Author Topic: C.cantwell 622 raw bench, shotputter  (Read 5060 times)

warrior_code

• Getbig III
C.cantwell 622 raw bench, shotputter
« on: November 28, 2006, 04:55:42 PM »
Seeing as all these threads about bench are on here, I thought u guys may enjoy this

this guy is a american shotputter, not even a powerlifter, here he does 622 raw for 1 rep.  Heaviest he has done is 645 for once.  He is a really nice guy, I got a chance to throw with him for a bit when I was down in the states this summer.  Incredible strength, especially seeing as he is not even a powerlifter he is also 6'6 a pretty big rom too.  

he is drug tested on a regular basis as he is a world class athlete, come to your own conclusions...

http://www.macthrowvideo.com/CC622.swf

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
Re: C.cantwell 622 raw bench, shotputter
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 05:03:30 PM »
how much does he weigh? thats alot more than i can press
A

warrior_code

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 05:04:58 PM »
depends, inseason he is over 300lbs for sure, he is so massive in person too.  Incredible talent too

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 05:14:09 PM »
damn i wonder what the dude eats to get so heavy. i could never get past 270-275 forcefeeding then i started carrying more bodyfat than i wanted to however, i wanted to maintain my sexyness, but damn this grizzly bear can put up some weight!
A

warrior_code

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 05:18:15 PM »
his frame allows hi to be that heavy, he can also push a 16lb ball 75feet!  He is gonna win in the olympics in 2008, while I will be 12-15th hopefully. 

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 06:20:11 PM »
his frame allows hi to be that heavy, he can also push a 16lb ball 75feet!  He is gonna win in the olympics in 2008, while I will be 12-15th hopefully. 

i dont really beleive the whole 'bigger frame' thing  usually to height  bonstructure is not going to be much different
A

dorkeroo

• Getbig IV
  • I need steroids for the brain.
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 06:22:03 PM »
That was a CRAZY bench  :o

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 06:35:59 PM »
he doesnt look like he has crazy size in his arms, looks kinda fat. but damn thats an unbeleivable bench
A

chris_mason

• Getbig IV
  • Owner AtLarge Nutrition
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 06:55:10 PM »
Throwers of all kinds tend to have huge pressing power (bench and overhead lifts).
w

body88

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 07:01:42 PM »
wow

warrior_code

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 07:14:46 PM »
he is huge in person, chris, it is usually shotputters only who have crazy pressing power, most other throws like discus or hammer tend to focus more on olympics lifts.  Shot is the only motion that actually involves a push.   

daddy, it you look at pics of him, sure he is carrying a little extra, but it is cool to see that power without a shirt or crazy arch or any of that garbage.  To top it off he isn't ever a powerlifter and spends most of his time doing drills.   

carvedoutofwood

• Getbig III
  • the flame of the west

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2006, 07:30:38 PM »
wow  ;D
just push some weight!

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2006, 07:34:28 PM »
he is huge in person, chris, it is usually shotputters only who have crazy pressing power, most other throws like discus or hammer tend to focus more on olympics lifts.  Shot is the only motion that actually involves a push.   

daddy, it you look at pics of him, sure he is carrying a little extra, but it is cool to see that power without a shirt or crazy arch or any of that garbage.  To top it off he isn't ever a powerlifter and spends most of his time doing drills.   

his strength is unbeleivable. and him being 6feet6 all that 622 pounds is having to travel quite the distance!! so in reality he is probably the strongest bencher out right now
A

warrior_code

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2006, 07:37:10 PM »
and he isn't even a bencher!!! altho his technique being as tall as he is really depends on his upper body, he can't up much legs in the cirlce being as tall as he is.  Imagine if he was using the drugs that plers today use.  LIke I said, he may or may not use(very doubtful after I hung out with him), but he is tested like crazy at every meet, and he hasn't ever failed one in his life. 

chris_mason

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2006, 07:41:11 PM »

Warrior, I understand that but practicing powercleans (what most track athletes do as opposed to full cleans) and jerks often builds their general pressing power and for many this can translate to a strong bench (not 600 + lbs strong but you get the idea).  You will note I only specified pressing power and I did that on purpose as to not single out the bench press.  I only need to think of Dallas Long who could play with the 150 lbs dumbbells for overhead presses and could clean and jerk in the 400 + range if my memory serves.

w

chris_mason

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2006, 07:44:30 PM »
and he isn't even a bencher!!! altho his technique being as tall as he is really depends on his upper body, he can't up much legs in the cirlce being as tall as he is.  Imagine if he was using the drugs that plers today use.  LIke I said, he may or may not use(very doubtful after I hung out with him), but he is tested like crazy at every meet, and he hasn't ever failed one in his life. 

