Author Topic: All isolation work for bi's?  (Read 2261 times)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
All isolation work for bi's?
« on: December 13, 2006, 06:39:17 AM »
Am I missing out on something if I only perform concentration and preacher curls or one arm cable curls instead of super heavy barbell curls?  ???

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
Re: All isolation work for bi's?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 06:41:22 AM »
Yes...

Heavy Compound movements build the most muscle IMO.

8)

smaul

• Getbig IV
  • Lets build some hurting bombs!
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 07:55:36 AM »
Definitely need to do heavy bicep curls, either dumbell or barbell, preferably barbell.
It hasn't helped...

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 07:57:40 AM »
Am I missing out on something if I only perform concentration and preacher curls or one arm cable curls instead of super heavy barbell curls?  ???

yes.
nasser=piece of shit

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 08:07:11 AM »
straight barbell curls brother...not the easy curl bar either...straight heavy, good form curls...good form meaning no swinging, no body english to get the weight up..
footloose and fancy free

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 09:07:21 AM »
straight barbell curls brother...not the easy curl bar either...

What in your view is the advantage of the straight bar over the EZ bar?

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 09:15:19 AM »

You have to decide for yourself if there's a difference in how they hit the bis; having the hand turned the emphasis is shifted somewhat off the bis and towards the brachialis but you have to decide. How much that matters seems to vary by individual.

If you want to use a straight bar but have wrist pain, try standing cable curls. Less wrist stress, just as good for size as BB. Or use dumbbells or E-Z curl.

Standing barbell/cable curls & preacher curls are the 2 best size builders; both are isolations. Cheat a few reps at the end of the set. Also worth trying a compound sometimes, such as chins.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 09:19:22 AM »
You have to decide for yourself it there's a difference in how intensely each hits the bis; essentially by having the hand turned the emphasis is shifted somewhat off the bis and towards the brachialis. How much that matters seems to vary by individual. If there's pain from straight bar curls try either cables, DBs or an E-Z curl bar.

Barbell or cable curls should be done sometimes as a substitute for preacher curls. Standing and preacher curls are the two best size builders. Cheat a few reps at the end of the set.

Thanks for the input.  I think I'll try to mix it up a bit with some of both.

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 06:49:58 PM »

i've used both but i feel the straight bar works the bicep better...i guess it mainly is how one feels personally but for me..strict form with a straight bar worked the biceps harder...and gave me more size...as pumpster said it's up to the individual..but try it out..go strict and slow and see where that gets you..
footloose and fancy free

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 08:59:42 PM »
For greater influence on the biceps you might start with the close curl grip chin, immediately followed by the BB curl. Feel free to cheat a bit on the curl. Cheating, with control (not to the point of reverse cleaning the bar) can be very rewarding for most. This form of SS'ing can be a mass builder. Heavy BB curls can give the advantage of building size rather quickly but other DB exercise do have their place in any arm program. The incline DB curl is another builder that comes to mind.

One of the few BB curling movement that seems to affect the biceps more directly  is when bending over at the waist, almost to a 90 degree angle. The bar should be hanging freely at the starting position and than curl the bar up to the face area. Keep the elbows out and away from the body throughout the full motion of the exercise. Can get a favorable muscle cramp, hitting the biceps from a total different angle.

An EZ bar allows less strain on the wrist and forearms for a lot of people. But, to me, it's more like six of one and half a dozen of the other.  Another EZ bar exercise that also works well is to position the hands wide, medium and close grip (6") and curl two set's in each position. Attacks the biceps from different angles . The reverse BB curl, either straight or EZ bar is a fine exercise also. Good Luck.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 04:54:25 AM »
I no longer use EZ curl bar or straight bar for biceps.

I've had much better results using cable curls with an EZ bar.

Best thing to do is take a wide grip and knock out 12 reps with the heaviest weight you can handle, then immediately drop the weight slightly and change immediately to a close grip and knock out another twelve reps. Do this for three sets reducing the weight slightly each time - it's a killer but it blows out your biceps like nothing else will. End the workout by doing machine preacher curls and dumbell hammer curls - best biceps workout I've ever found.

I shouldn't have to mention this but using a wide grip on the cable curls works the inner biceps (the bigger head and belly of the muscle) and using a close grip works the outer biceps (essential for peak).

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2006, 03:04:00 PM »
I've had much better results using cable curls with an EZ bar.

I recently bough the EZ curl attachment for cable curls.  Worth every penny.  I also use it on tricep cacle exercises to rpovide some variation on the angles of the wrist.

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2006, 02:37:47 AM »
If you want size,
start controling your own bodyweight first,
that's a challenge for over 90%.

Chins.

Other exercise that's a killer,
deadlifts.

Curls and other exercises give you that little extra, the biggest improvements are made with your own bodyweight.