Author Topic: Would you consider lifting 190lbs off the ground with one hand to be strong?  (Read 9582 times)

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
Yes, lifting 190 dumbell off the ground (without straps) and standing up with it is strong, for anyone.  Of course many can do it, but not as many as some may think.  I see guys trying to do shrugs with 150's without straps and they do like 3 then the bell drops from their hands....and some of these guys have been big guys.

Monster_Everything

• Getbig IV
  • WOW, he REALLY just said that? (looks at camera)
I hate when people do that dumb old shit, you dont need all that to acheive a good workout... hahahah it just screams ....LOOK AT ME !!!!!

Monster Fat Weightlifter guy exercise...
gayer than shot put practice
The Number 2 in Scranton

Necrosis

• Getbig V
you do look quite small however that is quite a lift, we have that contraption at my work and the handle spins also, the most i have ever seen is 200 pounds pulled off the ground. the size of the handle and the fact that it spins tests pinch grip, someone with crazy grip strength would pull over 200.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
a 190 pound dumbell with a smaller grip and stationary is much easier, way easier.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
hahaha! another guy that uses big in their name, but's not!

where's your pic of your 300lb behind the neck press?
hahahahaha, exactly Superstar, i also love how these clowns always say, "this picture was taken when i was taking a twenty two year break from lifting, eating and steroids" as an excuse for their skinnyness.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
who cares about his size? the guy is lifting a 190 pound harness with a handle that looks to be about an inch and a half or so thick. that's impressive period, more so since he's about 200 pounds at the time. i doubt most on here bitching at him could do that with a dumbbell that had a standard thickness handle, let alone that thing.

SS

• Getbig V
  • The new and improved SS.
who cares about his size? the guy is lifting a 190 pound harness with a handle that looks to be about an inch and a half or so thick. that's impressive period, more so since he's about 200 pounds at the time. i doubt most on here bitching at him could do that with a dumbbell that had a standard thickness handle, let alone that thing.
he set himself up for this with the way he started the thread, and by the looks of the picture. it doesn't look like anyones paying attention to this amazing lift :-\

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
hahahahaha, you must be even skinnier and more pathetic than him if you're impressed by that, hahahaha, the handle is literally two inches from lockout.

SS

• Getbig V
  • The new and improved SS.
to be honest ive done the 160's for a few reps so I'm pretty sure i can pick up a 190lb's with one hand :-\

chris_mason

• Getbig IV
  • Owner AtLarge Nutrition
Ok, let's clear up a few things.

He is doing the lift using a "Rolling Thunder" grip tool.  He did the GNC "Grip Gauntlet" which GNC runs at all of the big expos (the Olympia and the Arnold for sure).  The Gillingham brothers (all VERY strong mothers!)man the attraction and it includes that lift, a #2 Ironmind Gripper (to my recollection on the number), and a "Blob" which is a rounded slab of metal which must be pinch gripped.  If you can get 2 of the 3 "lifts" you win a prize (again, to my recollection).

His grip strength is quite good if he can lift the weight with the Rolling Thunder.  That is an impressive feat and the vast majority who try it cannot budge the weight from the floor.

Squadfather, don't showcase your ignorance once again by giving him shit about the lift.  You can say he looks small etc. but that is a GOOD lift.

w

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
The RT's handle is 2 3/8 in diameter. The famous strongman Odd Haugen got 236lbs his 1st time out, so that should put this fellow's lift in prospective.

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
Deep Tissue Massage

bigbalddaddy

• Getbig IV
"i would kick you ass"

what is he 12 ???

In all honesty he could be 12.  My little nephew is 12 and close to his size so that's possible! ;D

AVBG

Big deal  ::)

carvedoutofwood

• Getbig III
  • the flame of the west

thanks powrod... wow... that guys jaw... hahahaha....

nobody said the lift wasnt impressive... just that standard weightlifting stregnth didnt really apply... height also seems to have a lot to do with it..... yes the wide grip makes a huge dif.... but that was mentioned... a dumbell off the floor would be tougher IMO, why?, because its way closer to the ground...

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
thanks powrod... wow... that guys jaw... hahahaha....

nobody said the lift wasnt impressive... just that standard weightlifting stregnth didnt really apply... height also seems to have a lot to do with it..... yes the wide grip makes a huge dif.... but that was mentioned... a dumbell off the floor would be tougher IMO, why?, because its way closer to the ground...

the grip is the question here, not his deadlift strength. i heavily doubt anyone outside of sarcasm is so weak that they couldn't get 190 pounds off the floor, even if it was one-armed. it's the fact that he could hold onto that thick-ass handle period that makes the lift impressive.

carvedoutofwood

• Getbig III
  • the flame of the west
the grip is the question here, not his deadlift strength. i heavily doubt anyone outside of sarcasm is so weak that they couldn't get 190 pounds off the floor, even if it was one-armed. it's the fact that he could hold onto that thick-ass handle period that makes the lift impressive.

you wouldnt say that height and hand size has alot to do with it?... if a really tall guy with huge hands can straigten his knees while getting his hand wrapped around that thing does that make him stong... i dont know... the ROM is soooo small... but then again, bigJ doesnt seem so tall and his hand dont seem that big, so impressive yes... impressive showing of stregnth  i really dont know

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
you wouldnt say that height and hand size has alot to do with it?... if a really tall guy with huge hands can straigten his knees while getting his hand wrapped around that thing does that make him stong... i dont know... the ROM is soooo small... but then again, bigJ doesnt seem so tall and his hand dont seem that big, so impressive yes... impressive showing of stregnth  i really dont know

That's a very good point.  grip test would only be an accurate measure of strength if EVERYONE had a 1/2 inch space between the for finger and thumb, otherwise the taller guy has a huge advantage, obviously.  just like hanging test, only if everyone can adjust their weight, by adding weight or using a gravatron type machine to be (lets say 250) will the test be accurate.  Or to make it simple adjust weight to be 300 by adding weight, then we can see who the strongest grip belongs to.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V

i think you're just trying to find whatever reason you can to discount what he's done and no matter what i say you're going to come up with another.

