Getbig.com: American Bodybuilding, Fitness and Figure

Getbig Main Boards => Gossip & Opinions => Topic started by: ProudVirgin69 on August 10, 2026, 01:38:37 PM

Title: 35lb plates - useful or waste of resources?
Post by: ProudVirgin69 on August 10, 2026, 01:38:37 PM
I don’t see the need for them, frankly.  They just clog up the weight racks and siphon resources that could have been spent on other equipment.  Seems like they were invented just to sell more plates to commercial gyms.

Title: Re: 35lb plates - useful or waste of resources?
Post by: IroNat on August 10, 2026, 02:25:52 PM
I don’t see the need for them, frankly.  They just clog up the weight racks and siphon resources that could have been spent on other equipment.  Seems like they were invented just to sell more plates to commercial gyms.



Yep, not used much by me.  I have 4 of them.
Title: Re: 35lb plates - useful or waste of resources?
Post by: Royalty on August 10, 2026, 02:30:13 PM
I don’t see the need for them, frankly.  They just clog up the weight racks and siphon resources that could have been spent on other equipment.  Seems like they were invented just to sell more plates to commercial gyms.

Didn’t Wiggs already do this thread?

Yes!

But what the hell, let’s discuss it all over again, because it’s so damn exciting. 
Title: Re: 35lb plates - useful or waste of resources?
Post by: Royalty on August 10, 2026, 02:36:42 PM
Yep, not used much by me.  I have 4 of them.

Please stop wasting resources !!!

Title: Re: 35lb plates - useful or waste of resources?
Post by: NaturalWonder83 on August 10, 2026, 02:46:02 PM
Gyms need more 100lb plates!
Title: Re: 35lb plates - useful or waste of resources?
Post by: deadz on August 10, 2026, 02:52:23 PM
Haven't seen them in my current gym.
Title: Re: 35lb plates - useful or waste of resources?
Post by: IroNat on August 10, 2026, 03:11:25 PM
Please stop wasting resources !!!



Royalty, I'm going to melt them down and make 3 lb standard plates out of them.
Title: Re: 35lb plates - useful or waste of resources?
Post by: Van_Bilderass on August 10, 2026, 03:20:55 PM
I only use wheels, plates and biscuits

I wonder how many Getbiggers could lift these 50kg (110lbs) plates with one hand. I managed a 30 second hold many years ago, no way could I budge it off the ground now.
Title: Re: 35lb plates - useful or waste of resources?
Post by: Royalty on August 10, 2026, 03:22:46 PM
Royalty, I'm going to melt them down and make 3 lb standard plates out of them.

Good. Then you can put 33 of the 3 LB plates on each side of the bar, while NaturaWonder83 is showing off with the 100 LB plates. You’ll be flying under the radar because nobody will detect that you guys are using almost the same amount of weight.

Likewise, nobody will expect you to win the overall at the 2026 NPC Nationals (but I will)
Title: Re: 35lb plates - useful or waste of resources?
Post by: Van_Bilderass on August 10, 2026, 03:37:55 PM
Years back I remember some coaches said to purchase small magnet weights so you could do small micro increases in load each workout :D
Title: Re: 35lb plates - useful or waste of resources?
Post by: Rambone on August 10, 2026, 04:06:07 PM
Don’t own any and don’t look for them at the gym. I like having the least amount of plates necessary, but it’s not worth the scavenger hunt
Title: Re: 35lb plates - useful or waste of resources?
Post by: BB on August 10, 2026, 08:23:29 PM
I like them, I use #35s, I mix kilos and pounds, etc.... I like being able to make different combinations/weight totals without finding small plates or having to add extra ones.
Title: Re: 35lb plates - useful or waste of resources?
Post by: Dave D on August 10, 2026, 10:03:21 PM
The (former) university of Michigan strength coach once told me 35 pound plates were a complete waste of a plate. I had never really thought of it and asked why and he said ,” they serve zero purpose. If you want to go up 35 pounds grab a 25 and 10.”

