Author Topic: Is this tank abbot benching clip real??/  (Read 7463 times)

davidpaul

• Getbig V
Is this tank abbot benching clip real??/
« on: January 24, 2007, 05:12:35 AM »
I called bullshit from day one on this legendary footage/

Petrucci

• Getbig IV
  • Team Kratos!!!
Re: Is this tank abbot benching clip real??/
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 05:22:08 AM »
i dont know if this is real, but i know one thing...
when ufc brazil hapenned, brazilian tvs did shows with the fighters, Tank being one of them. They showed him on a gym, doing barbell curls, and he was curling (dont quote me on that, i think it was more or less this...it was a long time ago) 180lbs or close to that for reps! with good form and it looked like he could do more...i remember after that appearance lots of people start to comment on that, even the guy who fought him that day (Pedro Rizzo if im not mistaken) did some interviews and commented on that
 Not the biggest weight ever curled, but for someone who look like Tank its a big number (well, he does have a big structure)
!

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 05:38:53 AM »
I dont know if its 600 but that bar was bending and fake plate wont do that?  :-\
X

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 05:45:58 AM »
I called bullshit from day one on this legendary footage/

I watched him back in the day on the UFC bench that weight. It looked real. The bar bent. The plates clanked. He has short arm and a barrel chest so he doesn't have to press the weight a long way.
The House that Ruth built

SL-Dubbs

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 07:39:28 AM »
I watched him back in the day on the UFC bench that weight. It looked real. The bar bent. The plates clanked. He has short arm and a barrel chest so he doesn't have to press the weight a long way.

There's another clip of him doing 600 or so for 2 reps

I would say it is definitely real

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 07:42:37 AM »
260 kgs???? That easy????
I have my doubts...
S

JimmyTheFish

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 07:42:53 AM »

I lived in Huntington Beach for several years and saw Tank quite a few times in the gym........he is a strong mofo but sloppy lifter, always went big on bench and bounced that shit off his chest................can t confirm 600 tho

warrior_code

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 07:53:29 AM »
I believe it was 405, he admitted(not 100% sure) to two of the plates being fake.   

Dingleberry

• Getbig IV
  • My nuts, your chin, any questions?
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 08:07:14 AM »
Real. The bar doesn't bend like that at 405, or even 495 for that matter. The only time I see the bar bending like that is when guys are squatting heavy weight, like 600'ish. I'm sure he did it, why is it so hard to believe?
tiny-tit bounty hunter

IceCold

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 08:14:32 AM »
i think its been confirmed on another site that some of those weights were fake.

they also showed him curling 150's and doing upright rows with 315.

most strongman and top bbers would have a hard time with that weight.

i think they did that to promote tank - it went with his persona.

also, if he really could bench 600 he wouldnt haven been thrown around so easily by belfort and severn. 
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL ABBOTT (1966-2004)

buffbodz

• Getbig V
  • It's only a board
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 08:15:51 AM »
Looks like a legit bench to me.  Looked like that bar was ready to snap.  He's built like a keg and looks like he benches allot.
6 meals lift heavy and 1/2 hr cardio

cheeksmaliod

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 09:09:47 AM »
two of the plates on each side look different and not having a decent spotter for that large of weight is suspect.  Also and realize I have never bounced 600 pounds off my chest but wouldn't that do a lot of damage.  But Tank seems to be a redneck, beer drinking, gun shooting, no bullshit kind of guy, so if he says its 600 then so be it.

MoralMan

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007, 10:28:13 AM »
Nice bounce! ::)

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2007, 10:36:31 AM »
two of the plates on each side look different and not having a decent spotter for that large of weight is suspect.  Also and realize I have never bounced 600 pounds off my chest but wouldn't that do a lot of damage.  But Tank seems to be a redneck, beer drinking, gun shooting, no bullshit kind of guy, so if he says its 600 then so be it.

Yes the footage is real, bounce or no bounce it's a lot of freaking weight.......yes, you are right about Tank.......I've said it before, he's been 86'd out of just about every bar in Huntington Beach. His problem was he liked to train heavy and had to convince him that kind of training wasn't condusive to UFC fighting!

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2007, 12:09:47 PM »
 ::) Yeah, he almost knocked out Don Fry and won the championship. He doesn't know about UFC fighting.

He said in a recent interview the weight is all real.
TEAM REPTILIAN

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2007, 12:15:08 PM »
::) Yeah, he almost knocked out Don Fry and won the championship. He doesn't know about UFC fighting.

He said in a recent interview the weight is all real.

I didn't say he that he doesn't know about UFC you tard, I said he doesn't know how to train for UFC (Strength train), he knocked out alot of people, but after his little reign he getting his ass kicked......he's a stubborn child of a man and is too stupid to realize when he gets hit...it hurts!

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2007, 12:18:27 PM »
It's real.
a

dylan_dent

• Getbig II
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2007, 12:21:30 PM »
Absolutely. The bar doesnt lie.

D

It's real.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2007, 12:32:47 PM »
it's real.  I want to know how many of you actually have seen fake plates.  I doubt any of you or maybe 1 or 2.  But the way you make it sound, anyone who lifts heavy on a video is using fake plates.  I have trained in at least 200 gyms across the country and I have never seen a fake plate anywhere but Gold's Venice.  I don't even think we had them at World's.  There is nothing that looks fake about that clip.  So he bounces.  He isn't in a competition.  And gym lifts are like that most of the time.  I have never met him in person but have met a few that know him and trained with him including a coach at Orange Coast Colleg and they all said he could bench 600.  He is defintiely built for it.

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2007, 12:36:25 PM »
Tank told me so I believe him.......he's an idiot but he doesn't lie!

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2007, 12:53:38 PM »
Tank told me so I believe him.......he's an idiot but he doesn't lie!
Textbook definition: Damning with faint praise. See above.

IceCold

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2007, 12:57:28 PM »
it's real.  I want to know how many of you actually have seen fake plates.  I doubt any of you or maybe 1 or 2.  But the way you make it sound, anyone who lifts heavy on a video is using fake plates.  I have trained in at least 200 gyms across the country and I have never seen a fake plate anywhere but Gold's Venice.  I don't even think we had them at World's.  There is nothing that looks fake about that clip.  So he bounces.  He isn't in a competition.  And gym lifts are like that most of the time.  I have never met him in person but have met a few that know him and trained with him including a coach at Orange Coast Colleg and they all said he could bench 600.  He is defintiely built for it.

i've never seen fake plates either.

but i thought this issue was addressed (on sherdog) that tank filmed himself lifting weights for a UFC promotion video, so it would make sense for him to use fake plates - just like nowadays with the fake weights - why risk an injury.

maybe it was real, maybe it wasnt.

but for someone who benches 600, they should not have been thrown and handled so easily by dan severn and vitor belfort.

i'm not talking about technique, they just straight up overpowered tank.  and it was early in the fight so fatigue isnt an issue. 
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL ABBOTT (1966-2004)

dylan_dent

• Getbig II
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2007, 01:18:07 PM »
Did someone say fake plates?

I brought this point up on MD and got ROASTED!

D

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2007, 01:27:01 PM »
&mode=related&search=

nasty knockout, dudes neck looks snapped.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2007, 01:58:14 PM »
Real. The bar doesn't bend like that at 405, or even 495 for that matter. The only time I see the bar bending like that is when guys are squatting heavy weight, like 600'ish. I'm sure he did it, why is it so hard to believe?

Depends on the quality of the bar as well