Out of curiousity, do you know for a fact those are 20 kg bumpers?

As to drugs, let's not even go there as track and field athletes are as doped as anyone in sports.  The crap about them being tested so much and therefore clean is just that, crap.

I have no idea if that fellow uses but your implication with your statement is just a bit naive or you are trying to pull the wool over people's eyes.
w

warrior_code

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2006, 07:53:35 PM »
I wasn't there when he did it, but I doubt they would be fake.  He really doesn't have any reason to fake it, I even doubt if he actually wanted it taped.   

And yes you are right, dallas long was nuts.  Also there is a javelin thrower, andreas thorkildsen, who is like 170lbs who has a 400 bench so you are right.  We do alot of snatches and jerks so that helps too. 

About the drugs, like I said, I don't live with him 24 hours so I don't know.  But I think he would have failed a test by now if he was using.  Especially since he won the 04 world indoor champs.
  I am curious what makes u think we are as doped?  I can verify 100% that you can make it to the top without using drugs.  When I say to the top I mean make the final in any major comp, whether that be olympics or world champs.   
Jason tunks, canadian discus thrower did, and I know for a fact he is clean. 

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2006, 11:14:43 PM »
The funny thing about drug testing is exactly what drugs they are testing for.  The Olympics by far are the most stringent and no way in hell could one pro BB or powerlifter pass.  Not one.  The IFBB and the PDI only test for certain drugs.  Mostly just direutics.  And as far as I know testing for HGH hasn't been done yet as with other stuff.

And those are probably 20 kg.  If not they would be 10 kg. and the bar bends and acts to heavy for them to be that light.  I don't see anything that points to the fact that weight is what they say it is.  The guy is strong as hell and just keep it at that.

chris_mason

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2006, 05:23:21 AM »
I wasn't there when he did it, but I doubt they would be fake.  He really doesn't have any reason to fake it, I even doubt if he actually wanted it taped.   

And yes you are right, dallas long was nuts.  Also there is a javelin thrower, andreas thorkildsen, who is like 170lbs who has a 400 bench so you are right.  We do alot of snatches and jerks so that helps too. 

About the drugs, like I said, I don't live with him 24 hours so I don't know.  But I think he would have failed a test by now if he was using.  Especially since he won the 04 world indoor champs.
  I am curious what makes u think we are as doped?  I can verify 100% that you can make it to the top without using drugs.  When I say to the top I mean make the final in any major comp, whether that be olympics or world champs.   
Jason tunks, canadian discus thrower did, and I know for a fact he is clean. 

I won't get into the drug argument.  Let's call it an educated opinion.

I am not saying the plates were faked.  As you should know not all big bumper plates are 20kg.  I was not sure where you got the idea that the load was 600+ lbs so I didn't know if you were just assuming the plates were that heavy.

Chris
w

chris_mason

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2006, 05:24:35 AM »
The funny thing about drug testing is exactly what drugs they are testing for.  The Olympics by far are the most stringent and no way in hell could one pro BB or powerlifter pass.  Not one.  The IFBB and the PDI only test for certain drugs.  Mostly just direutics.  And as far as I know testing for HGH hasn't been done yet as with other stuff.

And those are probably 20 kg.  If not they would be 10 kg. and the bar bends and acts to heavy for them to be that light.  I don't see anything that points to the fact that weight is what they say it is.  The guy is strong as hell and just keep it at that.

I don't doubt the guy is strong I was just wondering if he knew the weight to be that much or was guessing.
w

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2006, 06:07:34 AM »
Out of curiousity, do you know for a fact those are 20 kg bumpers?

As to drugs, let's not even go there as track and field athletes are as doped as anyone in sports.  The crap about them being tested so much and therefore clean is just that, crap.

I have no idea if that fellow uses but your implication with your statement is just a bit naive or you are trying to pull the wool over people's eyes.
With all due respect..

You assume too much about everyone being doped up, Mason.

I guarantee you that not one of the Swedish top Track and Fielders that are currently in the top of their respective sports, are "doped up".

They are definitely lifetime naturals.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2006, 06:31:19 AM »
Mason is starting to sound like Crotch.

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2006, 07:21:28 AM »
That dude's a badass. All that weight on the bar looked incredible.

HUGEPECS

• Getbig V
  • School of Hard knocks Gym
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2006, 07:34:10 AM »
at least we can see the bar benting under all that weight. Ever wonder why the Bar never bent on those pics you see in the Flex Magazine? ;D ;D
Get Big, or Die Trying