.  8)
S

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 12:40:40 PM »

I got a 410 on my 10th birthday.  My grandfather wanted to give it to me even earlier, but my mom said she would destroy the gun and never allow him in the house again. 

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 12:42:49 PM »
I own a love gun.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 12:46:56 PM »
but my mom said she would destroy the gun and never allow him in the house again. 

lol sounds like my mom.  ;D

S

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 01:10:58 PM »
Who cares about failed parents with lunatic kids.  :)

stormshadow

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2008, 01:28:26 PM »

Seems to me that damn near everyone is on some type of pill for anxiety or depression, etc.

We keep masking the symptoms, instead of addressing the real issue - and that is the way we live in modern society.

Somehow I see growing up on a farm, growing your own food, raising animals, working the land as very hard work - but also a life that is rewarding and filled with purpose, where everyone in the family does a job.

Compare that to today where the average child can cruise through school, eat pre-made food, and the extent of laboring for survival involves taking out the trash.  Everything else revolves around recreation (sports, TV, video games, etc.)

I know that as a human being I want things to be easy (with my business, with my day job, with everything), but I notice that the struggles are what give me purpose.

If you like the movie the Matrix, they say how "entire crops were lost" when the human world was free from pain and suffering.

Maybe life is just too easy in modern times, and this is how nature fights to achieve equilibrium.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2008, 01:29:34 PM »

definitly i think what most people dont see are the little arbitrary gun bans that are passed like the last one that didnt do much banned flash hiders, pistol grips, bayonet lugs, etc.... doesnt really do much but it does set ground work for future bans, so even those need to be thought through and voted against if thats what you deem necessary, dont just sit there and do nothing b/c before you know it we will be criminals for having guns...guns are not the problem

stormshadow

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2008, 01:34:46 PM »
definitly i think what most people dont see are the little arbitrary gun bans that are passed like the last one that didnt do much banned flash hiders, pistol grips, bayonet lugs, etc.... doesnt really do much but it does set ground work for future bans, so even those need to be thought through and voted against if thats what you deem necessary, dont just sit there and do nothing b/c before you know it we will be criminals for having guns...guns are not the problem

Exactly.  The camel gets its nose under the tent, before it moves in with the rest of its body.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2008, 01:43:14 PM »
Seems to me that damn near everyone is on some type of pill for anxiety or depression, etc.

We keep masking the symptoms, instead of addressing the real issue - and that is the way we live in modern society.

Somehow I see growing up on a farm, growing your own food, raising animals, working the land as very hard work - but also a life that is rewarding and filled with purpose, where everyone in the family does a job.

Compare that to today where the average child can cruise through school, eat pre-made food, and the extent of laboring for survival involves taking out the trash.  Everything else revolves around recreation (sports, TV, video games, etc.)

I know that as a human being I want things to be easy (with my business, with my day job, with everything), but I notice that the struggles are what give me purpose.

If you like the movie the Matrix, they say how "entire crops were lost" when the human world was free from pain and suffering.

Maybe life is just too easy in modern times, and this is how nature fights to achieve equilibrium.

I agree that we are getting "soft" but how does that tie into mass shootings? I'm just trying to get the connection.

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2008, 01:47:51 PM »
I agree that we are getting "soft" but how does that tie into mass shootings? I'm just trying to get the connection.

there is no value for life.

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2008, 02:13:52 PM »
What stormshadow is referring to is that there is some kind of alienation in society, because man cannot see the "fruits of his labor" any more.  This alienation leads to people going nuts/postal.  Quite an old idea, it was actually something that Marx wrote about.

From Wikipedia:

Marx's theory of alienation (Entfremdung in German), as expressed in the writings of young Karl Marx, refers to the separation of things that naturally belong together, or to antagonism between things that are properly in harmony. In the concept's most important use, it refers to the alienation of people from aspects of their "human nature" (Gattungswesen, usually translated as 'species-essence' or 'species-being'). He believed that alienation is a systematic result of capitalism.

Marx's Theory of Alienation is based upon his observation that, in emerging industrial production - under capitalism - workers inevitably lose control of their lives and selves in not having any control of their work. Workers, thus, never become autonomous, self-realized human beings in any significant sense (except the way the bourgeois wants the worker to be realized).

There is some truth to this.

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2008, 03:53:22 PM »
What stormshadow is referring to is that there is some kind of alienation in society, because man cannot see the "fruits of his labor" any more.  This alienation leads to people going nuts/postal.  Quite an old idea, it was actually something that Marx wrote about.