From that time on I have hated 35 pound plates (not that I had ever really used them).
Title: Re: 35lb plates - useful or waste of resources?
Post by: Beefjake on August 10, 2026, 10:09:28 PM
I only use wheels, plates and biscuits

I wonder how many Getbiggers could lift these 50kg (110lbs) plates with one hand. I managed a 30 second hold many years ago, no way could I budge it off the ground now.

My gym had a pair of rubbercoated 50kgs. Once somebody loaded them on the leg press and they stayed there for a long time 😄
Title: Re: 35lb plates - useful or waste of resources?
Post by: NaturalWonder83 on August 11, 2026, 12:54:21 AM

I only use wheels, plates and biscuits

I wonder how many Getbiggers could lift these 50kg (110lbs) plates with one hand. I managed a 30 second hold many years ago, no way could I budge it off the ground now.
How about pinch gripping them, or doing the 1 handed flip/catch or bottoms-up press with them?
Good. Then you can put 33 of the 3 LB plates on each side of the bar, while NaturaWonder83 is showing off with the 100 LB plates. You’ll be flying under the radar because nobody will detect that you guys are using almost the same amount of weight.

Likewise, nobody will expect you to win the overall at the 2026 NPC Nationals (but I will)
World Gym years ago had them and I only ever used them on the leg press!
Title: Re: 35lb plates - useful or waste of resources?
Post by: Donny on August 11, 2026, 02:24:31 AM
The (former) university of Michigan strength coach once told me 35 pound plates were a complete waste of a plate. I had never really thought of it and asked why and he said ,” they serve zero purpose. If you want to go up 35 pounds grab a 25 and 10.”

From that time on I have hated 35 pound plates (not that I had ever really used them).
so 4 plates instead of 2 on the Bar ..make sense  ::)
Title: Re: 35lb plates - useful or waste of resources?
Post by: Dave D on August 11, 2026, 03:35:15 AM
so 4 plates instead of 2 on the Bar ..make sense  ::)

Donny this is a question about weightlifting and exercise. As this is an area you don’t participate in please refrain from commenting.
Title: Re: 35lb plates - useful or waste of resources?
Post by: Donny on August 11, 2026, 03:40:02 AM
Donny this is a question about weightlifting and exercise. As this is an area you don’t participate in please refrain from commenting.
no, you´re just thick as shit bro  :D
Title: Re: 35lb plates - useful or waste of resources?
Post by: Hulkotron on August 11, 2026, 03:59:04 AM
Weights are easier to control the closer they are to where you're handling the weight (e.g. try to curl a 45-lb barbell vs. a 45-lb dumbbell; DB is much easier).  So I guess from that perspective, if you want to do something like bench 205 lbs, this should be marginally easier with 45+35 vs. with 45+25+10.

That's all I've got.
Title: Re: 35lb plates - useful or waste of resources?
Post by: Van_Bilderass on August 11, 2026, 04:47:13 AM
Loading plates is the least favorite part of my workout. Embarrassed to say I've skipped exercises like a bitch because I hate it so much. Or I just make 90lbs jumps because I don't want to load more smaller increments.

My gym had a pair of rubbercoated 50kgs. Once somebody loaded them on the leg press and they stayed there for a long time 😄

I know what you mean. These are so slippery, gotta mind the toes when handling them. If it's lying on the floor it's a bitch just to get it standing up.
Title: Re: 35lb plates - useful or waste of resources?
Post by: funk51 on August 11, 2026, 04:48:52 AM
Yep, not used much by me.  I have 4 of them.
   probably a waste, that being said I have 4 of them too. 2 yorkies and 2 standard. ::) I have 2 --100 lb plates don't use these much these days either. :'(
Title: Re: 35lb plates - useful or waste of resources?
Post by: Rambone on August 11, 2026, 04:55:15 AM
I like them, I use #35s, I mix kilos and pounds, etc.... I like being able to make different combinations/weight totals without finding small plates or having to add extra ones.

