Author Topic: The 5 Fundamentals of the Christian Faith  (Read 7401 times)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
The 5 Fundamentals of the Christian Faith
« on: December 17, 2006, 08:03:24 PM »
1. The Authority of the Scripture.  The Bible is the inerrant word of God and the final authority

2. The deity of Jesus Christ.  Jesus is GOD.

3. Substitutionary Atonement.  Jesus died for our sins

4. The bodily resurrection.  Jesus rose again, physically.

5. The second coming.  Jesus is coming back.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Re: The 5 Fundamentals of the Christian Faith
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 08:29:10 PM »
1. The Authority of the Scripture.  The Bible is the inerrant word of God and the final authority

3. Substitutionary Atonement.  Jesus died for our sins

4. The bodily resurrection.  Jesus rose again, physically.

5. The second coming.  Jesus is coming back.

Please show in scripure where Jesus does not say he'll come in the lifetimes of the people he said that to.

Count Grishnackh

• Getbig III
  • The easiest person to deceive is one's own self
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 09:16:40 PM »

How so, when it was written by a bunch of people who had never even met Jesus?

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 09:39:51 PM »

People have been buying b.s. since the dawn of time.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 03:33:28 AM »

This sums christianity up pretty acurately.

What you have written there, are the 5 fundamentals of the roman-catholic church, and nothing else.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 04:48:18 AM »
What you have written there, are the 5 fundamentals of the roman-catholic church, and nothing else.

No.  The Roman Catholic Church does not agree with #1.  They teach that the Roman Catholic Church is the final authority, and not the Bible.

Here lately, people have been saying a lot about Christian Fundamentalists, most of it negative and condescending talk.  The funny thing is that most of these people who talk about fundamentalists, don't even know what a fundamentalist is.

A Christian fundamentalist is one who believes in these 5, knows why he/she believes in them and will stand steadfast to them and not compromise on a single one of them.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 05:09:42 AM »

1.  Personally, when I decided to start reading the Bible on my own and I applied what I learned to my own life, my life improved tremendously.  My relationships, my health, my finances, my whole outlook in life and my attitude toward my troubles improved tremendously.  And I wasn't even a Christian then.  Once I became a Christian, things got even better.  I have also seen throughout my life many people have the same experience once they decided to read the Bible on their own and applied what they learned to their life.

2. Faith.  The Bible says that the Bible is the word of GOD and I believe it.

"For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost" 2 Peter 1:21

"All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness" 2 Timothy 3:16

3.  Fulfilled Prophecy.  The Bible is the only religious book that contains fulfilled prophecy.  Some of it has already been fulfilled throughout history, even in our own generation.
http://www.100prophecies.org/

4. Checkable Biblical Accuracy
http://www.doesgodexist.org/Charts/CheckableBiblicalAccuracy.html

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 05:21:15 AM »

Agreed...like that b.s. about Eve having sex with Satan, the serpent representing Adam's penis and the forbidden fruit representing sex. ;D

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 06:39:38 AM »

Some of them had met him.. and lived "with" Him during His ministry.  Matthew, John, Peter etc....and James is believed to be His half-brother.

R

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 06:41:18 AM »

How do you know this?  Yours is only speculation.  Nobody can prove that the Gospels were not written by people who met Jesus and witnessed first hand all of his miracles, people who saw him with their own eyes after he rose again.  

We know that the gospels were written before 70 AD, within only 40 years of Jesus' crucifixion.  We know that the gospel according to John was written by John.  He met Jesus, witnessed all of his miracles and saw him with his own eyes after he rose again.  Who is to say that the witting of the gospels did not start immediately after Jesus' resurrection, but wasn't completed until a decade later?  All we have today are copies that we know may or may not have been "copied" 10, 30, 40 years later.  If we find a copy today that was "copied" in 300 AD, that does not mean that the gospels were written in 300 AD.

Here is a conspiracy theory:  Because the Bible contradicts a lot of the The Roman Catholic Church teachings, around 400 AD the Catholic church outlawed the reading of the Bible by anyone who wasn't a church leader.  The Bible was translated from the Hebrew and Creek languages into Latin, and many of the Bibles that were not in Latin at that time were destroyed or hidden by the church.  Either the Catholic church has the original gospels today, or they simply destroyed them at that time.

