Author Topic: CIA agents to stand trial for Italy kidnapping  (Read 1722 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
CIA agents to stand trial for Italy kidnapping
« on: February 18, 2007, 12:13:05 PM »
MILAN (Reuters) - A Milan judge on Friday ordered 26 Americans, most of them thought to be CIA agents, to stand trial with Italian spies for the 2003 kidnapping of a Muslim cleric, who says he was flown to Egypt and tortured there.

Among those indicted are the former heads of the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency in Rome and Milan, and the former head of Italy's SISMI military intelligence agency, Nicolo Pollari, defense lawyers said.

The trial, set to begin on June 8, will be the first criminal case over "renditions" -- one of the most controversial aspects of U.S. President George W. Bush's war on terrorism.

Beyond embarrassing Washington, the case also threatens to pit the Italian government against the independent judiciary in a battle to protect state secrets.

Washington acknowledges secret transfers of terrorism suspects to third countries but denies using or sanctioning torture, and is not expected to hand over its agents for trial.

Prosecutor Armando Spataro on Friday criticized the "silence of the current government" for failing to explain why it had not yet forwarded his extradition requests for the Americans.

Spataro says a CIA-led team, with SISMI's help, grabbed Muslim cleric Hassan Mustafa Osama Nasr, also known as Abu Omar, off a Milan street in February 2003, bundled him into a van and drove him to a military base in northern Italy. 

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
Re: CIA agents to stand trial for Italy kidnapping
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 12:44:12 PM »
Washington acknowledges secret transfers of terrorism suspects to third countries but denies using or sanctioning torture, and is not expected to hand over its agents for trial.

I would hope not!

Whether you agree with the policies they were carrying out or not, they were following orders in the service of their country, and one would hope that their country would stand behind them. 
Ron: "I am lazy."

sandycoosworth

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 12:49:51 PM »
lol ... they wont be "standing trial" rob ... they be tied in absentia and thatll be the end of it

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 07:00:29 PM »

I would hope not!

Whether you agree with the policies they were carrying out or not, they were following orders in the service of their country, and one would hope that their country would stand behind them. 

But let a KGB Agent kidnap someone from American soil and the missiles will come raining down on Russia.  :P

Well maybe not Russia, ...cause they have nukes, ...but you know what I mean. It's do as we say not do as we do.
w

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 07:01:51 PM »
But let a KGB Agent kidnap someone from American soil and the missiles will come raining down on Russia.  :P

Well maybe not Russia, ...cause they have nukes, ...but you know what I mean. It's do as we say not do as we do.
If they had a reason to believe he had info then he was a good asset to pick up.  Deal.
Squishy face retard

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 07:23:58 PM »

My point was, if you wanna go after someone, go after the people who gave the orders... not those who were carrying them out as part of their duty.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 07:34:48 PM »

My point was, if you wanna go after someone, go after the people who gave the orders... not those who were carrying them out as part of their duty.

But if that became the MO, the orders would never be given.
C'mon Goatboy, you know it's always the little guy that takes the fall.
w

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 07:36:47 PM »
It's great to see the legal process started in Italy.

Also, I hope that these CIA agents won't be turned over to Italy, but rather this forcing the Bush Administration to take responsibility for its own policies.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007, 07:43:20 PM »
This will be dragged out for another 4 years.
w

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2007, 07:50:21 PM »
This will be dragged out for another 4 years.

At least.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2007, 08:34:39 PM »
It's great to see the legal process started in Italy.

Also, I hope that these CIA agents won't be turned over to Italy, but rather this forcing the Bush Administration to take responsibility for its own policies.

-Hedge

Oh puleaze, they haven't done that in 7 yrs.
Their stint is almost over. What makes you think they're gonna start now?
w

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2007, 08:36:31 PM »
Oh puleaze, they haven't done that in 7 yrs.
Their stint is almost over. What makes you think they're gonna start now?

Why should they be turned over anyway, bright spot? Sounds like a job well done by the CIA!!!!