From Wikipedia:

Marx's theory of alienation (Entfremdung in German), as expressed in the writings of young Karl Marx, refers to the separation of things that naturally belong together, or to antagonism between things that are properly in harmony. In the concept's most important use,.

Marx's Theory of Alienation is based upon his observation that, in emerging industrial production - under capitalism - workers inevitably lose control of their lives and selves in not having any control of their work. Workers, thus, never become autonomous, self-realized human beings in any significant sense (except the way the bourgeois wants the worker to be realized).

There is some truth to this.

it refers to the alienation of people from aspects of their "human nature" (Gattungswesen, usually translated as 'species-essence' or 'species-being'). He believed that alienation is a systematic result of capitalism.

Damn.  Marx hit a bullseye on that one.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2008, 07:49:40 PM »
Die Amis und ihre Gewehre; one day it will be the death of them all.
I hate the State.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2008, 08:52:49 PM »
Die Amis und ihre Gewehre; one day it will be the death of them all.
lol dont worry if we go, europe is next

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2008, 09:37:18 PM »
i watch the news all day, most days.

the 5 shootings this week weren't a really big story.

perhaps the media (msnbc and cnn) are learning not to feed the attention whore nature of the idiot shooters.  the one in n. illionois got some coverage on friday, but was very small considering how big an event it was. 

there will never be a concerted effort to ban guns.  There was in the late 90s after columbine and it didn't stick - some ppl lost their political fortune bettering on the gun ban train.  You know why?  Because most issues - the war, abortion, gay marriage - don't affect us much.  Some issues - the economy, illegal immigration, affect our wallet a bit.

But issues like health care, and guns (being able to protect your loved ones), mean the most to people.  And after 9/11, gun banning lost any traction. 

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2008, 10:10:59 PM »

yeah - look they're not all living on farms in Europe but they don't seem to have a problem with mass shootings.

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2008, 01:29:30 AM »
yeah - look they're not all living on farms in Europe but they don't seem to have a problem with mass shootings.

yeah - they just try to batter each other to death after soccer games.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2008, 03:01:55 AM »
"Guns don't kill, people do" ::)
As empty as paradise

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2008, 03:06:36 AM »
i watch the news all day, most days.

the 5 shootings this week weren't a really big story.

perhaps the media (msnbc and cnn) are learning not to feed the attention whore nature of the idiot shooters.  the one in n. illionois got some coverage on friday, but was very small considering how big an event it was. 

there will never be a concerted effort to ban guns.  There was in the late 90s after columbine and it didn't stick - some ppl lost their political fortune bettering on the gun ban train.  You know why?  Because most issues - the war, abortion, gay marriage - don't affect us much.  Some issues - the economy, illegal immigration, affect our wallet a bit.

But issues like health care, and guns (being able to protect your loved ones), mean the most to people.  And after 9/11, gun banning lost any traction. 

May you guys shoot yourselves to kingdom come!
I hate the State.

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2008, 03:34:58 AM »
and guns (being able to protect your loved ones), mean the most to people. 

Where do you live? Downtown Detroit?

I've never thought of "protecting" anybody or anything with my guns.  I have a SIG P220 somewhere around here, but I can't even remember the last time I used it. 

I enjoy shooting, hunting or target, but I'm sure I could find other hobbies.   

Real reason most people don't want to give up their guns is that they don't like being told what to do by the government. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2008, 04:43:52 AM »
Where do you live? Downtown Detroit?

I've never thought of "protecting" anybody or anything with my guns.  I have a SIG P220 somewhere around here, but I can't even remember the last time I used it. 

I enjoy shooting, hunting or target, but I'm sure I could find other hobbies.   

Real reason most people don't want to give up their guns is that they don't like being told what to do by the government. 

In SW Florida, there have been a string of home invasions in the last 6 months.  Teams of 2-3 men in ski masks kick down door in dead of night and tie people up.  Several of the people have been shot, even while cooperating.  The police do zero good, because when you're awoken with someone kicking in your bedroom window, you have about 3 seconds to react.  Finding your cell and dialing 911 isn't usually possible.  Picking up your glock and putting 15 rounds into whatever is kicking in your bedroom window - not 100% foolproof but it sure does help even the odds a bit.

I've carried a gun for 11 years now.  Every day.  It's just another tool.  I've had flat tires in the middle of night on interstate, been accosted by bad people before.  Never pointed not revealed it.  But it's there should I ever find myself in a place where someone intends to harm me.