Author Topic: Who likes diamonds  (Read 4951 times)

smaul

• Getbig IV
  • Lets build some hurting bombs!
Who likes diamonds
« on: October 10, 2006, 07:56:27 AM »
I work in diamonds and I have always wondered how many women really like them and why. Is it because they are pretty?, the sentimental value?, the reason why you get given them  :D

Speak on this please ladies!
It hasn't helped...

Original Sin

• Getbig IV
  • You fucking disappoint me!
Re: Who likes diamonds
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 08:39:52 AM »
I LOVE diamonds.  I love they way they look and love the way they make me feel.
Now it more then likely boils done to fantastic marketing and controls with the diamond cartel on why diamonds are so special.  Or it goes down to the female cattiness,  we dress more for the other women then anybody else, don't believe anybody if they tell you otherwise.

Now I have a question for the men here.  I have been given two diamond rings as engagement rings.  I said no both times to each guy and offered numerous times to return the rings but they both have told me to keep them.  Why would you do that?  One of the bloody things is a 2 carat solitaire.  :-\
Just Bad Bad Blood!

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 08:50:26 AM »
I LOVE diamonds.  I love they way they look and love the way they make me feel.
Now it more then likely boils done to fantastic marketing and controls with the diamond cartel on why diamonds are so special.  Or it goes down to the female cattiness,  we dress more for the other women then anybody else, don't believe anybody if they tell you otherwise.

Now I have a question for the men here.  I have been given two diamond rings as engagement rings.  I said no both times to each guy and offered numerous times to return the rings but they both have told me to keep them.  Why would you do that?  One of the bloody things is a 2 carat solitaire.  :-\
Give it back Sin, if you are not going to marry him then it is not right for you to keep the ring. Careful that these people are not trying to control you by buying you expensive diamonds. Things get worse.
PB

Original Sin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 09:16:39 AM »
I have tried giving them back numerous times.  One of the gentlemen I haven't seen in years now and the other we are still friends but I got tired of trying to give it back because he just won't take it.  So now I use both of them as dinner rings.  It seems like a shame to put them in a safe somewhere.
Just Bad Bad Blood!

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 09:31:55 AM »
never was big on them
X

YoMamaBeenLurking

• Getbig IV
  • The Black Knight
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 09:32:56 AM »
I have tried giving them back numerous times.  One of the gentlemen I haven't seen in years now and the other we are still friends but I got tired of trying to give it back because he just won't take it.  So now I use both of them as dinner rings.  It seems like a shame to put them in a safe somewhere.

Trying to give them back is a lot different then giving them back.  Pack them into a box and ship them off with a nice letter...That's giving them back.
BKS - Guardian of Truth

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 09:54:03 AM »
I hear you. But I would still get rid of them. Say one day these so-called gentlemen come looking for you and the rings??? Do you really want turmoil in your life? I would either hand give it to them or have them purolated back to the rightfull owners. It'll be off your mind and you'll be able to move on. Do you really want to meet a potential mate and have it ruined by people from the past or if they see the rings on your finger? A guy knows what an engagement ring looks like. I would lose them, Sin. If they insist on you keeping the rings then they need to learn. Give them back anyway. Just my two pennies...  :)

PB

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 11:26:59 AM »
I love them, obviously, but...

I've never understood.  Plus I've always turned them down.  I simply do not comprehend how come a little glittery stone is worth so much more than>>> water, or

>>>food, for instance, in S. Africa.  Or clean air.

I find it upsetting...  Does my head in really.

Mind you I haven't got 3 carats in the bank.  If I did, I'd sell now. 

Material things!!!

zircons and rhinestones instead for me.
But I do love crystals

xL

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 11:38:15 AM »
Diamonds Are A Girls Best Friend

(I've posted this before but it's worth re-reading?

The French were bred to die for love
they delight in fighting duels
but I prefer a man who lives
and gives expensive jewels.
A kiss on the hand may be quite continental
but diamonds are a girl's best friend.
A kiss may be grand but it won't pay the rental
on your humble flat, or help you at the automat.
Men grow cold as girls grow old
and we all lose our charms in the end.
But square-cut or pear-shaped
these rocks don't lose their shape
Diamonds are a girl's best friend
...Tiffany's ... Cartier...
Talk to me, Harry, Winston,tell me all about it!
There may come a time when a lass needs a lawyer
but diamonds are a girl's best friend.
There may come a time when a hard-boiled employer
thinks you're awful nice
but get that ice or else no dice.
He's your guy when stocks are high
but beware when they start to descend,
It's then that those louses go back to their spouses
Diamonds are a girl's best friend.
I've heard of affairs that are strictly platonic
but diamonds are a girl's best friend,
and I think affairs that you must keep liaisonic
are better bets if little pets get big bag gifts.
Time rolls on and youth is gone
and you can't straighten up when you bend
but stiff back or stiff knees
you stand straight at Tiffany's
Diamonds... Diamonds...
- I don't mean rock salt -
but Diamonds, Are A Girl's Best Friends

* diamond.jpg (15.96 KB, 416x427 - viewed 338 times.)

