Author Topic: is personal training a "real job/career"?!  (Read 10210 times)

Tom

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
is personal training a "real job/career"?!
« on: October 26, 2006, 04:16:16 PM »
i'm thinking about getting certified, but i'm asking myself " is personal training a real job/career?" i mean, i pretty sure most people that i know and i dont' know would think that's it not! that only muscle blockheads and uneducated people who can't do anything else do this for a "career". that one should have a "real job" you know steady income, health benefits/insurance, guaranteed 40 hours, etcetera, even though if i had to work in a cubicle, wear a suit, and go to the same building/office  5 days a week, 52 weeks of the year, for the next 30 years or so and work with the same people i would go INSANE!!!!

by the way, i do have B.A. in Communications, and an A.A. in journalism.

on hand, i plan on personal training as well as teaching core classes part-time, perhaps even an aqua strength training class and doing some kind of i don't know adventure travel guide job in some aspect and some free-lance writing the other hours of the week. i couldn't see myself being only "a personal trainer" for the rest of my life even if i could, i don't think i would want to!! somehow i think it would be i don't know kind of pathetic, being a 50/60 year old personal trainer, always always trying to find my clients and keep them as my only income!!

what do you guys think? serious comments please, no jokes or asshole replies. thanks in advance!!

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
Re: is personal training a "real job/career"?!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 04:20:14 PM »

Only 'muscle' what???? 'muscle' who????? Can you clarify that for me???
?

Tom

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 04:27:12 PM »
hey buddy ( a.ka. blockhead) sorry man, hear me out. i WANT TO BE A BLOCKHEAD, sorry no disrespect to you, my bad for using that term. i'm just repeating would others would say, ( meaning the usual out of shape assholes in this world!).

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 04:29:50 PM »

Just foolin', player...

PTing if you ask me is best as way to make side-scratch. A part-time gig, a 'hobby job'.

Unless you train Puff Daddy or Oprah I wouldnt COUNT on it being a full time thing...it's too erratic to be stable. It depends on who you are, though.
?

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 04:32:15 PM »
i'm thinking about getting certified, but i'm asking myself " is personal training a real job/career?" i mean, i pretty sure most people that i know and i dont' know would think that's it not! that only muscle blockheads and uneducated people who can't do anything else do this for a "career". that one should have a "real job" you know steady income, health benefits/insurance, guaranteed 40 hours, etcetera, even though if i had to work in a cubicle, wear a suit, and go to the same building/office  5 days a week, 52 weeks of the year, for the next 30 years or so and work with the same people i would go INSANE!!!!

by the way, i do have B.A. in Communications, and an A.A. in journalism.

on hand, i plan on personal training as well as teaching core classes part-time, perhaps even an aqua strength training class and doing some kind of i don't know adventure travel guide job in some aspect and some free-lance writing the other hours of the week. i couldn't see myself being only "a personal trainer" for the rest of my life even if i could, i don't think i would want to!! somehow i think it would be i don't know kind of pathetic, being a 50/60 year old personal trainer, always always trying to find my clients and keep them as my only income!!

what do you guys think? serious comments please, no jokes or asshole replies. thanks in advance!!
I know people who make pretty good money as full time trainers - mainly to the gay community since they have good disposable income.

The job sucks though IMO. They end up being the surrogate best friend/analysts to these people who are boring fvcks and a lot of the fags end up pressuring the trainers for more if you get my drift...

Plus who wants to be getting up at 5am on saturdays when you are 50 to go train somebody?

I'm kinda stepping away from the industry now into other things but i still do detailed training programs and diets for people but that is it.

If they don't follow it it's their problem!

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 04:32:25 PM »

is personal training a "real job/career"?!

No.

Hope this helps.
Ron: "I am lazy."

IceCold

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 04:35:31 PM »
you will have to struggle for a long time until you get a large enough client base.

also, working at gym, they will talk at least half of what you make.

certifications wont really get you clients. referrals will.

if you are serious about it and good at it, then stick with it.  but you will need a side job.

eventually, things may happen.

maybe.

by the way, i used to be a trainer. 

R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL ABBOTT (1966-2004)

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 04:42:44 PM »
can it be a career?

i dont see why not...i think it would depend on the situation though.

i think it would be important to be in a more upscale area where people are going to have the disposable income to hire and keep a personal trainer...also put some time and effort into marketing yourself...as well as being a people person with good communication skills to help hold onto clients.

i would also think it would be better to work for yourself...either find a gym that will let you train your clients in return for a reasonable monthly rent...or even better yet have your own studio.

