Author Topic: Poll: Most Americans see lingering racism -- in others  (Read 8656 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Poll: Most Americans see lingering racism -- in others
« on: December 12, 2006, 10:59:49 AM »
I'm shocked.  Not.  

Poll: Most Americans see lingering racism -- in others
POSTED: 1:02 p.m. EST, December 12, 2006

(CNN) -- Most Americans, white and black, see racism as a lingering problem in the United States, and many say they know people who are racist, according to a new poll.

But few Americans of either race -- just one out of eight -- consider themselves racist.

And experts say racism has evolved from the days of Jim Crow to the point that people may not even recognize it in themselves. (Watch people in a Texas town where blacks are still afraid to stop )

A poll conducted last week by Opinion Research Corp. for CNN indicates that whites and blacks disagree on how serious a problem racial bias is in the United States.

Almost half of black respondents to the poll -- 49 percent -- said racism is a "very serious" problem, while 18 percent of whites shared that view. Forty-eight percent of whites and 35 percent of blacks chose the description "somewhat serious."

Asked if they know someone they consider racist, 43 percent of whites and 48 percent of blacks said yes.

But just 13 percent of whites and 12 percent of blacks consider themselves racially biased.

Professor Jack Dovidio of the University of Connecticut, who has researched racism for more than 30 years, estimates up to 80 percent of white Americans have racist feelings they may not even recognize.

"We've reached a point that racism is like a virus that has mutated into a new form that we don't recognize," Dovidio said.

He added that 21st-century racism is different from that of the past.

"Contemporary racism is not conscious, and it is not accompanied by dislike, so it gets expressed in indirect, subtle ways," he said.

That "stealth" discrimination reveals itself in many different situations.

A three-year undercover investigation by the National Fair Housing Alliance found that real estate agents steered whites away from integrated neighborhoods and steered blacks in to predominantly black neighborhoods.

Racism also can be a factor in getting a job.

Candidates named Emily O'Brien or Neil McCarthy were much more likely to get calls back from potential employers than applicants named Tamika Williams and Jamal Jackson, even though they had the same credentials, according to a study by the University of Chicago.

Racial bias may even determine whether you can flag a cab.

New York Times writer Calvin Sims wrote a recent article about all the cabdrivers that refused to stop for him.

"If a cab passes you by, obviously it is frustrating, it's degrading and it's just really confusing, because this is akin to being in the South and being refused service at a lunch counter, which is what happened in the 60s and 70s," he said.

Victimized
The Opinion Research poll shows that blacks and whites disagree on how each race feels about the other.

Asked how many whites dislike blacks, 40 percent of black respondents said "all" or "many." Twenty-six percent of whites chose one of those replies.

On the question of how many blacks dislike whites, 33 percent of blacks said "all" or "many," while 38 percent of whites agreed -- a wash because of the poll's 5 percent margin of error.

About half of black respondents said they had been a victim of discrimination because of their race. A little more than a quarter of whites said they had been victims of racial discrimination.

The poll was based on phone interviews conducted December 5 through Thursday with 1,207 Americans, including 328 blacks and 703 non-Hispanic whites.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/12/12/racism.poll/index.html

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
Re: Poll: Most Americans see lingering racism -- in others
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 11:06:52 AM »
i'm sick of black people yelling racism every chance they get

i'm sick of pakistani and indian people screaming racism every chance they get and blaming 911

carpe` vaginum!

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 11:07:58 AM »
I think its more black culture than black people that whites have a problem with.  If people see a black guy wearing ghetto clothes and talking like a moron/ ebonics, they're more likely to be a bit wary around him even if he's the nicest guy in the world.  If a black guy comes into a store wearing jeans and a t-shirt, and talks normally, white people wouldn't think much of it.  If blacks want to change racism they need to take responsibility for a large aspect of their culture that promotes an image concious "tough" mentality.

Now i know some people are going to say "oh, well you just want them to be white people and wear white people clothing, and speak like a white person... etc etc etc...."

