Author Topic: Guitar Motivation  (Read 7395 times)

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
Re: Guitar Motivation
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2007, 08:33:34 PM »
Sound and how a guitar feel are different. A Squire strat will feel much different than a '54 Strat, but you if you have the hands you can get the tone you're going for on either instrument.
Again, most people do not understand this. I've explained it ad nauseam    and people just don't understand the concept.

i know what your saying but i just dont agree, alot of it is definitely in the hands but the instrument can make a significant difference as well. judas priest's legendary metal god glenn tipton has said this word for word.
listen to the song 'cowboys from hell' or 'cemetary gates' by the metal titans Pantera real loud on a quality stereo and tell me that dimebag could have got that sound out of a squire or a tele or something. no way

Debussey

• Getbig IV
  • The shadow braggs about hitting women
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2007, 09:43:38 PM »
I wish I could play an instrument.

Do not worry. Some humans are made as thrash. Like you.

Face it: You have no talents. You can not accomplish anything. Nothing. Squat. Nada.

You are a waste.
Support DEBUSSEYWORLD!

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2007, 03:54:13 PM »
listen to the song 'cowboys from hell' or 'cemetary gates' by the metal titans Pantera real loud on a quality stereo and tell me that dimebag could have got that sound out of a squire or a tele or something. no way

There's a really easy way to explain why Darrel couldn't sound like that on a guitar like you mentioned, but you'd probably be so butt hurt that I didn't say "Dimebag Is God!" that my comment would just make you feel incensed.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2007, 06:06:36 PM »
tell me that dimebag could have got that sound out of a squire or a tele or something. no way

A)That guy obviously doesn't know what he's taking about, because the Tele is the most versatile guitar ever built, and B) Shredders know NOTHING of tone, true tone.  They know alot about distortion and scales, but nothing of tone.

For badass tone seek:

Keith Richards
The Edge
Tom Campbell
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Jimi Hendrix
Jimmy Paige

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2007, 06:49:59 PM »
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Jimi Hendrix

I can't say too much for Jimi in regards to a Tele, but when the hell did Stevie ever play a Tele aside from a few songs live? And it's Stevie Ray VaughAn... ;)

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2007, 09:57:55 PM »
I wasn't referring to those guys as Tele players, just tone gods.  Stevie DID on occasion play one though, i had a great pic a while back. wish i could find it.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2007, 02:36:42 PM »
Shredders know NOTHING of tone, true tone.  They know alot about distortion and scales, but nothing of tone.

For badass tone seek:

Keith Richards
The Edge
Tom Campbell
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Jimi Hendrix
Jimmy Paige

this is quite a stupid statement to say, there are a lot of shredders with great tone, and dimebag was one of them. yngwie has good tone as well, vai gets more versatility/emotion out of the strings than anyone ever, alex lifeson has my favorite tone of all time.

i agree the edge, hendrix, srv, had great tone, but keith richards?

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2007, 04:01:13 PM »
this is quite a stupid statement to say, there are a lot of shredders with great tone, and dimebag was one of them. yngwie has good tone as well, vai gets more versatility/emotion out of the strings than anyone ever, alex lifeson has my favorite tone of all time.

i agree the edge, hendrix, srv, had great tone, but keith richards?

gonna have to disagree with ya man, those guys play too fast to define their tone, granted this is a very subjective issue, so its all opinion alone.  I have mad respect for those shredders, but their playing does nothing for me, all fluff and no substance in my opinion, i saw the G3 tour, it was badass, but nothing earth shattering.  I also had a friend (acquiantence, friend of a friend you know how it goes) who was at the club and killed the night dimebag was killed.