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 04:46:52 PM »
can it be a career?

i dont see why not...i think it would depend on the situation though.

i think it would be important to be in a more upscale area where people are going to have the disposable income to hire and keep a personal trainer...also put some time and effort into marketing yourself...as well as being a people person with good communication skills to help hold onto clients.

i would also think it would be better to work for yourself...either find a gym that will let you train your clients in return for a reasonable monthly rent...or even better yet have your own studio.

being a trainer with lots of clients is more about personality than knowledge.

I know plenty of hot girls who are bubbly but still dumb bitches who have loads of clients... mainly older women who feel cool being around a young fox who gets attention from men in the gym...

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 04:54:19 PM »

No.

Hope this helps.

Why? I make more that most people who have a Masters degree!

Tom

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 05:02:04 PM »
thanks for all the replies guys! i will say it seems that it's one of the jobs/careers in it's who you know and also what you yourself look like. what i mean by that it that you could be the dumbest rock, but hey if your not only built but have male model looks you will get clients! i think not only do you have to have a great body, but the better you look facially it helps you out big time, of course having a good personality as well.

of course, the better looking you are you might end up with tons of horny old women and horny gay guys! laugh! both who have money though! laugh!

1) one other question: of course it depends on the area you live. i couldn't imagine being a personal trainer in l.a. where everyone is either a actor/model or personal trainer, and looks great. yeah, there are literally thousands of people who can/do and will pay big bucks for a trainer, but guess what? there are also thousands and thousands of personal trainers too! it's like a damn acting job i would think! imagine just being a personal trainer and having to fight this kind of competition for clients for the rest of your life!!

so, is the best option to find an large enough city, that's not too large and with less competition for clients, that is also upscale as well. perhaps a city like tucson, or phoenix or if you have to live in southern cal. not the marina del rey/venice scene but perhaps northern san diego county ( oceanside,escondido. etc.) hey i'm partial to the southwest that's why i'm asking if these areas sound good?!! thanks again for the replies!

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2006, 05:12:24 PM »
thanks for all the replies guys! i will say it seems that it's one of the jobs/careers in it's who you know and also what you yourself look like. what i mean by that it that you could be the dumbest rock, but hey if your not only built but have male model looks you will get clients! i think not only do you have to have a great body, but the better you look facially it helps you out big time, of course having a good personality as well.

of course, the better looking you are you might end up with tons of horny old women and horny gay guys! laugh! both who have money though! laugh!

1) one other question: of course it depends on the area you live. i couldn't imagine being a personal trainer in l.a. where everyone is either a actor/model or personal trainer, and looks great. yeah, there are literally thousands of people who can/do and will pay big bucks for a trainer, but guess what? there are also thousands and thousands of personal trainers too! it's like a damn acting job i would think! imagine just being a personal trainer and having to fight this kind of competition for clients for the rest of your life!!

so, is the best option to find an large enough city, that's not too large and with less competition for clients, that is also upscale as well. perhaps a city like tucson, or phoenix or if you have to live in southern cal. not the marina del rey/venice scene but perhaps northern san diego county ( oceanside,escondido. etc.) hey i'm partial to the southwest that's why i'm asking if these areas sound good?!! thanks again for the replies!

I agree , personal training is a very crowded field for clients. Done well, a hard working trainer can make decent $$.
The drawbacks are in terms of stable income over several years. To me a real career is something that offers areal finacial security and I don't think PT offers that to most that go into it.
As you get older you realize that credit score, savings, health ins, retirement plans are important.
I do think that being a PT is great thing to go for to start out with. Getting into club management however and eventual ownership is what I would go for.
Howard
Kelly Ryan married well!  Free Titus!

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2006, 08:12:14 PM »
if it pays enough who givves a hell if its a real job

but for 95% of personal trainers are a complete joke. the people at my gym, with one exception, don't know jack shit
Valhalla awaits.

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2006, 08:15:30 PM »
if it pays enough who givves a hell if its a real job

but for 95% of personal trainers are a complete joke. the people at my gym, with one exception, don't know jack shit

But if you can sell, you can be successful.  Keith's good buddy (and mine) Chris Falido does really well.  As does another friend of mine Eric Yamashita (4th Nationals Bantam, and 1st USA Bantam).  So it can be done, but it must be at a place with favorable conditions for independant contractors.

TorontoRaptorsFan

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2006, 08:31:32 PM »
Why? I make more that most people who have a Masters degree!

