Author Topic: Top ten Boxers of all time?  (Read 5001 times)

Dredlock Rasta

• Getbig III
  • Can't trust shadows after dark
Top ten Boxers of all time?
« on: January 12, 2007, 06:53:16 AM »
Who do ya'll think? Mine are as follows:

1. Muhammad Ali
2. Sugar Ray Robinson
3. Roberto Duran
4. Marvin Hagler
5. Sugar Ray Leonard
6. Carlos Monzon
7. Oscar De La Hoya
8. Roy Jones Jr.
9. Mike Tyson
10. Rocky Marciano
Don't let em fool ya

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
Re: Top ten Boxers of all time?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 11:38:42 AM »
I would have to rank Tyson a little higher up the list... Even though he tarnished his great achivements with stupid shit like the cocaine bust. The prison time. The ear incident. Tyson in the last 8 years runined tyson from being top 3... But the man was a great... Extreme power. Can cut angles like nobody else... He is my favorite and when Cus was around the kid was untouchable.

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 05:58:16 PM »
Where's Holyfield? He was way better than Tyson. This list sucks.
TEAM REPTILIAN

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 07:31:36 PM »
1. Muhammed Ali (Just because of his charisma really)
2. Rocky Marciano (The only undefeated heavyweight)
3. Mike Tyson (Because of his charisma more than his skills)
4. Holyfield (fantastic Boxer)
5. James J. Jeffries
6. Jack Johnson
7. Jack Dempsey
8. Max Baer
9. George Foreman

TEAM REPTILIAN

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 08:03:41 PM »
1. Muhammad Ali (Just because of his charisma really)
2. Rocky Marciano (The only undefeated heavyweight)
3. Mike Tyson (Because of his charisma more than his skills)
4. Holyfield (fantastic Boxer)
5. James J. Jeffries
6. Jack Johnson
7. Jack Dempsey
8. Max Baer
9. George Foreman

I would never have Rocky that high up he was undefeated, But his competition was very watered down....Back then, they threw anybody in the ring....He was great for his time but he would've been destroyed against any other heavy weight of our time or a little after his time....

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 08:30:52 PM »
Pure speculation. They didn't "throw anybody in there."

Besides, my list is based on cultural impact/popularity as much as skill.
TEAM REPTILIAN

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 10:18:55 PM »
I would have to rank Tyson a little higher up the list... Even though he tarnished his great achivements with stupid shit like the cocaine bust. The prison time. The ear incident. Tyson in the last 8 years runined tyson from being top 3... But the man was a great... Extreme power. Can cut angles like nobody else... He is my favorite and when Cus was around the kid was untouchable.

oh brother ::)

E
E

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 01:19:31 AM »
oh brother ::)

E

Earl lets not start arguing over Tyson again......

Dredlock Rasta

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 08:24:02 AM »
I would never have Rocky that high up he was undefeated, But his competition was very watered down....Back then, they threw anybody in the ring....He was great for his time but he would've been destroyed against any other heavy weight of our time or a little after his time....

Why only heavyweights? I forgot to add Julio Cesar Chavez, I'd put in 8th. The man went undefeated in 90 plus fights becoming the champion in three weight divisions simultaneously.
Don't let em fool ya

Your MAAAAaaaa

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • GETBIGS MINISTER OF SEXUAL HEALTH
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 09:42:42 AM »
Where's Holyfield? He was way better than Tyson. This list sucks.

Holyfield was great but a prime Tyson would have slaughtered him IMo.

btw, Evander is on the comeback trail again!! This guy will die in the ring if he is not careful!

TA TA
Pm me for STI advice @ NO COST

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2007, 10:51:15 AM »
1. Sugar Ray Robinson
2. Muhammad Ali
3. Joe Louis
4. Sugar Ray Leonard
5. Roberto Duran
6. Willie Pep
7. Jack Johnson
8. Jack Dempsey
9. Rocky Marciano
10. Archie Moore

Honorable Mention: Henry Armstrong, Marvin Hagler, Roy Jones Jr, Evander Holyfield, Julio Caesar Chavez and Pernell Whitaker.

slacker

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 08:18:58 PM »
Who do ya'll think? Mine are as follows:

1. Muhammad Ali
2. Sugar Ray Robinson
3. Roberto Duran
4. Marvin Hagler
5. Sugar Ray Leonard
6. Carlos Monzon
7. Oscar De La Hoya
8. Roy Jones Jr.
9. Mike Tyson
10. Rocky Marciano
[/quote

all the black ones
I

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007, 08:24:31 PM »
No one puts lennox lewis up there?

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2007, 10:27:44 PM »
Holyfield was great but a prime Tyson would have slaughtered him IMo.

btw, Evander is on the comeback trail again!! This guy will die in the ring if he is not careful!

TA TA

No he wouldn't. Holyfield wasn't even in his prime the two times they fought and he slaughtered Tyson. It's amazing how the Tyson worshippers will even claim he better than people he lost to twice. Oh brother. Overrated.
TEAM REPTILIAN

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2007, 11:44:14 PM »
If Holyfield fought Tyson in the mid to late 80's and even until his imprisonment he would have killed Holyfield.  Tyson let allot of outside shit bother him in the ring.  A Between his wife and his corner people and management he was fucked up.  He should have kept Kevin Rooney all along.  Once he got those ignorant black guys in his corner that knew nothing about boxing his career was shit

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2007, 10:09:41 AM »
No one puts lennox lewis up there?

No way in hell Lennox Lewis get put on any top ten greatest fighter list...... It would be complete blasphamey

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2007, 09:25:03 PM »
If Holyfield fought Tyson in the mid to late 80's and even until his imprisonment he would have killed Holyfield.  Tyson let allot of outside shit bother him in the ring.  A Between his wife and his corner people and management he was fucked up.  He should have kept Kevin Rooney all along.  Once he got those ignorant black guys in his corner that knew nothing about boxing his career was shit

Oh please.

An old Holyfield completely outboxed and outclassed him twice. Usually, you're come up with some good stuff Onlyme, but this time you sound like the other blind Tyson fans.
TEAM REPTILIAN

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2007, 12:15:29 AM »
Assuming everyone is at their all-time very best, pound-for-pound is taken into account, and based on:

1: Punching power;
2: Accuracy and impressiveness of combinations; 
3: Footwork, lateral movement, and use of ring;
4: Handspeed;
5: Defense and counterpunching;
6: Toughness;
7: Stamina;
8: Will/Heart/Lack of quit in fighter

1) Muhammad Ali (1: 9; 2: 10; 3: 10; 4: 10; 5: 9; 6: 10; 7: 10; 8: 10) - Total: 78/80     

...If anyone disagrees with this assessment or proposes a superior formula, please feel free to share.

During his day, he wasn't a top five punching power heavyweight.  I would rate his power a 7.5.  Other than that
I think your assesment is right on. 

My top two boxers are Ali and Sugar Ray Robinson. 

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2007, 12:45:23 AM »
Oh please.

An old Holyfield completely outboxed and outclassed him twice. Usually, you're come up with some good stuff Onlyme, but this time you sound like the other blind Tyson fans.

I am saying that after Douglas beat him he was not the same.  He had allot of outside influences that affected his performance.  He let that crap affect him in the ring.  I admit Holyfield outdid him in everything when they fought.  Tyson got his ass handed to him easily.  No doubt about it.  I am saying if they fought back before going to prison and around 87-89 or so Tyson would have won.  tyson had the attitude NO ONE could beat him.  He was dangerous.  When all the shit strated caving in he lost.  He lost that edge he had when he was younger.  And I dont think anyone could have beaten him back then.  Could be wrong (woudln't be the first time) but it's what I think.

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2007, 12:56:27 AM »
I am saying that after Douglas beat him he was not the same.  He had allot of outside influences that affected his performance.  He let that crap affect him in the ring.  I admit Holyfield outdid him in everything when they fought.  Tyson got his ass handed to him easily.  No doubt about it.  I am saying if they fought back before going to prison and around 87-89 or so Tyson would have won.  tyson had the attitude NO ONE could beat him.  He was dangerous.  When all the shit strated caving in he lost.  He lost that edge he had when he was younger.  And I dont think anyone could have beaten him back then.  Could be wrong (woudln't be the first time) but it's what I think.

Fair enough. I disagree though. Tyson was very good, but he was also a lot of hype. Holyfield was just a superior boxer imo. He knew how to use the jab effectively, and wouldn't fall victim to Tyson's game. Who did Tyson fight in the 80s that was really great? Nobody I can think of. Tyson was still in his physical prime when he fought an arguably over-the-hill Holyfield. He didn't have cus in his corner but so what? I mean it's speculation. Potential doesn't mean anything if you don't use it.
TEAM REPTILIAN

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2007, 12:57:29 AM »
Assuming everyone is at their all-time very best, pound-for-pound is taken into account, and based on:

1: Punching power;
2: Accuracy and impressiveness of combinations; 
3: Footwork, lateral movement, and use of ring;
4: Handspeed;
5: Defense and counterpunching;
6: Toughness;
7: Stamina;
8: Will/Heart/Lack of quit in fighter

1) Muhammad Ali (1: 9; 2: 10; 3: 10; 4: 10; 5: 9; 6: 10; 7: 10; 8: 10) - Total: 78/80     

...If anyone disagrees with this assessment or proposes a superior formula, please feel free to share.

I agree with bulldog. His punching power wasn't impressive for a heavyweight. Otherwise, his movement and accuracy was fantastic.
TEAM REPTILIAN

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2007, 01:00:50 AM »

Imagine how Ali would have been had he not lost a couple of years. 

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2007, 04:56:30 AM »
tyson didn't fight to many real fighters and the ones he did fight he got beat.talk about watered down competition.you can count on one hand the fights he had with a boxer with any kind of skill,and I'm not a tyson hater i actually like him.I'm just not delusional about how good he was.and the comments about him and holyfield?forget about it.if they fight ten times in there prime tyson loses nine out of ten times.holyfield is just a better boxer and alot smarter fighter
DAWG

Dredlock Rasta

• Getbig III
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2007, 06:26:21 AM »
tyson didn't fight to many real fighters and the ones he did fight he got beat.talk about watered down competition.you can count on one hand the fights he had with a boxer with any kind of skill,and I'm not a tyson hater i actually like him.I'm just not delusional about how good he was.and the comments about him and holyfield?forget about it.if they fight ten times in there prime tyson loses nine out of ten times.holyfield is just a better boxer and alot smarter fighter

It wasn't that Tyson fought nobody, it's just that he made them look like nobody.
Don't let em fool ya

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2007, 01:29:28 PM »
It wasn't that Tyson fought nobody, it's just that he made them look like nobody.

as much as i wish that were true i disagree.i have every Tyson fight on dvd.(look on ebay if your interested).you would not believe the number of guys that looked and fought and had a fighting record worse than my crack head homeless uncle.i challenge any one to name more than five fighters Tyson fought who offered any kind of real career to boxing.once agin I loved watching tyson fight, Im not hatin just callin it like i see it.
DAWG