Author Topic: Your favorite "bad lift" to watch in the gym  (Read 19353 times)

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
Your favorite "bad lift" to watch in the gym
« on: January 14, 2007, 01:14:09 PM »
Which one and why?

1. 1/2 squat
2. 1/4 squat
3. 1/4 leg press
4. 1/2 leg press
5. power clean barbell curls
6. rounded back deadlifts
7. 1/4 barbell press
8. 1/4 bench press
9. sternum breaking bench press

I'm going with 1/4 squats and bench press.  Way to mess up your joints guys.
Squishy face retard

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
Re: Your favorite "bad lift" to watch in the gym
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 01:17:54 PM »
hahahahaha, i just saw a boyfriend/girlfriend combo in the gym today doing tandem quarter squats in adjoining power racks, the "guy" was using a MASSIVE 245 and the girl was using 135, both were going to the exact same quarter depth.

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 01:19:17 PM »
gottan be the legpress and squats.

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 01:26:14 PM »
You forgot:
10. 1/2 rep upright rows
11. Ass out power squats with 5 plates (lower back warm up)
12. Dumbell pullovers (Using God like momentum in the movement)
13. Sit ups (swaying and swinging like their on a carnival ride)
Sometimes, I think people would be better off staying home and reading a book.
N

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 01:26:58 PM »
You forgot:
10. 1/2 rep upright rows
11. Ass out power squats with 5 plates (lower back warm up)
12. Dumbell pullovers (Using God like momentum in the movement)
13. Sit ups (swaying and swinging like their on a carnival ride)
Sometimes, I think people would be better off staying home and reading a book.
Lol.  Number 11 is funny because they turn into good mornings.
Squishy face retard

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 01:32:55 PM »
half-assed and quarter sqats are my favorite and also quite funny!

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 01:38:01 PM »
 Guys who do side laterals with way too much weight and completely wrong form. They do not do the "poor water from a pitcher" motion,so to speak,they just swing the weight up and back sorta...you know the motion I am talking about..don't really know how to explain it.

Better yet are the ones who do a workout that makes no sense at all.

Bench, then leg curl then abs,then treadmill for a little while,then lat pull,then db bench,then curls etc etc...and then come back the next day and do it again.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 01:40:51 PM »
Guys who do side laterals with way too much weight and completely wrong form. They do not do the "poor water from a pitcher" motion,so to speak,they just swing the weight up and back sorta...you know the motion I am talking about..don't really know how to explain it.

Better yet are the ones who do a workout that makes no sense at all.

Bench, then leg curl then abs,then treadmill for a little while,then lat pull,then db bench,then curls etc etc...and then come back the next day and do it again.

Bertil Fox used to throw up 85lb. db's with the shittiest form you can imagine on side laterals and his delts were huge.

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 01:42:24 PM »
Bertil Fox used to throw up 85lb. db's with the shittiest form you can imagine on side laterals and his delts were huge.
Bertil used to throw up guns in people's faces and they, well, died from gunshot wounds.  ;D
Squishy face retard

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 02:23:11 PM »

I am not talking about Bertil Fox. The guys I am talking about can't get the 85 lb dumbells off of the rack by themselves. ;)   

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 02:53:16 PM »
Without a doubt rounded back back movements, deadlifts and rows being tops, and pulldowns. How is it so hard to do PULLDOWNS correctly? I remember one time, some jackass was training with his kid, kid had to be 13 or so, and this jerk has his kid doing pulldowns to his STOMACH, totally fucking up his rotator cuffs. After a couple sets of agony, the kid sits there rubbing his shoulders and says "dad my shoulders realllllly hurt" and jerkoff #1 says "dont worry son, we'll fix those shoulders. Up the weight, thatll fix'em" OMFG. I actually thought about saying something, so I kept my mouth shut, then about 2 days later theyre in there again, and asshole has his kid doing overhand rows with his back totally, completely rounded, as far as it will go. I make a comment under my breath, but loud enough that he could hear, about how your lats cant contract, and its bad for your spine to do movements like rows with your back rounded, so asshole STARES at me, like he wants to take it outside or something. I ignore him and go to do some small movements for my rotator cuffs, and the fucker comes over and mocks me! I'm just doing my own thing, trying to strengthen my shoulders, and he walks over and starts flailing his arms around like a chicken right behind me! WHAT A JERK. This had to be the biggest jerk i ever saw, and if it weren't for his fat dejected kid sitting there rubbing his back and shoulders in pain, I would've put that idiot in the hospital. Who are these people?!

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 02:59:08 PM »
That's a good one MM.  The partial leg movement guys get up so tough acting like they moved the world and stand next to the weight looking around.  It cracks me up.  8)
Squishy face retard

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007, 03:00:40 PM »
That's a good one MM.  The partial leg movement guys get up so tough acting like they moved the world and stand next to the weight looking around.  It cracks me up.  8)

or they make it a point to slam the plate against the others so everyone will notice they have 4 plates a side on the bar,or whatever they are using. ::)

makes me want to put a 25 on each side in the cage next to them and do "scream squats " just to mock them....but I refrain.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2007, 03:11:08 PM »
My first year of training I worked my way up to 8 plates per side leg presses. I started out with 4 a side after watching some adults men doing it. What a freaking joke!!

just push some weight!

