Author Topic: Mike Tyson benching 405 for 3!!  (Read 59015 times)

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
Re: Mike Tyson benching 405 for 3!!
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2007, 11:12:10 PM »
atleast check what youre saying Keith, there was enough time between his fights for him to put on a good few lbs

1991-03-18 217 Donovan Ruddock (3 month break)

1990-12-08 217¾ Alex Stewart (6 month break)

1990-06-16 217 Henry Tillman   (4 month break)

1990-02-11 220½ James Buster Douglas (7 month break)

1989-07-21 219¼ Carl Williams (5 month break)

1989-02-25 218 Frank Bruno (8 month break)

1988-06-27 218¼ Michael Spinks (3 month break)

1988-03-21 216¼ Tony Tubbs 

1988-01-22 215¾ Larry Holmes 225¾

I did.  He fought 15 times in 85' and 13 times in 86'.  I would have to say that isn't much time to train with heavy weights and get big

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2007, 11:28:34 PM »
If you ever watched Bret work with the big guys you could see he was a strong man. Angle looks like shit now, but this was supposedly in his prime. You dont need 21" arms to bench big numbers, hell apparently Joanie Laurer (chyna) could bench 315

She could... I've seen her do it... In Richmond, Va. (some years back) The WWF was in town, she and Trips came into Powerhouse gym (Big Paulie R.I.P.) and I saw her do 315... I caught her in the middle of a set, so I didn't see how many reps she did... but I know it was more than 2.

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2007, 03:18:19 AM »
I said at the beginnning of his carreer like in the mid 80's.  Please read what I said.

i did, but if you bothered to read the initial post it said in 89. Im well aware of how often he fought when he first went pro but stick to the actual topic
Scouser on Tour

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2007, 04:55:34 AM »
So lifting huge weights and bench 405 for reps doesn't make you a great fighter. Lot of delusional gym bullies still don't know that.
Very true. It is a different type of training all together.

PB

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2007, 06:08:33 AM »
So lifting huge weights and bench 405 for reps doesn't make you a great fighter. Lot of delusional gym bullies still don't know that.

the size and strength gained from weight training can be very effective in a street fight IF you know how to use it ie wrestle, grapple, but unfortunately it is very difficult to maintain agility, speed and stamina when you build too much muscle for your structure.

this is the biggest problem faced by an mma fighter. you want lots of strength, but the catch is still remaining functional, especially for striking where rotation through the hips, extension through the shoulders and keeping your elbows in and hands up are ESSENTIAL. if this is not happening with fluid, relaxed movement you're going to have serious problems when the pressure comes on you because you are going to get even tighter and there goes your speed, power, agility and stamina.

the thing is, people get caught up with accepted demonstrations of strength like the bench press movement as if how much you bench press determines your value as a strong athlete. bench press happens to be a terrible movement for a fighter because your mind muscle connection learns to become efficient at SHORTENING the movement and PUSHING with your shoulders retracted and elbows out which is great for performing the bench press and absolutely useless for punching, where you want to EXTEND your shoulders and POP the MOVEMENT (as opposed to pushing) whilst keeping your elbows in (huge tight lats, tris and pecs negate this somewhat) and relaxed.

tyson was extremely strong and extremely powerful but he was FUNCTIONAL for HIS sport, not bench pressing.

Anal Iceman Lubeth

• Getbig III
  • I am no longer on friendly terms with St. blechman
« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2007, 06:13:03 AM »
I think I can beat Mike Tyson.

Mr Getbig II - Apr 1 deadline
Chadwick Mower in 2008

djohnsen

• Getbig II
« Reply #81 on: February 05, 2007, 08:03:15 AM »
Do any of you guys think that tyson used steriods?

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #82 on: February 05, 2007, 08:29:34 AM »
Do any of you guys think that tyson used steroids?

yes i do

it always surprises me when people believe that a pro athlete making millions of dollars has no qualms about using cocaine, cannabis, amphet, ice, opium and many other illicit drugs for recreational purposes, but won't use performance enhancers to help him stay at that earning bracket.

then, why wouldn't i be surprised. naivety and hypocrisy are very human traits.

djohnsen

• Getbig II
« Reply #83 on: February 05, 2007, 09:10:35 AM »
Yes, it would not surprise me that he did.
¨
Does anybody know that boxers are drug tested?
(In whatever federation Evander, Lennox, Tyson fought)

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #84 on: February 05, 2007, 01:52:20 PM »
Yes, it would not surprise me that he did.
¨
Does anybody know that boxers are drug tested?
(In whatever federation Evander, Lennox, Tyson fought)

They were the unified champs of the IBF, WBF, and WBO organizations... each for at least some time.

They are all drug tested... yes.

djohnsen

• Getbig II
« Reply #85 on: February 05, 2007, 01:57:55 PM »
They were the unified champs of the IBF, WBF, and WBO organizations... each for at least some time.

They are all drug tested... yes.

OK.

One more thing, Mike is 5,11. How tall is that in european standards? (meter)
Does anybody know. I have searched in the net, but what i found out just
can't be right. (under 1,60???)

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #86 on: February 05, 2007, 02:12:00 PM »
OK.

One more thing, Mike is 5,11. How tall is that in european standards? (meter)
Does anybody know. I have searched in the net, but what i found out just
can't be right. (under 1,60???)

Well, 6 ft is 1.8 meters or something like that...

So I think that 1.6 is about right.

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #87 on: February 05, 2007, 02:21:28 PM »
1.80 meters is 5 feet 11 inches (his claimed height), 1.75 meters is 5 feet 9 (his proposed height by some)
Scouser on Tour

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #88 on: February 05, 2007, 02:31:31 PM »
1.80 meters is 5 feet 11 inches (his claimed height), 1.75 meters is 5 feet 9 (his proposed height by some)

I had always heard he was around 5'10 and 5'11.

