Author Topic: Bruce Lee the greatest fighter that ever lived?  (Read 12659 times)

rugged_bloke89

• Getbig II
Bruce Lee the greatest fighter that ever lived?
« on: November 28, 2006, 03:42:53 AM »
Now i (much like everyone else) have heard rumours of the many fighting feats and extreme strength of Bruce lee, so who here believes that he (when alive) was the greatest fighter in the world. If you reckon he wasnt can you post who you think would be able to beat him? (Mike Tyson, anyone?)

id just like to see everyones opinion on this. I personally believe he was and will always will be possibly the greatest fighter with the most focus that ever lived.

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
Re: Bruce Lee the greatest fighter that ever lived?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 04:33:01 AM »
Fedor, end of thread.
Predictions
 40/61

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 05:08:41 AM »
Now i (much like everyone else) have heard rumours of the many fighting feats and extreme strength of Bruce lee, so who here believes that he (when alive) was the greatest fighter in the world. If you reckon he wasnt can you post who you think would be able to beat him? (Mike Tyson, anyone?)

id just like to see everyones opinion on this. I personally believe he was and will always will be possibly the greatest fighter with the most focus that ever lived.

Innovator, yes.  Ahead of his time, yes.  First MMA advocate, yes.  Greatest fighter, no.  I am the BIGGEST Lee Jun Fan fan (pun intended), a former WC instructor, and an assistant instructor of JKDC, that being said, any good lightweight fighter of today would beat the snot out of the "Little Dragon."  Norifumi Yamamoto would demolish Bruce.  He is much like a 1967 Camaro Z28, good for his day, but doesn't compare to a 2002 Z28.  Happy Belated Birthday, Bruce. 

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 07:51:52 AM »
Innovator, yes.  Ahead of his time, yes.  First MMA advocate, yes.  Greatest fighter, no.  I am the BIGGEST Lee Jun Fan fan (pun intended), a former WC instructor, and an assistant instructor of JKDC, that being said, any good lightweight fighter of today would beat the snot out of the "Little Dragon."  Norifumi Yamamoto would demolish Bruce.  He is much like a 1967 Camaro Z28, good for his day, but doesn't compare to a 2002 Z28.  Happy Belated Birthday, Bruce. 

Ill second that one..... And it saves me the effort of typing the same thing...

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 11:31:37 AM »
yes bruce is the greatest. end of story
next
Z

arigato

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 12:04:31 PM »

i'd say any ufc fighters can take him...

durbax

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 12:06:15 PM »
theres really no way to tell... he was way ahead of his time like some else said, but you can't compare him to the talent today...

student

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 07:19:45 PM »
Bruce lee was an actor, Chuck would KTFO bruce lee.  He's a myth.

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 08:52:37 PM »

exactly

the only people that actually believe this myth are people that don't fight.

who the hell did bruce fight? i mean REALLY fight, not in a movie or with some submissive dojo trainee.

let you in on a secret. if a fighter doesn't constantly fight the best fighters he doesn't become a great fighter. kind of like if a tennis player doesn't compete against the best tennis players. probably even more so because there's a lot more to fighting that is impossible to learn without fighting ie how do you react to getting hit/pressure? do you flinch, throw? good fighters don't react, they don't even blink.

throwing very fast arm punches in the air/ doing the splits on chairs/throwing kicks 7ft up in the air/kicking a heavy bag hard, etc DON'T make good fighters.

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 03:18:06 AM »

Except that Bruce Lee was Chucks teacher.  Bruce trained Mike Stone, Chuck Norris and Joe Lewis.  All three dominated the full contact Karate circuit.  Both Mike Stone and Chuck Norris deny that Bruce taught them anything, that they collaborated instead.  Joe Lewis went on to become the first full contact kickboxing champ and gave Bruce credit for his improvements.  Linda Lee Caldwell has journal entries of all of Bruce's famous clients including Steve McQueen, James Coburn, Churk Norris, Mike Stone.  Dan Inosanto has SEEN Bruce spar with all of the above, and said that Bruce was easily the best of any of them.  That being said, Norifumi Yamamoto still rapes him. 

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2006, 06:48:55 AM »
only because he has an adapted style which is more well rounded. Anyway, Bruce was NEVER Chucks instructor - they showed each other new aspects of their fighting styles. Chuck was a renowned martial artist years before bruce met him
Scouser on Tour

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2006, 07:02:58 AM »
Except that Bruce Lee was Chucks teacher.  Bruce trained Mike Stone, Chuck Norris and Joe Lewis.  All three dominated the full contact Karate circuit.  Both Mike Stone and Chuck Norris deny that Bruce taught them anything, that they collaborated instead.  Joe Lewis went on to become the first full contact kickboxing champ and gave Bruce credit for his improvements.  Linda Lee Caldwell has journal entries of all of Bruce's famous clients including Steve McQueen, James Coburn, Churk Norris, Mike Stone.  Dan Inosanto has SEEN Bruce spar with all of the above, and said that Bruce was easily the best of any of them.  That being said, Norifumi Yamamoto still rapes him. 

1. 'full contact karate' is not even close to real fighting. don't kid yourself. it's all so nice and politically correct. did you ever see that debacle that flex put on with that fat f**k at the arnold classic? that was your stock standard 'full contact karate' bout. doesn't it just send shivers down your spine? ::)

2. sparring means nothing, especially in karate. the purpose of sparring in karate is to simply hone skills. that's it.

3. with that in mind, bruce was the INSTRUCTER. a trainee is not going to beat up the instructer. cus d'amato probably couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper bag. does that mean he didn't know HOW to fight? of course not, he trained 3 undisputed world champions.

bruce lee was no doubt a good fighter and, yes, of course he had forgotten more about kung fu than the americans would ever know. the americans at that time were complete novices to kung fu. do you actually think they are going to say anything different about him?

student

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2006, 11:24:34 AM »
those that can't do .....  teach.

