Author Topic: Why is the ARNOLD held in in Columbus all the time ?  (Read 2127 times)

Monster_Everything

• Getbig IV
  • WOW, he REALLY just said that? (looks at camera)
Why is the ARNOLD held in in Columbus all the time ?
« on: March 06, 2007, 05:25:47 PM »
Whats the story?  ??? 2nd biggest show in the INDUSTRY deserves a better locale no ? 8) 8) 8)  No offense to Columbus, Ohio but c'mon.......  :P
The Number 2 in Scranton

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
Re: Why is the ARNOLD held in in Columbus all the time ?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 05:28:16 PM »
Whats the story?  ??? 2nd biggest show in the INDUSTRY deserves a better locale no ? 8) 8) 8)  No offense to Columbus, Ohio but c'mon.......  :P

Doesn't the promotor live there or something?
Ron: "I am lazy."

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 05:28:52 PM »
with all the gay talk lately,, i have to wonder if columbus- being the gayest city in the country(next to san fransico)would have something to do with it

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 05:30:25 PM »
with all the gay talk lately,, i have to wonder if columbus- being the gayest city in the country(next to san fransico)would have something to do with it

are you the catcher or the pitcher?

CARTEL

• Getbig V
  • Have a good time, all the time.
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 05:31:26 PM »

Are you coming on to him?

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 05:32:15 PM »
Are you coming on to him?

oh, you're the catcher.

dzulboy

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Big hard and turbo charged
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 05:32:32 PM »

it's where arnold won the universe

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 05:33:13 PM »

im the gay basher

CARTEL

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 05:33:51 PM »
oh, you're the catcher.

Keep dreaming you little minx  ;D

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 05:36:11 PM »
im the gay basher

i didn't know it was the 2nd gayest city.  makes sense then to have the arnold there.  A lot of gaylords there to pay to get in.

Monster_Everything

• Getbig IV
  • WOW, he REALLY just said that? (looks at camera)
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 05:36:47 PM »
so its because ohio is more gayer sounding a state than Idaho ?
The Number 2 in Scranton

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 05:47:25 PM »
They can still hold it in Columbus, there are just much better venues in town than the downtown area and Columbus convention center. Maybe it was alright when the started the contest, but the city has grown so much since. For one thing, parking in downtown is damn near impossible and very expensive, especially with events like the Arnold going on.

They can move it a couple miles north for example to the Ohio State campus. They have tens of thousands of parking spots and lots of facilities and venues... If they can accomodate all that football in the fall, I am sure they can handle the Arnold.

20inch calves

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2007, 05:50:21 PM »
the first year arnold tried to have it in several different cities and everyone of them turned him down. columbus was the first city to say yes. since they did that he said he would never leave columbus
irongearco.com

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2007, 05:51:03 PM »
They can still hold it in Columbus, there are just much better venues in town than the downtown area and Columbus convention center. Maybe it was alright when the started the contest, but the city has grown so much since. For one thing, parking in downtown is damn near impossible and very expensive, especially with events like the Arnold going on.

They can move it a couple miles north for example to the Ohio State campus. They have tens of thousands of parking spots and lots of facilities and venues... If they can accomodate all that football in the fall, I am sure they can handle the Arnold.

wheelchair access is very important aswell ::)

20inch calves

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2007, 05:54:44 PM »

i was suprised but i saw a few people in wheelchairs at the expo
irongearco.com

SS

• Getbig V
  • The new and improved SS.
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2007, 05:54:54 PM »
hahaha! yes this guy is pathetic!

Special Ed

• Toms
  • Getbig V
  • Special Ed Forever!
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2007, 06:01:43 PM »
Arnold's partner Jim Lorimer lives there. The same reason Weinberger holds the New York Pro in New York and the Ironman show is in Cali.

Special "Lake Lure" Ed
BigNationRadio.com

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2007, 06:02:31 PM »
Arnold's partner Jim Lorimer lives there. The same reason Weinberger holds the New York Pro in New York and the Ironman show is in Cali.

Special "Lake Lure" Ed

who is Jim Lorimer?

CARTEL

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2007, 06:02:49 PM »
i was suprised but i saw a few people in wheelchairs at the expo

Give them a break. They just had a hardcore leg workout.

JediKnight

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2007, 06:07:27 PM »
Colombus has the most schmoes

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2007, 06:15:01 PM »

When Arnold won the Mr. World in Columbus, Ohio he met the promoter, Jim Lorimer, who is/was a lawyer there as well, and expressed his interest to Jim about promoting bodybuilding shows after retirement.

Basically, the bond that started there, stayed there.

larger_format

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2007, 08:34:02 PM »

and why is it always in the Winter ?- the worst time to travel in the Midwest

could it be an economic shot in the arm for Columbus

FYI - Jim Lorimer is a good-ole boy Republican twice as conservative as Arnold
       will ever be -

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2007, 08:36:59 PM »

will ever be -

sounds like an 80 year old gaylord schmoe type guy.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2007, 08:38:14 PM »
and why is it always in the Winter ?- the worst time to travel in the Midwest

could it be an economic shot in the arm for Columbus

will ever be -

Lorimer has huge political connections in Ohio and Columbus.  HUGE!  It is where Arnold won his first show in the US too I think.  But its the political connections that is the main reason.  Allot can get done when you know the right people.  The Arnold is easily the biggest convention to happen in Columbus and probably all of Ohio.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2007, 08:49:34 PM »
Here's an article written 6 years ago on the subject.