Original Sin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 01:17:35 PM »
Trying to give them back is a lot different then giving them back.  Pack them into a box and ship them off with a nice letter...That's giving them back.

I'm not that shallow, I have physically put the rings in their hands and then closed it and asked them to take it back.
They both refused.  There comes a time when you stop being nice and become insulting if you pursue the issue.

I still would like to know why they wouldn't accept the rings back.  I know I am not the only woman in the world who has gone through this, any insight would help stem the curiosity factor.
Just Bad Bad Blood!

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2006, 02:10:20 PM »
Hi, sorry to be cynical, but...

what will you do the 3rd time

like, this time the right man gives you the right diamond?

will you marry him ?
or what...

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2006, 03:41:01 PM »
I hear you. But I would still get rid of them. Say one day these so-called gentlemen come looking for you and the rings??? Do you really want turmoil in your life? I would either hand give it to them or have them purolated back to the rightfull owners. It'll be off your mind and you'll be able to move on. Do you really want to meet a potential mate and have it ruined by people from the past or if they see the rings on your finger? A guy knows what an engagement ring looks like. I would lose them, Sin. If they insist on you keeping the rings then they need to learn. Give them back anyway. Just my two pennies...  :)

PB

This totally cracks me up. Give them back to their rightful owner. I would say the rightful owner already has them.

The rings were given to her, ...therefore, she is the rightful owner.

I say in this instance, she should follow the Zsa Zsa Gabor rule when it comes to these things.
Zsa Zsa was once asked advice about this exact scenario. Zsa Zsa replied:
"But of course you must give him back da ring, ...but dahlink, make sure you keepa da stone."

I like diamonds as well. When I was younger (read: stupid teen), it had more to do with the great marketing by the DeBoer cartel than anything else. I thought a diamond really was forever, and that a guy just didn't love you if he didn't give you a diamond.  ::)  As I got older, and thankfully wiser, i realized there were more tangible and far more accurate ways to assess or demonstrate love, ...and the ability to gift you with a sizeable diamond just wasn't it.

Now I like diamonds, not because of what I think they represent, but because of what they do represent... lumps of carbon that metamorphised into beautiful sparkly things, that when fully faceted can capture & refract light unlike anything else. Most things (people included) are crushed and destroyed when you turn up the heat, ...but not a diamond. A diamond was a piece of carbon that didn't quit. It stuck to the job, and despite extreme heat and pressure didn't get crushed, ...instead, it came out on the winning end, using the heat & pressure to transformed itself into a remarkably beautiful thing. It's a great metaphor for how we should meet life.

Plus, I like diamonds for some of their physical properties as well as their ability to facilitate and/or enhance organic receptors in human beings. Plus, they hold their value very well, and are extremely portable liquidatable forms of currency.
w

muscleforlife

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2006, 04:05:25 PM »
Diamonds are my birthstone.  I do love the way the sparkle.

The last purchase of diamonds, I purchased myself with gifts of a bracelt and right hand ring.

I also love Swavorski crystals.

Sandra

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2006, 04:10:09 PM »

Yes, I'm quite fond of diamonds.   :)
R

Rearden Metal

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Honey Badger cuz he don't Care.
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2006, 04:40:23 PM »
Women like diamonds because of what it symbolizes, namely a man toiling and spending his hard earned money, sacrificing other pleasures for himself in order to make her happy.

Men love to give women diamonds for the same reason. My wife has several diamond gifts from me. Besides her wedding rings, I've gotten her two sets of diamond earings, a tennis bracelet and a watch with diamonds. She's got almost a year's salary in diamonds, and while I'm aware that the value of such items are predicated on smoke and mirrors, it's the symbol of sacrifice that I love about it.

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2006, 06:39:49 PM »
Don't know, never got one.
:D Weee

AVBG

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2006, 06:56:45 PM »

I think Mike should give you one.  :)

az

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2006, 08:12:53 PM »
was never really into them, even less now that I know that many people are killed (including children) and lose limbs in the mines. If a worker finds a 5K diamond he/she may get paid 10 bucks, if they get paid at all.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2006, 09:47:09 PM »
You're referring to 'conflict diamonds'. Not all diamonds on the market are conflict diamonds.
w

smaul

• Getbig IV
  • Lets build some hurting bombs!
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2006, 11:41:16 PM »
was never really into them, even less now that I know that many people are killed (including children) and lose limbs in the mines. If a worker finds a 5K diamond he/she may get paid 10 bucks, if they get paid at all.

