Author Topic: Illegal aliens should be allowed to vote!?!?  (Read 1691 times)

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
Valhalla awaits.

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
Re: Illegal aliens should be allowed to vote!?!?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 07:50:27 AM »
February 20, 2007 -- Immigrant-rights activists yesterday renewed their push to allow legal noncitizens to vote in the Big Apple.
A bill that would grant permanent residents and other legal immigrants the right to vote in municipal elections has been stalled in the City Council since last year.

"More than 50,000 adult noncitizen taxpayers in those two districts are disenfranchised by citizenship voting laws," said Cheryl Wertz, of New Immigrant Community Empowerment, referring to today's special election for council seats in Brooklyn and Staten Island.

Councilman Charles Barron (D-Brooklyn), the sponsor of the Voting Rights Restoration Act, said that years ago, when immigrants were mostly European, they had voting rights.

"Then when the complexion of immigrants changes, then all of a sudden, the laws change," he said.

Ron Hayduk, a CUNY professor, concurred, saying immigrants voted in national elections from 1776 through 1926.

Valhalla awaits.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 07:51:47 AM »
I getting sick of this shit.

Those fuckers don't speak a single word of english and think we should learn their language.. Now people want to grant them voting rights?

OKMike

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 10:11:16 AM »
I think we should tell the illegals they can vote, but when they show up to do so have them deported!   ;)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 10:16:36 AM »
I think we should tell the illegals they can vote, but when they show up to do so have them deported!   ;)

LOL!

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
  • You can't be a citizen unless you serve
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 11:08:18 AM »
I think we should tell the illegals they can vote, but when they show up to do so have them deported!   ;)

That is so great!
gotta love life

beatmaster

• Getbig IV
  • Save a tree, eat a beaver
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 11:27:09 AM »

yes, that's a good idea, government will save money..............

illegals = no vote ... if they want the right, why don't they ask for citizenship the RIGHT way in the first place!!!
are you delusional?

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 12:05:16 PM »
http://www.discoverthenetwork.org/Articles/LET%20ALIENS%20VOTE%20ACTIVISTS.html

wow, unreal

ummm... {pssst} guys? ...ya might wanna take another little peek at the article.

It's refering to LEGAL aliens, ...those who have permission to be in the country, who emigrated the right way, hold jobs, and are taxpayers.  When you think about it really, to deny them voting rights despite the fact that they're paying taxes, it's kinda like "Taxation Without Representation" in a way isn't it? I heard that close to 250 yrs. ago, that concept / idea didn't go over very well then either {shrug}

Ding Ding Ding... okay, Pavlov has rung the bell... Go ahead everybody... foam...  :D
w

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 12:11:08 PM »
Why the fucck should a non-citizen have the right to vote?  I thought that was the whole point of becoming a citizen... getting a voice in government.

If an immigrant wants the right to vote, he can get that right very simply by becoming a citizen.  If he doesn't want to become a citizen of this country, they why should he have a say in selecting the leadership of this country? That's what citizenship is all about.
Ron: "I am lazy."

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 12:12:29 PM »
ummm... {pssst} guys? ...ya might wanna take another little peek at the article.

It's refering to LEGAL aliens, ...those who have permission to be in the country, who emigrated the right way, hold jobs, and are taxpayers.  When you think about it really, to deny them voting rights despite the fact that they're paying taxes, it's kinda like "Taxation Without Representation" in a way isn't it? I heard that close to 250 yrs. ago, that concept / idea didn't go over very well then either {shrug}

They can vote... all they have to do is become citizens first.  That's as fair as can be, since if they're here legally, citizenship is open to them.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 12:20:11 PM »
Legal aliens have Governemnt IDs and pay taxes.

"No taxation without representation." they said remember?

I'm a bit split on the issue actually, if you're legal, you have rights, but you're not a citizen... should non citizens be allowed to vote.

I will have to think about this.

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 12:25:05 PM »
I'm a legal alien... and you have no idea how great it is not having to worry about which way you're going to vote.  I feel carefree and happy, just like when I was a kid.  Everyone around me worries and discusses politics endlessly... while I fill my mind with poetry and lovely thoughts. It's liberating!!!  :D

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 12:30:57 PM »
Legal aliens have Governemnt IDs and pay taxes.

"No taxation without representation." they said remember?

I'm a bit split on the issue actually, if you're legal, you have rights, but you're not a citizen... should non citizens be allowed to vote.

I will have to think about this.

The process of becoming a citizen involves residing here for a certain period of time, to show a commitment to this country, as well as giving the newcomer time to come to understand american society first-hand.  In addition, prospective citizens are required to take courses in American history and civics, so they understand how our government works, what their rights and responsibilities as citizens are, and how things are generally done in America.  It's certainly not unreasonable to require these basic things of people before they are given the vote, so they at least have an informed understanding of what they're voting for, rather than being led around by the nose by "community leaders".

I don't find "taxation" as the sole requirement for voting to be a reasonable position.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 01:51:49 PM »
What he said. ^^^^^^^^^

I dont necessarily disagree.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2007, 01:57:20 PM »
I don't find "taxation" as the sole requirement for voting to be a reasonable position.

specially cause they won't pay much taxes.  you make under 10 grand you don't pay a thing right? toss in IEC for their rugrats and we'll be paying them to file taxes and vote.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2007, 05:10:14 PM »
The process of becoming a citizen involves residing here for a certain period of time, to show a commitment to this country, as well as giving the newcomer time to come to understand american society first-hand.  In addition, prospective citizens are required to take courses in American history and civics, so they understand how our government works, what their rights and responsibilities as citizens are, and how things are generally done in America.  It's certainly not unreasonable to require these basic things of people before they are given the vote, so they at least have an informed understanding of what they're voting for, rather than being led around by the nose by "community leaders".

See... it did take a while, ...but I knew that if you thought it through rather than simply react,
you'd be able to come up with a well reasoned, thoughtful response.  :D Looks good on ya!  ;)   :P
w

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2007, 05:58:18 PM »
specially cause they won't pay much taxes.  you make under 10 grand you don't pay a thing right? toss in IEC for their rugrats and we'll be paying them to file taxes and vote.

So true. Hispanics suck up public housing and usually average around 4 children.