Reported By: René de Jong
Sunday, February 4, 2001

There are 26 days until the Arnold Fitness Weekend 2001, March 2-4, in Columbus Ohio. Held at the Greater Columbus Convention Center and Veterans Memorial Auditorium, this awesome celebration features exciting events like the Arnold Martial Arts Festival, Armwrestling Challenge, and showdowns like like the Ms. International, Fitness International and Bench Press Competition.

Although all exciting in their own right, nothing packs more of a wallop during the Arnold Fitness Weekend more than the Arnold Classic, a bodybuilding competition that draws the world's best professionals (male & female) and was the original draw before it expanded to this large smorgasbord of fitness celebration! Created in 1989 by partners Arnold Schwarzenegger and James J. Lorimer, this juggernaut of a bodybuilding event has attracted thousands upon thousands of fans, and brings them back enthusiastically every single year!

So how did this extremely successful business (and personal) relationship begin between Schwarzenegger and Lorimer, and how did it evolve into such a magnificent annual event? The ARNOLD FAN sat down with the gracious Jim Lorimer recently, and discussed the seeds of their success:

TAF: (For people who may be unfamiliar with Jim Lorimer, the man) tell us something about yourself. Where do you come from and where do you live now?

JIM: I live in Columbus Ohio, and I am an attorney. My career was spent as vice president of government relations for a nationwide insurance company here in Columbus Ohio, but I've been engaged in sports promotion for some 40 years.

I was Chairman of the US Olympic Committee for Women's Track & Field in the 60's and from my promotion of track and field, I moved over to the promotion of Weightlifting and Bodybuilding.

In 1967 I ran the National Weight Lifting Championships and the Mr. America contest here in Columbus Ohio which were both very successful contest. I was Chairman of the World Weightlifting Championships here in 1970, and in connection with the World Weightlifting Championships 1970 I also ran a Mr. World Competition that year, in which I invited the 6 top bodybuilders in the world to come in to Columbus Ohio.

One of them was a young Austrian who just came over from Europe, and Arnold (Schwarzenegger) came in that weekend and he won the Mr. World 1970 competition. When he was done competing that day, he came up to me and said: "This is the best competition I've ever been in, when I am done competing in the sport of bodybuilding I want to go into the promotion of the sport, raise the image of the sport and I am going to raise the cash-prizes up to 100,000 dollars and make it a very professional sport." That evening he won a cash-prize of $500 dollars and hearing to say he wanted to raise the cash-prize up to $100,000 I said okay, but I didn't know who he really was.

Five years later, in 1975, when he won his last contest in Africa, he stopped of in Columbus Ohio on his way home to California and he said: "As I told you five years ago, I am now done competing in the sport of bodybuilding, I wanted to go into the promotion of the sport, and I want you to be my partner. So you run the contest and I will help get the athletes to help raise money." That day we shook hands and we now have a partnership for 26 years.

TAF: What made you decide to go into the "bodybuilding business" and when did you start?

JIM: Well, The National AAU (Amateur Athletic Union) knew that I had promoted national sports competitions, so they're the ones who asked me to handle a weight lifting and bodybuilding competition which was the Mr. America Contest. They knew I had some experience, so it was just their request for me to organize the competition. I found it interesting, and even tough I was employed as an attorney for Nation Wide Insurance Company I did this as a sort of a hobby. When I retired 10 years ago from Nation Wide my hobby became a full-time job and retirement.

TAF: What did you think when you saw Arnold for the first time?

JIM: I was very impressed by him, because he was fantastically well built and very intelligent. I did not know him well of course, but you could see there was something special about him. He could tell you what he's going to be doing 5 years from now, that goal-setting ability is very crucial to his success. Because even today he's always planning out some 5 years from now and that's what gives him a goal.

TAF: When was the last time you visited Arnold and Maria at home. Do you visit them often?

JIM: We're very good friends and I gave the reading at Arnold's wedding for Arnold's side of the family. We have a close relationship. He was just here in Columbus two weeks ago again, during the Inner City Games and whenever we go out we usually go out for Arnold's world premieres of his movie each year.

TAF: How did the Arnold Classic come about and how much preparation goes into the Classic?

JIM: Together with Arnold I started running the Mr. Olympia contest in 1976, and we ran that for 5 years in a row. Then, each year after that we began running again World bodybuilding championships, Mr. World and Mr. Universe Contests here in Columbus, but 13 years ago Arnold said we should establish an Arnold Classic. So in 1988 we began the Arnold Classic and it is now, after 13 years, a year round job. It takes us all year long to prepare for, because we have an Arnold Fitness weekend with 8 different competitions over the weekend, in addition to a huge Fitness Expo.

The Fitness weekend is one of the largest fitness expos in the world. There's no fitness weekend that is bigger than the Arnold fitness weekend that I know of. This year we're having 600 booths here, and we're also having competitions in men's and women's bodybuilding and a women's fitness competition. I am having 3000 martial artists come in, I am having 1000 jumpers come in, I am having 100 cheerleading dance-teams come in and I am having an International Arm-Wrestling and International Bench-press competition during the course of the weekend. So we have a huge weekend which requires a full year of preparation.

: