Author Topic: War on Drugs, where do you stand on US Drug Policy.  (Read 5753 times)

tonyboloni

• Getbig II
  • Leave the gun--take the cannolis
War on Drugs, where do you stand on US Drug Policy.
« on: February 20, 2007, 07:52:40 AM »
should they be legalized?

what did you think of the Bolivian president holding a coca leaf up at the United Nations?  Is it a valid crop?

14 reports by PBS/Frontline

Human Rights Violations and the War on Drugs

177621 Drug-Related News Clippings!

Drug Policy Central

Edward Bernays is a Demon

tonyboloni

• Getbig II
  • Leave the gun--take the cannolis
Re: War on Drugs, where do you stand on US Drug Policy.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 08:18:45 AM »

What about Medical Marijuana?  I watched this guy with cancer get hauled off to jail and his dog impounded.  He had lost his home and was living with his dog in a car for his last days and using pot to control the pain.  He got busted with a bag and no lienience given, just hauled off.
Edward Bernays is a Demon

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 08:25:35 AM »
The war on drugs causes more harm than it prevents, period.

I know most people will have a simplistic, knee-jerk reaction when someone suggests legalization, since they've been indoctrinated with the simplistic message "drugs=bad" since they were children, but the simple fact is that if you objectively look at the totality of the picture, the societal problems associated with the illegality of drugs far exceed the societal problems that would be caused by the drugs themselves if they were legal.

From a practical, utilitarian viewpoint, legalization should be a no-brainer. Those who object (not counting the vast throng of mindless drones who can't get past the "drugs=bad" message) generally do so on moralistic grounds, which tend to be so important to them that they miss the practical effects and net harm caused by either approach (legalization or prohibition).
Ron: "I am lazy."

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 09:45:10 AM »
Of course drugs should be legalized, especially marijuana. If you ask most people for the reasons why drugs should be banned, all they'll end up saying is "drugs are bad" and wont back it up with any sort of  legitimate arguements.

It's like those anti-marijuana laws you see. First they said marijuana caused cancer and damaged the lungs, but then there was a study showing that there was no link between marijuana and cancer, as marijuana is not cultivated in radioactive soil like tobacco and also contains no natural chemicals that are harmful to the human body. Second they claimed it caused memory loss, but when you looked at the specs of their research, you'd have to basically smoke close to 70 grams a day for it to even hinder short term memory. And the DEA was responsible for the research.  ::) They tried to say marijuana is a gateway drug, but in a study commisioned in 1939 by then NYC mayor Fiorello LaGuardia proved that this was not so. Now they just go with stupid messages saying that if you smoke pot you'll end up losing your friends and sit home all day.  ::)

The DEA seems to just ignore published studies by universities, doctors and critics. It just picks old information mostly based on moral ideals rather then facts. It uses this bs to justify banning medical marijuana on a federal level.

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 10:23:02 AM »
pot should be legalized or completely decriminilized at the very least. 
Valhalla awaits.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 10:25:24 AM »
I think it's a losing battle... people will always get drugs if they want them.

I think there's a huge difference between weed and other drugs, like coke or heroin.

Steroids should definitely be legal... I'd rather have a bunch of juiced up people than the obesity epidemic we have now in the US.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 10:26:41 AM »
pot should be legalized or completely decriminilized at the very least. 

Yeah. Keeping pot banned is hypocrisy as you're allowing alcohol, which is far worse.

Cocaine and Heroin are pretty bad. What we can do for those two is weigh the benefits and risks and then come up with some sort of solution.

Stuff like shrooms and LSD should be legalized.

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 10:27:57 AM »
i disagree. i dont think lsd should be legalized. i have known a few people who it really fucked up
Valhalla awaits.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 10:28:06 AM »
Of course drugs should be legalized, especially marijuana. If you ask most people for the reasons why drugs should be banned, all they'll end up saying is "drugs are bad" and wont back it up with any sort of  legitimate arguements.

It's like those anti-marijuana laws you see. First they said marijuana caused cancer and damaged the lungs, but then there was a study showing that there was no link between marijuana and cancer, as marijuana is not cultivated in radioactive soil like tobacco and also contains no natural chemicals that are harmful to the human body. Second they claimed it caused memory loss, but when you looked at the specs of their research, you'd have to basically smoke close to 70 grams a day for it to even hinder short term memory. And the DEA was responsible for the research.  ::) They tried to say marijuana is a gateway drug, but in a study commisioned in 1939 by then NYC mayor Fiorello LaGuardia proved that this was not so. Now they just go with stupid messages saying that if you smoke pot you'll end up losing your friends and sit home all day.  ::)

The DEA seems to just ignore published studies by universities, doctors and critics. It just picks old information mostly based on moral ideals rather then facts. It uses this bs to justify banning medical marijuana on a federal level.

My argument isn't that drugs aren't harmful.... generally, they are.  My argument is that the effects of prohibition are more harmful than the effects of the drugs themselves if they were legal.  Arguments saying this drug or that drug "aren't that bad", regardless of their legitimacy, really miss the point.
Ron: "I am lazy."