I am all for black culture, but i do not understand why such a large part of it includes violence and public image.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 11:24:13 AM »
I think its more black culture than black people that whites have a problem with.  If people see a black guy wearing ghetto clothes and talking like a moron/ ebonics, they're more likely to be a bit wary around him even if he's the nicest guy in the world.  If a black guy comes into a store wearing jeans and a t-shirt, and talks normally, white people wouldn't think much of it.  If blacks want to change racism they need to take responsibility for a large aspect of their culture that promotes an image concious "tough" mentality.

Now i know some people are going to say "oh, well you just want them to be white people and wear white people clothing, and speak like a white person... etc etc etc...."

I am all for black culture, but i do not understand why such a large part of it includes violence and public image.

That's a big part of it.

Blacks need to stop acting like fvcking idiots.
Whether it's thier culture or not.....It looks, and sounds, stupid and offensive.

Perfect example......i hired a black dude as a helper a few months ago.

So the first day I go to pick him up he comes out of his house looking like fvcking Lil' Jon with the doorag,baseball hat, and idiotic sunglasses. When i told him to take that shit off because it is completely unprofessional he got bent out of shape.

After 2 days of him going "woo-woo.....what's poppin sweetie?" non-stop into his boost phone talking to his "girls", he was done.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 11:26:12 AM »
I think its more black culture than black people that whites have a problem with.  If people see a black guy wearing ghetto clothes and talking like a moron/ ebonics, they're more likely to be a bit wary around him even if he's the nicest guy in the world.  If a black guy comes into a store wearing jeans and a t-shirt, and talks normally, white people wouldn't think much of it.  If blacks want to change racism they need to take responsibility for a large aspect of their culture

BINGO!
Ron: "I am lazy."

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 11:28:38 AM »
I think its more black culture than black people that whites have a problem with.  If people see a black guy wearing ghetto clothes and talking like a moron/ ebonics, they're more likely to be a bit wary around him even if he's the nicest guy in the world.  If a black guy comes into a store wearing jeans and a t-shirt, and talks normally, white people wouldn't think much of it.  If blacks want to change racism they need to take responsibility for a large aspect of their culture that promotes an image concious "tough" mentality.

only american (most not all) are stuck in the ebonics culture...

the rest of the black world isn't like that... most Africans talk proper and dress proper and actually have impeccable taste. Most Africans dont associate with american blacks..
carpe` vaginum!

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 11:32:48 AM »

the rest of the black world isn't like that... most Africans talk proper and dress proper and actually have impeccable taste. Most Africans dont associate with american blacks..

oh, you are completely correct.  I'm always amazed at the way white people respond to a black person with a british accent.  Its so substantially different to the way that they would respond to your average black person.  Its amazing.

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 11:38:28 AM »
oh, you are completely correct.  I'm always amazed at the way white people respond to a black person with a british accent.  Its so substantially different to the way that they would respond to your average black person.  Its amazing.

i did my O and A levels at a brit skool

i had a heavy one when i moved to the US

most americans expect brownies to sound like apu lol...

my emglish accentl is almost gone..except when i'm drunk or angry... :-\
carpe` vaginum!

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 11:48:46 AM »

It's a shame a lot of nice and hard working Africans have to be put into the same mold as African Americans. It's unfortunate that a lot of Africans come to the states and fall under the influence of the whole hip-hop garbage.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 11:57:55 AM »
Victimized
The Opinion Research poll shows that blacks and whites disagree on how each race feels about the other.

Asked how many whites dislike blacks, 40 percent of black respondents said "all" or "many." Twenty-six percent of whites chose one of those replies.

On the question of how many blacks dislike whites, 33 percent of blacks said "all" or "many," while 38 percent of whites agreed -- a wash because of the poll's 5 percent margin of error.

About half of black respondents said they had been a victim of discrimination because of their race. A little more than a quarter of whites said they had been victims of racial discrimination.