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #89 on: February 05, 2007, 02:40:30 PM »
ive never met the guy so i couldnt honestly give you a value, but he looks around the 5"10 mark
Scouser on Tour

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #90 on: February 06, 2007, 07:12:15 AM »
yes, boxers get tested for drugs but the testing is merely a cosmetic display.

if anyone actually believes that a an athlete that makes over 10 million in a single night's work is not going to beat this test i have some prime swamp picturesque land out in oaklahoma that i would like to sell you.

there are ways to beat these tests even when you get caught red handed.

roy jones junior failed a drug test whilst he was light hw champ post richard hall fight. his testosterone levels were about 10 times the level that would be considered using artificial means.

his excuse was, get this, 'nasal decongestant'! i'm assuming he is referring to the cortiso steroids (not anabolic) sometimes present in these preparations.

when this one didn't fly he blamed 'ripped fuel'. i was laughing even harder at this point because the active ingredient (at the time) in ripped fuel was ma huang/ephedrine, which is a stimulant, not a hormone.

in any case his reasons were accepted and he wasn't even fined. in fact he didn't miss a beat.

even fat tub of lard james toney tested positive for nandrolone (not exactly a shining example on the physical benefits of steroids). he was caught red handed and got about a 6 month suspension (the guy only fights about once a year ::)).

trust me, boxers take performance enhancers, including epo, beta antagonists, anabolics, stimulants, etc, etc. why do you think they hire drug gurus to avdise them?

sean

• Getbig IV
« Reply #91 on: February 06, 2007, 08:46:55 AM »
Im struggling to grasp why people dont think he could have benched that weight?  I know a guy, about 21 years old, weighs approx 170, all upper body, hit 385 very clean with no spot.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: February 06, 2007, 08:48:34 AM »
Im struggling to grasp why people dont think he could have benched that weight?  I know a guy, about 21 years old, weighs approx 170, all upper body, hit 385 very clean with no spot.
of course he did "sean". ::)

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
« Reply #93 on: February 06, 2007, 09:50:09 AM »
That is abouta  430lbs max.  I'm calling bullshit.  Especially in 89', plus consider the amount of cardio he must do.

Spoken like someone who doesnt bench anywhere near 405. 
a 405 x 3 set is roughly the equivalent of a 475 1 rep max

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: February 06, 2007, 09:58:34 AM »
Powerlifting for poundage and BB are 2 completely different animals.
There is no comparison. Get yourself a Meatal pro Viking bench shirt, change your form to a lower touch, do board presses, and watch your max bench almost double in 4-5 months. And yes, youll get caryover strength on your raw bench.Plenty. NOt to mention thicker triceps & lats. Tris and lats are a lot stronger than pecs and delts, use them!

MoralMan

• Getbig III
« Reply #95 on: February 06, 2007, 10:21:22 AM »
Max bench double in 4 or 5 months?! Haha whats this some secret method?!Haha

luike101

• Getbig II
« Reply #96 on: February 06, 2007, 10:27:26 AM »
Went to vegas 2 yrs ago gambling, clubs etc....   Went to after hours club and who walks in Iron Mike.  Had a bunch of tagalongs with him but for some reason he wanted to hang with a male friend of ours.  It is about 4 n the morning and Tyson asks our friend what his drug of choice was.  Ironically friend was type who looked like he partied a lot but was just an ugly drunk.  So Tyson pulls out bag of weed and starts rolling a double paper joint.  8-10 inches?  Security made our friend get up and leave once Tyson started smoking.  Weird experience, He was super cool or f'ed up or on his meds but real cool.  I am 5'9 Tyson was shorter than me.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #97 on: February 06, 2007, 10:44:02 AM »
yes, boxers get tested for drugs but the testing is merely a cosmetic display.

if anyone actually believes that a an athlete that makes over 10 million in a single night's work is not going to beat this test i have some prime swamp picturesque land out in oaklahoma that i would like to sell you.

there are ways to beat these tests even when you get caught red handed.

roy jones junior failed a drug test whilst he was light hw champ post richard hall fight. his testosterone levels were about 10 times the level that would be considered using artificial means.

his excuse was, get this, 'nasal decongestant'! i'm assuming he is referring to the cortiso steroids (not anabolic) sometimes present in these preparations.

when this one didn't fly he blamed 'ripped fuel'. i was laughing even harder at this point because the active ingredient (at the time) in ripped fuel was ma huang/ephedrine, which is a stimulant, not a hormone.

in any case his reasons were accepted and he wasn't even fined. in fact he didn't miss a beat.

even fat tub of lard james toney tested positive for nandrolone (not exactly a shining example on the physical benefits of steroids). he was caught red handed and got about a 6 month suspension (the guy only fights about once a year ::)).

trust me, boxers take performance enhancers, including epo, beta antagonists, anabolics, stimulants, etc, etc. why do you think they hire drug gurus to avdise them?

No doubt, never said they didn't... He just asked if they were tested and  I replied yes, they are.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #98 on: February 06, 2007, 10:49:39 AM »
i did, but if you bothered to read the initial post it said in 89. Im well aware of how often he fought when he first went pro but stick to the actual topic

Now would it be Getbig if we stuck to the actual topic :D

SDMF

• Getbig II
« Reply #99 on: February 06, 2007, 02:24:39 PM »
I saw Tyson once and I am 5'10-with the boots I was wearing, maybe pushing another 1.5"....I was towering over Mike...so 5'8 or 5'9 is the best guesitmate of his height......

Also...Kurt Angle has small arms becuase of the extensive nerve damage that his neck problems have given him over the years