Author Topic: Schoolkids gets shut out: Vagina  (Read 22705 times)

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
Re: Schoolkids gets shut out: Vagina
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2007, 07:43:51 PM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again. You know something is seriously wrong when Deedee doesn't like you.

I forgot to say "hi."  :)

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2007, 07:45:06 PM »
It's pathetic that you keep trying to attribute emotions to me which don't exist.

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=133046.msg1882440#msg1882440

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2007, 07:46:35 PM »
 8) 

any one want popcorn?

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
  • Different Dunes, Same Sand
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2007, 07:52:22 PM »
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=133046.msg1882440#msg1882440

I like Bill and I agree with him about most things. [His favorable comparison of the physical courage of the 9/11 hijackers relative to our Air Force bomber pilots, for example.]

Thread Killer

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2007, 07:53:05 PM »
I forgot to say "hi."  :)

Hello, it's nice to see you posting again.

I just thought of something, bruce is like true adonis and the sarcasm/squadfather account in that he's a lightning rod for posts. Of course to a lesser degree but similar all the same.  He literally gets people posting, probably more than anyone else on this board. Love him or hate him he keeps the board rolling and entertaining.

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2007, 07:55:02 PM »
Hello, it's nice to see you posting again.

I just thought of something, bruce is like true adonis and the sarcasm/squadfather account in that he's a lightning rod for posts. Of course to a lesser degree but similar all the same.  He literally gets people posting, probably more than anyone else on this board. Love him or hate him he keeps the board rolling and entertaining.

Erm, thanks, I think.
Thread Killer

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2007, 08:01:45 PM »
Bruce, do you keep posting my 9/11-hijackers comment in the hope that you'll finally succeed in "exposing" me to the righteous scorn of all?

If your hoped-for groundswell of anti-Ribo sentiment didn't manifest the first 5 times you tried it, I wouldn't get your hopes up for the 6th.  ::)

However, if you'd like to ask Berserker to make a sticky thread on the subject to give your cause maximum exposure, that's fine with me.

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2007, 08:04:38 PM »
Bruce, do you keep posting my 9/11-hijackers comment in the hope that you'll finally succeed in "exposing" me to the righteous scorn of all?

If your hoped-for groundswell of anti-Ribo sentiment didn't manifest the first 5 times you tried it, I wouldn't get your hopes up for the 6th.  ::)

However, if you'd like to ask Berserker to make a sticky thread on the subject to give your cause maximum exposure, that's fine with me.

I'm sorry, are you the same person that just posted a repeat of a previous post?  Or should I direct my accusations of hypocrisy elsewhere?

You're a little embarassed you posted something quite so silly, aren't you.
Thread Killer

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2007, 08:11:58 PM »
You're a little embarassed you posted something quite so silly, aren't you.

Have it your way.

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=133064.0

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2007, 12:42:07 AM »
Oh brother, we'll soon be so dehumanised by political correctness that sex will be banned forever.

I think everyone that's been critisizing BRUCE on this thread should read his take on the issue at hand.

However I think he's wrong with his analysis that it's the "looney left" that is behind the moral panic.

I would attribute this type of values to Bible thumping, "Family Values" Christian Conservatives.

Nothing suggests elsewise.

These Christian Conservatives exists in both parties actually, but mainly within the Republican Party.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2007, 01:43:22 AM »
I think everyone that's been critisizing BRUCE on this thread should read his take on the issue at hand.

However I think he's wrong with his analysis that it's the "looney left" that is behind the moral panic.

I would attribute this type of values to Bible thumping, "Family Values" Christian Conservatives.

These Christian Conservatives exists in both parties actually, but mainly within the Republican Party.

-Hedge

Thanks, Hedge, for actually posting a response to me that's not an attempt at character assassination.  What you've highlighted is the real issue at hand - who is responsible for this ridiculous ban and what do they represent?

I'm still yet to see any evidence it's Christian America to blame, can anyone shed any light?
Thread Killer

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2007, 04:25:24 AM »

-Hedge

It doesn't sound like it was either.  According to the school website, they asked the girls not to include the vagina monologues piece in the open mic sesh because the audience was to be comprised of a general audience including much younger children.  The girls promised they wouldn't, then went ahead and did it anyway.  That's why they were disciplined.  Doesn't sound unreasonable. Unless I'm missing something.

There is a clear difference between putting on a production of a play such as “The Vagina Monologues” and an open performance at the microphone of an excerpt from the play before unsuspecting parents and their children. In the first case, the community would have been aware of the nature of the production and could have made an educated decision to attend or not to attend based upon that knowledge. In the case of the “Open Mic Night,” the community was invited with the expectation that the pieces presented would be appropriate for the general community, including younger children. Parents and community members did not have the ability to make an educated decision about the appropriateness of the content of the presentations for younger children.

There is also a clear difference between what is read and discussed in the classroom and what is presented in an activity open to the entire community. Our judgment was guided by the forum, the audience and the students’ commitment. Our decision was made in a considered, careful and thoughtful manner.

In the meantime, the girls have gotten the whole world talking about vaginas!  Vive les artistes... power to artsy-fartsy liberals.  :)

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2007, 07:32:41 AM »
It doesn't sound like it was either.  According to the school website, they asked the girls not to include the vagina monologues piece in the open mic sesh because the audience was to be comprised of a general audience including much younger children.  The girls promised they wouldn't, then went ahead and did it anyway.  That's why they were disciplined.  Doesn't sound unreasonable. Unless I'm missing something.

There is a clear difference between putting on a production of a play such as “The Vagina Monologues” and an open performance at the microphone of an excerpt from the play before unsuspecting parents and their children. In the first case, the community would have been aware of the nature of the production and could have made an educated decision to attend or not to attend based upon that knowledge. In the case of the “Open Mic Night,” the community was invited with the expectation that the pieces presented would be appropriate for the general community, including younger children. Parents and community members did not have the ability to make an educated decision about the appropriateness of the content of the presentations for younger children.