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2006, 02:36:05 PM »
1. 'full contact karate' is not even close to real fighting. don't kid yourself. it's all so nice and politically correct. did you ever see that debacle that flex put on with that fat f**k at the arnold classic? that was your stock standard 'full contact karate' bout. doesn't it just send shivers down your spine? ::)

2. sparring means nothing, especially in karate. the purpose of sparring in karate is to simply hone skills. that's it.

3. with that in mind, bruce was the INSTRUCTER. a trainee is not going to beat up the instructor. cus d'amato probably couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper bag. does that mean he didn't know HOW to fight? of course not, he trained 3 undisputed world chapions.

bruce lee was no doubt a good fighter and, yes, of course he had forgotten more about kung fu than the americans would ever know. the americans at that time were complete novices to kung fu. do you actually think they are going to say anything different about him?

Joe Lewis was the FIRST FULL CONTACT champion.  Not the tournament stuff that Flex did, but in a ring, boxing, and kicking (hence the name).  (BTW, Joe broke Chuck Norris ribs)  Bruce would introduce himself to these fighters and solicit them to train with them.  How do you supposed he got them to want to train with him?  He would spar with them FULL CONTACT and show them he had concepts and ideas that would improve their game.  Who was the first guy to transition from using boxing gloves to using open finger gloves for sparring?  Bruce Lee.  Who was the first westerner to don shin guards, chest protection and boxing headgear and spar all out?  Bruce Lee.  Who was the first traditional martial artist who added and blended Kicking, Punching, Clinching, Grappling into a smooth synergistic art?  Bruce Lee.  Don't confuse the movie guy from the real guy.  I have trained with Guro Dan Inosanto, Sifu Richard Bustillo (two original students of Bruce Lee) and both of them became students of Bruce even though they were black belts in Kempo with Ed Parker because they couldn't touch Bruce in sparring.  Sifu Richard was also a golden gloves champ from Kalihi (a tough neighborhood in Hawaii), Guro Dan was a brown belt in Judo.  Both of these men can attest to Bruce's ability, and both say he was years ahead of anyone at the time.  That being said, he would get killed by today's champs, not to mention he would 66.  No doubt he would have gotten into Jiujitsu.  At the time of his death he was already doing Muay Thai, and was adding catch as catchcan wrestling, judo to his art. 

Eric15210

• Getbig IV
  • poor people are crazy I'm eccentric
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2006, 06:09:08 PM »
Frank Dux  ;D
RIP Bob Probert

student

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2006, 08:04:12 PM »
just because you look like a champ working the mitts and hitting the bag , doesn't mean you can do the same when you are being cracked on the chin. 

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2006, 11:11:47 PM »
just because you look like a champ working the mitts and hitting the bag , doesn't mean you can do the same when you are being cracked on the chin. 

I agree totally.  I look like a champ until I get clipped, then I drop and go for the double. 

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2006, 11:33:27 PM »
Does anyone hear know who Bob Wall is

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2006, 12:21:08 AM »

Perenial bad guy, sparring partner of Chuck Norris and managed Kaheke Alexio later in life. 

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2006, 12:22:15 AM »

never met wall, just heard stuff from other people. supposed to be a karate legend and a guy who really could fight, a bit nuts. also fairly close to the bruce lee gang ie chuck norris, mike stone, etc.

i've met and shook hands with norris (who hasn't?), but that's it, never hung out with him. would have been pretty cool to hang with some of these guys after all the stories i've heard.

onlyme, i understand you hung around chuck norris a bit so you've probably met wall.

you got any stories? heard he was a good fighter and didn't back down from one either.

student

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2006, 06:31:43 AM »
Do you remember when karate was something that every one was impressed with , until mma got big and you saw an endless line of stand up fighters getting choked out and arm barred.  No one knew what a sprawl was.

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2006, 07:47:13 AM »
Do you remember when karate was something that every one was impressed with , until mma got big and you saw an endless line of stand up fighters getting choked out and arm barred.  No one knew what a sprawl was.

lol, yes, i believe the karate kids got owned by everyone. even the street brawlers were owning them.

main problems with karate against a good all round fighter are:

1. not used to getting hit hard in the head and tend to go to pieces when they do.

2. way too tight, don't use angles and sit way too long on a strike.

3. arm punch

4. too kick happy and, again, sit too long on the kick ie one foot in the air = taken down real quick.

dootle

• Getbig II
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2006, 09:55:17 AM »

Bruce lee was a martial artist long before he became an actor..i want to also point out that he fought anyone/everyone who ever challenged him,bareknuckle/no rules(he even had to fight to win the right to teach)..i can not think of a lightweight fighter(dead or alive) that has the speed,power,and technique that Bruce lee had..not a myth,he was a legend(and certainly not because of his awful acting)..

student

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2006, 11:38:41 AM »
translation,  you just finnished watching "the dragon" and you think you can write a book on Bruce Lee.

student

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2006, 11:41:49 AM »
lol, yes, i believe the karate kids got owned by everyone. even the street brawlers were owning them.

main problems with karate against a good all round fighter are:

1. not used to getting hit hard in the head and tend to go to pieces when they do.

2. way too tight, don't use angles and sit way too long on a strike.

3. arm punch

4. too kick happy and, again, sit too long on the kick ie one foot in the air = taken down real quick.

a lot of martial arts are not pratical....  a fight doesnt end and reset as soon as you land a clean blow.  Could you imagine a boxing match , where after every clean jab landed the ref jumped in and broke them apart and then awarded a point.