Ah, yes. The metric system muscle confusion principles……
Title: Re: 35lb plates - useful or waste of resources?
Post by: Royalty on August 11, 2026, 04:55:35 AM
   probably a waste, that being said I have 4 of them too. 2 yorkies and 2 standard. ::) I have 2 --100 lb plates don't use these much these days either. :'(

FUNK51, ND posted this picture yesterday. Do you recognize those deep dish plates?
Title: Re: 35lb plates - useful or waste of resources?
Post by: Royalty on August 11, 2026, 05:01:58 AM
The (former) university of Michigan strength coach once told me 35 pound plates were a complete waste of a plate. I had never really thought of it and asked why and he said ,” they serve zero purpose. If you want to go up 35 pounds grab a 25 and 10.”

From that time on I have hated 35 pound plates (not that I had ever really used them).

Dave a 35 LB plate is worthwhile if you can do weighted pull-ups or weighted dips.
Title: Re: 35lb plates - useful or waste of resources?
Post by: BB on August 11, 2026, 05:49:14 AM
Ah, yes. The metric system muscle confusion principles……

;D.

FUNK51, ND posted this picture yesterday. Do you recognize those deep dish plates?

AFS / Advanced Freeweight Systems. They were (are?) a high end fitness dealer in the 90's mostly. I remember saving up a few hundred dollars, and having my mom call to see if she could order me a weight set from them, and getting sticker shock because it was 3-4x the cost of the common sporting goods stuff at the time. Nice people, they used to run ads in MM2k a lot.
Title: Re: 35lb plates - useful or waste of resources?
Post by: funk51 on August 11, 2026, 05:55:59 AM
no idea , could be a non- american plate. there are a few letters underneath possibly TDS or DPS but not sure ???
Title: Re: 35lb plates - useful or waste of resources?
Post by: Gym Rat on August 11, 2026, 07:58:10 AM
Weight is weight. People these days are morons, it started online with ghey "influencers" not liking 35's.
Of course they have zero muscle on their body. I have 6 York milled 35's and they are fine for 'whatever'.
Belt sq, Smith stuff, dip belt (or whatever).

"Hahhhh... GHEY!!!!!!!!!!!"  ::)
Title: Re: 35lb plates - useful or waste of resources?
Post by: Royalty on August 11, 2026, 08:12:54 AM
Weight is weight. People these days are morons, it started online with ghey "influencers" not liking 35's.
Of course they have zero muscle on their body. I have 6 York milled 35's and they are fine for 'whatever'.
Belt sq, Smith stuff, dip belt (or whatever).

"Hahhhh... GHEY!!!!!!!!!!!"  ::)

The 35’s are also great for neck work.

6 milled 35’s by YORK will actually increase in value over time. So you can make a profit if you ever decide to sell them.
Title: Re: 35lb plates - useful or waste of resources?
Post by: Dave D on August 11, 2026, 09:52:12 AM
Dave a 35 LB plate is worthwhile if you can do weighted pull-ups or weighted dips.

I like the way you think Royalty! Now I’m thinking 35s aren’t bad.
Title: Re: 35lb plates - useful or waste of resources?
Post by: NaturalWonder83 on August 11, 2026, 10:11:17 AM
35s are fine and make people think you are lifting 45s on the barbell if they're gym rookies or just don't look carefully.

Using kilos only sounds interesting but in reality it's confusing and no one understands kilos converted to pounds. Metric system is not appreciated or wanted.
Title: Re: 35lb plates - useful or waste of resources?
Post by: GymnJuice on August 11, 2026, 10:39:51 AM
Ah, yes. The metric system muscle confusion principles……

 ;D

Muscle confusion is real! My muscles get confused even when the weight stays exactly the same. Sometimes I load a single 45 lb plate. Sometimes I use a 35 and a 10. This keeps my muscles guessing. And when I’m feeling extra spicy I flip the plate so the numbers face inward. That’s advanced level confusion right there.
Title: Re: 35lb plates - useful or waste of resources?
Post by: chaos on August 11, 2026, 10:52:01 AM
Didn’t Wiggs already do this thread?

Yes!

But what the hell, let’s discuss it all over again, because it’s so damn exciting.
Bro...
Title: Re: 35lb plates - useful or waste of resources?
Post by: Van_Bilderass on August 11, 2026, 11:18:19 AM
;D

Muscle confusion is real! My muscles get confused even when the weight stays exactly the same. Sometimes I load a single 45 lb plate. Sometimes I use a 35 and a 10. This keeps my muscles guessing. And when I’m feeling extra spicy I flip the plate so the numbers face inward. That’s advanced level confusion right there.

