Author Topic: What Would You Do If Bush Declared Martial Law?  (Read 1673 times)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
What Would You Do If Bush Declared Martial Law?
« on: February 22, 2007, 08:59:40 AM »
An editorial in the New York Times yesterday pointed out, for those of us who didn't realize it, that the Bush administration had inserted two provisions into last October's defense budget bill that would make it easier to declare martial law in the US. Senators Leahy and Bond have introduced a bill to repeal these changes, and it is important that

voters keep track of this bill and hold their Congresspeople to account on it. Along with several other measures the Bush adminstration has proposed, the introduction of these changes amounts, not to an attack on the Congress and the balance of power, but to a particular and concerted attack on the citizens of the nation. Bush is laying the legal groundwork to repeal even the appearance of democracy. Any senator who does not vote in favor of the Leahy/Bond repeal of these provisions should promptly be recalled by his or her constituents.
That said, and without underestimating the seriousness of these provisions, I have to point out that with this as with other legal maneuvers like the Military Commissions Act, I have to wonder who Bush, Cheney, Rove, etc. think they are governing. Were they planning to spring these things on us? One day, we were supposed to wake up, and martial law would be declared, and we were supposed to actually pay attention to it? Where are they keeping the troops who were going to patrol our neighborhoods? Who was it who was going to disarm the population? Who was their base going to be, when they sought public support for martial law? Who was going to round us up and where were they going to put us?

cont.... http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jane-smiley/what-would-you-do-if-bush_b_41674.html

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
Re: What Would You Do If Bush Declared Martial Law?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 09:04:17 AM »
I'm gonna hook up with Jane and fight the power, baby!

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 09:05:59 AM »
I suspect this was all in preperation for something big coming... but there is a valid point to this, I know telling Rancher X to stay put while Blackwater guys come by to collect your guns isn't going to fly well at all...  I wouldn't want to be any blackwater fool trying to gather guns in Wyoming...  I don't know how this crap would play out in places like California but in the planes states, it wouldn't go well at all... And remember before I'm called on this, they did this crap in New Orleans.  door to door, hand over your guns...

Hold on..... BAWHAHahhhhahhahahahhahh ahhahhahhdhkfhdkjhfkjasd fjkhajklsdfhjlkasdhfkjhe dhfus ;D Not going to happen....

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 09:06:34 AM »
I'm gonna hook up with Jane and fight the power, baby!

lol ;D

OKMike

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 11:55:23 AM »
An editorial in the New York Times yesterday pointed out

I stopped reading after this.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 12:05:05 PM »
I stopped reading after this.
typical... How often I run across people with fingers in their ears going "lalalalalalalalalalala I can't hear you... lalalallalalalalala"

OKMike

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 12:45:52 PM »
typical... How often I run across people with fingers in their ears going "lalalalalalalalalalala I can't hear you... lalalallalalalalala"

No, I just like to get news from CREDIBLE sources.  If you recall, the New York Times got in trouble for fabricating news stories.  I wouldn't use their rag as toilet paper.

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 10:08:03 PM »
I would join the army immediately
Valhalla awaits.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 10:14:30 PM »

umm... sorry... did you say something?

w

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 04:58:49 AM »
umm... sorry... did you say something?

What I can't hear you, 'lalalalalalalalalalalala lala!!!!!"

Rearden Metal

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Honey Badger cuz he don't Care.
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 05:09:59 AM »
This is nothing new. Virtually every law gets passed piggybacked on another bill that the general public will widely support.

Example, an anti-gaming legislation was tagged on to a War Bill for Iraq to give more funds to outfit the troops.

What does gambling have to do with war? Nothing. When pressed, Senator Frist (who tacked on the gaming legislation to appease his ultra religous constituency) claimed that online gaming sites are rife with money transfer between terrorists. This claim is so outrageous and unprovable it's hilarious.

The bill literally got passed in a months time. No time for any one of the millions of people who play online games to stand up and do something about it.

It's how our government does business.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2007, 05:36:49 AM »
This is nothing new. Virtually every law gets passed piggybacked on another bill that the general public will widely support.

Example, an anti-gaming legislation was tagged on to a War Bill for Iraq to give more funds to outfit the troops.

What does gambling have to do with war? Nothing. When pressed, Senator Frist (who tacked on the gaming legislation to appease his ultra religous constituency) claimed that online gaming sites are rife with money transfer between terrorists. This claim is so outrageous and unprovable it's hilarious.

The bill literally got passed in a months time. No time for any one of the millions of people who play online games to stand up and do something about it.

It's how our government does business.
I'm almost sure that was not remotely close to the point being made... ;D

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2007, 07:32:56 AM »
Depending on the reason for why Marshall Law was exacted would depend on what i would do also it would depend on what the Marshall law entailed.

If aliens invaded i'd go along with it.

Virtually anything else:  I'd march in protest, join the underground etc....

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2007, 07:38:21 AM »
Depending on the reason for why Marshall Law was exacted would depend on what i would do also it would depend on what the Marshall law entailed.

If aliens invaded i'd go along with it.

Virtually anything else:  I'd march in protest, join the underground etc....
I'm with you man... March in protest, join the underground, but fuck this: :o

If I open the door and see this, I'm with Bush :P