Author Topic: Pol eyes fine for smoking in a car with kids  (Read 1291 times)

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
Pol eyes fine for smoking in a car with kids
« on: March 05, 2007, 08:05:34 AM »
Good luck enforcing this one.

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=186397

By Jessica Fargen
Boston Herald Health & Medical Reporter
Monday, March 5, 2007 - Updated: 01:20 AM EST

A controversial new bill would slap smokers with a fine if they light up in cars with kids, an incendiary idea that’s outraged puffers and civil libertarians while gaining speed nationwide.
     “They are going to come into your home next,” said Gary Nolan, national spokesman for The Smokers Club, Inc. “Will we have the food police issuing tickets if your child’s (weight) is out of wack and you are heading into a Burger King?”
    Added Dr. Michael Siegel, a Boston University tobacco policy analyst: “This is a disrespect for parental autonomy. We allow parents to let their children play hockey and go roller blading and serve their kids terribly unhealthy food.”
    The Massachusetts law, filed by state Rep. Michael Costello (D-Newburyport) at the request of a Salisbury dad, would fine violators $25 for the first offense and $100 after that for smoking in a car with a child who by law must be in a car seat. That means children under 5 or weighing less than 40 pounds. The reasoning is that car seats are easy to spot for a cop who notices someone smoking in a car and children in safety seats are too young to help themselves.
    At least a dozen states, including Connecticut and Rhode Island, are considering bans on smoking in a car when a child is present. Louisiana and Arkansas already have similar laws on the books. In Bangor, Maine, an ordinance in effect since January allows police to fine drivers $50 for smoking in a car with anyone under age 18. No one has been cited.
    The national push comes as more and more restaurants and bars ban smoking.
    A Harvard School of Public Health study published in November found that the second-hand smoke inside cars posed a “potentially serious threat to children’s health,” increasing the risk of ear infections and worsening asthma.
    Ken Trofatter, a Salisbury firefighter and father of 2-year-old Colby, approached Costello about filing the bill while his mother, a longtime smoker, was dying of lung cancer.
    “I just remember as a kid, my parents smoked in the car. Both my brother and I stuck our heads out the window. It bothers me. I just want to give these kids a little bit of a chance,” he said.
    Costello, a father of two, said the law would give a voice to children too young to speak up. But, he said he doesn’t support taking the law into puffers’ living rooms.
    “Children can’t say, ‘Mom or dad, the smoke is killing me back here,’ ” he said. “They are unable to communicate that. No one is saying we will come into your house and legislate this.”
     Lorna Green of Bridgewater said she believes a 2-year-old relative’s asthma attacks are more severe because his mother lights up when he’s around. When she approached her state legislator about a car smoking ban, she found out Trofatter was one step ahead.
    “His little lungs are growing. They need a clean environment,” she said.

Purge_WTF

Re: Pol eyes fine for smoking in a car with kids
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 12:13:36 PM »
  The government needs to butt the frig out of our lives. That second-hand smoke myth is just that--a myth.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 02:32:59 PM »
  The government needs to butt the frig out of our lives. That second-hand smoke myth is just that--a myth.

So you've done studies on this?

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 02:42:24 PM »
So you've done studies on this?

I was wondering the same thing.

Purge_WTF

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 07:27:36 PM »
  No, but I've read many studies from scientists who have.

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 07:32:46 PM »
  No, but I've read many studies from scientists who have.

Care to share with the class?

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 07:41:27 PM »
fucking bullshit.

Purge_WTF

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 08:01:10 PM »
fucking bullshit.

Are you referring to the law itself?

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 08:12:31 PM »
  Are you referring to the law itself?

Care to link us up to the studies? Cause my friend is a ENT and will tell you no such study exists by a accredited doctor. Kids with parents that smoke are prone to terrible allergies, earaches (till their teens), and frequent head aches due to the congestion of the tubes.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 08:17:13 PM »
I do think that second hand smoke is bad... However, aren't we letting the government get a little too involved in our personal lives with this?

It's bad enough they save us from ourselves with seat belt laws, but come on... I agree with the statement that the next thing they'll be doing is coming into your house to see if you're smoking around a kid then... It just wreaks of a way to quash civil liberties.

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 08:19:56 PM »
I do think that second hand smoke is bad... However, aren't we letting the government get a little too involved in our personal lives with this?

It's bad enough they save us from ourselves with seat belt laws, but come on... I agree with the statement that the next thing they'll be doing is coming into your house to see if you're smoking around a kid then... It just wreaks of a way to quash civil liberties.

This is a clear case of too much governmental control. I seriously doubt the police want to enforce this law. This is a bad idea on many levels.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2007, 10:33:41 PM »
This is a clear case of too much governmental control. I seriously doubt the police want to enforce this law. This is a bad idea on many levels.

It's just like the speed limit law enforcible in certain circumstances. I do agree once this, what next? This smoking ban sure has caught fire, smokers are like outcast now.