Author Topic: so let's say I'm gonna compete at a natural show....  (Read 4537 times)

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
so let's say I'm gonna compete at a natural show....
« on: February 19, 2007, 07:20:59 AM »
what's my BF gotta be to do a natural show?

how do you handle tanning?-not really natty specific but I was just wondering.

Water?  any suggestions....I have something on my harddrive about this so I'll cut and paste it later and see what you guys think.

More questions later.
nasser=piece of shit

jonno gb

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: so let's say I'm gonna compete at a natural show....
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 12:19:55 PM »
Just go by the mirror-don't worry about measuring bodyfat but the leaner the better really.

Tanning wise-I use Dream Tan.1 coat rubbed well in on the morning of the show,another lightly patted in before going onstage.You can use a few base coats of Pro-Tan if you wish.

Water-8-10 litres per day for 7 days before the show.Cut water at 2 pm the day before.Have 10 g of Vit C(divided into 1 g doses not all at once ;D) the day before plus a glass or two of dry white wine with a steak before bed.You might feel a bit crap on the day but 'the worse you feel the better you look' :-\

Good luck and enjoy the show.

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 04:34:11 PM »
Just go by the mirror-don't worry about measuring bodyfat but the leaner the better really.

Tanning wise-I use Dream Tan.1 coat rubbed well in on the morning of the show,another lightly patted in before going onstage.You can use a few base coats of Pro-Tan if you wish.

Water-8-10 litres per day for 7 days before the show.Cut water at 2 pm the day before.Have 10 g of Vit C(divided into 1 g doses not all at once ;D) the day before plus a glass or two of dry white wine with a steak before bed.You might feel a bit crap on the day but 'the worse you feel the better you look' :-\

Good luck and enjoy the show.

I "may" compete near the end of the year, I just wanted to talk about the natural BB experience.

What would you honestly say is the average BF% of guys on a "real" natty stage?  REalistically I doubt there's alot of guys getting below 5%....do you think this is accurate?  I'm not being a hater, I just want an honest answer. 
nasser=piece of shit

jonno gb

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 04:35:51 PM »
I would say few people reach 5%.Most are probably 6-9% IMO.

buffbong

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 05:09:41 PM »
a good natrual should be atleast 6% i know the top natrual pros are atleast 4%. it all depends on your body type for some guys ripping down to 4% might not benifit them going to five and being a lil fuller might be better on there bodytype...   

AVBG

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 08:01:58 PM »
give yourself plenty of time to get into shape. (16 weeks) and judge your condition by the mirror not the caliper.

Keep your training the same leading into the last week.. dont lighten the load.

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 05:13:11 AM »
give yourself plenty of time to get into shape. (16 weeks) and judge your condition by the mirror not the caliper.

everything is in the "very" early stages, I was thinking of doing a show last year and had contacted a couple of people about possibly helping me out with my prep work.  I'm not saying I am or am not gonna do a show but the immediate goal is to drop some BF and educate myself on natural BBing contest prep.  I figured this was a decent place to start. 
nasser=piece of shit

Max

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 12:33:53 PM »
Having had the misfortune of standing next to mezza this year maybe i have a skewed opinion on how lean you need to be on stage ;D
Can you really be too lean??   Personally i think it's become a dieting competition as much as a bb comp these days.  Too much empahsis is put on getting lean.  With the assisted guys it seems to be size, size and more size.  For us as we can't get as big it seems to be lean, lean and stupidly lean.

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 01:56:08 PM »

Very good point...  Real important to keep the weights heavy leading up to a comp
P

AVBG

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 02:03:00 PM »
Very good point...  Real important to keep the weights heavy leading up to a comp

Also to take your time in preparation... Natties dont have the beneifit of CLEN, T3 or LASIX!

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 10:10:08 AM »

I train DC so keeping things heavy is the only way I know how to do things.  I'm giving myself plenty of time.

how long do you get to do your posing routine?
nasser=piece of shit

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 02:16:02 PM »
I train DC so keeping things heavy is the only way I know how to do things.  I'm giving myself plenty of time.

how long do you get to do your posing routine?

In NZ it is one minute- 1.30. My advice on a routine is don't be a robot and stand in one place hitting the mandatory poses. Use imagination, use the width of the stage and try to get the crowd into it. It can be hard for some guys to do, but it pays divedends with the judges.
P

jonno gb

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 04:27:25 PM »
Having had the misfortune of standing next to mezza this year maybe i have a skewed opinion on how lean you need to be on stage ;D
Can you really be too lean??   Personally i think it's become a dieting competition as much as a bb comp these days.  Too much empahsis is put on getting lean.  With the assisted guys it seems to be size, size and more size.  For us as we can't get as big it seems to be lean, lean and stupidly lean.
What do you think Mezza was Max-3.5-4 % ? Are you competing this year mate or sticking with the powerlifting?

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2007, 12:25:04 AM »
Natural BBing contest prep is simply lowering the bodyfat, just like regular contest prep. Only thing is no clen, so it takes more time. Adonis did it successfully, maybe you should talk to him, if not already. Also, talk to natural BBers who have proven to get in contest shape (Layne, whateva, etc)

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2007, 06:29:26 AM »
Natural BBing contest prep is simply lowering the bodyfat, just like regular contest prep. Only thing is no clen, so it takes more time. Adonis did it successfully, maybe you should talk to him, if not already. Also, talk to natural BBers who have proven to get in contest shape (Layne, whateva, etc)
really, this board didn't have a ton of activity on it so I wanted to start a thread to get people talking, I'm doing fine on my own right now dropping BF, it's not a question of "how" more a question of how low do I need to go if I'm really thinking of doing this. 
nasser=piece of shit

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2007, 09:21:10 AM »
really, this board didn't have a ton of activity on it so I wanted to start a thread to get people talking, I'm doing fine on my own right now dropping BF, it's not a question of "how" more a question of how low do I need to go if I'm really thinking of doing this. 

Just observe pics of natty shows if you want to see what your comp will look like. Like jono said, it's about what you look like not what the scales or bf% says. I have no idea on that anyway, so can't help you there.

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2007, 11:23:11 AM »
Just observe pics of natty shows if you want to see what your comp will look like. Like jono said, it's about what you look like not what the scales or bf% says. I have no idea on that anyway, so can't help you there.

I agree that the mirror should be your primary tool, just trying to get conversation going. 
nasser=piece of shit

Max

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2007, 05:24:24 PM »
What do you think Mezza was Max-3.5-4 % ? Are you competing this year mate or sticking with the powerlifting?
How lean?  Lean enough!!
No BB for me this year.  Just doing the powerlifting this year, but i'll be back onstage 2008.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2007, 08:05:12 AM »

Well, maybe in the amature shows.....the pro guys go 4 - 5%. 

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2007, 04:34:32 AM »
BF Pretty much between 4-5 %

As for tanning, make sure you get a base tan before you apply any type of Dream/Pro Tan. Also tan in your posing trunk. I remember competing against a guy years ago, guess he was a lawn nower guy, even after applying bronzer and such you could still see he short and sock lines...terrible

As for water, on the Weds before the show I take in 1/2 gallon of water, Thursday 1/4 gallon and Friday, just enough to wash down my meals, ounces worth. This in tandom with Dandelion root, goldenseal or something of the similar just to eliminate any last minute water...

Good luck