There is also a clear difference between what is read and discussed in the classroom and what is presented in an activity open to the entire community. Our judgment was guided by the forum, the audience and the students’ commitment. Our decision was made in a considered, careful and thoughtful manner.

In the meantime, the girls have gotten the whole world talking about vaginas!  Vive les artistes... power to artsy-fartsy liberals.  :)

You're missing the point.

To start censor the word "vagina" in the first place, because there are minors in the audience?

WTF? ???

Prudeness gone wild.

I salute these kids for revolting against the system, taking a stand against censorship.

They're essentially fighting for the freedom of speech, freedom of expression, just like the fathers of the constitution did.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2007, 07:35:01 AM »
According to the school website, they asked the girls not to include the vagina monologues piece in the open mic sesh because the audience was to be comprised of a general audience including much younger children.

Because if they learn it's called a vagina - rather than a "down there" - they won't be as ashamed of having one.

Which will make them less inhibited about masturbating with it.

Which will give them sexual pleasure not condoned by the infallible word of God.

Look, if you want to stamp out masturbation because the Bible says it's naughty, go ahead and say so. Then endure the scorn and ridicule that such a posture deserves.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2007, 07:38:51 AM »
Because if they learn it's called a vagina - rather than a "down there" - they won't be as ashamed of having one.

Which will give them sexual pleasure not condoned by the infallible word of God.

Look, if you want to stamp out masturbation because the Bible says it's naughty, go ahead and say so. Then endure the scorn and ridicule that such a posture deserves.

This is why i like you Rib.  You just say it as it is and stay true to what you believe.

I don't agree with most of your stuff however   ;D

This i happen to agree with.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2007, 07:55:24 AM »

I agree with Ozmo:  the thing I like about you is you aren't afraid to say what you believe or acknowledge how extreme your positions may be.  And I also agree with Ozmo that I don't agree with most of what you say, particular the really extreme nonsense like your terrorist comments (which I find outrageous).

That said, you are way off base when it comes to sex and the Bible.  (1) Sexual pleasure isn't prohibited by the Bible.  Have you ever read some of the love letters in the Old Testament between Solomon (I think it was him) and one of his women?  (2)  the Bible doesn't talk about masturbation. 

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2007, 08:01:35 AM »
This is why i like you Rib.  You just say it as it is and stay true to what you believe.

I don't agree with most of your stuff however   ;D

This i happen to agree with.

3:10 into the clip...

Keepin' it real!!! 8)

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2007, 08:08:09 AM »

Keepin' it real!!! 8)

-Hedge

"You're not supposed to go to jail you low expectation having Mutha Fucka".  ;D

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2007, 08:36:49 AM »

Keepin' it real!!! 8)

-Hedge

;D ;D ;D ;D

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2007, 08:41:30 AM »
I agree with Ozmo:  the thing I like about you is you aren't afraid to say what you believe or acknowledge how extreme your positions may be.  And I also agree with Ozmo that I don't agree with most of what you say, particular the really extreme nonsense like your terrorist comments (which I find outrageous).

That said, you are way off base when it comes to sex and the Bible.  (1) Sexual pleasure isn't prohibited by the Bible.  Have you ever read some of the love letters in the Old Testament between Solomon (I think it was him) and one of his women?  (2)  the Bible doesn't talk about masturbation. 

I think Rib is hilarious and I love the sardonic sense of humor!

Btw... Beach Bum, isn't there reference in the bible to the unacceptability of "spilling one's seed on the ground?"

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2007, 08:54:50 AM »
You're missing the point.

To start censor the word "vagina" in the first place, because there are minors in the audience?

WTF? ???

Prudeness gone wild.

I salute these kids for revolting against the system, taking a stand against censorship.

They're essentially fighting for the freedom of speech, freedom of expression, just like the fathers of the constitution did.

-Hedge

Nah, I don't think I'm missing the point.  I can see where the school would have reservations about open mic performance material...and I don't think I'd drag my kid to see the Ginie Monologues... however brilliant it is. The school said that had the girls wanted to put on a performance of the play in its entirety and advertised it as such... they would have agreed.  In fact, there are lots of high schools that put on the performance for Valentine's Day every year all across the continent. So it wasn't a question of censorship, per se. Just the forum.

Perhaps you're just arguing that the States is more puritanical regarding sexual matters than other parts of the world.  In that, you are correct, and you are correct in attributing this to the influence of the religious right.

Anyway, no harm, no foul.  The girls got a one-day detention, and in exchange they got to talk to the author of Ginie Monologues and world-wide publicity. I hope at least one of them fast-tracks a career in the arts out of this!

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2007, 09:01:58 AM »
I thought playing the pork piccolo was condemned as "the sin of Onan", etc.

Apparently, it's slightly more complicated.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/masturba3.htm

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2007, 09:43:15 AM »
I think Rib is hilarious and I love the sardonic sense of humor!

Btw... Beach Bum, isn't there reference in the bible to the unacceptability of "spilling one's seed on the ground?"

Deedee I recall reading something about the "seed" reference, but it has been a while.  I'll look for it when I get home tonight (after Lost).  Haven't replaced the battery on my e-Bible in the office. 

I don't recall ever really being taught anything about masturbation growing up, and I spent about 11 years in a private Christian school and my entire life in church.  That doesn't mean it hasn't been "taught" by certain segments of Christianity, but I have no experience with any of that kind of teaching.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
S

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2007, 01:24:43 PM »

Where exactly in the Bible does it say you're not allowed to masturbate, Ribonucleic?
Thread Killer