I choose to accept by faith that the gospels are true, and by personal experience, they are true.  What you believe, given the evidence or lack there of on both sides is your choice.

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2006, 07:11:44 AM »
1. Accepting Jesus as your savior
2. Accepting Jesus as your savior
3. Accepting Jesus as your savior
4. Accepting Jesus as your savior
5. Accepting Jesus as your savior

If you get the time baptism and communion are a good idea.

You might want to speak for all faiths when you make posts.
Here is the Evangelical Lutheran Perspective on the Bible.
The Bible’s authority rests in God
At the same time, we also find in the Bible human emotion, testimony, opinion, cultural limitation and bias.  ELCA Lutherans recognize that human testimony and writing are related to and often limited by culture, customs and world view.  Today we know that the earth is not flat and that rabbits do not chew their cud (Leviticus 11:6 ).  These are examples of time-bound cultural understandings or practices.  Christians do not follow biblically prescribed dietary laws such as eliminating pork from one’s diet (Leviticus 11:7) because the new covenant we have with God has replaced the Old Testament covenant God had with his people.  Because Biblical writers, editors and compilers were limited by their times and world views, even as we are, the Bible contains material wedded to those times and places.  It also means that writers sometimes provide differing and even contradictory views of God’s word, ways and will.

http://www.elca.org/questions/Results.asp?recid=16
Z

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006, 09:07:10 AM »
1. Accepting Jesus as your savior
2. Accepting Jesus as your savior
3. Accepting Jesus as your savior
4. Accepting Jesus as your savior
5. Accepting Jesus as your savior

These 5 Fundamentals of the Christian Faith that I posted are what make a Christian a fundamentalist.  They are not necessarily meant to establish what makes a Christian saved.  Accepting Jesus as your savior is what saves you. 

You might want to speak for all faiths when you make posts.

Not sure what you mean here.  What are you saying?

At the same time, we also find in the Bible human emotion, testimony, opinion, cultural limitation and bias.  ELCA Lutherans recognize that human testimony and writing are related to and often limited by culture, customs and world view.  Today we know that the earth is not flat and that rabbits do not chew their cud (Leviticus 11:6 ).  These are examples of time-bound cultural understandings or practices.  Christians do not follow biblically prescribed dietary laws such as eliminating pork from one’s diet (Leviticus 11:7) because the new covenant we have with God has replaced the Old Testament covenant God had with his people.  Because Biblical writers, editors and compilers were limited by their times and world views, even as we are, the Bible contains material wedded to those times and places.  It also means that writers sometimes provide differing and even contradictory views of God’s word, ways and will.

You may be a Christian, but you are not a fundamentalist.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2006, 09:28:06 AM »
1.  Personally, when I decided to start reading the Bible on my own and I applied what I learned to my own life, my life improved tremendously.  My relationships, my health, my finances, my whole outlook in life and my attitude toward my troubles improved tremendously.  And I wasn't even a Christian then.  Once I became a Christian, things got even better.  I have also seen throughout my life many people have the same experience once they decided to read the Bible on their own and applied what they learned to their life.

2. Faith.  The Bible says that the Bible is the word of GOD and I believe it.

"For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost" 2 Peter 1:21

"All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness" 2 Timothy 3:16

3.  Fulfilled Prophecy.  The Bible is the only religious book that contains fulfilled prophecy.  Some of it has already been fulfilled throughout history, even in our own generation.
http://www.100prophecies.org/

4. Checkable Biblical Accuracy
http://www.doesgodexist.org/Charts/CheckableBiblicalAccuracy.html
Loco, thanks for sharing your testimony.  Man, that's some powerful stuff.  I haven't been online in a while, but I just wanted to tell you that I appreciate the folks that remain steadfast in their belief of our Almighty God.  It's the least we can do for all that Jesus withstood for us.  Good stuff, man. 

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2006, 09:32:50 AM »
Loco, thanks for sharing your testimony.  Man, that's some powerful stuff.  I haven't been online in a while, but I just wanted to tell you that I appreciate the folks that remain steadfast in their belief of our Almighty God.  It's the least we can do for all that Jesus withstood for us.  Good stuff, man. 

Thanks Colossus!

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2006, 10:06:18 AM »
These 5 Fundamentals of the Christian Faith that I posted are what make a Christian a fundamentalist.  They are not necessarily meant to establish what makes a Christian saved.  Accepting Jesus as your savior is what saves a person. 