As for Keith Richards, he's got the whole dirty/clean thing going on.  Like a french whore singing turned into guitar playing.  If you need more justification of his tone, think the main riff from "satisfaction" the best rock riff ever.  He plays often through two channels, one clean and one dirty (through actual tube drive, not pedals... altjough he will occasionaly use pedals) uses open tunings and only five strings.  He also has the 2nd Fender Tweed Twin ever made, and some custom ones with two 12's running at 80 watts.  he cranks those and gets a pretty sweet tone.  The tweed twins have the clarity of a twin reverb, but with the "gainy-ness" of something more in line with an original 50 watt marshall.  Great amps, but they retail for like 5 grand or something ridiculous. ok, TMI... sorry, haha.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2007, 05:50:32 PM »
gonna have to disagree with ya man, those guys play too fast to define their tone, granted this is a very subjective issue, so its all opinion alone.  I have mad respect for those shredders, but their playing does nothing for me, all fluff and no substance in my opinion, i saw the G3 tour, it was badass, but nothing earth shattering.  I also had a friend (acquiantence, friend of a friend you know how it goes) who was at the club and killed the night dimebag was killed.

As for Keith Richards, he's got the whole dirty/clean thing going on.  Like a french whore singing turned into guitar playing.  If you need more justification of his tone, think the main riff from "satisfaction" the best rock riff ever.  He plays often through two channels, one clean and one dirty (through actual tube drive, not pedals... altjough he will occasionaly use pedals) uses open tunings and only five strings.  He also has the 2nd Fender Tweed Twin ever made, and some custom ones with two 12's running at 80 watts.  he cranks those and gets a pretty sweet tone.  The tweed twins have the clarity of a twin reverb, but with the "gay-ness" of something more in line with an original 50 watt marshall.  Great amps, but they retail for like 5 grand or something ridiculous. ok, TMI... sorry, haha.

You sound like a really old man.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2007, 06:01:18 PM »
You sound like a really old man.

If sounding like a really old man also means i am very informed, i'll take it.  24 years old though, oh well.

vinnyvee

• Getbig IV
  • Dorian never bitched, he just shut em up!
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2007, 06:59:28 PM »
If sounding like a really old man also means i am very informed, i'll take it.  24 years old though, oh well.

I think I know and can respect where your coming from TrapsMLTS,,,but on your list honestly,,,,how could you not refference Eddie! From day one the man had a "tone" in his head that ultimately he had to  reconstruct a guitar to his liking that had never been built, yes the double humbucker in the bridge position on a strat body, to get that tone he had. Eddie can grab any guitar yeah, probably even a Tele and it's going to sound like Eddie. I'm just saying all shots aside, Eddie was and is a tone God!

c-sharp minor

• Getbig II
  • omgwtfbbq
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2007, 07:42:30 AM »
Here, this kid is 15. 

&mode=related&search=

Check out his other stuff.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2007, 09:22:15 AM »
A)That guy obviously doesn't know what he's taking about, because the Tele is the most versatile guitar ever built, and B) Shredders know NOTHING of tone, true tone.  They know alot about distortion and scales, but nothing of tone.

For badass tone seek:

Keith Richards
The Edge
Tom Campbell
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Jimi Hendrix
Jimmy Paige

You left out the late great Paul Kossoff

Check out this video. He was 20 at the time. The bassist, Andy Fraser, was 18.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FhCilozomo

liberty

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2007, 02:33:09 PM »
Great vid c sharp minor 8)
I'd kill to be able to play like that someday...

Debussey

• Getbig IV
  • The shadow braggs about hitting women
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2007, 03:39:54 PM »
Here, this kid is 15. 

&mode=related&search=

Check out his other stuff.

Do you fit into the pentatonic box on the 9th fret?  :-*
Support DEBUSSEYWORLD!

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2007, 06:37:49 PM »
again, i think that stlye of playing, and tone, is just awful.  the kid is technicaly proficient, no doubt... but god do i hate that 80's sounding tone. 

c-sharp minor

• Getbig II
  • omgwtfbbq
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2007, 07:09:56 AM »
The tone I agree with. I like more of a bare-bones approach to sound myself. I've never been a fan of simplistic blues rock though. I much prefer jazz or classical guitar. I do believe too many guitar players worry about their sound, instead of concentrating on their playing. Sound becomes a moot point if you can't play. Just saying, that players should not limit themselves, when there is always more to learn. I firmly believe a good guitar player should be able to make the music sound good regardless of what their equipment is.