JasonH

• Getbig V
Ok, let's clear up a few things.

He is doing the lift using a "Rolling Thunder" grip tool.  He did the GNC "Grip Gauntlet" which GNC runs at all of the big expos (the Olympia and the Arnold for sure).  The Gillingham brothers (all VERY strong mothers!)man the attraction and it includes that lift, a #2 Ironmind Gripper (to my recollection on the number), and a "Blob" which is a rounded slab of metal which must be pinch gripped.  If you can get 2 of the 3 "lifts" you win a prize (again, to my recollection).

His grip strength is quite good if he can lift the weight with the Rolling Thunder.  That is an impressive feat and the vast majority who try it cannot budge the weight from the floor.

Squadfather, don't showcase your ignorance once again by giving him shit about the lift.  You can say he looks small etc. but that is a GOOD lift.

Excellent post. I'd forgotten what attraction it was at the Expo that I'd entered.

There was quite a queue before I did the lift and I'd say I stood around and watched about a dozen people before me try the Rolling Thuinder and fail - many of them were taller and bigger than me.
I couldn't pick up the "blob" which required a pinch-grip. That was pretty difficult and I didn't see anyone complete it.
I came very, very close to closing the no.2 ironmind gripper - Gillingham had to have a close look to see that it was properly shut but couldn't award it. I think the prize was to win a full set of the ironmind grippers but I came away empty handed - nobody won it as far as I know.

For the record - I'm 5'10'' in height which is about average - obviously the taller you are the easier it is. The picture doesn't really do me justice in terms of size but that wasn't the point of the exercise, to show how big I was, it was to show photographic evidence that I'm as strong as I say I am. Not many Getbiggers have produced photographic evidence of strength claims.

I may post pictures or even videos in the very near future so people who are genuinely interested can see some physique pics, or training videos. I'm no longer even going to respond to the hateful and jealous comments from SuperstarBilly, Squadfather and a few others as I believe their sole purpose on this board is to bully, gang up, and ridicule people no matter what the topic is. Any comments from them from now on will be ignored.

chris_mason

• Getbig IV
That's a very good point.  grip test would only be an accurate measure of strength if EVERYONE had a 1/2 inch space between the for finger and thumb, otherwise the taller guy has a huge advantage, obviously.  just like hanging test, only if everyone can adjust their weight, by adding weight or using a gravatron type machine to be (lets say 250) will the test be accurate.  Or to make it simple adjust weight to be 300 by adding weight, then we can see who the strongest grip belongs to.

Yeah, GREAT point  ::).  By your logic then there can be no determination of strength.  What about the guy benching with a barrell chest and short arms?  No one questions those factors when comparing benches.
w

chris_mason

• Getbig IV
Excellent post. I'd forgotten what attraction it was at the Expo that I'd entered.

There was quite a queue before I did the lift and I'd say I stood around and watched about a dozen people before me try the Rolling Thuinder and fail - many of them were taller and bigger than me.
I couldn't pick up the "blob" which required a pinch-grip. That was pretty difficult and I didn't see anyone complete it.
I came very, very close to closing the no.2 ironmind gripper - Gillingham had to have a close look to see that it was properly shut but couldn't award it. I think the prize was to win a full set of the ironmind grippers but I came away empty handed - nobody won it as far as I know.

For the record - I'm 5'10'' in height which is about average - obviously the taller you are the easier it is. The picture doesn't really do me justice in terms of size but that wasn't the point of the exercise, to show how big I was, it was to show photographic evidence that I'm as strong as I say I am. Not many Getbiggers have produced photographic evidence of strength claims.

I may post pictures or even videos in the very near future so people who are genuinely interested can see some physique pics, or training videos. I'm no longer even going to respond to the hateful and jealous comments from SuperstarBilly, Squadfather and a few others as I believe their sole purpose on this board is to bully, gang up, and ridicule people no matter what the topic is. Any comments from them from now on will be ignored.

The blob is a BITCH!  There are guys that can handle it easily including one if not all of the Gillingham brothers.  Brad (I think he is the one) has deadlifted over 800 lbs using a hook grip!
w

carvedoutofwood

• Getbig III
  • the flame of the west
Yeah, GREAT point  ::).  By your logic then there can be no determination of strength.  What about the guy benching with a barrell chest and short arms?  No one questions those factors when comparing benches.

i think they do... infact ROM is always brought up when discussing strength... not just how muc you can lift, but how much over what distance, right?

like i said impressive, but not a good way to mes. strength... this is a guy who claims a 300lb behind the neck shoulder press,... then he posts this pic...

what about palming a basketball? if someones fingers are super long to help them grip it, does that mean theyre stronger?

body88

he set himself up for this with the way he started the thread, and by the looks of the picture. it doesn't look like anyones paying attention to this amazing lift :-\

Another one bites the dust  :-\

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
Well, would you?

Why does it matter??