Author Topic: pit bulls are sick  (Read 44535 times)

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
Re: pit bulls are sick
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2006, 11:26:03 PM »
And if you get Body88 started, then i'll get started as well... and with our combined knowledge we could take it 1,000 pages. 

jr

• Getbig V
  • No homo of peace
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2006, 11:51:25 PM »
Pitbulls are great, until one day they decide to bite off some kids face.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2006, 11:54:35 PM »
that dog is not an american pit bull terrier.  It is a "cur" or essentially a dog that has been bred for size.  Pretty dog yes, but hardly of the athletic nature of an american pit bull terrier.

TrapsMcLats, please elaborate on this, not familiar with concept, does it entail introducing another breed, or how/what is it? Sure looks impressive, does it affect temperament negatively?

Another thing, if any of you guys can advise, I've got a 1yr old male bull terrier, how compatible would an APBT be with him? I wouldnt want them fighting/killing each other, as I know bull terriers are territorial, attention seekers, and possessive as well as great dogs. But dont know much re APBT's besides their wrongly attributed bad-rep, nor their compatibility with other "strong" terrier breeds.

Sorry to turn this into "ask-the-vet" forum...

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2006, 11:55:05 PM »
you really don't want to get me started.  Like i could say that the woman who had the first face transplant... you know what kind of dog mauled her?  A lab.  Not a pit, but a lab.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2006, 11:58:00 PM »
Apparently Golden Retrievers are also snappy, and responsible for maulings.

Obviously generalization, but thats what I heard.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2006, 12:15:17 AM »
TrapsMcLats, please elaborate on this, not familiar with concept, does it entail introducing another breed, or how/what is it? Sure looks impressive, does it affect temperament negatively?

Another thing, if any of you guys can advise, I've got a 1yr old male bull terrier, how compatible would an APBT be with him? I wouldnt want them fighting/killing each other, as I know bull terriers are territorial, attention seekers, and possessive as well as great dogs. But dont know much re APBT's besides their wrongly attributed bad-rep, nor their compatibility with other "strong" terrier breeds.

Sorry to turn this into "ask-the-vet" forum...

There is much debate among breeders and the like over what an americam pit bull terrier actually is based on the fact that they were only ever bred for temperment, gameness and athletic ability and never really looks.  Now thats not to say that there isn't a APBT "look" that is aimed for, its just not as imprtant as it is with other breeds.

Many breeders and breed experts feel that when APBT get extremely stocky and muscle bound that another breed has been introduced...  such as a Neo Mastiff, Dogo, Presa and especially the dogue de bordeaux for head size, which is becoming increasingly more popular.  Its all up to debate in theory.  But many of the dogs we see is rap videos or in the above pictured blue dog are not an american pit bull terrier by definition:

from  ukcdogs.com:  "The American Pit Bull Terrier is a medium-sized, solidly built, short-coated dog with smooth, well-defined musculature. This breed is both powerful and athletic. The body is just slightly longer than tall, but bitches may be somewhat longer in body than dogs. The length of the front leg (measured from point of elbow to the ground) is approximately equal to one-half of the dog's height at the withers. The head is of medium length, with a broad, flat skull, and a wide, deep muzzle. Ears are small to medium in size, high set, and may be natural or cropped. The relatively short tail is set low, thick at the base and tapers to a point. The American Pit Bull Terrier comes in all colors and color patterns. This breed combines strength and athleticism with grace and agility and should never appear bulky or muscle-bound or fine-boned and rangy.

As for your dog and a APBT getting along... its a case by case situation.  Some dogs get along with each other, others don't.  I wish there was more applicable science but it really is a case by case situation.  Introduce your dog (always on leash at first) to a pit you are considering adopting, and see how they get along... and give it time.  Shyness and timidness can always desolve into complete adoration of each other.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2006, 12:20:47 AM »
Apparently Golden Retrievers are also snappy, and responsible for maulings.

Obviously generalization, but thats what I heard.

Yeah, its all based on what people "HEAR..." but like anything, its one dog versus every other dog of their kind.  Thats why the BADRAP organiztion says "judge the deed, not the breed."  I live by that creed.  I've never met an aggressive Presa, but people will tell you they are killers.  The only dog i have met that are consistently wary and aggressive are rottweilers, but thats what they were bred for, to gaurd.  I love rots though, once they know you and see you are accepted by their owner they are big clowns who want nothing more than to play and cuddle.  They try to dominate, but once you set boundaries, they give in and mostly want attention at all times.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2006, 12:31:04 AM »
Thanks Traps,

I agree with bad rep being bs half the time.