99% of diamonds sold are not conflict diamonds, a diamond bought from a reputable source cannot be a conflict diamond due to international certificates etc that are issued with them.  Diamond mining provides 80% of Botswana's income, other African countries are also very very dependant on diamonds fortheir income.  basically without diamonds, a lot of these poorer central and southern african countries would have no income and would completely collapse.

Anyways, I think they're pretty too, and I'm a guy!
It hasn't helped...

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2006, 05:27:59 AM »

Cheri, buy yourself a little one, it's therapeutic.

I got myself a black plastic swatch watch with a tiny one at 12 o'clock for my 30th birthday.

...I reckon taking the big one, the ring, from a man on one knee (after he's asked your father for permission to do so), is just too much of a commitment.  And I'm commitment-phobic...

That, plus of course, the fact that I never met the right man.  The only reason I'd marry would be to have children and I decided against that at an early age.

I've never liked jewellry that much, it just gets in the way.  But I do understand the attraction of portable wealth.  If, for instance, you can't pay the bills for some reason, one sad day, you can just go to the pawn shop...

Sometimes a (pretend) engagement or wedding ring is a good idea, as it's a polite way to turn men down.

I'm thinking of asking my Mum for her engagement ring.  Since my parents divorced 10 years ago, she just keeps it in a safe and it no longer brings her nice memories.  Whereas I'd appreciate it.  Perhaps I should be truly brazen and ask for my Grandmothers too.  I'd wear them together...

Mum gave me her $5,000 fur coat but that's now worthless and I'll never wear it.  I've got it wrapped up out of sight but it still bothers me.  It meant so much to her once.

Perhaps diamonds are so desirable as they are about attainment or achievement?

with love
Linda
x

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2006, 05:33:17 AM »
This totally cracks me up. Give them back to their rightful owner. I would say the rightful owner already has them.

The rings were given to her, ...therefore, she is the rightful owner.

I say in this instance, she should follow the Zsa Zsa Gabor rule when it comes to these things.
Zsa Zsa was once asked advice about this exact scenario. Zsa Zsa replied:
"But of course you must give him back da ring, ...but dahlink, make sure you keepa da stone."

I like diamonds as well. When I was younger (read: stupid teen), it had more to do with the great marketing by the DeBoer cartel than anything else. I thought a diamond really was forever, and that a guy just didn't love you if he didn't give you a diamond.  ::)  As I got older, and thankfully wiser, i realized there were more tangible and far more accurate ways to assess or demonstrate love, ...and the ability to gift you with a sizeable diamond just wasn't it.

Now I like diamonds, not because of what I think they represent, but because of what they do represent... lumps of carbon that metamorphised into beautiful sparkly things, that when fully faceted can capture & refract light unlike anything else. Most things (people included) are crushed and destroyed when you turn up the heat, ...but not a diamond. A diamond was a piece of carbon that didn't quit. It stuck to the job, and despite extreme heat and pressure didn't get crushed, ...instead, it came out on the winning end, using the heat & pressure to transformed itself into a remarkably beautiful thing. It's a great metaphor for how we should meet life.

Plus, I like diamonds for some of their physical properties as well as their ability to facilitate and/or enhance organic receptors in human beings. Plus, they hold their value very well, and are extremely portable liquidatable forms of currency.
Remember though, they are engagement rings. Is it right for a person to keep an engagement ring if they do not follow through with the marriage? I don't....just my two cents.

PB

muscleforlife

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2006, 02:24:53 PM »
I agree with Playboy to a certain extent.

I would return them in person.  If that failed, I would mail them certified to a known home adress.
After mailing the engagement rings back, if they return them to me.  I would keep them.

Reset them in a pendant or earrings.

Sandra

mish

• Getbig III
  • We'll start the ass-kissing with you.
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2006, 03:16:32 PM »
I like'em! They're soooo pretty (the way they catch the light, etc.) but I've noticed that my tastes have changed and at least as of right now I'd actually prefer an antique setting with my birthstone for an engagement ring :-\ Not that I'd turn down a diamond I'm just saying that's my preference right now...   

Oh and I agree w/Sandra, try to return them & if they still gave them back... keep'em (and have them reset).

BKS approved

Chamorrita

• Getbig III
  • Mens sana in corpore sano.
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2006, 08:02:09 PM »
I like them because they are pretty and sparkly.  I love yellow diamonds!  I tried on this chocolate diamond bracelet at a shop in Santa Monica.  It was worn by Celine Dion...something like 75K.  The owner said it hadn't found the right owner yet.  It looked fabulous on!  They had another diamond bracelet we tried on that was 150K...OMG!  It was so much fun!