These results don't surprise me much.  Did they say why each group felt this way?   ::)
Squishy face retard

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 11:59:39 AM »
So the first day I go to pick him up he comes out of his house looking like fvcking Lil' Jon with the doorag,baseball hat, and idiotic sunglasses. When i told him to take that shit off because it is completely unprofessional he got bent out of shape.

After 2 days of him going "woo-woo.....what's poppin sweetie?" non-stop into his boost phone talking to his "girls", he was done.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH!!!
S

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006, 12:02:44 PM »

Why would you even give a chance to a jackass like that to begin with? It's shit like that and affirmative action that decrease economic equity by giving morons chances.

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2006, 12:19:15 PM »
Geez...I can remember saying all these things and being called a...what's the word?

You guys all bring up valid points that people really need to accept for Americans to understand each other.
Squishy face retard

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2006, 12:33:29 PM »
Who doesn't love spooks, spics, yommers, nips and kikes? I know I do!  ::)

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2006, 12:36:18 PM »
Who doesn't love spooks, spics, yommers, nips and kikes? I know I do!  ::)
Haha.  I know Chris Rock does.
Squishy face retard

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2006, 12:39:23 PM »
Haha.  I know Chris Rock does.

hahahaha yes! I forgot sand nigs by the way.  :o

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2006, 02:06:59 PM »
Why would you even give a chance to a jackass like that to begin with? It's shit like that and affirmative action that decrease economic equity by giving morons chances.

"give a chance" y'now?

It was a favor to a friend, but that only goes so far.

muscleforlife

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2006, 12:34:25 PM »
you know, not all black people are from the ghetto.  Even for some of us that are, we are educated and speak English quite well.  The funny thing is how the whole rap/hip hop culture has inundated the globe.

Like it or not young people from many nations are emulating the hip hop culture.

I love the hip hop culture, but I don't wear my clothes baggy unless Im working out.  I don't get my done with fake weaves or nails 4 inches long.

Even the when David Dinkins was Mayor of NYC, he passed over by cab drivers.
Some people have automatic presumptions about a person because of the color of their skin.
That goes for all of the races.

Sandra

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2006, 02:24:43 PM »

Cap

• Getbig V
Squishy face retard

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2006, 09:51:49 PM »
I see lingering racism in myself ;)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2006, 10:48:44 PM »
I think there is lots of racism, but I feel it's more blacks hating whites than the other way around.

muscleforlife

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2006, 11:41:01 AM »
Why?
That is the culture I grew up in before it became all about "the  bitches,the bricks, the benjis, gangbanging, "etc
You would go to a neighborhood park where a DJ plugged his equipment into a streetlight outlet...two turntables and a microphone.  People would show up dance, laugh and have a great time.

Believe it or not, there are still groups out there that aren't all about that.
Wycleff jean  and Dwele are two artists that come to mind.

Hip hop culture is a genre where people who had nothing turned it into something and made the world stand up and take notice.
I don't agree with all of it, but there is good and bad in everything.

Sandra

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2006, 11:50:02 AM »
That's a big part of it.

Blacks need to stop acting like fvcking idiots.
Whether it's thier culture or not.....It looks, and sounds, stupid and offensive.

HAHAHA...Was he wearing a Grill too?

What's poppin sweetie?! classic...
footloose and fancy free

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2006, 12:08:21 PM »
Im reading this getting mad as hell. There is a phrase (im not sure where we got it from) "perception is reality" . I went to an ALL black College, MOREHOUSE. 3000 Black men. No one talked like that baffonary you see on the flava flav show. But dignified blacks are not what you wanna see when you turn on the tv. Because dignity was the last thing that was light blacks were to be shown in. Shit like "birth of a nation" "amos and andy" cemented americas view of blacks and what there place was. Now there are many dignified blacks but not many on TV. And the TV is what shapes americans minds (blacks and whites) oh what blacks should be like. Just my opinion. Could be wrong.