Jehovah's Witnesses believe
"Jesus is literally the only begotten Son of God, and received his life from God. He is the means through whom to approach God in prayer, and is the "Chief Agent of life" and salvation for all worthy mankind."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah%27s_Witness#Overview
Yet they do not consider themselves Christians, let alone fundamentalists.

Not sure what you mean here.  What are you saying?

You may be a Christian, but you are not a fundamentalist.

I am say in that your title is misleading. Your title should read 5 things fundamentalists believe.

Evangelical Lutheran and United Churches are not as strict about many of your tenants.
For example I don't believe in the deity of Christ. I believe in the Trinity, Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
I believe the Word of God is in the Bible, but I don't believe that the bible is a literal interpretation of God's Word.
I also believe that I am saved through Christ alone.

Those 5 items are not what makes someone a Christian.
Z

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2006, 10:06:30 AM »
Agreed...like that b.s. about Eve having sex with Satan, the serpent representing Adam's penis and the forbidden fruit representing sex. ;D

That's certainly no less plausible than the concept of a 'virgin' giving birth to a guy who just so happened to be the son of god while simultaneously being the son of mankind.  

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2006, 10:26:31 AM »
I am say in that your title is misleading. Your title should read 5 things fundamentalists believe.

I disagree. 

Evangelical Lutheran and United Churches are not as strict about many of your tenants.
For example I don't believe in the deity of Christ. I believe in the Trinity, Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
I believe the Word of God is in the Bible, but I don't believe that the bible is a literal interpretation of God's Word.

Then you have drifted away from some Christian, fundamental beliefs.  What will be next?  That Christ is not the only way to salvation, but that there are many other ways?  You have to stand for something, or you will fall for anything. 

So do I

Those 5 items are not what makes someone a Christian.

I never said that they are that.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2006, 10:29:55 AM »
That's certainly no less plausible than the concept of a 'virgin' giving birth to a guy who just so happened to be the son of god while simultaneously being the son of mankind.

If you really feel this way, then why not believe the other, that Jesus was born of a virgin?

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2006, 10:45:07 AM »

I disagree. 

Then you have drifted away from some Christian, fundamental beliefs.  What will be next?  That Christ is not the only way to salvation, but that there are many other ways?  You have to stand for something, or you will fall for anything. 

So do I

I never said that they are that.

I believe the word of God is in the bible and the bible contains the holy spirit, but I don't believe that it inerrant. Many evangelic churches agree with me.

There is only one God. Made up of three parts, Father, Son and holy spirit.

As a Christian I haven't drifted from anything. I am not a fundamentalist. These views were first presented by Martin Luther at around 1530.
You claim to know what God has planned. I don't.
Z

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2006, 11:31:44 AM »
If you really feel this way, then why not believe the other, that Jesus was born of a virgin?

I don't think artificial insemination existed back in those days.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2006, 12:10:06 PM »
There is only one God. Made up of three parts, Father, Son and holy spirit.

I agree, and Jesus and the Father are one.  I believe in only one God too.  I believe in the Trinity too.

I am not a fundamentalist.

I know.

These views were first presented by Martin Luther at around 1530.

Martin Luther was cool.  I don't agree with every single thing he believed, but I still think he was cool. ;D

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2006, 12:25:40 PM »

a_joker10,
I commend you for your faith in Jesus Christ and I thank God for your salvation!

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2006, 12:27:25 PM »
Please show in scripure where Jesus does not say he'll come in the lifetimes of the people he said that to.

Please show me where in the scripture Jesus says that.

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2006, 04:39:34 PM »

And being born in Bethlahem, not Nazareth. 
Of course....Mary and Joseph were in Bethlahem for the Census, as they were to go to the city they were born in, to be counted.  Even though all records of Roman text show Augustus would never think for a second about making people go back to the city of their birth to be taxed and counted. 
It makes no sense in any way, as it is much easier to track people where they live, and it is much easier to tax people in that manner. 

But, of course, Roman text is wrong, and a few people who wrote second or third hand accounts 70-100 years after Jesus' death are correct.
Even though he was Jesus of Nazareth, and not Jesus of Bethlahem
Y

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2006, 08:15:49 PM »
a_joker10,
I commend you for your faith in Jesus Christ and I thank God for your salvation!
Peace be with you.
Z