Most people are not millionaires also. Goatboy is right. Personal training is not a good long term career goal. What happens if you break your leg what good are you as a trainer when you're hobbling around. No parents dreams of their kid growing up to be a personal trainer. It doesn't happen. I know a personal trainer whose parents berate him and call him useless because that's what he does for a living. When he told me this I said I agreed with his parents.

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
  • Life, death, in between is getbig.com
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2006, 08:55:51 PM »
I work out at the NYSC in Brooklyn off of the Belt pkwy. 

walk up to any trainer there and ask for their philosophy on stimulating and maximizing hypertrophy.  Waiting 10 seconds then walk away shaking your head laughing.

The only thing that they are good for is proving the occasional spot and returning the weights to the rack. For some reason the idiots that work out there don't believe in returning the weights to the rack.

and oh yeah, there is nothing worse than seeing an out of shape p/t training someone....sad

Here comes the money shot

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2006, 09:02:56 PM »
Most people are not millionaires also. Goatboy is right. Personal training is not a good long term career goal. What happens if you break your leg what good are you as a trainer when you're hobbling around. No parents dreams of their kid growing up to be a personal trainer. It doesn't happen. I know a personal trainer whose parents berate him and call him useless because that's what he does for a living. When he told me this I said I agreed with his parents.

Dude, the problem is that most people that are personal trainers don't think ahead and treat like the business it is. Saying "what happends if you break your leg" is rediculous. I treat my business like anyone with a decent business would...I cover my ass, for example, two years ago I had knee surgery, but because I had someone to cover my clients I lost nothing, besides I was only out for a few days, but IF God for bid something happend that would put me out for a while, I still have someone to cover my clients along with self-employment disability insurance as well as health insurance and investments.

Again, if you think of it as just a way to make some money, thats all it will ever be, but if you treat and think of it as a business, then you can have a small goldmine.....just like anyone who starts ANYKIND of business!!

TorontoRaptorsFan

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2006, 09:05:41 PM »
Dude, the problem is that most people that are personal trainers don't think ahead and treat like the business it is. Saying "what happends if you break your leg" is rediculous. I treat my business like anyone with a decent business would...I cover my ass, for example, two years ago I had knee surgery, but because I had someone to cover my clients I lost nothing, besides I was only out for a few days, but IF God for bid something happend that would put me out for a while, I still have someone to cover my clients along with self-employment disability insurance as well as health insurance and investments.

Again, if you think of it as just a way to make some money, thats all it will ever be, but if you treat and think of it as a business, then you can have a small goldmine.....just like anyone who starts ANYKIND of business!!

Well at the end of the day the name of the game is net worth. If I was a betting man I would say your net worth would lag most people in your age group. Am I right or wrong?

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2006, 09:12:31 PM »
I work out at the NYSC in Brooklyn off of the Belt pkwy. 

walk up to any trainer there and ask for their philosophy on stimulating and maximizing hypertrophy.  Waiting 10 seconds then walk away shaking your head laughing.

The only thing that they are good for is proving the occasional spot and returning the weights to the rack. For some reason the idiots that work out there don't believe in returning the weights to the rack.

and oh yeah, there is nothing worse than seeing an out of shape p/t training someone....sad

Big deal, i can probably ask the samething from 10 different know-it-alls on here and get 10 different therories, but If I ask the same 'know-it-alls" on this board on the protocal for a 4 month periodization program for football or baseball, most would have no clue, but ask that same trainer on how to help someone from the general public (who really needs it, like an overweight person) he can probably talk your ear off provided he has had the experiance......bottomli ne is, it ain't all about hypertrophy bud abd when your a personal trainer....thats NOT where the money is!

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2006, 09:13:15 PM »
Well at the end of the day the name of the game is net worth. If I was a betting man I would say your net worth would lag most people in your age group. Am I right or wrong?

Your dead wrong!!

TorontoRaptorsFan

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2006, 09:14:31 PM »
Your dead wrong!!

You don't need to tell me the amount in dollars, but what type of liquid and fixed assets do you own?

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2006, 09:16:14 PM »
You don't need to tell me the amount in dollars, but what type of liquid and fixed assets do you own?

Not important, but lets just say I live very comfortably!

TorontoRaptorsFan

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2006, 09:19:16 PM »
Not important, but lets just say I live very comfortably!

Alot of people live comfortably but their also up to their eyeballs in debt.

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2006, 09:28:59 PM »

True, but my point is you can make very, very nice living from training!

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2006, 09:30:48 PM »

No one that's really comfortable is up to their eyeballs in debt. I understand your point about people living beyond their means or leveraging a lifestyle but anyone that is truely comfortable isn't personally debt ridden.