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 10:29:39 AM »

My argument isn't that drugs aren't harmful.... generally, they are.  My argument is that the effects of prohibition are more harmful than the effects of the drugs themselves if they were legal.  Arguments saying this drug or that drug "aren't that bad", regardless of their legitimacy, really miss the point.
good point goat!!!

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 10:31:47 AM »

Of course the restrictions are harmful. Aren't more than half of all the people in prison there because of drug related charges? It costs tax payer money to keep these people locked up.

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 10:35:20 AM »
i am for pot decriminilization, but as someone who went through a period of smokin several times a day and having a roommate who still smokes constantly i have no doubt it can be detrimental to overall well being.   It stunts mental maturity or mental growth.  It also tends to make people have unrealistic expectations. People who start smoking on a daily basis in high school never really mature all that well in my opinion.  Also, high potency pot promotes patterns of thikning that underly anxiety and depresssive disorders.

But as far as this debate goes, that is mostly irrevelant.  Its prohibition is worse than the effects of the drug itself.
Valhalla awaits.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 10:36:37 AM »

I can agree with this... It's really the government trying to protect us from ourselves... or is it "control" us...

Hmm....

muscleforlife

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 07:08:51 PM »
legalize and tax all drugs.  People will get them one way or another.  People die from cancer from cigarettes, alcoholic deaths, etc

We make choices as to what we put in our bodies.    Either you will use them responsibly or you won't.

Sandra

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 07:12:02 PM »
Legalize EVERYTHING. Cheaper to provide treatment than "enforcement" that is a failure.

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2007, 08:07:11 PM »
first off- ive never or seen any cop ever send someone to jail over weed, let alone prison- thats reserved for major and violent offenders, yes the majority of inmates are drug addicts- but they're not in jail for addiction, there in their for crimes they commite that are driven by the drugs they need..

i can tell you first hand that drugs destroy people and community's. its an endless cycle that can never be stoped. drugs cost money, once your moneys all gone you begin to steal and do whatever it takes to feed the habit.

guess what happens when you legalize it and tax it- prices go up, so there will be a demand for a black market which will sell it cheaper, so theres no need to legalize it anyways.

alcohol/cigarettes- theres really no need for a black market. the guy in his house brewing some beer isnt going to produce enough to make an effect.. people wont grow tobacco to make their own cigarettes. the government has controll of these products so they can tax and regulate them. drugs are a different story

George Stinky Bush

• Getbig IV
  • Whose down with OPP
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2007, 08:12:43 PM »
Legalize pot. It is getting harder to get the older I get.
Shrooms make it hard to operate a motor vehicle.

young hov

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2007, 08:14:51 PM »
first off- ive never or seen any cop ever send someone to jail over weed, let alone prison- thats reserved for major and violent offenders, yes the majority of inmates are drug addicts- but they're not in jail for addiction, there in their for crimes they commite that are driven by the drugs they need..

i can tell you first hand that drugs destroy people and community's. its an endless cycle that can never be stoped. drugs cost money, once your moneys all gone you begin to steal and do whatever it takes to feed the habit.

guess what happens when you legalize it and tax it- prices go up, so there will be a demand for a black market which will sell it cheaper, so theres no need to legalize it anyways.

alcohol/cigarettes- theres really no need for a black market. the guy in his house brewing some beer isnt going to produce enough to make an effect.. people wont grow tobacco to make their own cigarettes. the government has controll of these products so they can tax and regulate them. drugs are a different story

Alcohol and tobacco are drugs. How many people's lives are destroyed by alcohol each and every year?

George Stinky Bush

• Getbig IV
  • Whose down with OPP
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2007, 08:16:35 PM »
Alcohol and tobacco are drugs. How many people's lives are destroyed by alcohol each and every year?
Beer muscles kill.................
young hov

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
  • Different Dunes, Same Sand
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2007, 08:18:27 PM »

I can have a drink and not be drunk; I can't have a hit of heroin and not be high.  An important difference, amongst others.
Thread Killer

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2007, 08:19:34 PM »
Legalizing drugs would make the price go UP?? ::)
That is So silly! ;D

George Stinky Bush

• Getbig IV
  • Whose down with OPP
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2007, 08:20:42 PM »
I can have a drink and not be drunk; I can't have a hit of heroin and not be high.  An important difference, amongst others.
On the contrary. Heroin does have many benefits. It is a great diet drug.
young hov

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2007, 08:21:29 PM »
On the contrary. Heroin does have many benefits. It is a great diet drug.

AIDS is a great way of losing weight too, if you're interested.
Thread Killer

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2007, 08:21:44 PM »

Fantastic, and exactly what does that have to do with how many lives are destroyed by alcohol each and every year?  ::)

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2007, 08:24:42 PM »
Fantastic, and exactly what does that have to do with how many lives are destroyed by alcohol each and every year?  ::)

Sorry, I didn't realise I had to think for you too.  Do you think legalising heroin is a good idea?
Thread Killer