I had Rottweilers as a kid, and can vouch for their temperament, as you said, if one sets boundaries and is firm, then they're obedient and controlled (like every dog, I think). Very intellegent, playful monsters.
We had Maltese Poodles that ran the show, and set the rules with the Rotts, so much for the stone cold hardened killers!
They're great guard-dogs, and half the job is intimidation.
This "new, impure" breed you describe, is it an unethical thing to support such a breed, you believe? Do they have known bad traits? Killing off original bloodline?
Must confess, thats the look of dog that appeals to me, didnt know that were not pure.

andydude00

• Getbig II
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2006, 12:47:34 AM »

looks like it could bench 225 for reps

I dunno fellas I think he's juicing.....

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2006, 01:02:16 AM »
Well, like i said its still a matter of debate... but no, i don't believe its unethical if they are selling them as pit bulls... a pit bull by definition is any dog that could fight in the pits (in THEORY... as i do not condone dog fighting of ANY kind). But to market or sell these dogs as American Pit Bull Terriers would be wrong.  They are not that dog.
In terms of temperment... its an unknown quantity.  Dogs that could POSSIBLY have been introduced (like dogue de bordeaux) do not have the high scoring, steady temperment of the APBT.  APBT's score higher with the american teperment testing society than the golden retriever, at what i think is 83.7% (which means that 83.7 percent of the dogs they tested passed all tests on teperment).  The dogue de bordeaux does not score nearly as high.  Another dog i forgot to mention that many believe have been bred into these massive "pit bulls" are the cane corso and they do not score as high either.  Take a look at these dogs and the blue pit above and you will see quite a similarity:

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2006, 01:03:02 AM »

I dunno fellas I think he's juicing.....

no, just really powerful dogs.  You should see how much weight they can pull.

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2006, 01:04:41 AM »

looks like it could bench 225 for reps

synthol

monster forelegs

gh gut

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2006, 01:08:41 AM »
Well, like i said its still a matter of debate... but no, i don't believe its unethical if they are selling them as pit bulls... a pit bull by definition is any dog that could fight in the pits (in THEORY... as i do not condone dog fighting of ANY kind). But to market or sell these dogs as American Pit Bull Terriers would be wrong.  They are not that dog.
In terms of temperment... its an unknown quantity.  Dogs that could POSSIBLY have been introduced (like dogue de bordeaux) do not have the high scoring, steady temperment of the APBT.  APBT's score higher with the american teperment testing society than the golden retriever, at what i think is 83.7% (which means that 83.7 percent of the dogs they tested passed all tests on teperment).  The dogue de bordeaux does not score nearly as high.  Another dog i forgot to mention that many believe have been bred into these massive "pit bulls" are the cane corso and they do not score as high either.  Take a look at these dogs and the blue pit above and you will see quite a similarity:

cane corsos look like they've been doing GH . . . their skulls are more overgrown than Cutler's.  the dog in the second pic looks like it might also have early-onset Palumbism.

andydude00

• Getbig II
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2006, 01:13:02 AM »
Now this dog is a beauty. Not a pit though.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2006, 01:18:56 AM »
I want to show dogo's.  Great companions and just plain beautiful dogs. 

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2006, 01:21:38 AM »
this is my dog, Jaw Gutler.  he's a champion too.  Like the champ, he has great cranial (particularly mandibular) development.  unfortunately, he too has some problems w the gut and loose skin, but it's not too bad.

oh, and he's white, in case you didn't notice.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2006, 01:24:06 AM »
this is the dog i want to sire my dogo:

This is Diego of Debonair Dogo's, the best looking dogo i have ever seen:

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2006, 01:27:06 AM »
this is the dog i want to sire my dogo:

i've heard that if you get him drunk, he'll do whatever you want.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2006, 01:27:49 AM »
i've heard that if you get him drunk, he'll do whatever you want.

I thought that was Kamali?

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2006, 01:32:44 AM »
I thought that was Kamali?

yes, but the beer goes straight to Kamali's gut . . . whereas the dogo's managed to keep a small waist. must be an ironager. 

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2006, 01:39:42 AM »
Dogos are bigger than Zane though...  Ironagers wouldn't approve of that.  WASP WAIST BABY!

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2006, 05:01:52 AM »
Whats a dogo?

fathead

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2006, 05:04:06 AM »
I've had 3 Olympia,Pink and Dorian.     Best dogs ever!!

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2006, 05:14:54 AM »
You bastards better not even get me started. If anyone says ignorant shit I am getting my statistics and temperment scores from credible sources. I will make this bitch 400 pages!!!! The idiots who abuse these wonderful animals and turn them into weapons should be punished not the dog!
100% agreed!

PB

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2006, 06:18:38 AM »
I've had 3 Olympia,Pink and Dorian.     Best dogs ever!!

Dogos?