Can you put 45 on one side and a 35 and 10 on the other and screw the slight imbalance, or too neurotic for that? :D

Powerlifters in my gym are so neurotic they can't put a yellow Eleiko 5kg on one side and an identical white painted one on the other.
Title: Re: 35lb plates - useful or waste of resources?
Post by: B_B_C on August 11, 2026, 11:35:02 AM


Powerlifters in my gym are so neurotic they can't put a yellow Eleiko 5kg on one side and an identical white painted one on the other.


proving that there is only a few sweat drops between gay and bodybuilding
Title: Re: 35lb plates - useful or waste of resources?
Post by: Gym Rat on August 11, 2026, 11:41:05 AM
The 35’s are also great for neck work.

6 milled 35’s by YORK will actually increase in value over time. So you can make a profit if you ever decide to sell them.

I just sold 10 milled 45's from the 70's. I don't care about making money off of weights (I just wanted to move them as I had WAY too many from decades of collecting and building my gym) and tired of just storing things.
I sold them for $1.00 a lb just like any old "Fitness Gear" or "Champion" plate out there on Marketplace.

Really pissed off some local collectors (who reached out) when I told them some jabroni's just bought most of them because they just needed weights.
They didnt care what brand they were or knew anything about vintage iron. Again, I just wanted them gone...
Title: Re: 35lb plates - useful or waste of resources?
Post by: Grape Ape on August 11, 2026, 12:12:29 PM
I find them perfect for when I need to add 70lbs to the bar.
Title: Re: 35lb plates - useful or waste of resources?
Post by: IroNat on August 11, 2026, 01:10:47 PM
I just sold 10 milled 45's from the 70's. I don't care about making money off of weights (I just wanted to move them as I had WAY too many from decades of collecting and building my gym) and tired of just storing things.
I sold them for $1.00 a lb just like any old "Fitness Gear" or "Champion" plate out there on Marketplace.

Really pissed off some local collectors (who reached out) when I told them some jabroni's just bought most of them because they just needed weights.
They didnt care what brand they were or knew anything about vintage iron. Again, I just wanted them gone...

Sacrilege.

What happens if those jabronis actually use those plates and not just display them on a stand?
They might get scratched!
Title: Re: 35lb plates - useful or waste of resources?
Post by: GymnJuice on August 11, 2026, 04:12:47 PM
Can you put 45 on one side and a 35 and 10 on the other and screw the slight imbalance, or too neurotic for that? :D

Powerlifters in my gym are so neurotic they can't put a yellow Eleiko 5kg on one side and an identical white painted one on the other.

Asymmetrical numbers remain beyond my comprehension. I'll need more muscle memory before I can handle that level of muscle confusion.
Title: Re: 35lb plates - useful or waste of resources?
Post by: AbrahamG on August 11, 2026, 09:02:42 PM
no, you´re just thick as shit bro  :D

Did Dave send you a COCK pic too?
Title: Re: 35lb plates - useful or waste of resources?
Post by: Royalty on August 12, 2026, 04:57:19 AM
ProudPussy77 posted this thread and then completely checked out. 
Title: Re: 35lb plates - useful or waste of resources?
Post by: Donny on August 12, 2026, 05:01:31 AM
Did Dave send you a COCK pic too?
NO..is it a micro penis?  :D
Title: Re: 35lb plates - useful or waste of resources?
Post by: Beefjake on August 12, 2026, 06:44:22 AM
Powerlifters in my gym are so neurotic they can't put a yellow Eleiko 5kg on one side and an identical white painted one on the other.
Now sir Van. After this, I am wondering do you even lift? 😉😁

If the rubberplate coating is black, it is ok if the metal is different colour.
Today.
15years ago it wasn’t.
Title: Re: 35lb plates - useful or waste of resources?
Post by: Humble Narcissist on August 12, 2026, 06:45:35 AM
I find them perfect for when I need to add 70lbs to the bar.
Wouldn't a 45, two 10's and a 5 be better? Or just be a real man and throw two 45's on there.