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2007, 03:15:25 PM »
Sometimes I get paranoid that I'm going to end up on someone's gym list :D Not enough weight so I'll end up on Sarcasm's list to much weight and I'll end up on Croatch's list. tank top and I'm on Croatch's list, fill out the tank top and I'm on TA's list... using light weight do to injuries and you're on everyone's list.  It gets extensive... there's the anti-bandanna crowd, anti-flexing if you're not 220+, no noise, pro noise on and on.  I've spent the last year healing a bicep tear felling like a total idiot working up to curling 50lbs... I guarantee I ended up on several people's lists...  at the same time I do understand taking note of the extreme gym absurdities, some things you just can't miss and yes I know there are those fools who absolutely deserve to be on someone's list but unless they really stick out, I don't go looking for them.  I honestly wonder if guys like croatch go into the gym and spot check each member working out with a grimace of semi disapproval.

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2007, 03:17:39 PM »
Sometimes I get paranoid that I'm going to end up on someone's gym list :D Not enough weight so I'll end up on Sarcasm's list to much weight and I'll end up on Croatch's list. tank top and I'm on Croatch's list, fill out the tank top and I'm on TA's list... using light weight do to injuries and you're on everyone's list.  It gets extensive... there's the anti-bandanna crowd, anti-flexing if you're not 220+, no noise, pro noise on and on.  I've spent the last year healing a bicep tear felling like a total idiot working up to curling 50lbs... I guarantee I ended up on several people's lists...  at the same time I do understand taking note of the extreme gym absurdities, some things you just can't miss and yes I know there are those fools who absolutely deserve to be on someone's list but unless they really stick out, I don't go looking for them.  I honestly wonder if guys like croatch go into the gym and spot check each member working out with a grimace of semi disapproval.
Using good form and healing properly are good things.  We're talking about the ego lifters than bench 275 for partial reps and think they are the shit.  Their tris get bigger and chest looks smaller every week.  You know whaddamean?
Squishy face retard

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2007, 03:23:08 PM »
I also gotta say, I miss gym noise, it never really bugged me.  It sounds like a gym...  Yea someone making a total look at me scene, that's always annoying but clanking plates and last rep grunts don't get me bent out of shape.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2007, 03:24:02 PM »
Using good form and healing properly are good things.  We're talking about the ego lifters than bench 275 for partial reps and think they are the shit.  Their tris get bigger and chest looks smaller every week.  You know whaddamean?
yup, I know, but at the same time do you know what I'm saying...

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2007, 03:26:29 PM »
yup, I know, but at the same time do you know what I'm saying...
I know....it can go far but there are some people in the gym you wana berate to their face but know you will get thrown out
Squishy face retard

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2007, 03:30:14 PM »
as an example cap, I remember one time at Gold's in Boise working back, I was to that end of my last set and my form went bye bye as I got about 5 more cheat reps out... then some guy comes over and coaches me on form ::)  Yea, you can go to far with this crap, the gym guru knowitall is almost as bad as the Partials Brigade.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2007, 03:31:58 PM »
I love some of these clowns at the gym.. curls in the squat rack, quarter squats,1 rep max attempts at preacher curls, side laterals with horrible form, standing-in-one-place-pretending-liek-you're-running-with-20 lb dumbells-in-your-hand is also quite funny to watch....monster bicep pump though.
       Yesterday I was watching this guy take this kid around the gym showing him how to do certain exercises. When I entered the gym he was showing him how to do 1-arm db rows standing alsmot upright with his other hand resting on an incline bench set at 70 degrees. After that he walks right over to the squat rack showing the kid how to do BB Curls with perfect form, lol! I can't think of a worst first impression for a noob who has no idea what goes on in a gym  :-\
follow the arrows

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2007, 03:32:21 PM »
I know....it can go far but there are some people in the gym you wana berate to their face but know you will get thrown out
yup, I agree there are, I just try to ignore them for the most part.

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2007, 03:33:43 PM »
as an example cap, I remember one time at Gold's in Boise working back, I was to that end of my last set and my form went by by as I got about 5 more cheat reps out... then some guy comes over and coaches me on form ::)  Yea, you can go to far with this crap, the gym guru knowitall is almost as bad as the Partials Brigade.
Cheat reps at the end are great IMO.  I never listen to trainers.  One told me doing just leg press and deadlifts will build my legs.  The guy had chicken legs too.  I think partial benches and squats are bad for the body, esp the joints.  One thing that bothers me are really skinny guys wearing the "Dennis James" workout shirts.

I love some of these clowns at the gym.. curls in the squat rack,
I fucking hate that shit. 
Squishy face retard

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2007, 03:36:06 PM »
Squats, no doubt.

Has to be the one movement peeps fuck up the most, on a regular basis.
HAHA, RON.....

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2007, 03:40:25 PM »
i saw a very fat guy using a rotary calf machine, with his heals on the platform using it like a leg press machine.  monster cankles, epic inability to read the instructions on the machine.