The point I was making with the video is that the kid is only 15. I've been playing for 25 years and teaching for 20. This kid can play rock as well as I can.

This is amazing for a 15 yr old

Being a shredder doesn't mean one plays at 1000mph constantly;  having a knowledge of musical theory and being technically proficient gives you more options from which to choose to colour your playing.

Gary Moore was known as a shredder back in the day, yet produced this

Check out "Scenes", by Marty Friedman. Absolutely beautiful music.

Music is a subjective experience, though, and, imho, and opening it to criticism is a strange thing to do ,as every single person on this planet hears the music differently.

Need coffee, it's too early in the morning. I'm sure my thoughts aren't very coherent.  ;D

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2007, 08:38:10 AM »

Being a shredder doesn't mean one plays at 1000mph constantly;  having a knowledge of musical theory and being technically proficient gives you more options from which to choose to colour your playing.

I agree that being technicaly proficient isn't a bad thing, but to quote the edge," Notes are expensive, i don't go over budget."  The Edge, Keith Richards and George Harrison have written more famous guitar riffs than anyone else (which isn't to say there aren't tons of other great riffs) and none of them are considered technical gods, more like musical gods. 

Myself personaly, i can't play fast for shit, i can solo well, but no one is ever gonna be impressed by my speed or ability, but i get compliments on my playing  and tone all the time because i play the "right" notes as opposed to playing too many notes.

best

• Getbig II
  • Team MD!!!
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2007, 08:58:06 AM »
SO not that anyone cares but I been playing for a year now...
I was looking for motivation and this 12 year old gave it to me !

Concur.  As an adult seeing a 12 year old play with decent proficiency that is inspiring.  What ever it takes to keep you focused and practicing dude.  Stick with it.  The time goes fast.

Here's an oldie by Wim...This kid can play.
MuscularDevelopment.com

c-sharp minor

• Getbig II
  • omgwtfbbq
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2007, 09:19:43 AM »

Myself personaly, i can't play fast for shit, i can solo well, but no one is ever gonna be impressed by my speed or ability, but i get compliments on my playing  and tone all the time because i play the "right" notes as opposed to playing too many notes.

I'm infinitely more impressed by someone who plays with musicality rather than technicality. I can't stand a barrage of meaningless notes, with no sense of dynamics, timbre, melody etc. I much prefer to listen to music that is muscially interesting, to my ear, at least.

Good to see younger people taking an interest in guitar based music. I applaud your listening choices. SRV is one of my favs. :D

liberty

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2007, 09:24:22 AM »
Thanks bro.....I'll watch it later ....At work now.
I will stick with it though.
Taught myself for a year....taking lessons now from a kid ....hes better than me right now.
I told him to keep showing up for my lessons till I'm as good as he is...then hes gone  ;D
I really like the Drop D tuning....Also playing creed 'My Sacrifice' came pretty easy...Sounds great with that Tremonti tuning DADADD.....Cool shit

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2007, 09:40:09 AM »
Here's a clip of u2, and the edge doing what no one else can on guitar.  There are others who willl play faster and more difficult stuff, but from 3:15-4:50 (roughly) there's no one else who can make their guitar sound like that.   What edge lacks in technicality he makes up for with impeccable musicianship, the timing of his notes and the emotion of them.  The guitar work throughout the entire song is f-ing brilliant, and the big solo is unreal.  its always fun to watch him play a solo as well, because he shows no emotion through his face and kinda looks posessed. 

EDIT: ooops, here's the link:

c-sharp minor

• Getbig II
  • omgwtfbbq
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2007, 09:58:57 AM »
Concur.  As an adult seeing a 12 year old play with decent proficiency that is inspiring.  What ever it takes to keep you focused and practicing dude.  Stick with it.  The time goes fast.

Here's an oldie by Wim...This kid can play.

Great link.

liberty

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2007, 10:16:21 AM »
Old school fave....Alvin Lee

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2007, 11:45:40 AM »
Just saying, that players should not limit themselves, when there is always more to learn. I firmly believe a good guitar player should be able to make the music sound good regardless of what their equipment is.

Bingo!!!